HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIV - November Rain

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

vCash: 500
Don't get me started on Jacobs. He was the guy who practically demanded the lockout on the eve of the expiration. That same day he signed Lucic to some absurd contract, and Seguin a few days before that. Come on these guys won't even be UFA's for at least a couple years for Lucic, and a half a dozen for Seguin.

If Lucic is worth $6 million a year right now, then I'm really dreading what Clarkson is worth if he hits the market.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:48 AM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Don't get me started on Jacobs. He was the guy who practically demanded the lockout on the eve of the expiration. That same day he signed Lucic to some absurd contract, and Seguin a few days before that. Come on these guys won't even be UFA's for at least a couple years for Lucic, and a half a dozen for Seguin.

If Lucic is worth $6 million a year right now, then I'm really dreading what Clarkson is worth if he hits the market.
Clarkson won't put up more than 50 points next season so he'll get his 4.5 mill from Lou and like it.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Clarkson won't put up more than 50 points next season so he'll get his 4.5 mill from Lou and like it.
Kovy might not even put up 50 points next season at the way this is going!

I would be fine with $4.5 at the most. If he goes to the market someone will offer him $5 million a year. Mark my words. The shortened season is actually a good thing for us for Clarkson's contract, but bad for him. It at least allows him to not have a high output going into a UFA contract year.

Zajac I'm not sure how much he gets. I'd hope $5.5 million, but it's really gonna suck if we have this same lineup only we're a cap ceiling team after next year's raises. Especially when this team is already not complete with the need for another top 6 winger.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:59 AM
KidRobot

Quote:
Kovy might not even put up 50 points next season at the way this is going!

I would be fine with $4.5 at the most. If he goes to the market someone will offer him $5 million a year. Mark my words. The shortened season is actually a good thing for us for Clarkson's contract, but bad for him. It at least allows him to not have a high output going into a UFA contract year.

Zajac I'm not sure how much he gets. I'd hope $5.5 million, but it's really gonna suck if we have this same lineup only we're a cap ceiling team after next year's raises. Especially when this team is already not complete with the need for another top 6 winger.
I made that prediction on the assumption 12/13 is gone and hopefully we get 82 games in 13/14 lol

I can see the Leafs offering him 5.5-6 and year and regretting it, yes....absolutely.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:01 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
I can see the Leafs offering him 5.5-6 and year and regretting it, yes....absolutely.
Imagine the ridiculous predictions from Leafs fans if they did sign Clarkie

Old
11-16-2012, 01:03 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I made that prediction on the assumption 12/13 is gone and hopefully we get 82 games in 13/14 lol

I would hope he doesn't wanna play there. Given the state of the team now we really can't afford to lose Clarkson or Zajac. Especially if Lou is either gonna replace them with a young player(Elias back at center, and Josefson as 2nd line center) or a player clearly inferior. That was my biggest worry about Parise leaving, and with the options it's looking like we have right now to replace him(Butler, Tedenby) that worry has become very real.

I really don't think everyone wants to play at home though. I think with what Parise did going to Minnesota has us a little jumpy thinking Dave wants to go to Toronto, and Trav wanting to go to Winnipeg. I can see Trav going to Minnesota first if they aren't in cap hell.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:08 AM
KidRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
have you seen his skating and passing?

He's easily a perennial 30/40/70 guy.

Quote:
I would hope he doesn't wanna play there. Given the state of the team now we really can't afford to lose Clarkson or Zajac. Especially if Lou is either gonna replace them with a young player(Elias back at center, and Josefson as 2nd line center) or a player clearly inferior. That was my biggest worry about Parise leaving, and with the options it's looking like we have right now to replace him(Butler, Tedenby) that worry has become very real.

I really don't think everyone wants to play at home though. I think with what Parise did going to Minnesota has us a little jumpy thinking Dave wants to go to Toronto, and Trav wanting to go to Winnipeg. I can see Trav going to Minnesota first if they aren't in cap hell.
Well, while I think Clarky is a bit more loyal than Zach (****, gomez was more loyal) but the combination of hometown+crazy Burke overpayment might be enough to lure him away.

