HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Subway Super Series - Yakupov -6GP: 2G 2A

Old
11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Is it on TV?
Sportsnet 1

Last chance to watch Yaks in HD for a while, friends.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:24 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Russia has a lot more jump tonight.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:26 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

Link?

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Nail gets in a hustle with JC Lipon to start the game

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy joe View Post
Link?
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1532...ssia,-u20.html

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:30 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dumba's a bit of a train wreck tonight.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:36 PM
40oz

Great shift by the Yakupov line, no assist for him on that play but he deserves one.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Dumba has been pretty brutal tonight.
Yakupov has looked good on both sides of the puck.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Rags

English Stream:

http://www.justin.tv/cflguy/popout

Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:55 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Russia looks like a different team tonight. Really liking their play in all zones.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:59 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Now that it's forechecking, this Russian team is damn good.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:25 PM
scid14

My god will yak ever look good on our team. I can't wait to see him play with the kids.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Oilception

Been at work all night, can anyone give me an update on the score and how yaks been doing?

Oilception is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:40 PM
scid14

Damn hit that net! And great call by the ref there

Old
11-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Annnnnnnnd the goal review drops an F bomb

Old
11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
scid14

Funny to hear the conversation

Old
11-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Nail and Nuge

Anyone want to comment on Yak's performance today? Any points? Did he look flat like yesterday?

Cheers

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

No points but Yak's forecheck led directly to Khochlachev's (sp?) goal, he caused the turnover.
He was set up on the half wall for the PP again and managed to get a one timer off a few times.
He had a beauty chance in the third but he put it wide from his bread and butter spot in the slot.
He also made a few really high quality stretch passes, his saucer pass back to the point was working well, it's too bad he couldn't get on the score sheet. He had a much better game tonight IMO.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:49 AM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So let me get this straight, Yak's defensive game has dropped quite a bit- can you please be more specific? Did you just say Zharkov is nhl ready, and we can slot him into a third or fourth line asap?

In KHL he is allowed to "coast" and cherry pick - a la Bure. He did not do the same thing in Sarnia.

As for Zharkov - yea - as of today he has an NHL caliber body and he is almost there defensively.

BTW - in both cases I am merely expressing my opinion. Which can only be proven or disproven in the regular season against NHL competition.

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:23 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
No points but Yak's forecheck led directly to Khochlachev's (sp?) goal, he caused the turnover.
He was set up on the half wall for the PP again and managed to get a one timer off a few times.
He had a beauty chance in the third but he put it wide from his bread and butter spot in the slot.
He also made a few really high quality stretch passes, his saucer pass back to the point was working well, it's too bad he couldn't get on the score sheet. He had a much better game tonight IMO.
Pretty much this.

Broissot absolutely robbed him on Russia's 5 on 3 power play in the first and I think he buries the chance Groucho is talking about in the third 7/10 times.

What impressed me the most, aside from the very tenacious forecheck that lead to the 4th goal, is the speed at which he distributes the puck and gets his shot off in a cycle. He is going to be a nightmare for NHL penalty killers.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:30 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
In KHL he is allowed to "coast" and cherry pick - a la Bure. He did not do the same thing in Sarnia.

As for Zharkov - yea - as of today he has an NHL caliber body and he is almost there defensively.

BTW - in both cases I am merely expressing my opinion. Which can only be proven or disproven in the regular season against NHL competition.
I watch those games. He doesnt do that. You wouldnt know because you arent watching the games.

Zharkov isnt even close to nhl ready.

Gtfo of here troll.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:47 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post

The KHL is actually a more defensive league than either the NHL or - especially - the OHL. The bigger ice just changes the way defense is played (less running around hitting people).

Your cherry picking comment is ridiculous. Yakupov has scored a grand total of 3 of his 10 goals off the rush. In each case he received the puck well before the red line (the only time he got close to the red line was when he was stripping someone from the puck to score his empty net goal). Do you even know what cherry picking means?

I've watched every game Yakupov has played in the KHL and I can assure you he is almost always covering the right point like any right winger should. He doesn't back check like Bob Gainey but he isn't out there to back check.

Maybe educate yourself a little before coming onto our board spewing nonsense. Here's a good place to start:

Old
11-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Digger12

Was at the game last night. Had an awesome time, saw Tambellini and Prendergast there among others.

My impression of Yakupov? I honestly didn't think he had a very good game. He was average at best.

