Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OHL Draft 2006

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Default101

vCash: 500
well each draft does have some conspiricy in it on players who choose to only play for certian teams, looks like we're getting a dose of it here...
Cody Hodgson drops to 17th overall for Brampton
Phil McRae drops to 20th overall for London

pretty good for 2 guys who were expected to go top 5, but it seemed alot of the top 5 teams really wanted defencemen

Old
05-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Default101

Sarnia takes Dalton Prout, i'm s ure this is no news to anyone except for sting fans, read his scouting report and he sounds alot like when they landed Matt Pelech in the 2nd round, hopefully he can become as good as Pelech was... ecept without the injuries of course

Old
05-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Boomhower

First McRae

and now Tucker Hunter in the 3rd round.

For about the fifth year in a row, the draft is a family affair in London.

Old
05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
The knights head scouts grandson was picked one pick before theirs in the 4th ibet he wouldve gone too...

Old
05-06-2006, 11:18 AM
STS44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT
The knights head scouts grandson was picked one pick before theirs in the 4th ibet he wouldve gone too...

Yeah - Steven McDonald would have been a good pick for the Knights. Understand he is a Brandon Prust kind of player - mean streak with decent overall talent at both ends of the rink....

Old
05-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
First McRae

and now Tucker Hunter in the 3rd round.

For about the fifth year in a row, the draft is a family affair in London.
I've heard there is an unwritten rule in the OHL that teams don't draft the sons of other team's owners. That might have had something to do with a kid like McRae falling to 20th after being ranked so high. For those who don't know, Basil McRae is part owner in London.

Old
05-06-2006, 06:31 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
I've heard there is an unwritten rule in the OHL that teams don't draft the sons of other team's owners. That might have had something to do with a kid like McRae falling to 20th after being ranked so high.

Maybe.

I would estimate it had more to do with McRae's refusal to report to any aside from the Knights...

Old
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
Maybe.

I would estimate it had more to do with McRae's refusal to report to any aside from the Knights...
I'm sure it did. But it might not be a case of McRae picking his spot. He's got a legitimate chance at an NCAA scholarship and would probably go that way. It just happens that his dad is part owner of of the Knights. Yeah, that gives London an edge, but it's not the same as say a kid like Stamkos doing the same thing and falling to the Knights. Or Esposito doing it and going to Quebec.

I do think it's necessary for the CHL to tighten the rules a little bit on drafted players. It's obvious the NCAA isn't going to come to its senses anytime soon and consider these guys amateurs.

The CHL should make guys declare for the draft or not. If a guy who declares for the draft and doesn't report to a team, that team gets a compensatory draft pick. It's not much, but at least it's something.

Old
05-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Default101

now that Stamkos has been drafted i do have a question for those that might have some info on him that i've been meaning to ask, what if any NHL/OHL player does he most compare to? the only one i've heard is he's like an Alex Tanguay except with alittle more speed/offensive instincts at that age??

Old
05-07-2006, 10:39 PM
JrHockeyFan

well . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
I'm sure it did. But it might not be a case of McRae picking his spot. He's got a legitimate chance at an NCAA scholarship and would probably go that way. It just happens that his dad is part owner of of the Knights. Yeah, that gives London an edge, but it's not the same as say a kid like Stamkos doing the same thing and falling to the Knights. Or Esposito doing it and going to Quebec.

I do think it's necessary for the CHL to tighten the rules a little bit on drafted players. It's obvious the NCAA isn't going to come to its senses anytime soon and consider these guys amateurs.

The CHL should make guys declare for the draft or not. If a guy who declares for the draft and doesn't report to a team, that team gets a compensatory draft pick. It's not much, but at least it's something.
You have to think Basil knows exactly what his son's plans are.

Personally I think the draft should be structured so that if a player refuses to go to his drafted team he should be barred from joining any CHL team at a later time, exactly the way that kids can't go NCAA after playing CHL. They would have to make up their minds then and there.

A compensatory pick might work provided that any team who got that player forfeited picks in the same round and next round after the player was taken. Unfortunately it would be a year later.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:11 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
You have to think Basil knows exactly what his son's plans are.

Personally I think the draft should be structured so that if a player refuses to go to his drafted team he should be barred from joining any CHL team at a later time, exactly the way that kids can't go NCAA after playing CHL. They would have to make up their minds then and there.

A compensatory pick might work provided that any team who got that player forfeited picks in the same round and next round after the player was taken. Unfortunately it would be a year later.
Its hard to "BAN" top end elite talent...it isnt good for the league to have highly skilled players going elsewhere.

However, the QMJHL has implemented a new system which they will use after the whoe Esposito thing last summer.

If you select a player in round 1 and he does not report you get a compensation draft pick 18 spots after where you selected the player. So if you select a player 1st overall and he doesnt report...then you can choose to hold onto his rights for an extra year and see if he reports or you can get the 19th overall pick in the next draft.

Problem with this is when you get the comp pick that player then re-enters the QMJHL draft. Now to most top end players...getting into the QMJHL at age 18 doesnt really do them any good. If the player is truly a superstar they should be long gone by 18.

So for example if Espo was picked by Saint John #1 overall...his options would be:

a) go to Saint John
b) wait around and play USHL or something for 1-2 years

Even if he gets to re-enter the Q draft at 18 its pointless and no offense to the USHL but superstar players would be better off playing in the CHL.

Most of these "superstar" talents arent interested in NCAA because their freshmen year will be when they are 18 or 19...If guys like Hodgson are truly as good as they are advertised to be...they will most likelt be in the AHL by 20 if not NHL...going NCAA serves them very little purpose.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
DaaaaB's

Could somebody post a link that shows the results of the draft?

Old
05-09-2006, 02:08 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's
Could somebody post a link that shows the results of the draft?
goto ontariohockeyleague.com

Old
05-11-2006, 08:53 AM
ktownhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
now that Stamkos has been drafted i do have a question for those that might have some info on him that i've been meaning to ask, what if any NHL/OHL player does he most compare to? the only one i've heard is he's like an Alex Tanguay except with alittle more speed/offensive instincts at that age??
Potentially a Marty Havlat type player but better play making skills at this age.

Old
05-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Petes1

ktownhockey, I'm wondering about Bogosian. There's been a couple people, Dale Dunbar an advisor for the Bobby Orr Hockey Group, and Jim Johnston one of Dallas Stars scouts both have said he would have been top 5-10 if he had indicated he would be going to the OHL from day 1. The HPO draft had him way down at 44th. Did you have a lot of oppurtunity to see him play this season, did the low ranking take in effect he was looking at going NCAA route. Is there a reason you had him ranked low. Based on both the HPO guides, and ISS guides, the Petes took a lot of players higher then either had rated. Obviously lots can change, but neither were very high on Ciampini either, how do you see him fitting in the OHL next season as he was the Petes 2nd pick.

Old
05-15-2006, 12:04 PM
velocity

mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise
Its hard to "BAN" top end elite talent...it isnt good for the league to have highly skilled players going elsewhere.

However, the QMJHL has implemented a new system which they will use after the whoe Esposito thing last summer.

If you select a player in round 1 and he does not report you get a compensation draft pick 18 spots after where you selected the player. So if you select a player 1st overall and he doesnt report...then you can choose to hold onto his rights for an extra year and see if he reports or you can get the 19th overall pick in the next draft.

Problem with this is when you get the comp pick that player then re-enters the QMJHL draft. Now to most top end players...getting into the QMJHL at age 18 doesnt really do them any good. If the player is truly a superstar they should be long gone by 18.

So for example if Espo was picked by Saint John #1 overall...his options would be:

a) go to Saint John

Even if he gets to re-enter the Q draft at 18 its pointless and no offense to the USHL but superstar players would be better off playing in the CHL.

Most of these "superstar" talents arent interested in NCAA because their freshmen year will be when they are 18 or 19...If guys like Hodgson are truly as good as they are advertised to be...they will most likelt be in the AHL by 20 if not NHL...going NCAA serves them very little purpose.
NCAA serves them when they have a injury that takes away the game. Go to school. Yes I agree school is not for everyone but a great option for some (Bourque)

Old
05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity
NCAA serves them when they have a injury that takes away the game. Go to school. Yes I agree school is not for everyone but a great option for some (Bourque)
Bourque is a poor example. He flunked out of school...thatis why he as going to play for Moncton before he made the AHL.

Old
05-18-2006, 04:14 PM
velocity

2.2 is passing not great but passing..

Old
05-18-2006, 06:02 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
You know for sure that was his GPA?

I know in an article last summer Chris said he wasnt doing too well in school and that was 1 of the reasons he left.

Either way, he wasnt the school type.

Your point stands though. It is good to have a backup plan...but if they do get hurt during their NCAA carrer, their full ride goes up in smoke and they have to foot the bill.

Old
05-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:

2.2 is pretty crappy though.

Chris Bourque was not academically at Boston University's level. It really served him little purpose to go there anyways.

Old
05-22-2006, 01:24 PM
JrHockeyFan

Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise

a) go to Saint John

I can agree with what you are saying. You do not want to ban the player, but the current system really gets abused. And it is as old as the hills.

I can remember when London took Mark Howe. According to my dad who had some insites into the issue, London just wasn't good enough for the Howes (mom in particular). They were critical of everything.

Howe did not report, but at least London was compensated with a trade. I am not sure but I think London got Maruk in the deal. Whoever they got, the Marlies (I think it was them) had to deal with London to get him. Options were restricted.

Even if some of the above is wrong (and memory ain't what it used to be), the key point is that the club that can pick a player. They can do so and get something in return THAT year. Not the next year. The main reason for that being that options were limited for the super draftee.

That whole Carl and Bonnie thing made me sick. Lindros should have been made to honour the OHL draft. Of course on the other hand (to reinforce my point) in the NHL draft when they tried the same thing, Quebec sure thanked their lucky stars on that one. Again, the options to Lindros were limited. Quebec (or Colorado) got value almost immediately.

If the threat of a ban can keep things honest, then so be it. At least then the player has to live with his choice. US college or CHL.

Closed Thread