HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke was so High on the Jays Trade, could he do the same?

Old
11-16-2012, 04:21 PM
The Blue Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
it's against Burke's "code" to get high paid talent

it's also against his code to keep draft picks, so leafs fans, dont get your hopes up
It's such a shame that he traded the 5th overall last year, the 25th and 23rd the year before. We could've picked up some pretty good prospects. Stupid Bourke, what a Block Head!

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:21 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
dumb because it'll make the team better?
How so?

Old
11-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
How so?
your problem seems to be how the player will be a decade from now, not from what an all star player in his prime would bring to the team

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
it's against Burke's "code" to get high paid talent

it's also against his code to keep draft picks, so leafs fans, dont get your hopes up
So you think paying Brad Richards until he's 40 with a 6.6 million dollar cap hit is smart?

By doing that you basically take your self out of the race to sign any good center who becomes available in that time span.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:32 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

you think he has a package deal ready for Getzlaf Ryan and Hiller ?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
So you think paying Brad Richards until he's 40 with a 6.6 million dollar cap hit is smart?

By doing that you basically take your self out of the race to sign any good center who becomes available in that time span.
last i checked the rangers make the playoffs and have no problem signing talent when it arises (gaborik, richards, now nash, etc.). [/whatever your point was]

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

He was probably just as high when he made the Kessel trade

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
your problem seems to be how the player will be a decade from now, not from what an all star player in his prime would bring to the team
No, my problem has to do with injuries. What if he gets injured a short way through his big ass 14 year contract? What happens if he's never the same after said injury? You now have a pretty untradable player making 6.6mil+ for the next 14 years. Now you're wasting money on said player and can't really afford another big name player to replace him because of the contract.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:58 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I was listening to Burke yesterday on the radio, and he seemed so excited about the bold trade AA pulled off this week.

The Jays very significantly added to their payroll. While there's no cap in baseball, Burke are been very quiet in terms of going after the big names and handing out massive contracts. With the Leafs looking at a great cap situation going into next summer, could he finally be bold and go after the top UFA's? The Leafs have more than enough money to offer massive signing bonuses to the top UFA's to give them the best contract offers.
Not with a Salary Cap.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Federko

Quote:
One year to what?
Do I really have to spell it out for you? Man, I love Burke-ites.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Federko

Quote:
It's such a shame that he traded the 5th overall last year, the 25th and 23rd the year before. We could've picked up some pretty good prospects. Stupid Bourke, what a Block Head!
It's Burke not Bourke. Spell his name correctly! Your credibility fades when you can't even spell his name right.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Federko

Quote:

The poster didn't mention Richards anywhere. Are you looking to start an argument? His post was very accurate. Next!

Old
11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Federko

Quote:
No, my problem has to do with injuries. What if he gets injured a short way through his big ass 14 year contract? What happens if he's never the same after said injury? You now have a pretty untradable player making 6.6mil+ for the next 14 years. Now you're wasting money on said player and can't really afford another big name player to replace him because of the contract.
If you're talking about Richards (for example) he had an unreal PLAYOFF RUN for the Rangers last year. He plays when it counts. Do you remember what that feels like? Do you remember 2004?

Old
11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
The poster didn't mention Richards anywhere. Are you looking to start an argument? His post was very accurate. Next!
Well he was mentioned on the previous page, And is the most recent case of people's criticism of Burke not shelling out the dough or term like the Rangers.

Which when you think about it was actually a smart cause paying someone that kind of money until 40 with that cap hit isn't smart, Sorry.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Federko

Quote:
Well he was mentioned on the previous page, And is the most recent case of people's criticism of Burke not shelling out the dough or term like the Rangers.

