HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
thedonger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Gonna try that, thanks for the tip!
super glue will work fine in a pinch, but it's pretty brittle and will likely fall apart pretty easily. for a more permanent solution, try using a 2-part epoxy.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those Dragon Dolomites had kind of weak blades from what I recall. Not as bad as the HD blades but still not the best. Not nearly as durable as the original Dolos but much better puck feel.

And there is a big difference between Warrior 70 flex intermediate vs 75 flex senior when cut to the same length. The Senior will be closer to 85 flex when cut down to the same length as the Intermediate.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Robs789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Any Easton <$70 that is Sakic/Hall curve and 65 flex. I'm not very picky on model. I just particularly like the flex more than anything else since I'm not that strong.
^Lol, this is me summed up. Been using only Eastons for years now. S16, s5, s15, all 65 sakic.

Easton S15 Grip/ 65 Flex

Compared to old sticks ive used this has had simply the best feel. Super light, great feel to the stick and a durable too. Bought this stick back in January, and im still using it (Play about 1-2 a week) Although i also generally never take slapshots either though.

Bottom of the blade is starting to go too

Next: Any suggestions within the new Eastons?

Last edited by Robs789: 11-16-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Robs789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
mgd150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs789 View Post
^Lol, this is me summed up. Been using only Eastons for years now. S16, s5, s15, all 65 sakic.

Easton S15 Grip/ 65 Flex

Compared to old sticks ive used this has had simply the best feel. Super light, great feel to the stick and a durable too. Bought this stick back in January, and im still using it (Play about 1-2 a week) Although i also generally never take slapshots either though.

I love the new 65S II. The black and yellow one, not the red and black one. I think the original ones had durability issues or something, so Easton re-released the stealth line (65S, RS, etc).

mgd150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:58 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs789 View Post

Easton S15 Grip/ 65 Flex

If you want similar feel, can't go wrong in trying the 65S. Bit of a downgrade from your S15 so perhaps the 75S.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I've tried all sorts of sticks, but for the past several years, I've stuck with Easton's Forsberg/Zetterberg curve. It's difficult to try out new sticks when they cost so much.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:19 AM
youthoftoday

I started playing about a year and 1/2 ago at the age of 37. I played a little as a kid, but stick technology has change just a little in 25+ years! I spent a lot on equipment, so when it came time to get a stick, I went cheap with a Bauer Vapor X15. I knew nothing about flex, so I didn't even look at that. I ended up with a Kane curve because I think that's all the store had. After a few months I thought I had lost my stick, so I upgraded to the same model, but an X20 Grip.

Now, I feel like I'm getting better and I'm ready to jump up to a "real" stick. I'm mainly taking wrist and snap shots at this point. DOn't have the confidence in my slapper to take on in a game. I trying not spend more than $150. I've been looking at these..

Easton Synergy EQ50- guy on my team has one and he loves it. I tried it for a few minutes in practice and I liked the feel. I've seen some pretty good deals on it and can definitely get it for under $100.

Bauer Supreme Total One- probably more stick than I need, but a few people have recommend it. I've seen these for around $150 at different places.

Base Savoy- There's a dealer in the rink I play in and I had my son fitted for one last week. I was thinking about doing it myself.

Sherwood N8- I know this is on the lower end, but I guy on my team swears by them. Tried it for a few minutes and it felt OK. Weight wasn't too bad for $100 stick.

I'm open to any recommendations as well. I'm 5'10", 160 and don't have a lot of power in my shot yet. I'm looking at a 77 Flex at this point.

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:53 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Those Dragon Dolomites had kind of weak blades from what I recall. Not as bad as the HD blades but still not the best. Not nearly as durable as the original Dolos but much better puck feel.

And there is a big difference between Warrior 70 flex intermediate vs 75 flex senior when cut to the same length. The Senior will be closer to 85 flex when cut down to the same length as the Intermediate.
Yeah, just retaped it and it doesn't look good. There's a small cut in the middle as well, prolly from a skate, and that's how it started on my spyne too. Oh well, for the price it's OK. I also had a look, you were right, it's not an intermediate, it only says "Draper 75". Wierd thing is, it's not as long as a "normal" senior stick, I only had to cut 1.5".

My buddy got the new Covert DT1 and it friggin broke on him in the 3rd game. He's kind of hard on his sticks, but his Widow held up 4 months. Oh well, I still have 6 sticks to go, before I have to worry about what to get next

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First game tonight with the new Warrior Covert DT2 (55 flex).

This stick is very light and well balanced. Significantly better than the old Dynasty and Diablo sticks. Blade feel is very good but being so whippy the stick was a hair tricky to work with catching hard passes.

Shooting is fantastic. I barely take slappers and will even less with this flex. But the light weight and balance means no lag in wrist shots. There is SERIOUS power with this stick, significantly more than the old 70 flex Diablo and Dynasty...quite possibly the most kick and power I've felt from a stick. I don't know if it's the flex or the design but it's fantastic.

In warmups I was clanging off the post and bouncing out of the zone. Guys seemed fairly impressed. In game, I had a shot on the goalie so hard that when he gloved it he couldn't clamp down and it actually bounced out of the glove and kicked back out front several feet. First time I've seen that.

Downside is accuracy might have taken a bit of a hit with that whippiness, at least until I get more time with it. Might have been a one-off...but might have been too whippy.

The light weight also made stick plays easy. I broke up a few rushes coming back with one-handed stick checks and lifts. Funny play was when I poke checked a really big strong guy while he was shooting and his shot was so hard my stick flew halfway across the ice.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:01 PM
TieClark

I unloaded probably the hardest shot I've ever taken in my life with the N12 last night. Off the crossbar and out but it literally came out of nowhere.. didn't really lean into the shot all that much which makes me think the low kick point allowed me to get much more on it.

Love this stick... will definitely get another if this one breaks.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Thesensation19

the white sticks like ccm and easton made r pretty big. the idea was pretty smart. i like the white design and believe it can help. i use the mako commonly but not always because its the cheaper version and frankly my beat up s19 feels better.

u know, i saw a easton lax stick, talon, in which it is designed w a certain wood. i would love for a hockey stick like this, one that is very durable, has that great feel w the puck and bends well. i am sure w the right type wood this be a.cool stick.

ive been using less tape on wood and my mako. the blades of these r made w strong material. pretty cool

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Erz8771

Since I only now play beer league I have a hardtime justifying paying big bucks for sticks. I bought a EQ30 and I wasnt very impressed with it, it has durability issues. I used it for maybe 2 games and the blade tip started to chip. When that started to chip I bough a 65s and I love it. Seems to be holding up well and feels nice.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
bp spec

I use Bauer OnePro 77flex, P88 curve. I have like five of them. Our team got them very cheap due to sponsorship.

All time favorite stick is the Bauer One95.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:39 PM
leftwinger37

As I have vented in other threads, I have been beside myself since Warrior discontinued the Vanek pattern. I have used Weight/Vanek Dolo blades for the past three years with a Easton Synthesis Pro Shaft (the yellow one!) and more recently with the Warrior Dynasty shaft (also the Yellow one).

After experimenting with several other retail patterns (Kovalev, Spezza, Ryan) I have concluded that there is no suitable replacement retail pattern for me. I have had a couple CCM/RBK pro stock OPS in the D-15 pattern; I am quite fond of it, but it's hard to get attached to pro patterns because of the limited availablity.

Recently I have been looking into custom blades. I just placed an order with Eleven Hockey for three custom blades. Since I used to be a big fan of the Double Trouble blades back in the day, I was happy to learn that Bending Branches' innovations are available through Eleven.

I ended up creating a custom tapered heel pattern with a squared toe, a short hosel, and Double Trouble reinforcement. Their customer service was really good and my order was placed within four days of me sending in my sample (it helps that they're in MN and I'm in MI). I will post pics once I receive them and let you guys know how they perform. In all of my years playing hockey, this is my first custom order so I can't wait!

Last edited by leftwinger37: 11-20-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added a link to their site
leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:54 AM
od71

What sticks do you use?

Easton S7 Sakic 85

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:58 AM
AIREAYE

Seriously, just the next page over : http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1277077

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I use a warrior swizzle with a Vanek 87 flex

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Trl3789

I'm looking to branch out from bauer and try some new sticks. I was hoping to get one easton and one warrior ~ $80 each. Anyone have any recommendations?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, put the budget for the two together and just get once good stick rather than two crappy ones. You could find a clearance RS or Widow for that price.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I have two sticks that I actually use and about 10 I don't.

My main is currently a Reekob Ai9. I love this thing. They are priced at over $200.00 currently but if I run inot a sale I will likely snag another.

I also use a Warrior Widow for pick up games outdoors. Again, a high end stick in terms of price but I don't like it nearly as much as the Reebok. I will likely grab something cheaper when that one breaks.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah, put the budget for the two together and just get once good stick rather than two crappy ones. You could find a clearance RS or Widow for that price.
Guess that's fair. Guess it makes more sense to get them one at a time high end and spread them out. Looks like I'm going for a widow.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Which Bauer sticks did you like/dislike?

Old
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Was using & loving my 70 flex Warrior Dolomite, but I'm not sure what changed cause now I find it way too flexy and am going back to my 85 flex sticks that were in storage. Still a great stick for wristers and passes, but feels like I'm gonna snap it in a puck battle.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Trl3789

So my main three (I have a one30 I got when I was just starting out, don't use it any more though) are a 2 piece x60, a one piece one100, and a nexus 600. I use the one100 and the 600 is my back up right now. For whatever reason, I could never get comfortable with the x60. I didn't like the blade feel at all and still have a hard time getting it to flex (all of them are 87 flex P88's). I like the nexus, like that its a bit whippier, but its also heavy. The one100 is just the stick I've felt the most comfortable with

Old
12-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Vapor sticks were/are notoriously stiff and had bad puck feel comparatively, so that makes sense. I'd almost say you might want to try a 75-ish flex. What's your height?