HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke was so High on the Jays Trade, could he do the same?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Burke was so High on the Jays Trade, could he do the same?

I was listening to Burke yesterday on the radio, and he seemed so excited about the bold trade AA pulled off this week.

The Jays very significantly added to their payroll. While there's no cap in baseball, Burke are been very quiet in terms of going after the big names and handing out massive contracts. With the Leafs looking at a great cap situation going into next summer, could he finally be bold and go after the top UFA's? The Leafs have more than enough money to offer massive signing bonuses to the top UFA's to give them the best contract offers.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:10 PM
MastuhNinks

Of course he could if the deal is there and if he thinks it would make the team better, but I wouldn't think that the Blue Jays trade has any effect on the likelihood of a blockbuster trade involving the Leafs.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:12 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Trades like that can't happen in hockey. Too much salary from one side.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Trades like that can't happen in hockey. Too much salary from one side.
It doesn't necessarily have to do with a trade, but just acquiring top flight talent. With a few guys coming off the books next year, they have the cap space to either sign quality players or acquire them in a trade.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:17 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Didn't Burke already make a major trade when he got Dion Phaneuf? Toronto still gave up 4 roster players and aquired 3 in return from Calgary, so by the NHL standards we know today with the salary cap that's a major trade.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:20 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
It doesn't necessarily have to do with a trade, but just acquiring top flight talent. With a few guys coming off the books next year, they have the cap space to either sign quality players or acquire them in a trade.
Exactly. I didn't mean it would be a 12 player deal, just opening up the wallet more in terms of trying to sign the best players. There's really no excuse given their wealth and cap situation.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:23 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I was listening to Burke yesterday on the radio, and he seemed so excited about the bold trade AA pulled off this week.

The Jays very significantly added to their payroll. While there's no cap in baseball, Burke are been very quiet in terms of going after the big names and handing out massive contracts. With the Leafs looking at a great cap situation going into next summer, could he finally be bold and go after the top UFA's? The Leafs have more than enough money to offer massive signing bonuses to the top UFA's to give them the best contract offers.
Since it's been established that the huge signing bonuses and massive contracts are based around cap circumvention and are generally very bad for the game of hockey, I doubt it very much.

That's without taking into account that the new CBA is being designed to put a stop to those types of contracts, and the NHL is also planning on hammering punishment to the teams that benefitted from those contracts.

Burke has steadfastly maintained a position that they are not contracts based around the original intentions of the salary cap and the now-expired CBA, and consequently has repeatedly stated he wants no part of them.

I'm purely speculating here, but there is no way he starts signing players to those types of deals, or whatever loop-hole based contracts the new CBA engenders.

That's not to say he won't go after key UFA players, but he won't engage them with unethical contracts. But he's made bids on stars every year. He made competitive offers on Rick Nash, he offered the highest value contract to Brad Richards. It's not like he sits pat on his rump but there are 31 other GMs out there and without a team that competes for the Cup, it doesn't matter how great the offer is. Nor does it matter who the GM is making the offer.

Until Burke digs himself out of the hole he was placed in, it will be a tough sell luring top UFAs. Period.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Exactly. I didn't mean it would be a 12 player deal, just opening up the wallet more in terms of trying to sign the best players. There's really no excuse given their wealth and cap situation.
Burke offered Brad Richards the most money out of any other offer on the table. Brad Richards took less money to play with the Rangers because they were looking good to compete for the Cup and the Leafs weren't.

The Leafs weren't a playoff team when Burke took over, and he hasn't been able yet to make them a contender since taking over, which makes it extremely hard to lure in top UFAs.

Burke does, however, have a solid history of being able to bring in top level UFA talent when he IS governing a contender, and as soon as he gets the Leafs onto the plane, he'll look like a wizard with his ability to fetch top names.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Burke offered Brad Richards the most money out of any other offer on the table. Brad Richards took less money to play with the Rangers because they were looking good to compete for the Cup and the Leafs weren't.

The Leafs weren't a playoff team when Burke took over, and he hasn't been able yet to make them a contender since taking over, which makes it extremely hard to lure in top UFAs.

Burke does, however, have a solid history of being able to bring in top level UFA talent when he IS governing a contender, and as soon as he gets the Leafs onto the plane, he'll look like a wizard with his ability to fetch top names.
This is not true.

If you offer free agents the most money, they will come. Minnesota just signed the two biggest free agents.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:38 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
I always felt Burke was/would trying to make the team better, add talent. I don't think the Jays have any affect on this.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Since it's been established that the huge signing bonuses and massive contracts are based around cap circumvention and are generally very bad for the game of hockey, I doubt it very much.

That's without taking into account that the new CBA is being designed to put a stop to those types of contracts, and the NHL is also planning on hammering punishment to the teams that benefitted from those contracts.

Burke has steadfastly maintained a position that they are not contracts based around the original intentions of the salary cap and the now-expired CBA, and consequently has repeatedly stated he wants no part of them.

I'm purely speculating here, but there is no way he starts signing players to those types of deals, or whatever loop-hole based contracts the new CBA engenders.