Which when you think about it was actually a smart cause paying someone that kind of money until 40 with that cap hit isn't smart, Sorry.
Richards isin't just anyone. He would bring a massive leadership value to the club when he was past his prime. Just like how I wish we would have kept Gilmour until he retired. Natural born leader. It's what great teams have. But I guess Leaf fans have been loosing for so long they're all looking for a magic bullet through prospects and youth now.... news flash: youth/prospects won't win you the cup anytime soon. we are talking about the stanley cup correct?

and i'm not saying we don't need youth - we do..but not playing full-time on our NHL squad if we expect to win the stanley cup.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Richards isin't just anyone. He would bring a massive leadership value to the club when he was past his prime. Just like how I wish we would have kept Gilmour until he retired. Natural born leader. It's what great teams have. But I guess Leaf fans have been loosing for so long they're all looking for a magic bullet through prospects and youth now.... news flash: youth/prospects won't win you the cup anytime soon. we are talking about the stanley cup correct?

and i'm not saying we don't need youth - we do..but not playing full-time on our NHL squad if we expect to win the stanley cup.
I'll agree with you he's a good player, But that's about it

Old
11-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I was listening to Burke yesterday on the radio, and he seemed so excited about the bold trade AA pulled off this week.

The Jays very significantly added to their payroll. While there's no cap in baseball, Burke are been very quiet in terms of going after the big names and handing out massive contracts. With the Leafs looking at a great cap situation going into next summer, could he finally be bold and go after the top UFA's? The Leafs have more than enough money to offer massive signing bonuses to the top UFA's to give them the best contract offers.
When have you known Burke to be afraid of making the big bold move?

Burke has spent to the cap every single year he has been here.

Richards was heavily rumoured to be going to New York for a number of reasons (Torts, liked the city, etc.) and to me it seems he was only using Calgary and Toronto to drive up his asking price. Burke did offer him a very generous contract but one that made sense for the Leafs. The Richards deal looked good this past season but it has 5 more significant paying years on it which will take him to 37 years of age then 3 retirement years. There is a high chance his play heavily declines to the point where he is heavily overpaid during the high salary years.

There is also the factor of the new CBA not being figured out.

Suter and Parise were also heavily rumoured to be going back to their home state of Minny along. What makes you think they'd have come to Toronto? You can't honestly have expected Burke to top the contract they received.

Burke also was heavily rumoured to have offered Brodeur the most money on a 2 year deal last off-season.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 11-16-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Do I really have to spell it out for you? Man, I love Burke-ites.
Clearly, I really want to know what he did in 1 year!?

Old
11-16-2012, 05:56 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
It's Burke not Bourke. Spell his name correctly! Your credibility fades when you can't even spell his name right.
You're adorable!

Old
11-16-2012, 05:56 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
If you're talking about Richards (for example) he had an unreal PLAYOFF RUN for the Rangers last year. He plays when it counts. Do you remember what that feels like? Do you remember 2004?
No, I'm talking in general.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

If I recall correctly, Gilmour wanted out. Kinda hard to keep players who don't want to be here.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Federko

Quote:
I'll agree with you he's a good player, But that's about it
It's cool. Don't worry... Decide not to spend the money on someone like Richards until they turn 40 (which is the standard)... someone like the Rangers will and have deep playoff runs at the very least.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Federko

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Gilmour wanted out. Kinda hard to keep players who don't want to be here.
Do you have any proof Gilmour wanted out? Hahaha. Now you are just reaching. If he really wanted out... why was he beyond stoked to come back?

Old
11-16-2012, 06:32 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Do you have any proof Gilmour wanted out? Hahaha. Now you are just reaching. If he really wanted out... why was he beyond stoked to come back?
Gilmour did ask for a trade out of Toronto.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
When have you known Burke to be afraid of making the big bold move?

Burke has spent to the cap every single year he has been here.

Richards was heavily rumoured to be going to New York for a number of reasons (Torts, liked the city, etc.) and to me it seems he was only using Calgary and Toronto to drive up his asking price. Burke did offer him a very generous contract but one that made sense for the Leafs. The Richards deal looked good this past season but it has 5 more significant paying years on it which will take him to 37 years of age then 3 retirement years. There is a high chance his play heavily declines to the point where he is heavily overpaid during the high salary years.

There is also the factor of the new CBA not being figured out.

Suter and Parise were also heavily rumoured to be going back to their home state of Minny along. What makes you think they'd have come to Toronto? You can't honestly have expected Burke to top the contract they received.

Burke also was heavily rumoured to have offered Brodeur the most money on a 2 year deal last off-season.
Yeah, on tier 2 and 3 free agents. He's afraid of making the big financial deal.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote