HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Burns to Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 01:58 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
This.

Gagner, Pajaarvi and a 2nd or a prospect like Marincin. The value beats what the Sharks gave up, but I don't think it touches their needs enough to consider a move. Burns for Mr Inconsistent, a prospect and a 1st was a steal.
Not even close.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:25 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
This.

Gagner, Pajaarvi and a 2nd or a prospect like Marincin. The value beats what the Sharks gave up, but I don't think it touches their needs enough to consider a move. Burns for Mr Inconsistent, a prospect and a 1st was a steal.
If Seto is Mr Inconsistent, does that make Gagner even less consistent and Pajaarvi non-exsistent?

If you look at it at is base, SJ had to give up 3 firsts when his value is less then it is now. So no, not even close...

Old
11-16-2012, 02:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

No, it doesn't. Coyle was their best prospect by a long shot. The 1st had some value as it was a solid draft and Setoguchi was signed to a sweet deal for a young player.

Setoguchi >= Gagner

Coyle >> Pajaarvi

Phillips >> 2nd
Phillips > Marincin

If you want Burns; well...actually I really don't see anything that Edmonton could give up that they are willing to give up.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:42 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
If Seto is Mr Inconsistent, does that make Gagner even less consistent and Pajaarvi non-exsistent?

If you look at it at is base, SJ had to give up 3 firsts when his value is less then it is now. So no, not even close...
When Setoguchi was traded, his value was way up after a stellar playoff and his prospects looked good. He was also just signed to a really good contract. Coyle was, by far, the Sharks top prospect at the time and a first was included because trades of that caliber always include the first.

Gagner has basically gone back to what he usually is after that 8 point game. Pajaarvi had a seemingly down year and a 2nd is less than a first, unless you're assuming that Edmonton is once again at the bottom of the standings again then the 31st is pretty close to the 28th pick.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Oil Need a physical, puck moving Dman to replace Ryan Whitney who will likely walk (limp?) during free agency. Sharks need young players to replenish their terrible prospect pool. Both sides have something the other needs.
At the start of last year:

Our d was structured
Smid-Gilbert
Sutton-Barker
Whitney-Petry
Peckham-Potter.

we got hit with a whole bunch of injuries.

Games played by Oiler Dmen.
Smid 78GM
Petry 73GM
Potter 62GM
Peckham 54GM
Sutton 52GM
whitney 51GM
Gilbert 47GM
Barker 25GM
tuebert 24GM
N. Schultz 20 GM

By boxing day the team decide to go with DD As Starter.
NKB
Started 18 Games got a No decision in one.
17GM 1W 12L 4OTL 3.51GA

D. Dubnyk
Started 30 Games
30GM 16W 11L 3OTL 2.42GA .923 SV%

Jan. 3 Gilbert went down so we were without Gilbert, Whitney
and rolling
Smid-Petry
Peckham-potter
Sutton-Tuebert

Dubnyk
5GM 3W-2L - 0 OTL 2.35GA .929 Sv%
NKB
5GM 0W - 4L - 1OL 3.12GA .896 SV%

Whitney returned Jan 24th and we rolled
Smid-petry
Whitney-Sutton
Peckham-Potter

Dubnyk
8GM 5W - 2L - 1 OTL 2.53GA .925SV%

Gilbert Returned feb 6.
Smid-Gilbert
Barker-petry
whitney-Potter

NKB
Started 4 got a no decision in one
3GM 1W - 1L - 1OTL 3.90GA .885SV%

Dubnyk
5Gm 2W - 3L - 0 OTL 2.37GA .908SV%

Gilbert was traded to MInny for N. Schultz. on Feb 27
Smid-Petry
Whitney-N. Schultz
(Sutton/Peckham) - Potter

NKB
6GM 0W - 4L - 2 OTL 2.94GA .880SV%

D. Dubnyk
10GM 7W - 2L - 1OTL 1.86GA .938SV%

Smid was injured April 1
Schultz-Petry
Whitney - Barker
Sutton - Tuebert

Dubnyk
3GM 0W - 2L - 1 OTL 2.67GA .917SV%

I am glad we will not have Gilbert, Barker, tuebert playing major time on this team.

