HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 01:16 PM
doorman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
There's a lot of people saying that. Rielly's injury is the only reason the Leafs got him at #5. He could have gone first overall. The Leafs got lucky (Finally).

On Hockey Central, Kypreos and Maclean laugh at the Leafs daily for how pathetic they are. But even they had to admit, the top scouts they've talked to say Rielly could have gone #1 overall if he wasn't injured.
After listening to Bobbie Mac talkabout rielly I am even more pumped. I on the previous board I went to called for him to be our pick numerous times. Watching him and gardiner skate together should be fun.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:52 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

How physical is Rielly? Does he hit much?

Old
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturioux View Post
While he is not a typical physical beast he does not shy away nor is he soft as many claim him to be. Here is an example of him not shying away

http://youtu.be/eae4EsGoe1k

Old
11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
ponder

Quote:
Almost never hits. With that being said, he is actually pretty solidly built (officially measured at 6'0.5" and 200 lbs at the draft combine), he's strong on the puck, he'll use his body to protect the puck, and he's loves going into traffic/danger areas. Definitely not soft offensively, but defensively he plays a finesse game, doesn't really go for hits at all. I've also seen him get blown up by forecheckers quite a number of times, he does seem to be someone that the opposition targets, though that's probably as much about wanting to take a top player off his game as it is him being an easy target.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:46 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
While he is not a typical physical beast he does not shy away nor is he soft as many claim him to be. Here is an example of him not shying away

http://youtu.be/eae4EsGoe1k
That guy was hard on him, would have been difficult to avoid contact completly. Had 3 options, fight,take down, turtle. He choose number 2.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:54 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Never hits, but he isn't afraid to get hit in order to make plays, in both ends of the ice. He loves driving the net whenever he has the chance.

Defensive game is being overblown a bit IMO, a bad game for him yesterday but Stothers regularly uses him on the PK and against top lines and he usually does a solid job in his own end. Will be interesting to see how that translates however

Old
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Well am a Habs fan, and even I have to admit that Reilly looked pretty darn good in the first super series game earlier this week. Goodness. Not too jealous cause we got a gem as well, but why could he not have ended up with the islanders?
Anyways, great pick by the Keats (omg I threw up a little in my mouth just saying that).

Old
11-17-2012, 12:09 AM
rival

I was at the game last night and for as much flack as Rielly got from reading the game day thread I was still really impressed. The biggest thing I noticed was how he makes adjustments to give himself better passing lanes or to make himself available for passes. It was especially apparent when contrasted with Dumba who seemingly has the tools but just can't figure out what to do with them.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:40 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Already showing some good IQ with the plays he's making out there. You can tell the kind of player he's going to be. Unbelievable offensive potential with the IQ to be at the very least an average defensive player. A great future top-4 defenseman and PP QB for the Leafs.

IMO his hype train will be similar to Justin Schultz in a year or two here. A level above Gardiner's.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Ruah

What get overlooked about Rielly this season is that his conditioning is still lacking with losing a year's development last season.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:58 AM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruah View Post
What get overlooked about Rielly this season is that his conditioning is still lacking with losing a year's development last season.
I don't get this argument anymore, I think he still worked really hard on his conditioning and have it brought back to game shape. Its not impossible, and for all we know he could be the most conditioned player on the Warriors.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:23 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Anyone wanting another look at Rielly can get one next friday on Sportsnet vs Oil Kings.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
I really hope Rielly is traded at some point this season... His talents are being wasted in Moose Jaw, sorry Moose Jaw fans

Old
11-17-2012, 12:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I really hope Rielly is traded at some point this season... His talents are being wasted in Moose Jaw, sorry Moose Jaw fans
Won't happen.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Quote:
I take it you will want the Leafs to trade him too.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:06 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How do you figure that, he's playing all kinds of minutes and producing that's what it's all about. Development is what it's all about period.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:07 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Post of the year

Old
11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
If the NHL comes back than Rielly is a serious risk for leaving to the NHL. Maybe if the season is cancelled he could be traded. Same reason Huberdeau won't be traded for now.

As a Leafs fan I hope that Rielly does not go to the NHL. Rielly is too precious to rush into anything. He has not even had a full junior career because of his injury.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Won't happen.
I know

Quote:
Its not that i want him to be on a good team, more so he can play games deep into a cup run if dealt to a contender, then topping it off with a potential Memorial Cup tournament. In Moose Jaw he may be on a team that squeaks into the playoffs but likely looses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
How do you figure that, he's playing all kinds of minutes and producing that's what it's all about. Development is what it's all about period.
Refer to what i responded to Kid Dynamite with.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Won't happen.
Obviously not right now, But if a team like Kamloops or Portland came in with a big offer it could make sense for Moose Jaw to move him and get a big haul for him, Cause he won't be playing in Moose Jaw next year.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Already showing some good IQ with the plays he's making out there. You can tell the kind of player he's going to be. Unbelievable offensive potential with the IQ to be at the very least an average defensive player. A great future top-4 defenseman and PP QB for the Leafs.

IMO his hype train will be similar to Justin Schultz in a year or two here. A level above Gardiner's.
Reilly is being said to be the best defensemen in the draft, and even just maybe the best player in the draft, by a couple respected hockey people at least anyhow. With all due respect to Schultz and Gardiner whom are great prospects, but years ahead in terms of age. Until now, both players have been projected as top pairing defenseman, but I don't think anyone has gone so far as to call them, franchise players. Personally as a leaf fan, i think Gardiner overachieved slightly, I don't see him as a franchise player and am not completely convinced he's even a top pairing defenseman.. Im still hesitant to jump on that bandwagon just yet. From what I've seen thus far, speed is the only thing that Gardiner might have an ever so tiny edge over rielly on, but in terms of agility, puck skills and offensive instincts, rielly is significantly better. With that being said, Ive never seen Schultz in action, other than YouTube highlights. But In those highlights I seen more agility, puck control (overall offensive flair) then those of Gardiner.

Reilly

Schultz
Gardiner

Long story short, i think us leaf fans are expecting more from Reilly then the Gardiner/Schultz hype.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Stephen23

Quote:
I can appreciate that great comeback. Good job!

Old
11-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Lets just hope the leafs get a pick in that top five, the fans definitely deserve it.
This was probably bumped 40 times in this thread but I got a good laugh out of this from page 1

Old
11-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Dionysus

I really like Rielly's tools and potential. Could be a really fun player to watch.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:09 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Reilly is being said to be the best defensemen in the draft, and even just maybe the best player in the draft, by a couple respected hockey people at least anyhow. With all due respect to Schultz and Gardiner whom are great prospects, but years ahead in terms of age. Until now, both players have been projected as top pairing defenseman, but I don't think anyone has gone so far as to call them, franchise players. Personally as a leaf fan, i think Gardiner overachieved slightly, I don't see him as a franchise player and am not completely convinced he's even a top pairing defenseman.. Im still hesitant to jump on that bandwagon just yet. From what I've seen thus far, speed is the only thing that Gardiner might have an ever so tiny edge over rielly on, but in terms of agility, puck skills and offensive instincts, rielly is significantly better. With that being said, Ive never seen Schultz in action, other than YouTube highlights. But In those highlights I seen more agility, puck control (overall offensive flair) then those of Gardiner.

Reilly

Schultz
Gardiner

Long story short, i think us leaf fans are expecting more from Reilly then the Gardiner/Schultz hype.
Shiny new toy. Rielly's a helluva prospect, but lets wait until he puts up 30 points his first season and is named to the NHL's All-Rookie Team or leads the AHL in scoring before crowning him.

Closed Thread