I have to wonder if 6 straight games of the opposition continually paying special attention to him and engaging him physically at every opportunity wore him down. I've seen him play with a lot more intensity than what he showed in these past 2 WHL games. I really didn't see a lot of fight in him.

Don't get me wrong, I love his talent level and truly hope that he turns out well for us...but I'd be lying if I said that he didn't leave me underwhelmed, especially with him being a 1st overall pick.

Morgan Reilly, on the other hand, was very impressive. He is a tremendous skater and very dangerous in the offensive zone, though I predict he'll have an adjustment period playing defense at the NHL level. He doesn't have much of a physical game that I could see.

As others have stated, Dumba was bad...a turnover machine and I never once saw the physicality he's supposedly known for. He certainly didn't live up to the PK Subban comparisons. He looked very nervous.

Griffin Reinhart was solid, nothing great but definitely an intimidating presence. IMO team WHL was really missing Ryan Murray on the back end.

The other thing that was interesting to watch was the contrast in how the two teams did their pregame warmups. While the Russians were constantly doing 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 drills with lots of one-touch passing and flow, the WHL side was mainly just guys skating around on their own, taking random shots at the net...they weren't nearly as organized. Interesting to note, during the pregame warmup the WHLers came out wearing their individual team jerseys, not the 'Team WHL' ones.

Overall though, I had a great time. Like I said earlier, first time in over 20 years that I was able to get to a live game. I hope it won't be another 20 years before the next one.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:56 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Was at the game last night. Had an awesome time, saw Tambellini and Prendergast there among others.

My impression of Yakupov? I honestly didn't think he had a very good game. He was average at best.

I have to wonder if 6 straight games of the opposition continually paying special attention to him and engaging him physically at every opportunity wore him down. I've seen him play with a lot more intensity than what he showed in these past 2 WHL games. I really didn't see a lot of fight in him.

Don't get me wrong, I love his talent level and truly hope that he turns out well for us...but I'd be lying if I said that he didn't leave me underwhelmed, especially with him being a 1st overall pick.

Morgan Reilly, on the other hand, was very impressive. He is a tremendous skater and very dangerous in the offensive zone, though I predict he'll have an adjustment period playing defense at the NHL level. He doesn't have much of a physical game that I could see.

As others have stated, Dumba was bad...a turnover machine and I never once saw the physicality he's supposedly known for. He certainly didn't live up to the PK Subban comparisons. He looked very nervous.

Griffin Reinhart was solid, nothing great but definitely an intimidating presence. IMO team WHL was really missing Ryan Murray on the back end.

The other thing that was interesting to watch was the contrast in how the two teams did their pregame warmups. While the Russians were constantly doing 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 drills with lots of one-touch passing and flow, the WHL side was mainly just guys skating around on their own, taking random shots at the net...they weren't nearly as organized. Interesting to note, during the pregame warmup the WHLers came out wearing their individual team jerseys, not the 'Team WHL' ones.

Overall though, I had a great time. Like I said earlier, first time in over 20 years that I was able to get to a live game. I hope it won't be another 20 years before the next one.
Rielly made a couple of impressive rushes but I have no idea how you can come away from last night's game thinking he was more impressive than Yakupov.

Yakupov distributed the puck extremely well (negating the exteme defensive pressure the WHL was applying to him), had two very high quality shots that could have very easily gone in, and he stripped the puck on what would have been a very dangerous WHL breakout to create the chance that lead to Russia's 4th goal.

He might not have met your expectations but he was easily better than anyone on team WHL.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:18 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Rielly made a couple of impressive rushes but I have no idea how you can come away from last night's game thinking he was more impressive than Yakupov.

Yakupov distributed the puck extremely well (negating the exteme defensive pressure the WHL was applying to him), had two very high quality shots that could have very easily gone in, and he stripped the puck on what would have been a very dangerous WHL breakout to create the chance that lead to Russia's 4th goal.

He might not have met your expectations but he was easily better than anyone on team WHL.
Yakupov played an average game in that he made good decisions and didnt turn the puck over. It was mentioned the Russian coach played a defensive system so that conflicted with Yakupovs style. Its good to note that he adapted and played a team game and spread the puck around.Average fans will say he played bad because he didnt score twice or go coast to coast. But people who understand the game notice how he plays the team system and used his teammates very effectively

Reilly played the opposite and played a run and guns style, he had a nice double toe drag and some good rushes but his defensive game was horrid, pucks up the middle, give aways.

Im a fan of run and gun styles but if you put your team at a disadvantage by playing to wild then Id prefer a simpler game.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote