HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Regular Season (4-7)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 11:03 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Also...

McKelvin > Williams

McKelvin got called for pass interference, but if Williams was playing that would have been a touchdown.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:15 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
You can get on Gailey all you want for Spiller not being in for short distance plays, but Spiller was not all that effective in running situations between the tackles. Tonight was a perfect showcase of what they miss when Jackson is out. The pass protection was poor, and there isn't that power that Jackson has on 3rd and short that can move the pile for the first down.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Spiller played a solid game, but there was an element missing from the offense that is usually there in Chan's offense. And it showed.

The defense was great. Followed up on the positive signs in the HOU and NE game. We don't play a lot of established QB's the rest of the way. Even Indy's offense isn't as good as you'd think.

EDIT: I do want to admit to some criticisms of Chan's playcalling. 5 wide on 3rd and 2 was, is, and always will be moronic. Wildcat on 3rd and 2 is worse than that. Ugggghhh.

Last edited by misterchainsaw: 11-15-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 11:34 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
I also have to say I was extremely impressed with NFL network's color man. He both clearly did his homework and was very knowledgable of the game of football. He also didn't let his homework color his call of the game. He was refreshingly free of bias.

Very impressed.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:27 AM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It wasn't pretty, but we did it.

Defense finally stepped up. Byrd is legit.

Fitz didn't lose us the game. The offense moved the ball reasonably well, but couldn't finish. Give the Dolphins D some credit, there wasn't a lot of room out there.

Some of those 3rd and shorts would have converted by Fred IMO.

Chan called a conservative game.
I don't mean to harp on you specifically but I'm highlighting this because the fact is: Fitz actually had a good game. And for Bills fans, that will only translate to "he didn't lose" simply because the game ended up being close. I counted at least four drops that quality receivers make, including Donald Jones' TD miss that led to the first (maybe second, I'm pretty drunk now buy the point still stands) field goal. That throw was on the ****ing money in that situation and Jones' couldn't haul it in. Chandler had an easy one he dropped as did one of the HBs (can't remember who but it wasn't the Choice 3rd down play that Fitz did overthrow) and there was another back-shoulder play that a WR blew. Couple that with the way Fitz avoided pressure (pass protection was kinda weak at times) and turned a few sacks into yardage gained and it's clear he showed some nice awareness. But I'm sure he'll only get ripped on for the 2 or 3 suspect throws he had, true to Bills fans' form (again, not necessarily on this board, just in general).

The worst part about this game was the playcalling. Chan called another ****ing stinker but fortunately the D held, Miami gave us a couple drops and Jairus ****ing Byrd was a beast. I'll take a win any day but that kind of offensive game won't lead us on the run I'm hoping for (fine, yeah, I'm an optimist, sue me.), so they really need to tighten up.

And I'll say this; Spiller had a very good game but he's at his greatest when he has Jackson complimenting him. That's not just CJ giving lip service to the media, that's truth. Ignoring the fact that Fred is an IMMENSELY better pass protector than CJ, they work much better in tandem than CJ and some depth player (eg. Choice). Spiller will make plays but he will make them more often with FredEx in the mix, so enough complaining about FJ getting touches when he's healthy.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:34 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I don't mean to harp on you specifically but I'm highlighting this because the fact is: Fitz actually had a good game. And for Bills fans, that will only translate to "he didn't lose" simply because the game ended up being close. I counted at least four drops that quality receivers make, including Donald Jones' TD miss that led to the first (maybe second, I'm pretty drunk now buy the point still stands) field goal. That throw was on the ****ing money in that situation and Jones' couldn't haul it in. Chandler had an easy one he dropped as did one of the HBs (can't remember who but it wasn't the Choice 3rd down play that Fitz did overthrow) and there was another back-shoulder play that a WR blew. Couple that with the way Fitz avoided pressure (pass protection was kinda weak at times) and turned a few sacks into yardage gained and it's clear he showed some nice awareness. But I'm sure he'll only get ripped on for the 2 or 3 suspect throws he had, true to Bills fans' form (again, not necessarily on this board, just in general).

The worst part about this game was the playcalling. Chan called another ****ing stinker but fortunately the D held, Miami gave us a couple drops and Jairus ****ing Byrd was a beast. I'll take a win any day but that kind of offensive game won't lead us on the run I'm hoping for (fine, yeah, I'm an optimist, sue me.), so they really need to tighten up.

And I'll say this; Spiller had a very good game but he's at his greatest when he has Jackson complimenting him. That's not just CJ giving lip service to the media, that's truth. Ignoring the fact that Fred is an IMMENSELY better pass protector than CJ, they work much better in tandem than CJ and some depth player (eg. Choice). Spiller will make plays but he will make them more often with FredEx in the mix, so enough complaining about FJ getting touches when he's healthy.
Yea, I completely agree about the Spiller/Jackson scenario. I've said for a while now, that having Jackson with his talents makes Spiller that much more effective, and the Bills' offense as a result. Spiller is not an every-down back, or one you want trying to punch it in from the 2 yard line. It's just up to Gailey to make sure both are used in a manner that makes the offense the most efficient.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:00 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Why the hell do they keep not using Spiller in the red zone?
Not to harp on this, but I was at the game. Spiller took himself out in a lot of these situations after a couple longer runs. I'm not going to guess why, but it was clearly Spiller running off looking for the break, not Chan sending Choice in for him.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:39 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Maybe I should have phrased that better. I meant that he didn't turn the ball over, and played more conservatively because the situation called for it. (I'm one of the biggest Fitz apologist around BTW)

I think the last 4 games in particular he's been throwing the ball much better. He's been a serviceable NFL quarterback, and that's all we've ever asked of him.

Even his deep ball last night looked much better, and it resulted in something positive (pass interference call).

Quote:

I don't think Chan called a bad game. Give the Dolphin's D some credit. There wasn't a whole lot of room out there for the Bills offense. If Fred was in the game we would have converted some of those 3rd and shorts, an probably would have been more productive offensively.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:47 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Maybe I should have phrased that better. I meant that he didn't turn the ball over, and played more conservatively because the situation called for it. (I'm one of the biggest Fitz apologist around BTW)

I think the last 4 games in particular he's been throwing the ball much better. He's been a serviceable NFL quarterback, and that's all we've ever asked of him.

Even his deep ball last night looked much better, and it resulted in something positive (pass interference call).

I don't think Chan called a bad game. Give the Dolphin's D some credit. There wasn't a whole lot of room out there for the Bills offense. If Fred was in the game we would have converted some of those 3rd and shorts, an probably would have been more productive offensively.
I agree Fitz is throwing more accurate than earlier in the year. It might be a case of him being more comfortable now with the mechanics improvements Lee has him doing, so his timing is not off like it was earlier.

As for Chan...I'd like to see more play-action passes. And also less empty backfield...the Dolphins were bringing a lot of heat off the edges. The passing game was more successful when there was a back who could chip on those rushers (notably Wake). And Spiller in the game down in the red zone to add another threat...but otherwise yeah, the playcalling wasn't atrocious. Still hate the Wildcat though...

Old
11-16-2012, 10:05 AM
whiplash

Oh yeah, and Fitz was really selling that play action last night. I don't know if he's always been good at it and I haven't noticed, if it was just a good night for his acting abilities or if the Dolphins defenders are just jumpy but the LBs were biting hard on most of those run fakes

Old
11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
johnjm22

It was also nice to see Merriman involved. You can tell he loves being out there.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:01 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Oh yeah, and Fitz was really selling that play action last night. I don't know if he's always been good at it and I haven't noticed, if it was just a good night for his acting abilities or if the Dolphins defenders are just jumpy but the LBs were biting hard on most of those run fakes
Miami was overplaying the run the entire night, trying to make Fitz beat them. Frankly, I thought Chan should have overused PA to pop the run lanes open a bit for Spiller.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I also have to say I was extremely impressed with NFL network's color man. He both clearly did his homework and was very knowledgable of the game of football. He also didn't let his homework color his call of the game. He was refreshingly free of bias.

Very impressed.
Mayock is excellent. He's also a very good draftnik, which is why I seek his coverage on NFL Network before I look for ESPN's Kiper/McShay combo. Mayock also does the color for all ND games on NBC.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
It was also nice to see Merriman involved. You can tell he loves being out there.
It was hilarious though hearing that comment about how no player has been paid more to do less the last few years.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
I agree with the sentiment that Mayock's analysis was refreshing and also that Spiller was the one taking himself out more often than I'd like, which wouldn't have been much of a problem if F.Jackson was healthy; Choice just doesn't make the same runs/cuts. I would've liked to seen more efficiency on 3rd-and-1 and in the RZ, but a win's a win.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Pondslider

This might sound ignorant, but it's surprising to me that Spiller gets winded so often even though he's a track guy. Is it conditioning? Is he just not used to playing that much? Last night he was playing two or three plays and then sitting two or three plays. That kills drives when the backup is Tashard Choice.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post

Very impressed.
Mike Mayock is the best in the business. He was just the NFL Network draft guy for awhile until they bumped him to the booth. He's far and away the #1 media draft expert IMO, and this means he always knows every player inside and out (memorizing Devon Bess's 40 yard dash time, for instance).

Old
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Mayock is excellent. He's also a very good draftnik, which is why I seek his coverage on NFL Network before I look for ESPN's Kiper/McShay combo. Mayock also does the color for all ND games on NBC.
The play by play guy for NBC's ND games is an ND homer, and I say that as an unabashed ND fan. Mayock is even handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
It was hilarious though hearing that comment about how no player has been paid more to do less the last few years.
Super Mario has a goal to displace him!!!
Bills leading the league in something!!!

Old
11-16-2012, 05:01 PM
whiplash

Just when I thought we were becoming not a joke...

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...nto-bills-game

**** you so hard, Toronto

Old
11-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
The play by play guy for NBC's ND games is an ND homer, and I say that as an unabashed ND fan. Mayock is even handed.

Super Mario has a goal to displace him!!!
Bills leading the league in something!!!
Tom Hammond? AWFUL. The one game Dan Hicks did as a boring golf guy was actually tolerable.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Not getting TDs might not bite them in this game, but it will in others. And that used to be what the Bills did best: convert into TDs and keep Lindell kicking XPs.
While I agree I also feel the gun is being jumped here. The drive before the half they had the ball at the 1 only able to run one play. The first time Jones dropped what was a great pass. That TD before the half woulda made a big difference.

If only the D could play like that.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

So Shawne Merriman is...ALIVE?! Mario too? I wish that would be a common theme but i'm not holding my breath here.

Where did hat D come from? The Dolphins didnt make Buffalo territory til the late 3rd and didn't get 100 yards til the 4th.

Some of Chan's playcalling stinks, and it's the fundamental crap. How on 3rd and 1 do you go with an empty backfield?

The wildcat blows, though on the replay Choice ran it poorly, there was a hole on that left side, he went to the right.

I loved watching Fitz pick on that corner. Really worked out one drive well. HEY HE CAN THROW THE DEEP BALL!!!! I think Graham could have caught that in stride if not interfered with.

One thing aside from Chan's terrible fundamental blunders from time to time....but Spiller...do some up the middle running, enough of the East to West garbage. On replays last night I could see on some runs if he went right up the middle he had holes to run in.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:15 AM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Fred is better at finding the gaps than CJ but there is a reason why one went 1st round and the other wasn't drafted. Buffalo is better when they have both.

If you were wondering here has been the results of the widlcat this year for Buffalo on offense;

