HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 09:02 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If you make cap hit = annual salary then you don't need the age 35 retirement rule. Think about it.

A lot of teenagers are talented at multiple sports and end up making a choice. I think it's more of an issue in the US.

Not sure why you focused on what were two secondary points. Maybe I just shouldn't make secondary points. It confuses people.
Your long post with suggestions was thorough, and reasonable.

Yes. Secondary topics in the same message are dangerous, due to the unknown ability of the recipients. I always assume the lowest comprehension level rules the day, in all correspondence.

This is why all of my professional correspondence is limited to one topic per message. My posts here however tend to ramble, and rant, due mainly to inebriation.

It is in fact difficult to limit messages this way, as one feels that secondary topics are also important, or urgent.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I wouldn't even watch it for free on the internet. What a total disaster that would be for the owners, they should do it for sure.
I have cheered for the habs when they had Rejean Houle making the decisions about the personnel on the ice...what's the difference?

I'm not losing any sleep without hockey, but I will be tuning in for sure the second that the habs will be on RDS 3-4 times a week. Players come and go all the time...

It's interesting to think about the different reasons that fans cheer though...

Old
11-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I have cheered for the habs when they had Rejean Houle making the decisions about the personnel on the ice...what's the difference?

I'm not losing any sleep without hockey, but I will be tuning in for sure the second that the habs will be on RDS 3-4 times a week. Players come and go all the time...

And you will be tuning out, eventually.

You watch the habs 3-4 times a week because they put forth NHL talent that is mediocre. When they put something like what we had after the deadline last year, people stop watching. Heck, even I stopped watching unless I was at home with nothing to do. Before that though, you make plans to watch the games. Now because our team had become so bad, which usually means boring, I started watching less.
This despite having guys like MaxPac, Cole, Plek, PK, Price, Gorges still around.

So if you bring in replacement players that are not, at all, NHL players, you won't be watching them as regularly. Not unless you have nothing to do on every single night they play.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Interesting read...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...l-be-permanent

I expect things won't move for a couple weeks and they get back to meeting in a couple weeks. Maybe both sides will try and meet in the middle for a 40-50 game season...or not and the year will be lost.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Interesting read...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...l-be-permanent

I expect things won't move for a couple weeks and they get back to meeting in a couple weeks. Maybe both sides will try and meet in the middle for a 40-50 game season...or not and the year will be lost.
Interesting read. I'm inclined to agree with his assumption that Fehr, in fact, wants to make a deal. I feel it's merely a staring contest at this point with the players willing to blink, but only as a last resort. None of them are willing to torch the entire season without making some sort of effort to save it.

It's inevitable. Ego and petulance have won out to this point (on both sides), but bank accounts will have the last word. As per usual. Both sides know that if they allow another season to to be cancelled, the effects would be irreversible in some markets.

I think we'll hear word of a new deal in early to mid December.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:14 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

I don't honour a team that doesn't honour its contracts. When they lock out the players and then bring in replacements it is no longer the CH, it is "Bettmans travelling sideshow of lies and dishonesty".

Old
11-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:

100% agree.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And you will be tuning out, eventually.

You watch the habs 3-4 times a week because they put forth NHL talent that is mediocre. When they put something like what we had after the deadline last year, people stop watching. Heck, even I stopped watching unless I was at home with nothing to do. Before that though, you make plans to watch the games. Now because our team had become so bad, which usually means boring, I started watching less.
This despite having guys like MaxPac, Cole, Plek, PK, Price, Gorges still around.

So if you bring in replacement players that are not, at all, NHL players, you won't be watching them as regularly. Not unless you have nothing to do on every single night they play.
Please keep in mind that every team would be in the same boat, so I would not tune out because my team would have as good a chance at being terrific as the next team. Every team would be using replacements, not just the Habs. As a Habs fan, I watch as many games as possible every year, even when we suck. I would happily watch replacement players if it came to that.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Please keep in mind that every team would be in the same boat, so I would not tune out because my team would have as good a chance at being terrific as the next team. Every team would be using replacements, not just the Habs. As a Habs fan, I watch as many games as possible every year, even when we suck. I would happily watch replacement players if it came to that.
Doesn't matter, I don't enjoy watching the minor leagues all that much. I want to watch elite talent, for the rest I rather do something else. Might watch the occasional game, but I wouldn't watch every game and set the pvr for when I can't see one live.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Kriss E

What is this garbage about having a two week break from negotiations?? The hell is wrong with these idiots.
Go on vacation for two weeks? Enjoy the sun and sip on some pina coladas?? W.t.f

I'm so sick of this crap, both sides are freaking moronic. Bettman with his stupid 2 week off proposal, and Steve Fehr with his BS positive comment ''one thing we agree on is when the ball starts rolling, negotiations will quickly be over in 1-3 days type of thing''. So get the freaking ball rolling ffs.

Pathetic.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:08 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Looks like the owners aren't worried about the money not made this season. Is that also a strategy?

A 2 weeks break is a great idea! Just in time for Black Friday.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:26 PM
jwolf

Quote:
What is this garbage about having a two week break from negotiations?? The hell is wrong with these idiots.
Go on vacation for two weeks? Enjoy the sun and sip on some pina coladas?? W.t.f

I'm so sick of this crap, both sides are freaking moronic. Bettman with his stupid 2 week off proposal, and Steve Fehr with his BS positive comment ''one thing we agree on is when the ball starts rolling, negotiations will quickly be over in 1-3 days type of thing''. So get the freaking ball rolling ffs.

Pathetic.
Two weeks off?? TWO WEEKS?!? Why not two months? Yah, come back after the holidays. Sure, why not? I posted just today how I thought a deal would be done by mid-December... well, so much for that!
Every day these yahoos give us new incentive to find other interests in life other than hockey.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:45 PM
DAChampion

I didn't think they would go through with a lockout.

The NHL as a whole is immensely profitable, ~130 milion in operating income, the players also make an average of ~2.4 million/year.

Who are the seven owners on the executive committee? I need a list of teams to hate when hockey resumes... Minnesota, Boston, who else?

Old
11-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:

The NHL as a whole is immensely profitable, ~130 milion in operating income, the players also make an average of ~2.4 million/year.

Who are the seven owners on the executive committee? I need a list of teams to hate when hockey resumes... Minnesota, Boston, who else?
as if any of us needed any more reasons to hate the Bruins lol...i think Philly is on the list too

Old
11-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:

Thankfully, the Habs are not on it. Both sides are being idiots...

Two weeks off...sheer stupidity.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Kriss E

Who gets to be on the exec. committee? Is it a yearly vote among owners?
I would have imagined that the most profitable teams and the original 6 ones should be there..They're the ones that make this league survive.
Why would the owner of a team in Minny be on..?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Pathetic.
Both sides are pissed off and think they are giving too much, so may as well take a break. It's not like a deal was imminent.

Lots of hockey and football to watch right now so no worries.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Pathetic.
Yet both sides try their best to convince people that they care about fans lol...

Old
11-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Both sides are pissed off and think they are giving too much, so may as well take a break. It's not like a deal was imminent.

Lots of hockey and football to watch right now so no worries.
I don't enjoy watching minor league or junior hockey. Too busy with other things than to make time for that. Football mainly happens on Sunday, then there's one game on Monday and Thursday, and they're not always the most entertaining ones.

You don't take a break from negotiations. this is nothing more than a tactic from the NHL. Owners are seemingly showing that they don't care how long it'll take, they won't budge much from their proposals.
No matter what side you're on about this lockout (not that you should have one, both have handled it poorly), it's becoming clearer and clearer that the players will have to budge unless they want to miss out a whole season, and then again, if they do hold out a year, they'll likely have to make the same concessions for a new season to start next year anyways.

At some point you have to know when to cut your losses short.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Habs

Quote:
I

You don't take a break from negotiations. this is nothing more than a tactic from the NHL. Owners are seemingly showing that they don't care how long it'll take, they won't budge much from their proposals.
Its a way for the owners to raise their finger up to Fehr. This lockout has become personal because both Fehr and Gary are more worried about their egos than the game.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Maverik

The break thing is only another trick up Bettman's sleeve. Starve them off kind of strategy. The longer they wait, the more pressing the "membership" will be on the PA to get a deal done.

Owners? They have other business to attend and other means to get money in..

Old
11-16-2012, 09:34 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its a way for the owners to raise their finger up to Fehr. This lockout has become personal because both Fehr and Gary are more worried about their egos than the game.
No it's a standoff given that the league already made their best offer and that Fehr won't blink on the players' position. This IS A LOCKOUT, so the owners are standing pat until the players move closer to their position. So of course if Fehr calls in to say he doesn't know what the next move is (when he perfectly knows what the owners are expecting), Bettman is going to mock him big times.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...n_ever_at_cba/

Notice how RDS isn't reporting the part where Fehr initiated these calls. Yah, like it was hard to see this network's bias before..

Old
11-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Doesn't matter, I don't enjoy watching the minor leagues all that much. I want to watch elite talent, for the rest I rather do something else. Might watch the occasional game, but I wouldn't watch every game and set the pvr for when I can't see one live.
I find junior and univeristy a lot more entertaining than AHL.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Yet both sides try their best to convince people that they care about fans lol...
Without fans there is no "pie" to split at 50-50 or 57-43. Why would either side NOT care about fans?

Old
11-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Without fans there is no "pie" to split at 50-50 or 57-43. Why would either side NOT care about fans?
Because the owners/players know there will always be fans...regardless of how long this lockout last. They're not fools and it's time fans stop taking this personally.

It's not about us fans..it's about the owners/players and THEIR money. Period. Whether they care about us fans is really inconsequential to this whole lockout debacle. In fact, the longer this lockout last, the more likely fans are to come back ready to spend even more money on their product. I mean, sure, some fans they'll never gain back...but for the most part, hockey fans are all core fans who will come back no matter what.

I can live with the fact that i'ts not about me, I never thought it was about me, the fan...but what I can't stand is them trying to make it seem like they care about me or any other fan.

Last edited by 417: 11-16-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Closed Thread