That's not to say he won't go after key UFA players, but he won't engage them with unethical contracts. But he's made bids on stars every year. He made competitive offers on Rick Nash, he offered the highest value contract to Brad Richards. It's not like he sits pat on his rump but there are 31 other GMs out there and without a team that competes for the Cup, it doesn't matter how great the offer is. Nor does it matter who the GM is making the offer.

Until Burke digs himself out of the hole he was placed in, it will be a tough sell luring top UFAs. Period.
Yet he's about to get Luongo, right.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
This is not true.

If you offer free agents the most money, they will come. Minnesota just signed the two biggest free agents.
Did they actually offer the most?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:43 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Did they actually offer the most?
Suter/Parise did not give Minnesota any hometown discount at all. They did get the best deal. (And that's including the guanteed signing bonuses they're getting this year for not playing).

And the Rangers deal to Richards was at least 3 or 4 years longer than the Burke offer.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Suter/Parise did not give Minnesota any hometown discount at all. They did get the best deal. (And that's including the guanteed signing bonuses they're getting this year for not playing).

And the Rangers deal to Richards was at least 3 or 4 years longer than the Burke offer.
I realize they signed for huge money but is it a fact that it was the biggest offer or an assumption?

I'm just curious, I don't recall hearing any other offers.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I realize they signed for huge money but is it a fact that it was the biggest offer or an assumption?

I'm just curious, I don't recall hearing any other offers.
It's my understanding it was the most. Certainly by far the most for both to play together.

There's perception they took less to play at home. Look at that deal and the signing bonuses, they did not give Minnesota any discount whatsoever.

If Burke meets Getzzlaf and Perry on July 1st in a private jet with identical 120 million offers with massive signing bonusses, you think they laugh at him because it's the Leafs? Of course not. Their agents will be on cloud 9.

Burke is not going after the top free agents. There's no attempt. Now that the cap room is there, it's time to go for it. (And if they miss the season, they'll likely draft a franchise C to get with the franchise D they just drafted.)

Old
11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
If anyone would or could do it, it would be Burke.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:56 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
It's my understanding it was the most. Certainly by far the most for both to play together.

There's perception they took less to play at home. Look at that deal and the signing bonuses, they did not give Minnesota any discount whatsoever.

If Burke meets Getzzlaf and Perry on July 1st in a private jet with identical 120 million offers with massive signing bonusses, you think they laugh at him because it's the Leafs? Of course not. Their agents will be on cloud 9.

Burke is not going after the top free agents. There's no attempt. Now that the cap room is there, it's time to go for it. (And if they miss the season, they'll likely draft a franchise C to get with the franchise D they just drafted.)
I agree with that. If Perry and Getzlaf make it to UFA they should be offered whatever it takes.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:08 PM
leugangen

Quote:

He offered Richards the highest average salary, but not the most money: New York was willing to frontload the deal.

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Federko

AA and the Jays just re-confirmed that you gotta spend money to win. Not only that - you gotta work with players on length/term of contract. Some dumb self-imposed won't sign anyone if they want 5, 6 , years won't get those top flight players sign with your club. Burke needs to stop spinning his wheels and do something when the time is right... There is absolutely no excuse for the current state of our goaltending. He let Toskala play when he knew he wasen't the guy.... he took a chance on Reimer based on 20 games from a previous season--where no team really had any scouting on him.... That's the equivalent to the Jays going with the same pitching staff they had last year. It doesn't work - FIX IT. Took AA one year.... what's Burke's excuse now? Time to man up Burkie - we all wanna see you succeed but if you spin your wheels for another year ...see ya later.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Burke offered Brad Richards the most money out of any other offer on the table.
I could most certainly be wrong, but I remember hearing something about the Flames offering big bucks to Richards. Not sure if they offered the most AAV or Toronto.

Quote:
I always felt Burke was/would trying to make the team better, add talent. I don't think the Jays have any affect on this.
No doubt I see it too, but it's more of making that big splash to provoke fear from those other teams in the division. Like say, signing a Getzlaf or a Perry.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
AA and the Jays just re-confirmed that you gotta spend money to win. Not only that - you gotta work with players on length/term of contract. Some dumb self-imposed won't sign anyone if they want 5, 6 , years won't get those top flight players sign with your club. Burke needs to stop spinning his wheels and do something when the time is right... There is absolutely no excuse for the current state of our goaltending. He let Toskala play when he knew he wasen't the guy.... he took a chance on Reimer based on 20 games from a previous season--where no team really had any scouting on him.... That's the equivalent to the Jays going with the same pitching staff they had last year. It doesn't work - FIX IT. Took AA one year.... what's Burke's excuse now? Time to man up Burkie - we all wanna see you succeed but if you spin your wheels for another year ...see ya later.
The one difference is in MLB they don't have a salary cap and in the NHL Brian Burke wants to make UFA signings that make sense for the future because he can't spend whatever he wants.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

Of course he is, he's just not dumb enough to give 26+ year olds a 14 year contract.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

it's against Burke's "code" to get high paid talent

it's also against his code to keep draft picks, so leafs fans, dont get your hopes up

Sokil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Of course he is, he's just not dumb enough to give 26+ year olds a 14 year contract.
dumb because it'll make the team better?

Sokil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
One year to what?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote