HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone else disappointed in Marco Scandella?

Old
11-16-2012, 02:55 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Is anyone else disappointed in Marco Scandella?

10 GP, 0 goals, 9 assists and a -1

While stats don't show the entire story, it seems that when Brodin went down, the defense died with him. Instead of stepping up, our defense has lazily stepped aside. It doesn't help our goaltenders also seem not to care but Scandella was one of the guys I thought would have stepped up. He played almost an entire year in the NHL and is a seasoned vet by now. For a guy that is suppose to be a top 4 defenseman, he hasn't shown it in the AHL.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Heather linked up an article asking what was up with Scandy, is he hurt or not giving 100%, etc. If it's the former it will get worked out and if it's the latter he'll get a kick in the butt. So not really concerned. I'm much more interested in Dumba and Brodin because those guys could be elite. Scandy could be just a solid #4 guy behind them and Suter.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Scoutguy77

No, I think he has been playing well !

Scoutguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Injuries happen.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Jbcraig1883

Absolutely not. I suggest you watch some of his games instead of just looking at stats.

He has had one rough game (unless you just make decisions based on points and +/-) since returning. Before the injury, he manhandled people along the boards, got his heavy shot off on net, and made great pokechecks. Did Brodin make him better? Absolutely. But if you watched those games, you would know he was as important as Brodin was. Brodin is much better at starting transition and the breakout...but Scandella was every bit as good defensively and was better on the PP.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I really really don't understand how that stat line is supposed to be a criticism. Those 9 points are good for 12th in the entire league amongst defensemen, and he's only played 10 games because of injuries. There's only 5 defensemen who have managed point per game in the entire AHL. Here's the list of defensemen with at least 8 games played who exceed Scandella's PPG pace:

Justin Schultz - 1.38
Justin Faulk - 1.27
T.J. Brennan - 1.00
Sami Vatanen - 1.00
Chad Billins - 0.92
Mike Kostka - 0.92
Garrett Stafford - 0.92
Marco Scandella - 0.90

If you want to comment on Scandella's defensive play, maybe you can find something to go on (I haven't seen enough Aeros games to say either way). But if you're upset about his production, you're not really making a coherent argument. Hell, he's outscoring (PPG-wise) last year's second highest scoring defenseman (Brian Connelly).

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Scoutguy77

Stats at times can be a bit misleading as we all know. Some guys play alot of PP, play with elite players while others sometimes dont get the same opportunities initially. In Scandys case, I just think he has been very good, stats aside, which coicidentially are also very good.
I prefer to watch the games closely and form my opinions based on what I see.

Scoutguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I really really don't understand how that stat line is supposed to be a criticism. Those 9 points are good for 12th in the entire league amongst defensemen, and he's only played 10 games because of injuries. There's only 5 defensemen who have managed point per game in the entire AHL. Here's the list of defensemen with at least 8 games played who exceed Scandella's PPG pace:

Justin Schultz - 1.38
Justin Faulk - 1.27
T.J. Brennan - 1.00
Sami Vatanen - 1.00
Chad Billins - 0.92
Mike Kostka - 0.92
Garrett Stafford - 0.92
Marco Scandella - 0.90

If you want to comment on Scandella's defensive play, maybe you can find something to go on (I haven't seen enough Aeros games to say either way). But if you're upset about his production, you're not really making a coherent argument. Hell, he's outscoring (PPG-wise) last year's second highest scoring defenseman (Brian Connelly).
Yeah...if its defensive problems, then I'm worried...but if its stats problems, I am more than happy because Scandella is really mainly a defensive defenseman and scoring at a .90 pace is more than I can hope for.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:24 PM
P10p

Scandy looked solid in every game up until the injury. He has looked a little shaky since returning but its only been a few games and the whole defence has been slouching without Brodin.

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
not disappointed. I didn't really think as much of him to start with as a lot of people (i mean, there was talk of him being a #2 defenseman for godsake). On the contrary, I actually like what I see from him most of the time and think he could be a #3 D on a weak team or #4 on a decent team. I was a little more pessimistic last year. I haven't really been concentrating on him though so i could be missing something.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Scandella's looked great. Stats are dumb.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Just one bad game. No need to call for a lynch mob.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:20 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Just one bad game. No need to call for a lynch mob.
Not just one bad game. I'm going to take a better look at him at the next Stars game.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:57 AM
forthewild

stats only paint part of the picture, scandella was tearing it up before the injury, however it does take time to come back from missing game, to get into the groove back.

also he has to carry a heavier load now that both granlund and brodin are out, you can't just look at one game or his stat line and have a solid outlook on a prospect.

also last year scandella looked great after he got called up towards the end of the year, he played with more confidence and played better wasn't trying to do everything. i still think he'll round out our top 4 and be a fine dman.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Not just one bad game. I'm going to take a better look at him at the next Stars game.
For the most part, yes. And he was absolutely horrid in that one game.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Via Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:
Two years ago, Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford explained his belief that you cannot truly judge a defenceman until he turns 24. Rutherford says it's the hardest pro position to learn. While in special cases some become early superstars, you can find a diamond in the rough by waiting a little.
By this rule, Scandy has two years to figure it out. I'd say he's shown enough upside to still bet on an NHL career. I'd also say kids who jump in and are great young like Doughty and Karlsson are more exceptions than the rule.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Via Elliotte Friedman:

By this rule, Scandy has two years to figure it out. I'd say he's shown enough upside to still bet on an NHL career. I'd also say kids who jump in and are great young like Doughty and Karlsson are more exceptions than the rule.
Everyone dreams of a Doughty and Karlsson on draft day, and everyone's memory seems to just be 2-3 drafts deep. But most defensemen are (as you say) longer term projects than that. Just to give some examples from players I randomly picked off the top of my head:

Tom Gilbert - First NHL season (ignoring his 12 game stint) at 24
Hal Gill - First NHL season at 22
Zdeno Chara - Had a partial season at 21-22, first 60+ NHL game season at 22-23
Brian Rafalski - First NHL season at 26
Marek Zidlicky - First NHL season at 26
Duncan Keith - First NHL season at 22
Matt Carle - First NHL season at 22
Dan Boyle - First 60+ NHL game season at 24

To put that in perspective, Scandella's first 60+ game season was at age 21. I'm sure all sorts of people would love to have a player like Keith on our team, but how would you have felt about him in 2006 after he went 9-12-21 with a -11 in 81 games? I don't expect Scandella to be as good as Duncan Keith, but he's not meaningfully behind him statistically or timing-wise in his development.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:58 AM
nickschultzfan

God no. Scandella is going to be a good Dman for us. He already has been. Other posters have talked about how Dmen take a while to become true NHL Dmen.

That said, I think it's important to point out Scandella's "special place" in the Wild's prospect pool. With the 1st round busting of Cuma, Sheppard, Gillies, Thelen, Pouliot, and 2nd round busting of Voloshenko, Kassian, and Fiala, and the trading of Leddy, Scandella was the only high pick with any promising for the Wild in the 6 year period of 2004-2009. Think about that for a second. Scandella was the only 1st or 2nd round pick with any promise for us coming out of that dark time.

That means there is a lot of pressure on Scandella to be awesome.. He's the only one from the pre-Fletcher period with elite potential. And accordingly, people have unreasonable expectations for Scandella.

In reality, Scandella has been progressing quite well and perfectly in line with what should be expected. He'll need 1-3 seasons more to get up to his potential, but he's moving along decently (aside from his injury set-backs).

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't say Scandella has elite potential but he still has the upside to be a #2/3 guy IMO.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
I wouldn't say Scandella has elite potential but he still has the upside to be a #2/3 guy IMO.
Could have said "bluechip" or whatever. Point is that Scandella has 6 years of failed drafting on his shoulders.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think there's that much pressure on him. He's always going to have the "pleasant surprise" tag as he was a 2nd round pick.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I don't think there's that much pressure on him. He's always going to have the "pleasant surprise" tag as he was a 2nd round pick.
After the things said last season while he was doing well (and then into when he went back down to the AHL post-injury) I think there's a lot of pressure on him. With Suter, Brodin, and Dumba on the list I think the pressure both reduced and increased for him.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Suter, Spurgeon, and Gilbert will pressure him short-term and Dumba and Brodin long-term.

He's got more time and breathing room to develop now but he will have to show he can play a consistently good game at the NHL level next year IMO. Otherwise he could get lost in the depth chart.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
I was never impressed with him in the first place. He's showing improvement though so it's a start.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

no, last nights game vs rockford at the Xcel, he looked great

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote