HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

ISS November rankings for 2013

Old
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Huffman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Can't imagine Lindholm falling very far, unless he have a aweful wjc or something. He produces great in SEL in his draftyear, that's something only the best swedish forwards on the alltime list have done. He is on the same pace as Nicklas Bäckströ was in his draftyear. Everything can happen, but I doubt he slips.
Agree. Teams who wants a skilled player with great upside will like Lindholm. Teams who like hardworking players with great attitude will like him too. Forsberg and Grigorenko have the skill but might have some consistency issues.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

very interested to see just how far off the top 30 Will Butcher, Ryan Hartman, Tyler Motte, Luke Johnson (though having a rough start), Cole Cassels, Michael Downing, Gabe Guertler, and Taylor Cammarata are right now...

this should be a pretty solid draft for the US, and though I am a bit down by not seeing more US kids inside the top 20 (figured Erne and Fasching would be there), I think by years end this could be one of the better drafts we have as a country compared to the past few years..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:35 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
very interested to see just how far off the top 30 Will Butcher, Ryan Hartman, Tyler Motte, Luke Johnson (though having a rough start), Cole Cassels, Michael Downing, Gabe Guertler, and Taylor Cammarata are right now...

this should be a pretty solid draft for the US, and though I am a bit down by not seeing more US kids inside the top 20 (figured Erne and Fasching would be there), I think by years end this could be one of the better drafts we have as a country compared to the past few years..
I'd probably say it's going to be amongst the weakest. 2010 had 10 American first rounders, last year had 6. I've got 6 for this year, tops.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I'd probably say it's going to be amongst the weakest. 2010 had 10 American first rounders, last year had 6. I've got 6 for this year, tops.
doubt that.

the US has had the past 2 years as down years, I see a silver lining in this group as it has solid depth, and it has some highend kids..

it wont be like the 2010 draft which I hoped, but it will be better then the past 2 years imo.

I see 3 top 15 US kids picked this year, plus 2 more by the time #20 comes around...I have 8 overall US kids picked in the first round : Jones, Erne, Santini, Hartman, Fasching, McCoshen, Compher,and Butcher. With Motte my wild card pick that could easily crack the top 30...plus I didnt list Cammarata in the top 30 as his size will hurt him like Grimaldi, his skillis first round.

I have been much more pesimistic these past few years, but this years group looks pretty solid overall this early on, but a long ways to go.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:56 AM
hawksfan50

Lindholm too low from all the glowing reports I read on him...

Nichushkin shows lots of potential given his spize speed and power rushes --BUT it did not translate in the games I saw in the Subway Super Series to that much finishing and he lacks in the distribution part of the game-critical for any centre-I just do not see him as a comparable to Grigorenko who at the same age DID show finishing and set-up abilities.. SO Nichuskin too high.

On the other hand Nikita ZADOROV too low ...not yet showing enough offensive punch BUT you just cannot ignore the size, skating ,HITS, good D-play he brings even without the offense -just too much of a prize in this less than compelling draft of D-men --you goota rank him much higher than the ISS has him..

ALSO--their list does not combine in goalies...COMRIE was good in his 30 minutes of work last night vs. the Russkies stopping 17/18 shots (.944) ...HE and Fucale (Q) and Martin (O) have been for a long time the 3 conensus hyped cream of the goalie crop for this draft from the 3 CHL leagues...Maybe all 3 go first round--we'll see..
I still prefer JAKE PATTERSON (London Knights) who was bypassed in last year's draft..I also liked what i saw from EAMMON MCADAM of the USHL selects team playing for USA at the world Jr. A Challenge--and that is just NA goalies...
THE Finns are supposed to have a very good goalie crop : VILLE HUSSO,ATTE TOLVANEN,KEVIN LANKINEN ,JUUSE SAROS (all these are first time NHL draft eligibles..ALSO OSKARI SETANEN is having a great season for the LUKKO U-20 JR. team 15GP 2.29 GAA .930 save%,he's a '94 bypassed last year. --HOWEVER thereare no BIG Finn goalies in this crop --HUSSO is the tallest at 6'1 (185) ,TOLVANEN and LANKINEN are listed at just 5'11 and in the 160's --SAROS is the shortest at 5'10 but s 181 ,SETANEN lists at 6'0,176..
So whewther any of these good Finn goalie prospects given their lack of size
(except for maybe HUSSO) are worth a gamble that early (round one) remains to be seen--probably not..but COMRIE too lists at 6'0 175--not exactly a "BIG" goalie. Fucale lists at 6'0 166---also not a "BIG" goalie...SPENCER MARTIN lists at 6'2 190
which along with his great stats this year-if he keeps it up--should make him attractive as a first rounder..EAMON MCADAM lists at 6'2 175 and so the radar is on him the rest of his USHL season --might be a late first to 30's pick but could move higher in the first if he shines over the remainder of the USHL season--still EARLY.

The point is;SOME GOALIES will ultimately crack that TOP 30 at the draft -that WILL displace a few guys off that ISS TOP 30 (goalies excluded)for sure..

I would also think a few USHL d-men could move up into the first round beyond their one listing (McCoshen) who they ranked 30th ..

IT is obvious they love the USNDTP given all the kids from that program (they put 4 of them in their top 30 for November--but I not sure there aren't some other USHL guys not on the USNTP that should be on that list instead...Perhaps D-man Mike Downing-I liked his physicality and shut-down abilities from what I saw of him at the World Jr. A Challenge -also good size 6'3 195 ...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Any reason why Erne is hovering as low as he is? He seems to have a very pro-friendly game with upside.
this stood out to me as well.

not sure what else this kid has to do to get more respect. He is 6'2 200plus pounds and has 14 goals and 31 points in 20 games....kid is doing more then enough to get ranked higher.

he is on a stacked team, but he is out-producing everyone not named Grigorenko...he should be a top 10 talent imo.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:09 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
doubt that.

the US has had the past 2 years as down years, I see a silver lining in this group as it has solid depth, and it has some highend kids..

it wont be like the 2010 draft which I hoped, but it will be better then the past 2 years imo.

I see 3 top 15 US kids picked this year, plus 2 more by the time #20 comes around...I have 8 overall US kids picked in the first round : Jones, Erne, Santini, Hartman, Fasching, McCoshen, Compher,and Butcher. With Motte my wild card pick that could easily crack the top 30...plus I didnt list Cammarata in the top 30 as his size will hurt him like Grimaldi, his skillis first round.

I have been much more pesimistic these past few years, but this years group looks pretty solid overall this early on, but a long ways to go.
I don't see your boy Keaton on your list.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I don't see your boy Keaton on your list.
hahaha, hes not my boy...

but he is right there as well, which is why I like the depth of this class...a kid like him should find his way into the top 30 like Schmaltz did last year...I just am not penciling that in right now!

Old
11-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Only guarantees so far I'd say are MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin. The order/remainder of the top 10 is a crapshoot.
HaHaHaHa...... typical Canadian bias...

Lindholm is definitely a better prospect right now, than Monahan and Drouin.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:37 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Watch Lindholm and Nichushkin become this year's Forsberg and Grigorenko, falling way too far.
With the depth and high end talent this draft has, it's actually possible.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Agree. Teams who wants a skilled player with great upside will like Lindholm. Teams who like hardworking players with great attitude will like him too. Forsberg and Grigorenko have the skill but might have some consistency issues.
I would love for the Habs to draft Lindholm, but if the season is elimanted (which is almost inevitable), then there is very little chance we pick that high.

Then again, we do have 3 2nd round picks, so maybe we can move up.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Tripod

Drouin says thanks for putting him #4 by getting 4 points tonight!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:01 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Nichushkin shows lots of potential given his spize speed and power rushes --BUT it did not translate in the games I saw in the Subway Super Series to that much finishing and he lacks in the distribution part of the game-critical for any centre-I just do not see him as a comparable to Grigorenko who at the same age DID show finishing and set-up abilities.. SO Nichuskin too high.
Nichushkin and Grigorenko are polar opposites as far as playing styles, so this comparison of playmaking ability you are making here isn't fair. Grigs is more perimeter, set up, skilled centre. Nichushkin is definitely way stronger and more physical, an explosive and more powerful skater, as well as a better shooter I believe. Nichushkin's game is more suited for the wing and I'd be shocked to see him at centre at the NHL level. I believe this player has a sky high ceiling and deserves to be as high as he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post

That's not fair actually. Not only are you speaking in absolutes when it comes to something like prospect potential which is viewed subjectively; but I also believe that Lindholm and Monahan both have similar ceilings. I'll even go a step further than you and explain why. Monahan is producing at the same rate as RNH and Huberdeau in their draft year. Hell, he's even close to a few other 1st overalls from year's past, Stamkos to name one player. Stamkos: 61 GP, 105 P. Monahan is on pace for 96 points over the same amount of games. That's a nine point difference over an entire season, to a player who is now the best offensive forward in the league. Add in the fact that this kid is a stud defensively; you have yourself a good argument in saying that it is fair to slot him above Lindholm, a player who many say has the potential to be as good as Backstrom. Oh, and please excuse my Canadian bias.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:16 AM
thrillhous

Quote:

Well, since you say so it must be true.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

I got these guys as 1st Round worthy- Jones, Erne, Santini, Thompson, Hurley, McCarron, and Vannelli.

However, I think you'll see a boatload of Americans go in rounds 2 and 3- Fasching, Hartman, McCoshen, Johnson, Evan Allen, Compher (not playing for nearly 6 weeks is concerning), Ryan Fitzgerald, Evan Cowley (NAHL goalie), etc.

Butcher is a non-prospect imo.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Exit Dose

After watching a couple of his games, I'm not surprised to see Erne drop a few spots. Some of the guys that moved ahead of him looked better to my eyes.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:52 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasDimops View Post
The scoop on Domi (that I just heard) is that "he has diabetes and another medical condition....He has to wake up every day at 3am and shoot himself with insulin. But the kid is super driven"
he definitely has type 1 diabetes...i'm not sure what the other condition is.

eta: he's a piece sportnet did last year about him excelling despite diabetes: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...domi_diabetes/

eta: according to that video the other medical condition is celiac disease.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Canuck71

Quote:

You must catch alot of OHL, QMJHL and Elitserien games to make that assumption eh? Must be alot of travel living in Maryland.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
He has Diabetes, but so have other players (Bobby Clarke for example). I don't think it is a huge problem as he was also a top-rated prospect in the OHL draft.

I find it strange that ISS seems so down on Domi. He has some of the slickest moves in the draft, is built like a bulldog, and unlike most other smaller skilled players plays with tons of grit and heart. He is also quite adept defensively and has great playmaking skills. I'd say his size limits him from being a top 10 pick, but if I were a team looking for an offensively-minded forward in the 11-15 range, I wouldn't hesitate to scoop up Max
I can understand why Domi isnt ranked in the top 10-12 in this draft, as there is just so much high end talent in this draft, but find it really hard to believe he doesnt belong in the top 30. I've seen him in a number of games and he's been the best and most noticeable player in most of those games. He works hard and is putting up very good numbers.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
This is a very strong draft, maybe the best in a decade. I dont think you can judge the strength of the American players by how many go in the first round, but look back and judge how many become good NHL players. Some may go in the second round, but are better players than previous first rounders.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
You must catch alot of OHL, QMJHL and Elitserien games to make that assumption eh? Must be alot of travel living in Maryland.
Lol.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
mapes

Quote:

Drouin? The guys been on par with Nate since the beginning of the playoffs last year

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:29 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
he definitely has type 1 diabetes...i'm not sure what the other condition is.

eta: he's a piece sportnet did last year about him excelling despite diabetes: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...domi_diabetes/

eta: according to that video the other medical condition is celiac disease.
If true, that could be a big problem for a professional athlete as some main symptoms are fatigue and problem with gaining/losing weight.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:05 PM
arsmaster

Search function doesn't show any threads about josh Morrisey and just in case there is another one I'll ask here: is he injured? Noticed he wasn't on the box score tonight.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
THN has him at #12 on their rankings that just came out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
He is also #2 on Brock's OHLProspects.blogspot.com site, and he has a pretty good track regarding his top 2 guys coming out of the OHL.
Honestly thought he would be mid first rounder, this is making me think there is more that meets the eye.