2-5-BUF 21 (7:16) Wildcat formation, direct snap to B.Smith (R.Fitzpatrick at WR). (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller right end to BUF 28 for 7 yards (21-J.Arenas).
1-10-KC 43 (4:41) Wildcat formation, (R.Fitzpatrick at WR). Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith left guard to KC 45 for -2 yards (56-D.Johnson, 50-J.Houston). PENALTY on BUF-67-A.Levitre, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at KC 43 - No Play.
2-10-SF 33 (5:56) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 28-C.Spiller left end to SF 38 for -5 yards (53-N.Bowman).
1-10-BUF 45 (7:52) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith left end to SF 20 for 35 yards (38-D.Goldson)
2-1-BUF 34 (13:44) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith right tackle to BUF 37 for 3 yards (58-D.Washington).
1-10-ARI 17 (1:20) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith up the middle to ARI 1 for 16 yards (21-P.Peterson).
2-9-ARI 36 (4:00) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith pass deep middle intended for 19-D.Jones INTERCEPTED by 21-P.Peterson at ARI 0. 21-P.Peterson to ARI 15 for 15 yards (79-E.Pears).
2-12-TEN 26 (5:05) Wildcat, direct snap to B.Smith (R.Fitzpatrick at WR). (Shotgun) 16-B.Smith up the middle to TEN 24 for 2 yards (92-W.Witherspoon).
2-6-HOU 20 (3:45) (Shotgun) 16-B.Smith right guard to HOU 20 for no gain (99-J.Watt). (#16 Smith received the direct snap.)
3-1-BUF 33 (10:00) Direct snap to T.Choice. 20-T.Choice up the middle to BUF 33 for no gain (20-R.Jones, 91-C.Wake).

So they ran it 11 times; got 4 first downs, 1 INT, stopped in the backfield or line of scrimmage 5 times and 1 gain without getting a first down

Old
11-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
Jack-ed up!

Oh god, Psy (the guy who sings "Gangnam Style")'s going to perform at halftime of the Bills/Seahawks game next month: http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...nto-bills-game

Old
11-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Fred is better at finding the gaps than CJ but there is a reason why one went 1st round and the other wasn't drafted. Buffalo is better when they have both.

If you were wondering here has been the results of the widlcat this year for Buffalo on offense;

2-5-BUF 21 (7:16) Wildcat formation, direct snap to B.Smith (R.Fitzpatrick at WR). (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller right end to BUF 28 for 7 yards (21-J.Arenas).
1-10-KC 43 (4:41) Wildcat formation, (R.Fitzpatrick at WR). Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith left guard to KC 45 for -2 yards (56-D.Johnson, 50-J.Houston). PENALTY on BUF-67-A.Levitre, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at KC 43 - No Play.
2-10-SF 33 (5:56) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 28-C.Spiller left end to SF 38 for -5 yards (53-N.Bowman).
1-10-BUF 45 (7:52) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith left end to SF 20 for 35 yards (38-D.Goldson)
2-1-BUF 34 (13:44) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith right tackle to BUF 37 for 3 yards (58-D.Washington).
1-10-ARI 17 (1:20) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith up the middle to ARI 1 for 16 yards (21-P.Peterson).
2-9-ARI 36 (4:00) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith pass deep middle intended for 19-D.Jones INTERCEPTED by 21-P.Peterson at ARI 0. 21-P.Peterson to ARI 15 for 15 yards (79-E.Pears).
2-12-TEN 26 (5:05) Wildcat, direct snap to B.Smith (R.Fitzpatrick at WR). (Shotgun) 16-B.Smith up the middle to TEN 24 for 2 yards (92-W.Witherspoon).
2-6-HOU 20 (3:45) (Shotgun) 16-B.Smith right guard to HOU 20 for no gain (99-J.Watt). (#16 Smith received the direct snap.)
3-1-BUF 33 (10:00) Direct snap to T.Choice. 20-T.Choice up the middle to BUF 33 for no gain (20-R.Jones, 91-C.Wake).

So they ran it 11 times; got 4 first downs, 1 INT, stopped in the backfield or line of scrimmage 5 times and 1 gain without getting a first down
What quarter was that one in SF that went for 35 yards? Was the game out of reach by that point? Regardless they only have 2 big plays on it, evidence to...STOP RUNNING IT!!!!

Old
11-17-2012, 01:10 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
What quarter was that one in SF that went for 35 yards? Was the game out of reach by that point? Regardless they only have 2 big plays on it, evidence to...STOP RUNNING IT!!!!
score was 24-3 in the 3rd quarter.

I mean you could argue if you take out the INT, it's a respectable 56 yards in 9 plays but I'd counter that if you take out that 35 yarder, it's averaged around 2 yards per attempt.

Closed Thread