HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooklyn Themed Secondary Logo / Third Jersey

Old
11-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Bert Marshall days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
The football teams situation is so different. Adding NJ to their logo/team name/whatever has little financial impact for the teams. NJ Football fans were likely Jets/Giants fans before they moved in anyway.

The Islanders would be foolish not to embrace the fact that come 2015, they will be an NHL franchise based in NYC. For all intents & purposes a large market team. Sure there's plenty of people in Nassau/Suffolk, but this isn't even about a # of people. It's New York City, and Long Island will never compare. Hell, we're actually going to have media besides Newsday, Islanders TV & Islanderspointblank going to our games now. Imagine that, picking up the NY Post and there's actually an article about the Isles. Imagine the Isles actually win the Stanley Cup one year. The parade isn't going to be down Hempstead Turnpike ending up in the concrete oasis that is the NVMC parking lot. It will be either in Manhattan or through Brooklyn.

The organization absolutely should alter the logo to show where they actually play.
Bingo. Can't wait for the first ad with Tavares face all over NYC. He'll get the attention he deserves. Real media coverage and getting treated like a real NY pro team will be a blessing!

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:30 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Bingo. Can't wait for the first ad with Tavares face all over NYC. He'll get the attention he deserves. Real media coverage and getting treated like a real NY pro team will be a blessing!
When the Angels began winning in Anaheim and the team proceeded with the name change - to gain the LA market share and revenue. Moreover, expand its fan base into LA because the Angels were winning and the Dodgers were not, the Angels advertised all over LA - billboards, buses, etc. Something pretty much unheard of before.

One would expect the Isles to do something similar.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
When the Angels began winning in Anaheim and the team proceeded with the name change - to gain the LA market share and revenue. Moreover, expand its fan base into LA because the Angels were winning and the Dodgers were not, the Angels advertised all over LA - billboards, buses, etc. Something pretty much unheard of before.

One would expect the Isles to do something similar.
And the 'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 92863 32* Latitude California Baseball Club of the National League' was a fine name to market!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:07 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post
Hey NYI Shremp!

Love to bust your b@lls but I have to tell you that is a great design for a third jersey - this coming from someone who hates thirds in general. If you were the one who did this nice job! Love the homage paid to the Dodgers.

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:11 AM
NYIschremp44

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Hey NYI Shremp!

Love to bust your b@lls but I have to tell you that is a great design for a third jersey - this coming from someone who hates thirds in general. If you were the one who did this nice job! Love the homage paid to the Dodgers.
Thank you! much appreciated...I would love to see that design come to life in fabric, i think itd look real sharp

NYIschremp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post
Thank you! much appreciated...I would love to see that design come to life in fabric, i think itd look real sharp
It's a nice job by you, but I think the Brooklyn baseball concept is just way over. My Dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and I grew up with stories about Roy Campanella and Carl Furillo (my Dad's favorite players), as well as Jackie and The Duke. But the Dodgers left 55 years ago. The script 'Brooklyn' became the script 'Los Angeles'. It wasn't as if that look ended with Brooklyn. The Dodgers after they left were better than the Dodgers before they left. That style is, now, more Los Angeles than it is Brooklyn. Mets fans got understandably annoyed when Wilpon seemed to express his Dodgers love more than his Mets love in CitiField.

The old Dodgers B expresses Brooklyn pride in opposition to "The City", i.e. Manhattan. But the Islanders don't need that symbol to express their pride in opposition to "The City", i.e. the Ranger$. Our existing symbol already expresses it.

BTW, note that The Nets did not go after that look. They were smarter than that. They asked themselves what was the coolest jersey in sport that had no basketball equivalent. Their answer was the correct one: The Raiders.

The Islanders, unlike the Nets, need to stress continuity with their past as opposed to a break from it. If you need a third, go retro Islanders, not retro someone else.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Hey NYI Shremp!

That fugly IMO

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Strummergas

Yeah, enough with the Dodgers love. 2 different sports, and like Dan-o said, they left Brooklyn more than half a lifetime ago.

Why can't the 3rd jersey be some thing completely new and fresh? Doesn't have to resemble any current or past sports franchise and it doesn't have to be the current 3rds with "Brooklyn" across the front instead of "Islanders" either....

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's a nice job by you, but I think the Brooklyn baseball concept is just way over. My Dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and I grew up with stories about Roy Campanella and Carl Furillo (my Dad's favorite players), as well as Jackie and The Duke. But the Dodgers left 55 years ago. The script 'Brooklyn' became the script 'Los Angeles'. It wasn't as if that look ended with Brooklyn. The Dodgers after they left were better than the Dodgers before they left. That style is, now, more Los Angeles than it is Brooklyn. Mets fans got understandably annoyed when Wilpon seemed to express his Dodgers love more than his Mets love in CitiField.

The old Dodgers B expresses Brooklyn pride in opposition to "The City", i.e. Manhattan. But the Islanders don't need that symbol to express their pride in opposition to "The City", i.e. the Ranger$. Our existing symbol already expresses it.

BTW, note that The Nets did not go after that look. They were smarter than that. They asked themselves what was the coolest jersey in sport that had no basketball equivalent. Their answer was the correct one: The Raiders.

The Islanders, unlike the Nets, need to stress continuity with their past as opposed to a break from it. If you need a third, go retro Islanders, not retro someone else.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Islanders regular jersey is retro. Id prefer a brooklyn jersey over orange font royal or some other ****. What they should do is bring back a jersey from each decade and have some slecial commerative nights to close out the colliseum. Mostly so I can see a gortons rerelease.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Islanders regular jersey is retro. Id prefer a brooklyn jersey over orange font royal or some other ****. What they should do is bring back a jersey from each decade and have some slecial commerative nights to close out the colliseum. Mostly so I can see a gortons rerelease.
they would never bring that piece of crap fishsticks jersey back, it symbolizes everything that went wrong with the team in the 90's

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Isles Shawn

I wouldn't mind seeing one of two jerseys. The same design now but orange with blue lettering or blue with orange lettering like in the 70s. That's about it.

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Shawn View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing one of two jerseys. The same design now but orange with blue lettering or blue with orange lettering like in the 70s. That's about it.
Yeah, the classic look should remain with NOTHING MORE than a subtle tweak (a Brooklyn-themed shoulder patch). Then our horrific third jerseys that we hate every year can take interesting Brooklyn twists!

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:20 AM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Yeah, the classic look should remain with NOTHING MORE than a subtle tweak (a Brooklyn-themed shoulder patch). Then our horrific third jerseys that we hate every year can take interesting Brooklyn twists!
I'm not all about a color change, but I saw this online and kinda like the one on the left......IF and ONLY IF they decided to have a black 3rd jersey (which I can see as being good for marketability)....

The one on the right shouldn't say ISLE...rather see "ISLANDERS" on it as a shoulder patch....and do away with the word "BROOKLYN" below....but if they could find a way to make this work, I could live with it, despite how much it would look like the LA Kings.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:04 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
I'm not all about a color change, but I saw this online and kinda like the one on the left......IF and ONLY IF they decided to have a black 3rd jersey (which I can see as being good for marketability)....

The one on the right shouldn't say ISLE...rather see "ISLANDERS" on it as a shoulder patch....and do away with the word "BROOKLYN" below....but if they could find a way to make this work, I could live with it, despite how much it would look like the LA Kings.
I love the design on the left, that would look really sharp if we insist on having a black third jersey.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Isles Junkie

I have a horrible feeling they're going to take the current black monstrosity and replace Islanders with Brooklyn and call it a day. Especially if the thing continues to sell. I'm shocked how many of those things you see in the stands. They're so bad.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I have a horrible feeling they're going to take the current black monstrosity and replace Islanders with Brooklyn and call it a day. Especially if the thing continues to sell. I'm shocked how many of those things you see in the stands. They're so bad.
Probably promotional give aways

i dont know anyone who bought one, except one guy i play roller Hockey with, and he bought a fake one from china

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
Probably promotional give aways

i dont know anyone who bought one, except one guy i play roller Hockey with, and he bought a fake one from china
I saw on one of those sites our current third mike bossy jersey.. It hurt my soul to see such a monstrosity god have mercy on who ever buys that one haha.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Islanderfan17

I'd be so disappointed if they ever got rid of the current home and aways, they are absolutely perfect.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Isles Junkie

One of you guys make this? I LOVE them.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:09 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

For everyone dead set on keeping the current logo, which I absolutely love and am still sad they are leaving Nassau, it doesn't make sense after the move.

Once they move to the Barclays center, the I pointing to where the Vet is becomes invalid and inaccurate, which I hate on logos. It becomes a classic logo like many others. I don't see how keeping the logo is the key to keeping the fans that are mad about the move.

I also would hate a name change, but just like with the logo, the name Islanders still strikes me as wrong. Yes, Brooklyn is technically on Long Island, but people who live in or are from Brooklyn don't say Long Island.

As a person who is big into logos/unis, it irritates me to have inaccuracies in names and logos. It would kill me to see the Islanders no longer the Islanders and have a new logo, but having a name and logo based on a location that changes loses validity.

Personally I look forward to a Brooklyn jersey and love the original concept harkening to the Dodgers. The Brooklyn Bridge is a great icon and makes a great logo, it would be silly not to utilize it.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:32 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
For everyone dead set on keeping the current logo, which I absolutely love and am still sad they are leaving Nassau, it doesn't make sense after the move.

Once they move to the Barclays center, the I pointing to where the Vet is becomes invalid and inaccurate, which I hate on logos. It becomes a classic logo like many others. I don't see how keeping the logo is the key to keeping the fans that are mad about the move.

I also would hate a name change, but just like with the logo, the name Islanders still strikes me as wrong. Yes, Brooklyn is technically on Long Island, but people who live in or are from Brooklyn don't say Long Island.

As a person who is big into logos/unis, it irritates me to have inaccuracies in names and logos. It would kill me to see the Islanders no longer the Islanders and have a new logo, but having a name and logo based on a location that changes loses validity.

Personally I look forward to a Brooklyn jersey and love the original concept harkening to the Dodgers. The Brooklyn Bridge is a great icon and makes a great logo, it would be silly not to utilize it.
Note to the LA Lakers: you moved. Change your name. You left Minneapolis, so lose the name, already!

Oh, and lose the legacy, the dynasty, the legends. Get on with Brooklyn and their history. Barbarino trumps Bossy 10 times out of 10.

Sorry, had to.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:05 AM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Barbarino trumps Bossy 10 times out of 10.

Sorry, had to.
Up your nose wid a rubber hose!

Sorry, had to.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post

If it makes you feel better, make your affiliation with Coney ISLAND...which is of course in Brooklyn.

I want the name and the current home/away jerseys to stay permanently - and the current thirds gone. I do like some of the alternative third jerseys that play up the move and some of the history we are inheriting as Brooklyn's new team.

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Strummergas

Ugh, again with the name change?

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:27 AM
StrongIslanders90

where is LIU again??