HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Burns to Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Well, at least summer 2011 , no teams in the league was willing to give more than SJ offer to MIN. Have we a good reason they would be now?
So ww kinda agree, SJ value him more than most team in the league, so he wont be traded.
we weren't actively shopping him, so...your logic there is a little inapplicable.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
He's saying Coyle is on the same level as Scheifele (not sure if I agree with that one), Palmieri, and Saad.

I think you misunderstood, because he's saying exactly what you think.
I don't know why he used two terms than he could have called them all average. Calling Coyle average and then using the term mediocre for the other three I think points the other direction. In my experience average is a better term than mediocre, maybe you missed the point.

But if he was saying they are all the same than yeah I think they are around the same area.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:26 PM
CBJenga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I don't know why he used two terms than he could have called them all average. Calling Coyle average and then using the term mediocre for the other three I think points the other direction. In my experience average is a better term than mediocre, maybe you missed the point.

But if he was saying they are all the same than yeah I think they are around the same area.
He was saying if Coyle is average, then these other guys are mediocre, because Coyle is right there with them in terms of value.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
One of the big 4 to bring the Sharks to the table, I think.
Not commenting on the value of Brent Burns but literally any thread involving a trade takes less then 2 posts to mention the big 4. It doesnt matter the name, it can range from Brent Burns to Cody Franson to Luongo to Hanzel from Phoenix and somehow it always takes one of the big 4 (who came up with that nickname?).

Old
11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Arrch

vCash: 3095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Not commenting on the value of Brent Burns but literally any thread involving a trade takes less then 2 posts to mention the big 4. It doesnt matter the name, it can range from Brent Burns to Cody Franson to Luongo to Hanzel from Phoenix and somehow it always takes one of the big 4 (who came up with that nickname?).
You ask for an untouchable player, we're going to request an untouchable player.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
You ask for an untouchable player, we're going to request an untouchable player.
Re-read my post since you missed the point. The very first sentence should have been enough for you not to post this

Old
11-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Arrch

vCash: 3095
Quote:
Re-read my post since you missed the point. The very first sentence should have been enough for you not to post this
It was more of a general statement that fed off of your post, but if you want a more direct response...

Make a Value of: Handzus to Edmonton thread and see if that hypothesis hold up.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:38 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
He was saying if Coyle is average, then these other guys are mediocre, because Coyle is right there with them in terms of value.
I guess it is how you look at it. I was explaining why I responded with that. If they were all similar use the same word, for me average means better than mediocre.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Seems HF thinks Edmonton doesn't have any players outside of them that hold any value in a one-on-one swap. Understandably, not many fans wanna give up their studs for bits and pieces. Sure, Klefbom++ would be nice, but that doesn't help San Jose now- which they desire.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Seems HF thinks Edmonton doesn't have any players outside of them that hold any value in a one-on-one swap. Understandably, not many fans wanna give up their studs for bits and pieces. Sure, Klefbom++ would be nice, but that doesn't help San Jose now- which they desire.
Yeah, this really isn't rocket-surgery here. Value for value. All too often the trade forums are filled with proposals to land studs, only offering scraps in return.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Sharksfan83

Yea Brent Burns is scraps and spare parts.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Let me be a little more clear.

Brent Burns is the most untouchable Shark in my books. He's 27, 6'5'', has a wicked wrister, elite skating, strong positional play, and underrated defense. As of the second half of last season, he is our #1 defenseman. He's signed to an awesome contract for 5 more years. He's not going anywhere.

Burns fits in with our core perfectly, plus he's a perfect compliment to 25 y/o Vlasic. Those two are going to be our top pairing for a while.

We traded Setoguchi, Coyle, and a first to get him. Unless you can blow that out of the water, it's not happening.

Up this or Sharks walk.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:34 PM
rockinghockey

With Thorton and Marleau both getting up there in age and they will start to decline in two seasons that is when SJ will start the rebuild and Burns will be traded to do a rebuild. That is when EDM will sweep in with its deep prospect pool and get him without giving up one of the FAB 5.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
With Thorton and Marleau both getting up there in age and they will start to decline in two seasons that is when SJ will start the rebuild and Burns will be traded to do a rebuild. That is when EDM will sweep in with its deep prospect pool and get him without giving up one of the FAB 5.
It's very unlikely that the Sharks will ever really rebuild. They're not that kind of franchise. They will have a year where they stink, they will sell off what they can, and use what they have to load up a different playoff caliber roster. They don't have the time or the resources to go through a legitimate rebuild.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
MarleauApologist
I no much like LA

Yes, what Pinkfloyd said is correct, although it would probably be best for the team itself.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:48 PM
BCShark

one of the four or nothing

Old
11-15-2012, 11:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I still think one of them would have to go back. But even then the Oilers would have to already be very good and Burns would have to be pretty excited as he has a modified NTC. Seems people are overlooking that but my guess is he has quite a few teams he can list on that he won't go to. Maybe things will change for Edmonton, but right no I doubt they have made their way off that list.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
With you until you named three guys that are basically the same caliber of prospect as Coyle. He is a very good prospect though, just disagree with putting him a notch above the other guys. They are all very good prospects and in the top 50, probably top 30.
Well, HF disagrees with you as Coyle is ranked higher than those guys. Coyle is not an 'average' prospect. At worst he's a blue chip prospect and those you don't get too often. He's done nothing since his draft year but progress.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:02 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
i am just arguing for arguing, i dont actually have a point.
Quoted for future reference. I have long believed this to be true.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Thats because Edmonton doesnt have much value on their roster other than the "big-4".. So Phoenix isnt actively shopping Hanzal, what would you expect as an answer from Yote fans when youre looking to poach their defensive center? Hemsky or Gagner or Whitney just arent going to cut it.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:40 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Omark, Pajaarvi & a 2nd ought to get it done.

Joking

Old
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Omark, Pajaarvi & a 2nd ought to get it done.

Joking
As an Oiler fan , why would you think this would get it done ?
Sorry did not see the joking in the white

Old
11-16-2012, 09:13 AM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Probably shouldn't have mentioned that...

Incoming Ottawa fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMcFatty View Post
Oh, I totally agree that his attitude hasn't always been great. But it has been with the Wild, as far as I know.
He wore the C for a preseason game in Ottawa when Alfie was out. He`ll be fine in Minny unless things really go south. That`s when you have to watch out for him.

11-16-2012, 10:04 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Setoguchi has been, for the last three seasons, a 40 point player at best, and only hit north of that once, when he hit 65. Coyle is an average prospect. The first round pick was 28th Overall.

even if he did get much better, which he did, I don't see how it warrants any of the top 4, save for Yakupov who is totally unproven in the NHL.
This.

Gagner, Pajaarvi and a 2nd or a prospect like Marincin. The value beats what the Sharks gave up, but I don't think it touches their needs enough to consider a move. Burns for Mr Inconsistent, a prospect and a 1st was a steal.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:06 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Burns is a great player, I don't think the Sharks would be out of line to ask for Yakupov for him straight up in this situation, which Edmonton doesn't do.

The problem with the Oilers is that all their best pieces are the ones they need. Makes them hard to do big trades with.

Closed Thread