HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2012, 09:04 AM
  #776
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
The owners got the players down from 57% to 50%, and have so far given up nothing.

Now they're demanding a 2 week break because they STILL haven't gotten enough concessions from the players?

When does it end?

Skraut is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 09:20 AM
  #777
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
It doesnt end. At least not until next season.

As for me, I've decided to boycott corporate sponsors of the NHL.

Sponsors that I use includes McDonalds, Pepsi & Verizon. As of today, I will not frequent McDonalds nor drink any Pepsi products. And I will switch to ATT as soon as my agreement expires with Verizon next month. Send a message to sponsors, and hopefully 1 or 2 drop the NHL. Maybe there will be less HRR to fight over.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
  #778
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The owners got the players down from 57% to 50%, and have so far given up nothing.

Now they're demanding a 2 week break because they STILL haven't gotten enough concessions from the players?

When does it end?
Well there are certainly some smoke and mirrors around that and the infamous make whole situation.

Frankly, this is made more and more difficult because of the negotiations rights and that the union is demanding a certain percentage of revenue.

We can get into how we got here, but honestly I don't see anything from either side. The players just did a little better job spinning their "concession(s)".

blahblah is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:16 PM
  #779
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
It doesnt end. At least not until next season.

As for me, I've decided to boycott corporate sponsors of the NHL.

Sponsors that I use includes McDonalds, Pepsi & Verizon. As of today, I will not frequent McDonalds nor drink any Pepsi products. And I will switch to ATT as soon as my agreement expires with Verizon next month. Send a message to sponsors, and hopefully 1 or 2 drop the NHL. Maybe there will be less HRR to fight over.
No boycott is worth switching to AT&T.

FANonymous is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:19 PM
  #780
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
No boycott is worth switching to AT&T.
Dont tell anybody, but Verizon coverage is spotty at best out in the boondocks where I live. So I was going to switch anyhow

IBleedUnionBlue is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:55 PM
  #781
vthockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Why boycott the sponsors, they have no control.
I think it would be better to boycott the NHL.
Do you think they would get the message if the first game had no fans show up??

vthockey is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 02:04 PM
  #782
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I felt the season would be lost the second I heard Fehr came on board. Yes Bettman has been here for the others, but the combination of the 2 was a death blow waiting to happen. This is the most valid opinion from the whole lockout

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409406
He's come at it from a different perspective. He makes some very valid points, such as one that I've seen brought up a couple of times. Waiting to damn long to start this process.

blahblah is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
  #783
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He's come at it from a different perspective. He makes some very valid points, such as one that I've seen brought up a couple of times. Waiting to damn long to start this process.
I'm convinced that starting negotiations earlier would have changed nothing. Had this begun in June, we'd be in exactly the same spot now, except we'd have had an additional four months to argue and agonize over the lack of progress.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:52 PM
  #784
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I'm convinced that starting negotiations earlier would have changed nothing. Had this begun in June, we'd be in exactly the same spot now, except we'd have had an additional four months to argue and agonize over the lack of progress.
It was simply part of the game. Neither side had any intention of compromise. To start in 2011 would have shown a desire to accomplish something. This isn't about getting something done, it's about bending the other side to their will.

blahblah is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 03:56 PM
  #785
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,064
vCash: 500
This is what I hate most about union negotiations. Nothing will ever begin until the deadline time is at the 12th hour....then they start from that point on. Smart ones will start the process, but those, such as Fehr, who are playing the game by the book, wait expect to strong arm. As soon as he was announced with the NHLPA, I knew it would be bad, and such it has been. I've got 4 unions at where I work, and are just coming up on open contracts....so nothing worse then having the sport you love get ruined by unions. Look at what's happened with Hostess.....they wanted to fight cuts in pay, now 18k may lose their jobs because their union wanted to strike. Awesome job

BluejacketNut is online now  
Old
11-16-2012, 06:48 PM
  #786
Straight Jacket
Registered User
 
Straight Jacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Well, as a day one ticket holder and the experience of being locked out for 2 yrs in a union contract dispute, I beg to differ. The union has tried to bring a lot of transparency to their talks by including numerous players, not so much from the ownership. There are a lot of layers to these talks, as always. and some we'll never know. I'm as frustrated as anyone and ready to see a done deal. Neither side should want this to drag out. I know that "winning" after some length of time comes at too great a cost to all involved.

Straight Jacket is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 07:40 PM
  #787
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Jacket View Post
Well, as a day one ticket holder and the experience of being locked out for 2 yrs in a union contract dispute, I beg to differ. The union has tried to bring a lot of transparency to their talks by including numerous players, not so much from the ownership. There are a lot of layers to these talks, as always. and some we'll never know. I'm as frustrated as anyone and ready to see a done deal. Neither side should want this to drag out. I know that "winning" after some length of time comes at too great a cost to all involved.
I strongly disagree. All most of us have seen is a group of players spouting off and making complete jackasses of themselves. A player making the league minimum clears more than 10 times what most of us make in a year, and yet we get to be subjected to clowns like Krys Barch bemoaning the idea of having to work once their careers are over. Some of us work can work an entire day and yet make less than what an NHL player's per diem amounts to.

We have NHL players telling fans that "You wouldn't want to take a 25% pay cut!" Of course not. That would put most of us into the beginnings of foreclosure, repossession, utility shutoff, or any of a number of undesirable situations.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not blasting anyone for making more than I do. But the absolutely stunning lack of perspective and willingness to follow an assclown like Donald Fehr over a cliff is unbelievable. Perhaps once the lockout ends, Fehr can go represent Hostess employees...after all, ownership was simply bluffing their way through that, weren't they? I get the feeling that he'd be awfully ****ing proud of a bunch of employees who salvaged their pride, and now get to pay the bills with nothing but IOUs and pride.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
  #788
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Anybody got a line on what it would take to force Arbitration and how it would be binding?

JACKETfan is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 10:56 PM
  #789
Halfboard
mmmm, beer
 
Halfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Springtucky
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
This is what I hate most about union negotiations. Nothing will ever begin until the deadline time is at the 12th hour....then they start from that point on. Smart ones will start the process, but those, such as Fehr, who are playing the game by the book, wait expect to strong arm. As soon as he was announced with the NHLPA, I knew it would be bad, and such it has been. I've got 4 unions at where I work, and are just coming up on open contracts....so nothing worse then having the sport you love get ruined by unions. Look at what's happened with Hostess.....they wanted to fight cuts in pay, now 18k may lose their jobs because their union wanted to strike. Awesome job
Yep, it's always those damn greedy workers that bring down the compassionate, caring company.

Halfboard is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 11:28 PM
  #790
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
Yep, it's always those damn greedy workers that bring down the compassionate, caring company.
They certainly served their constituents well, didnt they? Maybe the unemployed workers can ask their union boss' for money since im sure they'll still have their job

BluejacketNut is online now  
Old
11-17-2012, 12:30 AM
  #791
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthockey View Post
Why boycott the sponsors, they have no control.
I think it would be better to boycott the NHL.
Do you think they would get the message if the first game had no fans show up??
Because sponsors want to protect their public image. And listening to some shows on NHL XM radio, it is clear that some of the sponsors have a concern being associated with the NHL and its history of failures to reach a CBA / lockout. Sponsors dont want to associate their names to an industry that pisses off their fans like the NHL does.

Edit post to add this column circling twitter today.
http://mobile.philly.com/sports/?wss...viewAll=y#more

Quote:
Put simply: Snider and the rest of the NHL's owners were promised a big win by Bettman, with player concessions on revenue division and contracting rights. The best they'll get now is a small win in revenue split - coupled with a demoralized fan base and all-important corporate sponsors that are ready to quit.


Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 11-17-2012 at 09:29 AM.
IBleedUnionBlue is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 10:30 AM
  #792
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
Yep, it's always those damn greedy workers that bring down the compassionate, caring company.
Who said the company was compassionate and caring? This is really starting to go overboard here. It's thoughts like those above that serve to polarize. Not just yours but others.

We know very little about Hostess and to draw conclusions and parallel's to the current situation is probably a complete waste of time.

blahblah is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
  #793
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
Yep, it's always those damn greedy workers that bring down the compassionate, caring company.
For the most part, it's a two-way street. There exist greedy companies fighting against unions trying to give workers a fair shake, and there exist greedy unions trying to extract excessive amounts from companies that have no problem treating workers as equals.

In years gone by, management has used unionbusters, and unions have used sympathy strikes and wildcat strikes. There is no monolith of "evil management" or "wicked unions"; let's at least take everything on its own merit.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 12:10 PM
  #794
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
It would be interesting to know how a players like Derek MacKenzie And Jared Boll really feel about these negotiations.

MacKenzie is 31 years old and played forever in the minors before finally sticking in the NHL. He's earned a 2 year, $1 million/year contact and he's already lost approximately $300,000 of this amount even if the lockout were to be settled today. This is money that he'll never recoup. Boll can be categorized as a "spare part" in the roster scheme of things. He-like MacKenzie-won't ever make up what he is losing.

I wonder how long Fehr can keep the lower salary guys towing the company line. I would imagine that at some point that this could be a bigger problem for him than the actual negotiations with the league.

Cyclones Rock is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
  #795
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
A player making the league minimum clears more than 10 times what most of us make in a year, and yet we get to be subjected to clowns like Krys Barch bemoaning the idea of having to work once their careers are over.
This sense of entitlement is really over the top. That a borderline player is feeling exploited because may actually have to work after he turns 35 borders on disgusting.

What a complete lack of perspective upon reality guys like Barch have.

Cyclones Rock is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 08:30 AM
  #796
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthockey View Post
Why boycott the sponsors, they have no control.
I think it would be better to boycott the NHL.
Do you think they would get the message if the first game had no fans show up??
I'll take it one step further, i think EVERY fan of EVERY team should boycott as many games as the NHL has/is taking away from the people who give them something to fight over....the fans.

OT, came here to see the reaction to Murray's seperated shoulder, surprised no thread.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 08:32 AM
  #797
Halfboard
mmmm, beer
 
Halfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Springtucky
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'll take it one step further, i think EVERY fan of EVERY team should boycott as many games as the NHL has/is taking away from the people who give them something to fight over....the fans.

OT, came here to see the reaction to Murray's seperated shoulder, surprised no thread.
Only the Jackets would have the "luck" of having players get injured during a lockout..........

Halfboard is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 08:38 AM
  #798
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
Only the Jackets would have the "luck" of having players get injured during a lockout..........
Actually...so far Ottawa tops the list. Jared Cowen broke his hip in the AHL and is out 6-8 months. Not sure how serious Murray's shoulder is yet....more info today.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  #799
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'll take it one step further, i think EVERY fan of EVERY team should boycott as many games as the NHL has/is taking away from the people who give them something to fight over....the fans.

OT, came here to see the reaction to Murray's seperated shoulder, surprised no thread.
Reaction is in the CBJ Prospects thread.

CBJWennberg41 is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 02:52 PM
  #800
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'll take it one step further, i think EVERY fan of EVERY team should boycott as many games as the NHL has/is taking away from the people who give them something to fight over....the fans..
Good luck with that. I am not going to boycott anything, never mind hockey. I have not be harmed in any way and I will wait patiently for the games to come back on.

blahblah is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.