HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Old
11-16-2012, 09:49 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I'm not going to debate whether we should have taken a forward at #8, because there's a fair point for that and it's impossible to say with certainty who will be the best player in 3-4 years from now, let alone 7 to 10 years from now.

But what I can say is this: remember the interviews and videos of Pouliot working out during the Pens' prospect camp this summer? Let's be honest here: the guy basically looked like he was 16. He is still a kid and pretty scrawny despite whatever his weight stats might read.

He has all of this year and all of next year before he even makes the jump into WBS, where we know he is likely to play at least 2 full years, if not all 3. At that point, he will be physically mature, and have a lot of great coaching and experience under him. At that point we will be able to asess where he is at as a player.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I'm not going to debate whether we should have taken a forward at #8, because there's a fair point for that and it's impossible to say with certainty who will be the best player in 3-4 years from now, let alone 7 to 10 years from now.

But what I can say is this: remember the interviews and videos of Pouliot working out during the Pens' prospect camp this summer? Let's be honest here: the guy basically looked like he was 16. He is still a kid and pretty scrawny despite whatever his weight stats might read.

He has all of this year and all of next year before he even makes the jump into WBS, where we know he is likely to play at least 2 full years, if not all 3. At that point, he will be physically mature, and have a lot of great coaching and experience under him. At that point we will be able to asess where he is at as a player.
I think Rielly is the second best player from this past draft and he had a pretty bad game, much worse than DP. That is why people should never overreact to a single game.

Both of these two would of made a much bigger impression if the W fwds were getting pressure so they could of joined the rush, pinched more often and generally gotten into the offensive flow of the game.

They spent most of their shifts in their own end because the W fwds couldn't keep the puck in the Russian end longer than 5 seconds for most of the night. Then the fwds gave them the double duty of having to try and pick up secondary assignments as well, because the fwds were a complete mess with their defensive responsibilities.

If you had put DP and Rielly on the Russian team, I am 99% sure people would of blown their wads about their play.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Which is silly. If you'd had only seen, say, Morrow play at the Canada WJC camp last year, you'd think he'd be a bottom-pairing defenseman at best. He had a bad showing. But if you only saw him in pre-season last year, you'd think he was god.

So yeah, like you said. I prefer to make my evaluations based off a larger sample size.
I still consider DP a ridiculous pick at #8 considering I think he might've been a bit of a reach at #22 but what's done is done. In the end, draft position doesn't mean much so long as you actually develop the prospect into an NHLer.

For years we defended the Staal pick...and rightfully so. While there were some better players picked just after him, Staal turned into a beast that was a contributor to a Cup. At the time of the 2006 draft you could've made a case for taking any of Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Brassard or Okposo with the second overall so I don't think we did that bad in the end.

DP however has a loooong road to the NHL. I mean, people just brought up how young he looked at Dev Camp. He's got a lot of maturing to do both on and off the ice and that's why he's been labelled a bit of a project. And I'm not against taking project prospects...just not 8th overall.

But he's our guy and for that reason I hope he works out. I'm still a bit skeptical but until I see him develop and play professionally it's impossible to tell at the moment.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:19 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I still consider DP a ridiculous pick at #8 considering I think he might've been a bit of a reach at #22 but what's done is done. In the end, draft position doesn't mean much so long as you actually develop the prospect into an NHLer.

For years we defended the Staal pick...and rightfully so. While there were some better players picked just after him, Staal turned into a beast that was a contributor to a Cup. At the time of the 2006 draft you could've made a case for taking any of Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Brassard or Okposo with the second overall so I don't think we did that bad in the end.

DP however has a loooong road to the NHL. I mean, people just brought up how young he looked at Dev Camp. He's got a lot of maturing to do both on and off the ice and that's why he's been labelled a bit of a project. And I'm not against taking project prospects...just not 8th overall.

But he's our guy and for that reason I hope he works out. I'm still a bit skeptical but until I see him develop and play professionally it's impossible to tell at the moment.
Who would you have taken?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Dylonus

^ For starters, Grigorenko or Forsberg ^

I was furious that we passed on Grigorenko. Look at him now. He's DESTROYING down in the juniors...

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Hottubber

Quote:

Would you have rather had Trouba or Dumba had he been available?

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I can't see Pouliot being a reach at 22. I think he may have been at 8 but I don't think he would have been available at 22. A lot of scouting services called him the best passing D-Man in the draft etc. Calgary was rumored to love the kid and I think someone said Buffalo also liked him with one of their two 1st rounders that were higher than 22.

I personally would have taken Grigorenko or Forsberg but I don't get too mad when they don't pick the kid I want. I really won't care that we passed on them as long as Pouliot turns into a very good player. The only thing that will make me upset is if this kid is a total bust and Forsberg and/or Grigorenko turn into all star forwards.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post

I was furious that we passed on Grigorenko. Look at him now. He's DESTROYING down in the juniors...
Max Talbot destroyed juniors. It's not always a good barometer.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post

It wasn't a question for anyone else, really. IHWR's opinion is one I really respect here when it comes to prospects. I know who everyone else would have taken.

And the fact that he's destroying Jr's...I'll just say one guy we drafted had 46 goals and 104 points in 69 games his last year of Jr. Guess whom that was...

Jr success =/= NHL success, especially if a guy has some questions about himself regarding other things aside from hockey.

Grigorenko is a guy I would have considered...still not sold at all on Forsberg.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
It wasn't a question for anyone else, really. IHWR's opinion is one I really respect here when it comes to prospects. I know who everyone else would have taken.

And the fact that he's destroying Jr's...I'll just say one guy we drafted had 46 goals and 104 points in 69 games his last year of Jr. Guess whom that was...

Jr success =/= NHL success, especially if a guy has some questions about himself regarding other things aside from hockey.

Grigorenko is a guy I would have considered...still not sold at all on Forsberg.
A lot of folks including some scouting services had DP rated in the top 15, with 12 being an average draft rating, right at where Buffalo had their first of two. 22 seems pretty low, just as 8 seemed a tad high.

In addition to the attitude issues Grigs supposedly has, the hot rumer going around right now is that he is actually 21. Will be very interesting to see if that goes anywhere.

Forsberg has yet to crack the SEL, and is putting up some decent points on the 3rd line in the next league down, which is a highly offensive oriented league.

When looking at prospect evaluation & development opinions on this Board, few can compare with Jiggyfly and Jacob IMO. Neither of them are worried about DP, the pick or the development. Both thought he played fine given the situation last night.

DP is almost a year younger than Morrow, and like him is trying to play a meaner, grittier game, while putting up a point per night on a WHL squad the Pens obviously trust to develop NHL talent. Like they do London in the OHL.

He is still a little on the weak and light side, but I can tell u from seeing him up close and in person at the draft that he has a good frame, one sort of like Sid's, as he will have big hips and butt, likely playing at 210 or so.

Give this kid some time folks, and you will likely be rewarded.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post

If Matt Dumba hadn't gone the pick before I'd have said him, he's going to be really good. At the draft web it was rumored that the Isles offered their entire draft (including the 4th overall) for the 2nd overall I thought Columbus was crazy for not taking the deal and drafting Dumba.

Forsberg would've been my pick. Grigorenko might be a slightly better prospect but he's also more likely to follow in the footsteps of a Radulov so that's a legitimate knock against him. It's a shame you have to account for that but that's the reason he slipped.

Forsberg was exactly the kind of prospect we need not to replace Staal, but to replace the top 6 winger we've never developed. When the Pens made the deal with Carolina I was positive they were going to pick Forsberg since they just acquired Sutter (to replace Staal as the 3C) and Dumoulin (to satisfy the organizations ***** for defensive prospects). I was on the building when the trade was announced and it was electric. It was instantly deflated when the Pens picked Pouliot. I've got a good story of who I was hanging with from the time the deal was announced to when the pick was made. DM me sometime and I'll elaborate but it's not a story for the boards unfortunately.

Back to Forsberg, he really only lacks two things right now: elite speed and consistency. His skating is above average but he doesn't have that fifth gear you want from a top 6 winger with such a high hockey IQ and offensive skills. His consistency is probably the main knock on him by his detractors, but that's largely from playing in Sweden where it's a guessing game which young players will be given an offensive role. He's looked great this year and I think he's silencing a lot of his critics.

Trouba's too one dimensional for me. A lot of people compare him to Chris Pronger but I don't see anywhere near that offensive upside. It's a lot easier to find defensive defensemen after the first round and to me it's like picking a shutdown 3rd line center with a top 10 pick.

I said it in another thread but I thought Maatta would've been a decent pick at #8. He was a fantastic pick at #22. Cody Ceci was another guy I really liked that I thought could've gone top 10. He has a Shea Weber heavy clapper at age 18 (clocked recently at around 102 mph) and is one of the better rushing defensemen prospects I've seen in a while. He needs to work on his game in his own end though.

Forsberg would've been my pick but what do I know. Pouliot's still a really good prospect but he has a lot more developing to do.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
If Matt Dumba hadn't gone the pick before I'd have said him, he's going to be really good. At the draft web it was rumored that the Isles offered their entire draft (including the 4th overall) for the 2nd overall I thought Columbus was crazy for not taking the deal and drafting Dumba.

Forsberg would've been my pick. Grigorenko might be a slightly better prospect but he's also more likely to follow in the footsteps of a Radulov so that's a legitimate knock against him. It's a shame you have to account for that but that's the reason he slipped.

Forsberg was exactly the kind of prospect we need not to replace Staal, but to replace the top 6 winger we've never developed. When the Pens made the deal with Carolina I was positive they were going to pick Forsberg since they just acquired Sutter (to replace Staal as the 3C) and Dumoulin (to satisfy the organizations ***** for defensive prospects). I was on the building when the trade was announced and it was electric. It was instantly deflated when the Pens picked Pouliot. I've got a good story of who I was hanging with from the time the deal was announced to when the pick was made. DM me sometime and I'll elaborate but it's not a story for the boards unfortunately.

Back to Forsberg, he really only lacks two things right now: elite speed and consistency. His skating is above average but he doesn't have that fifth gear you want from a top 6 winger with such a high hockey IQ and offensive skills. His consistency is probably the main knock on him by his detractors, but that's largely from playing in Sweden where it's a guessing game which young players will be given an offensive role. He's looked great this year and I think he's silencing a lot of his critics.

Trouba's too one dimensional for me. A lot of people compare him to Chris Pronger but I don't see anywhere near that offensive upside. It's a lot easier to find defensive defensemen after the first round and to me it's like picking a shutdown 3rd line center with a top 10 pick.

I said it in another thread but I thought Maatta would've been a decent pick at #8. He was a fantastic pick at #22. Cody Ceci was another guy I really liked that I thought could've gone top 10. He has a Shea Weber heavy clapper at age 18 (clocked recently at around 102 mph) and is one of the better rushing defensemen prospects I've seen in a while. He needs to work on his game in his own end though.

Forsberg would've been my pick but what do I know. Pouliot's still a really good prospect but he has a lot more developing to do.
I too was thinking Forsberg when the trade went down. I'll never forget the cold bucket of water dumped on the crowd, that was the Pouliot pick.

Still, I think you have to give it a few years until getting a feel for wether it was a good pick.

The fact that Forsberg has yet to crack the SEL makes me a little more comfortable with the pick.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
When looking at prospect evaluation & development opinions on this Board, few can compare with Jiggyfly and Jacob IMO. Neither of them are worried about DP, the pick or the development. Both thought he played fine given the situation last night.
Both fine posters, but the argument to authority is goofy (not to mention unsupported here - what are you basing their prospect track record on, exactly?). We're still waiting to rue the day we let Nick Johnson go on waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I never saw him take any bad angles to the puck carrier. He kept his gaps, had a good stick and was angling his assignments outside most of the time. He even stripped Yakupov of the puck twice 1-1 in space.
He did have a good stick for the most part, but I thought he put himself in poor checking position pretty regularly. That play where he got knocked down by Kapustin leading to a goal against left me wondering how he thought he'd have enough leverage to accomplish anything.

Quote:
DP won a majority of his 1-1 battles along the board and quickly moved the puck out of the zone. I never saw him wilt under any forechecking pressure, unless Russia had a heavy FC in the third and he wilted then, but I doubt that being up by a few goals.
I just disagree here. Pouliot looked to be pushed around quite a bit in the corners, and lost more than he won in the 1-on-1s.

Quote:
He was at fault for two of the three goals. On the second goal, his pivot got caught chasing the post and didn't pick up the late man... No idea what the guy was thinking. That goal was all on the pivot.
Sure, the goal-scorer came in unchecked, but Rielly or Pouliot could've stepped up. Instead they stood there like deer in headlights (albeit they were left flatfooted).

Quote:
On the third goal he bounced off his man and lost his balance. As was the case throughout the game, the W fwds didn't pick up their assignments and the goal was scored in the slot off the shot from his assignment.
But there's really no reason for him to be bouncing off his man. He's a weaker guy who took a bad angle to make awkward contact in a dangerous part of the ice, and it led to the goal against.

Quote:
The fourth goal was definitely on him, but Yakupov caught him from behind with a great burst of speed to force the turnover. Credit Yakupov with a really nice play. That was the only turnover he had in the first two periods and before that he did a fantastic job of managing the puck, unlike Rielly who was a turnover machine.
Ehh, we're not on the same page here. At all.

Pouliot wasn't blindly sending pucks up the middle like Rielly, but his lack of urgency and strength in his own end made him give up the puck more than a few times.

Quote:
I thought he easily outplayed Rielly, who had a poor game. The blueliners were left out to dry all game by the W fwds who did a piss poor job of backchecking, picking up their assignments and generating pressure.
Rielly was a lot more risk/reward, and he got burned by it last night. You could see the dynamism he brings even in a bad game though, ie that double toe-drag.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

I think DP was their man all along and when the discussions started with Carolina, I am pretty confident they wanted that #8 pick to grab him from the get go. I doubt Grigs or Forsberg were ever seriously in the discussion for them.

Eventhough I'm really liking Maatta now, I would of never picked him over DP. DP is simply a higher end talent who sees the ice better. That isn't a knock on Maatta, but it's rare to see a young kid manage the puck like DP does, especially when you take into account how often he is moving the puck. He has a rare gift for finding the tape that Maatta doesn't possess.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Eventhough I'm really liking Maatta now, I would of never picked him over DP. DP is simply a higher end talent who sees the ice better. That isn't a knock on Maatta, but it's rare to see a young kid manage the puck like DP does, especially when you take into account how often he is moving the puck. He has a rare gift for finding the tape that Maatta doesn't possess.
We're agreed on that, anyway.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
We're agreed on that, anyway.
Yeah I think Maatta is the better prospect. DP definitely has him on offensive potential but Maatta is much more well rounded and has a seriously underrated offensive game. He's big, smart and to me looks similar to Ryan Suter at the same age when he was at Wisconsin. He's not the flashy guy that's going to thread a pass over two lines to spring a breakaway or dance from end to end but he's the steady, reliable guy that can keep up with and help create space for our other talented defensemen. He's the ideal partner for Morrow or Letang down the line because of his calming presence and the support he can give at both ends of the ice.

For a board that loves Despres so much, it's a little weird that such a similar prospect doesn't get the same praise.

After Morrow and Despres, Maatta's our third best prospect. That's a claim I'm comfortable making even though I understand that it's not the consensus.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Yeah I think Maatta is the better prospect. DP definitely has him on offensive potential but Maatta is much more well rounded and has a seriously underrated offensive game. He's big, smart and to me looks similar to Ryan Suter at the same age when he was at Wisconsin. He's not the flashy guy that's going to thread a pass over two lines to spring a breakaway or dance from end to end but he's the steady, reliable guy that can keep up with and help create space for our other talented defensemen. He's the ideal partner for Morrow or Letang down the line because of his calming presence and the support he can give at both ends of the ice.

For a board that loves Despres so much, it's a little weird that such a similar prospect doesn't get the same praise.

After Morrow and Despres, Maatta's our third best prospect. That's a claim I'm comfortable making even though I understand that it's not the consensus.
We've all got our favourites, haha. I know I'm I'm partial to Harrington.

Maatta's fine, but he's seemed pretty vanilla based on what I saw in the Mem Cup last year and a couple games this season. One man's "all-around" is another man's "does nothing exceptional". Despres is at least a huge man with exceptional wheels and and some impressive stick skill.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Both fine posters, but the argument to authority is goofy (not to mention unsupported here - what are you basing their prospect track record on, exactly?). We're still waiting to rue the day we let Nick Johnson go on waivers.
Hey now, Johnson filled the kind of role for the Wild I pegged him for almost three yrs ago when no one paid him any mind.

Now if we could just get that top six winger you promised was coming at the deadline...

Quote:
He did have a good stick for the most part, but I thought he put himself in poor checking position pretty regularly. That play where he got knocked down by Kapustin leading to a goal against left me wondering how he thought he'd have enough leverage to accomplish anything.
I'd rather see him make an attempt to body his man off the puck and learn from it, than to play off. It takes confidence to try and make those plays, so I'm not going to get too upset when it happens.

Quote:
I just disagree here. Pouliot looked to be pushed around quite a bit in the corners, and lost more than he won in the 1-on-1s.
Definitely couldn't disagree more.

Quote:
Sure, the goal-scorer came in unchecked, but Rielly or Pouliot could've stepped up. Instead they stood there like deer in headlights (albeit they were left flatfooted).
They shouldn't be pursuing the late man, you stay at home in a situation like that and let your pivot pick up his assignment. Instead he chased the post... Why? DP had it covered already.

No coach would put that goal on DP or Rielly.

Quote:
But there's really no reason for him to be bouncing off his man. He's a weaker guy who took a bad angle to make awkward contact in a dangerous part of the ice, and it led to the goal against.
He took a beautiful angle, chest to hip, and got tossed. That's hockey. Sometimes the other guy is stronger.

None of us will dispute he needs to get stronger, but that is something I will worry about in three years if there is no improvement.

Quote:
Ehh, we're not on the same page here. At all.

Pouliot wasn't blindly sending pucks up the middle like Rielly, but his lack of urgency and strength in his own end made him give up the puck more than a few times.
I saw exactly one turnover when he had puck possession. If you want to fault him for turnovers on 50/50 pucks, that isn't an accurate way of defining puck mgmt in my books. To each their own.

Quote:
Rielly was a lot more risk/reward, and he got burned by it last night. You could see the dynamism he brings even in a bad game though, ie that double toe-drag.
I just call it poor puck management. You call it risk/reward.

DP was hitting the tape all night and breaking the puck out of his zone quite efficiently and Rielly wasn't.

Unfortunately the W fwds decided to take the night off, so we didn't get to see their offensive dynamics come into play more often or you know, help their blueline out much.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

Maatta is cleaning up his game, but his breakouts sometimes put the puck in danger more than I like to see. He is holding the point better this year; not pushing the blueline like he used to do, which I hated. His skating style is also growing on me.

I'm liking Maatta more each time I watch him play, but his ceiling isn't close to DP's I feel.

I put the top three as Morrow, DP and Harrington. I could change my mind if Despres smartens up a little and I see more of Dumoulin.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:31 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
I too was thinking Forsberg when the trade went down. I'll never forget the cold bucket of water dumped on the crowd, that was the Pouliot pick.

Still, I think you have to give it a few years until getting a feel for wether it was a good pick.

The fact that Forsberg has yet to crack the SEL makes me a little more comfortable with the pick.
He may never crack SEL, I think many players go straight from Allsvenskan to NHL/AHL. Allsvenskan is not far behind of SEL. It's no farm league for SEL.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:31 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Maatta is cleaning up his game, but his breakouts sometimes put the puck in danger more than I like to see. He is holding the point better this year; not pushing the blueline like he used to do, which I hated. His skating style is also growing on me.

I'm liking Maatta more each time I watch him play, but his ceiling isn't close to DP's I feel.

I put the top three as Morrow, DP and Harrington. I could change my mind if Despres smartens up a little and I see more of Dumoulin.
How ridiculous is it that we have 6 defensemen in our top 6 prospects. That doesn't seem smart to me.

And yeah it's debateable with Bennett...my point just sounds better if I slot him at #7 for right now.

I guess I don't see the high ceiling with DP. I see a Goligoski type future for him as probably the #4 guy on the second pairing who plays on the top PP unit. I think it's unlikely that he develops into a top pairing guy...especially with guys like Letang and Morrow in the organization who fill a similar role but with an established physical game and better shot.

And I'm not trying to **** on Pouliot as a prospect. He's a great guy to have in our system but he has some hurdles to overcome before he even becomes an NHLer, let alone realize his super high ceiling that I'm not convinced he has.

I said it at right after the draft but our two first round picks reeked of our organization getting a little too cute. Drafting defensemen from the same teams as our top two defensemen picks from the year before just seems to easy. It's something dumb I'd do in EHM.

It's too bad the Staal trade (which i agree wasn't made with any player in mind, DP was just their BPA) happened minutes before the Pouliot pick because I guarantee no one on these boards would even have him on our radar. I talked to a handful of scouts about Pouliot after the first round (perks of knowing where the NHL HQ hotel is during the draft...just find a few of the local bars and you'll meet some of the heavyweights) and not only did most of them have Pouliot as a late first rounder to and early second rounder but they called the Pens 8th overall pick the worst of the first round. No joke, other team's scouts were laughing at the pick, so for as much as we trust the Pens professionals and their opinion, I trust other team's scouts as well and they hated the pick.

But that's the thing, there's no consensus on prospects and since they are drafted so young a lot can change between draft day and when they finally crack a lineup.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
He may never crack SEL, I think many players go straight from Allsvenskan to NHL/AHL. Allsvenskan is not far behind of SEL. It's no farm league for SEL.
There are some real quality guys on loan there this year as well. Kopitar, Landeskog, Hagelin, etc... It's good hockey there.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
I wouldn't have minded if the Pens took a chance on Radek Faksa with the 8th overall pick. He has a great character, nice skills, and exactly what the Pens are seeking in a winger. No Russian factor either.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Hey now, Johnson filled the kind of role for the Wild I pegged him for almost three yrs ago when no one paid him any mind.
We already had and have better players in top 9 roles, though, which makes his loss completely understandable and unremarkable.

Quote:
Now if we could just get that top six winger you promised was coming at the deadline...
If only! But I should probably stick to what I can see and evaluate firsthand rather than predicting what Shero will do based on what he should do.

For the record, I think you're as good a prospect guy as any around here.

Quote:
I'd rather see him make an attempt to body his man off the puck and learn from it, than to play off. It takes confidence to try and make those plays, so I'm not going to get too upset when it happens.
He doesn't need to play off, just push him with decent leverage or tie him up without trying to go for an all-or-nothing hit. I don't want to micro-analyze too much, but he obviously needs some refinements.

Quote:
They shouldn't be pursuing the late man, you stay at home in a situation like that and let your pivot pick up his assignment. Instead he chased the post... Why? DP had it covered already.
Well, I don't think the the pivot was in any position at that point to check his man effectively. As a result, the guy just walked in on a couple static defensemen and sniped one.

Quote:
He took a beautiful angle, chest to hip, and got tossed. That's hockey. Sometimes the other guy is stronger.
Nah man. He was skating with Kapustin facing his own net without the wide base necessary to body a guy off the puck, so he lost his balance and the puck ended up in his net. It's right here in the Adam Lowry vid at :58:

http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/

You're never going to muscle anyone off the puck with that base. Ever.

Quote:
None of us will dispute he needs to get stronger, but that is something I will worry about in three years if there is no improvement.
It's correctable, for sure.

Quote:
I just call it poor puck management. You call it risk/reward.

DP was hitting the tape all night and breaking the puck out of his zone quite efficiently and Rielly wasn't.

Unfortunately the W fwds decided to take the night off, so we didn't get to see their offensive dynamics come into play more often or you know, help their blueline out much.
Pouliot's transition game once he had a little space was good last night (he was very good on the PP too), my problems were with his strength, defensive postures, and puck management under pressure. For the record, he looked like he managed the puck very well in the game I went to between Portland and Brandon, but the Russians are obviously a step up and they were forechecking hard yesterday.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 11-16-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 03:37 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I wouldn't have minded if the Pens took a chance on Radek Faksa with the 8th overall pick. He has a great character, nice skills, and exactly what the Pens are seeking in a winger. No Russian factor either.
Yeah I don't disagree. He's a real good prospect too although he doesn't look as dominant this season for whatever reason.