HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 09:41 PM
JKP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Is anyone else fed up to the point where they want to show the NHL that fans care? IF the lockout isn't resolved soon I really don't want to spend a single dollar going to a game next year, and this is coming from a guy that went to 15 games last season. I'm just sick and tired of them pushing the fans around like this.
Yes you will. We all will. That's why this is happening, because they know we'll be back. You feel like this now, but once the pucks drop and the zamboni's rumble, you'll be back. We all will...

Old
11-12-2012, 03:47 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Yes you will. We all will. That's why this is happening, because they know we'll be back. You feel like this now, but once the pucks drop and the zamboni's rumble, you'll be back. We all will...
I'm not buying tickets to one game. Not for a while. Maybe I'll get the urge again, but I bet prices will shoot up by then as they fight over dollars to control costs and manage to inflate salaries again, inflate ticket prices again and screw the entire point up again.

But not one dime from me for a long time.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
No. We ALL won't. Speak for yourself.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
No. We ALL won't. Speak for yourself.
I tend to agree with JKP. 90% of the people who say they wont return will return. The ones on a hockey msg board i would be willing to say 99% will return. Its understandable to be upset about whats going on here. However if you checking a msg board about hockey you are still wanting to see hockey played and will come back.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'm not buying tickets to one game. Not for a while. Maybe I'll get the urge again, but I bet prices will shoot up by then as they fight over dollars to control costs and manage to inflate salaries again, inflate ticket prices again and screw the entire point up again.

I feel the same way.

I plan out holding out from putting a dime in the owner's pockets as long as I can.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:49 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:

Interesting - I feel the same way. I know they care about every game lost now, but it doesn't seem that way.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 11-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 09:25 AM
JKP

Quote:

Ticket prices have no relationship to salaries. They charge the max they can get away with and that the market will bear regardless of salary structure.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
No, if they have a problem with it, it's either (i) bull**** or (ii) because the memo asserted falsehoods. If it is the latter, you can bet on a specific NHL response through the media.
Apparently, the memo did have some "falsehoods" but the general point was made and I think it's hurt negotiations.

But this is just another step in the drawn-out process that will shift some money from rich group "A" to rich group "B" while hurting the overall brand.

It's funny to me how some of the recent ex-players see things. I heard Mike Johnson and Jamie McLennan specifically discussing Fehr's strategic leak to TSN and then jumping to how unfair the owners are being to the players. How they are taking away players rights and contracts - you can totally see why the players have such a hate for the owners. They almost see it as the owners stealing from them.

I find it troubling that Bettman cannot seem to make a deal unless it involves a lockout. I'll get you the deal you want as long as you allow me to hold my breath as long as possible, because they will cave. And although he's right, it still feels wrong.

Quote:
I have no idea how "common" this behaviour is in labour negotiations and certainly, the media does add a lot of drama to any public labour disruption, but these guys seem to be unable to make progress to save themselves.

I wish there was a way of clearly articulating how much damage they are doing to the NHL brand and limiting its growth in non-hockey markets, in converting fringe fans that have shown some interest over the past few years.

As long as revenues continue to climb and costs are in control, most of the owners won't really care. But Gary should as he is the keeper of the brand.

Now, back to work.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Ticket prices have no relationship to salaries. They charge the max they can get away with and that the market will bear regardless of salary structure.
{MOD EDIT}

Only one problem: league revenues dictate based upon agreed percentages what the cap limits will be. So....sorry, incorrect.

But correct in that TML will charge double what NYI will because they can. Regardless, my money won't go to pay for a 15 year phenom or to redecorate Charlie's bidet.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-13-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old
11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
{MOD EDIT}

Only one problem: league revenues dictate based upon agreed percentages what the cap limits will be. So....sorry, incorrect.

But correct in that TML will charge double what NYI will because they can. Regardless, my money won't go to pay for a 15 year phenom or to redecorate Charlie's bidet.
I don't know what the numbers are, but I'm curious what the ticket prices were pre-post each lockout, league-wide. Maybe I'll google it.

I remember reading that it was cheaper to fly to Tampa and watch a Lightning game, than go to a Leafs game, which is pretty astounding.

I wonder how much the non-hockey-markets struggle for gate receipts and have to lower prices, add a bunch of incentives like free parking or free games in order to sell tickets...and how they are impacted when there's a work stoppage.

I imagine this is a relatively small percentage of overall league revenues so it's probably not that much of an impact.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-13-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I don't know what the numbers are, but I'm curious what the ticket prices were pre-post each lockout, league-wide. Maybe I'll google it.

I remember reading that it was cheaper to fly to Tampa and watch a Lightning game, than go to a Leafs game, which is pretty astounding.

I wonder how much the non-hockey-markets struggle for gate receipts and have to lower prices, add a bunch of incentives like free parking or free games in order to sell tickets...and how they are impacted when there's a work stoppage.

I imagine this is a relatively small percentage of overall league revenues so it's probably not that much of an impact.
It is most likely Cheaper to still fly to tampa and see a game. You can fly down there usually for about 80 bucks. Then get good seats for 10 Bucks.
I never been to a leaf game so i am not sure what there seats cost. However i assume there are at least 125 for a decent non nosebleed

Old
11-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I want hockey!!!

11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I want hockey!!!

there is plenty of hockey to be watched accoring the guys on the radio. Sadly we do not live in CA. so no nhl means no hockey

Old
11-14-2012, 12:58 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
It is most likely Cheaper to still fly to tampa and see a game. You can fly down there usually for about 80 bucks. Then get good seats for 10 Bucks.
I never been to a leaf game so i am not sure what there seats cost. However i assume there are at least 125 for a decent non nosebleed
You're not getting from Toronto to Tampa for $80.

But it is probably cheaper anyway.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...ooper-nhl.html

Old
11-16-2012, 02:19 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Oh well, it is what it is. Just a game of chicken now.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:41 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Oh well, it is what it is. Just a game of chicken now.
following the arm wrestling competition, gary and donald will be held underwater until one of them surrenders. points will be awarded accordingly as we work towards an agreement.

what a joke

the public posturing and the pathetic use of media and general whiny attitudes is sickening.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

So I have vowed to not to buy one single NHL product this holiday season so long as the lock out continues. Too bad we can't get everyone to do this.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
So I have vowed to not to buy one single NHL product this holiday season so long as the lock out continues. Too bad we can't get everyone to do this.
I'm with you on that not one penny.. A lot of my winter clothes are made up of a ton of NHL gear and I feel dirty wearing it out in public.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Off topic, but....

If you could buy only American made goods this X-mas, that would help us all. Unfortunately it means no NHL gear, plasma TV's, many electronics and so on, but it would help.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
The thing about choices is that the ones that are good for you aren't necessarily good for other people.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The thing about choices is that the ones that are good for you aren't necessarily good for other people.
While I understand that, the players, owners, and the league as a whole are shafting the fans everyday this lockout continues. A bunch of grown men crying over millions when people around the world are suffering. Therefore I will do my talking with my money.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Off topic, but....

If you could buy only American made goods this X-mas, that would help us all. Unfortunately it means no NHL gear, plasma TV's, many electronics and so on, but it would help.
I usually try to buy local to support businesses where I live. Unfortunately some gifts are only able to be bought from companies who don't necessarily make the entire product here in the US.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
dcv2002

Yes. I feel honored today. I was blocked by Matt Moulson on twitter. Way to treat your fans. He was rationalizing calling Bettman and idiot because the lockout is idiotic. So it's OK for players to call Bettmann an idiot.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:54 AM
JKP

Quote:
I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority, but I have just come to accept these stoppages as part of the big league package. I really don't care that they aren't playing right now and I'll be happy to watch again when they get it figured out. I'll still get my kids some Isles stuff for Christmas because they like the team and like to wear the logo.

At the end of the day, I don't care enough about their fight to muster the energy to get angry. Being angry takes energy, I'd rather use the energy elsewhere.

Maybe because I have other options (like the Mooseheads with MacKinnon and Drouin, the 6+ times a week I'm in the rink with my kids, the night I play in my beer league, the great university hockey in town), but I'm happy to wait until the NHL and players get their crap sorted out and I don't feel any real animosity to boycott or anything.

Solve your crap and let me know when you're done.

Closed Thread