Though Clarky definitely appreciates Mr. Lamoriello's decision to sign him after not one team decided he was worth a 7th rounder. That's for certain.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

If we did lose Clarkson, and Zajac though our third longest tenured player becomes Dainius Zubrus. If we lose him as he's a UFA also, our third longest tenured player will become Bryce Salvador from trade deadline February 2008

Actually Andy Greene made his debut in 06/07 late in the season around the same time Clarkson did.

I think Zubrus stays, and I wanna keep him. Not for the cap hit he has now though. $2.5 million tops, especially if it's multi years. After Sal's big contract, can't do it. Not another Pandolfo situation. I promise no one will like that.

Patty stays, but hopefully they don't pull the same thing with Marty last year with him. He's too late in his career to wanna leave unless we don't want him here. He cried on the bench when he broke the Devils points record.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:14 AM
KidRobot

If we lose Zajac, (my favorite and arguably most valuable player) I may start rooting for the Habs.

It would be BAAAAAAAD.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
If we lose Zajac, (my favorite and arguably most valuable player) I may start rooting for the Habs.

It would be BAAAAAAAD.
It's hard to gauge what he's worth. 2 years ago he(As well as the rest of the team) had an off year, and he's better than how he performed that year. Though he was third in points on the team behind Patty, and Kovy with 44 points.

Last year an injury for most of the season, and when he was playing mid season he was not 100 percent as he was back out again within weeks. Terrific playoff performance though.

Clarkson is hard to gauge too. 30 goal season last year which was the first time he hit over 17. I think he can be a perennial 20 goal scorer as he was on pace for that in 09/10 had he played a whole season, and scored 17 with mostly 4th line, and some PP minutes in 08/09. Had a bad 10/11 also like the rest of his team.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Richer's Ghost
Mr. Ferguson to you

vCash: 425
And thus, the circle is completed.

Quote:
RED DEER, Alberta (AP) -- Brent Sutter is back behind the bench.
The owner and general manager of the Western Hockey League's Red Deer Rebels, Sutter fired coach Jesse Wallin on Tuesday and took over on an interim basis.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brent-s...4677--nhl.html

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
11-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
No different from their ridiculous predictions about every other player the Leafs have ever signed.

Quote:
Though Clarky definitely appreciates Mr. Lamoriello's decision to sign him after not one team decided he was worth a 7th rounder. That's for certain.
I think this fact is what will keep Clarkson here for a smaller offer than he could get elsewhere. He has even said before, unprovoked, that he wants to be a Devils lifer. TG had to twist Parise's arm to get him to talk about that, and then even then he was hedging about the money being right.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
Bettman suggested two-week break because NHL heard Fehr told players on conf. call owners' date was Dec. 1. Wanted to show there is no date.

Well that's a great ****ing idea, take a break so that by the time you come back half the games are cancelled.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Cowbell232

Just realized, if the NHL cancels out the season and I get angry enough to never go to another game... the last one I saw was a Devils SCF win. Granted it wasn't winning the Cup, but still.

I actually think I might be okay with that.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

no, you wont be. you should be MORE pissed. windows close. we shouldve built off of that momentum, not paused for 60+ days to take a steaming **** on a loyal fanbase. god, **** this all, its really stupid

Old
11-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Nick0930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Just realized, if the NHL cancels out the season and I get angry enough to never go to another game... the last one I saw was a Devils SCF win. Granted it wasn't winning the Cup, but still.

Good point. I can brag about being the last person in my town to see an NHL game live. Of course, I could probably lay claim to being the last to see a Cup Final game live since 1993 since this town is about 98% Habs fans, 1.99% Bruins and me the only Devils fan.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:41 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post

Well that's a great ****ing idea, take a break so that by the time you come back half the games are cancelled.
arent we already on a break? from hockey, proposals? wtf??