So while looking for d is wonderful

dubnyk was a
A .750 win% 2.16GA .932Sv% goalie with this D.
Smid-Petry
Whitney - N. schultz
Sutton/Peckham- Potter
and a

600% win% .2.35Ga .929SV% goalie
with
Smid-Petry
Peckham-potter
Sutton-Tuebert
Smid has made it clear he wants to stay in EDM.

so we are
Smid-Petry
Justin Schultz-N.schultz
Peckham/Klefbom-Potter

plus if whitney takes 3-3.5M no brainer.

COME ON! BURNS!

Last edited by oilerbear: 11-16-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
This.

What the Sharks gave up was better than that package. And the value the Sharks gave was for a possible one-year rental Burns. Now you're getting a long-term Burns with a great contract.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

I'd want Taylor Hall/Nail Yakupov and a 3rd for Burns. Even then I don't think I'd do it. Burns is a #1 Defenseman and will be one for the next 7-10 years. We need Burns a lot more than we need a 1st line winger. Defenseman are more valuable than wingers.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:15 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I'd want Taylor Hall/Nail Yakupov and a 3rd for Burns. Even then I don't think I'd do it. Burns is a #1 Defenseman and will be one for the next 7-10 years. We need Burns a lot more than we need a 1st line winger. Defenseman are more valuable than wingers.
IMO Hall/Yakupov are more valuable than Burns. Edmonton would never do a trade with either for Burns, but hypothetically SJ would add.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:47 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

Quote:
If we are trading Burns I want the other two of the big four who have actually proven something and don't have an injury history. Nothing on the Oilers is interesting besides Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle in a trade for Burns.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
He wore the C for a preseason game in Ottawa when Alfie was out. He`ll be fine in Minny unless things really go south. That`s when you have to watch out for him.
Heatley? Things couldn't have gone much more south for us last year from #1 to Heatley being the only starting top six player for a few games and our horrible finish. He worked hard every night, even at the end, playing with AHL or bottom six linemates a good chunk of the year. He's fine. Maybe matured a bit based on what other people have said but if he was going to throw some sort of tantrum or just mail it in it would have been last year for sure.

I don't care where Burnsie goes--he's going to be one of my favorite players. great guy. He's a huge puppy. (I think that's how Jacques Lemaire described him once).

Old
11-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Heatley? Things couldn't have gone much more south for us last year from #1 to Heatley being the only starting top six player for a few games and our horrible finish. He worked hard every night, even at the end, playing with AHL or bottom six linemates a good chunk of the year. He's fine. Maybe matured a bit based on what other people have said but if he was going to throw some sort of tantrum or just mail it in it would have been last year for sure.
Agreed. Even in SJ, even when taken off of the top line and thrown throughout the lineup he never complained and always worked pretty hard. From what the org, coaches and players have said he was nothing short of a model citizen in San Jose.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
You're dreaming if you think Burns would even come close to getting any of the 4 kids.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:31 PM
ponder

The Oilers have 5 really valuable pieces in RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and Schultz. After that, however, there's a pretty large drop off. If they aren't willing to trade one of those 5, I don't see them getting Burns. SJ have a very deep team in general, a lot of the spare parts that Oilers fans are offering would struggle to make the Sharks. Also, SJ have tonnes of talented forwards, if anything they might be looking to downgrade at forward to upgrade their defence and goal-tending, which is exactly what the Oilers want to do. They seem like poor trading partners.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Hall or Yakupov AND a pick? Pass it around buddy, lol.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:43 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Charlie Coyle has ten points. We've got Teemu Hartikainen, who is an average prospects who will maybe be a third liner in the NHL, who has 11 points. I can see how you value him highly (Oilers fans pump Teemu's tires whenever possible), but ultimately, both are worth about a low first at best.

Setoguchi has only hit 50 points once in 4 full seasons. The last three seasons have been 36, 41 and 36 points. Not bad, but not worth one of the big 4 either.

28th overall is indeed still a good pick, but honestly even nowadays with good scouting, it's a long shot that they will play in the NHL, and an especially long shot for them to be impact players.

If we have to give up something like Gagner, Hartikainen, Musil and a top-15 protected first round pick in 2013 for Burns, I'd do it. Or even just Gagner, Hartikainen and Klefbom.
The two are not comparable at all. Hartikainen was a 6th round pick from the 2008 draft, and this is his 3rd season in the AHL. He is a grinder with mediocre skating and mediocre skills. Coyle, on the other hand, was a 1st round pick in 2010, and his stock has only risen since then. Big kid with very good skating and a very high skill level, a Blake Wheeler kind of player. He's only just entering the AHL, and is currently tied for his team lead in goals, and 2 points off his team lead in points. Hartikainen is tied for 4th on his team in goals, and 7 points off his team lead in points. Coyle is a much better prospect, and IMO clearly worth more than a late 1st, I'm guessing you've never seen him play.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Hall or Yakupov AND a pick? Pass it around buddy, lol.
I dont care if you dont think that is fair. That is what it will take to get him out of SJ.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
This.

That value does not beat what the Sharks gave up. Gagner is at best equal to Setoguchi's value. Coyle is about equal if not slightly more valuable than Paajarvi and the 1st is better than the 2nd by a couple spots. Besides that, Burns holds more value to the Sharks than he did for Minnesota given their different states as franchises. Minnesota had a guy that may or may not have re-signed with one year left on a deal and the Sharks have a guy locked down for another five years. His value has only gone up.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Interesting....

I mean I guess it makes sense since you guys need defense more than offense but IMO if you were to trade Burns for Hall and a 3rd, you could turn around and trade Hall straight across for a better defenseman than Burns.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
That value does not beat what the Sharks gave up. Gagner is at best equal to Setoguchi's value. Coyle is about equal if not slightly more valuable than Paajarvi and the 1st is better than the 2nd by a couple spots. Besides that, Burns holds more value to the Sharks than he did for Minnesota given their different states as franchises. Minnesota had a guy that may or may not have re-signed with one year left on a deal and the Sharks have a guy locked down for another five years. His value has only gone up.
I'll admit that Setogouchi's value then was better than now, so I'll give you that one, but I don't think Coyle's value is quite at what Pajaarvi's is. That said, the post you quoted of mine already recognizes that, even if the value of that Oilers package matches up to what the Sharks gave to get Burns, the Sharks wouldn't take it.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Also, SJ have tonnes of talented forwards, if anything they might be looking to downgrade at forward to upgrade their defence and goal-tending,
No, this is completely not the case.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:52 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Also, SJ have tonnes of talented forwards, if anything they might be looking to downgrade at forward to upgrade their defence and goal-tending, which is exactly what the Oilers want to do. They seem like poor trading partners.
Nope. The Sharks are content with their goaltending, and their defense has a solid future with Burns, Vlasic, Demers, and Braun. Their problem is forward depth.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:36 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolonMoreau View Post
If we are trading Burns I want the other two of the big four who have actually proven something and don't have an injury history. Nothing on the Oilers is interesting besides Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle in a trade for Burns.
I wouldn't trade Burns for Eberle. Nugent-Hopkins or Hall, that's the only think I'd do.

I'm very happy with how our defense is coming along. Even after Boyle's done, we have a legit top-pairing in Vlasic and Burns, and Demers and Braun are both going to be #4 guys I think. Take Burns away, and that looks gross.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:50 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I wouldn't trade Burns for Eberle. Nugent-Hopkins or Hall, that's the only think I'd do.
Me neither thank god we're on the same page.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Me neither thank god we're on the same page.
Well I'm glad you see it'd have to be one of Hall of Nugent-Hopkins for Burns.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
but I don't think Coyle's value is quite at what Pajaarvi's is.
Why? Pajaarvi hasn't proven squat and I wouldn't be surprised if he is nothing more than a 3rd liner.

Closed Thread