Old
11-16-2012, 10:07 AM
VaxjoDevil

Seems to me like Fehr thinks can bully himself out of this. Thing is he can't. Bettman is way too tough.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
And thus, the circle is completed.
Hopefully the rink is walking distance to his ranch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Good point. I can brag about being the last person in my town to see an NHL game live. Of course, I could probably lay claim to being the last to see a Cup Final game live since 1993 since this town is about 98% Habs fans, 1.99% Bruins and me the only Devils fan.
And I imagine the Bruins fans are just total azzes or faux hockey fans, right?

Old
11-16-2012, 11:02 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post

I might be scary apathetic right now if it wasn't for that playoff run. If we'd lost Game 6 of the first round (which easily could have happened) I don't know how much I would care about this **** now.

Not to mention my other two pro sports teams are useless pieces of **** right now so no hockey is pretty much no sports period at this point.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 11-16-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old
11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
No different from their ridiculous predictions about every other player the Leafs have ever signed.

I think this fact is what will keep Clarkson here for a smaller offer than he could get elsewhere. He has even said before, unprovoked, that he wants to be a Devils lifer. TG had to twist Parise's arm to get him to talk about that, and then even then he was hedging about the money being right.
Yeah you're right. If we still wanna give Zach some sympathy, and even believe he really wanted to sign here go ahead. Lou has to change this old fashioned concept, and break from tradition(Like he did with Marty, and Stevens) and try to give an extension.

However Parise is not on Lou. There was an interview with Parise mid season, and I'm not sure if it was with TG or not. I don't think it was, but he talked about being a UFA, and said ''It's something you work toward in your career to get to that point, and be able to see what you can get'' or something. Not word for word, but it basically said to me he wants to test the market, and he's worked hard to be able to see what he's worth. That right there looking back tells you he wasn't signing an extension. I think Lou's ''We don't wanna distract from the season'' was really just a line to distract from the fact Parise didn't want an extension.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Yeah you're right. If we still wanna give Zach some sympathy, and even believe he really wanted to sign here go ahead. Lou has to change this old fashioned concept, and break from tradition(Like he did with Marty, and Stevens) and try to give an extension.

However Parise is not on Lou. There was an interview with Parise mid season, and I'm not sure if it was with TG or not. I don't think it was, but he talked about being a UFA, and said ''It's something you work toward in your career to get to that point, and be able to see what you can get'' or something. Not word for word, but it basically said to me he wants to test the market, and he's worked hard to be able to see what he's worth. That right there looking back tells you he wasn't signing an extension. I think Lou's ''We don't wanna distract from the season'' was really just a line to distract from the fact Parise didn't want an extension.
Ehh. Looking back, the obvious problem we'd always have wrt Lou's way of dealing with this is that Parise (along with the rest of the 2012 ufa class) was looking to get a lockout protection in the shape of a signing bonus that neither one of Lou or Vanderbeek were willing to give or even in a position to give.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Ehh. Looking back, the obvious problem we'd always have wrt Lou's way of dealing with this is that Parise (along with the rest of the 2012 ufa class) was looking to get a lockout protection in the shape of a signing bonus that neither one of Lou or Vanderbeek were willing to give or even in a position to give.
Still think he wasn't staying. The rumors were started in mid season that he, and Suter were a package deal. Obviously someone close to one or both of them leaked this, and it spread. Seemed like a dumb rumor at the time, but it came true. Only thing they got wrong was the team they would end up with would be Detroit.

Suter was close to signing with the Wings, and they even picked him up at his farm in the team plane on the 1st or 2nd of July(I think this is what happened if I remember correctly) obviously the Wings had no interest in Zach though, or just couldn't give him a good deal. Zach got Minnesota to give Ryan a deal, and the rest is history. I always was funny about the one year RFA deal. I listened to valid answers as to why it didn't necessarily mean he was testing the market.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
VaxjoDevil

If there is a full season lockout, Minnesota will pay 20 million to Parise and Suter for doing nothing.

If you really think of it, the numbers, and what people make in average for working a full year, that is just absolutely ridiculous.

Poor players.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
If there is a full season lockout, Minnesota will pay 20 million to Parise and Suter for doing nothing.
Wow that's a joke. That's their fault those suckers. Again this isn't cap circumvention? Both of these contracts were not cap circumvention?

Closed Thread