HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
11-16-2012, 04:37 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Just compare the experience of going to an Impact game at the Big O vs Saputo Stadium. It's much nicer being outside than in that huge closed toilet bowl.
Pretty much this. Both stadiums are located right next to each other but the experience is totally different.

Obviously downtown is better as it's much easier to access for more people but an open-air stadium would be a great start and a great atmosphere.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Pretty much this. Both stadiums are located right next to each other but the experience is totally different.

Obviously downtown is better as it's much easier to access for more people but an open-air stadium would be a great start and a great atmosphere.
A lot easier to access it downtown, the Impact mostly play on weekends and it makes it easy for people to get there. The Expos with the amount of games and series that can be played on Monday's-Tuesday's etc wouldn't be as great especially for the walk ins

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
A lot easier to access it downtown, the Impact mostly play on weekends and it makes it easy for people to get there. The Expos with the amount of games and series that can be played on Monday's-Tuesday's etc wouldn't be as great especially for the walk ins
Agreed but I agree with you on experience.

I went to an Impact game at the Big O last April and it was ''alright'' even though they won their first ever MLS game. Two months later I went to the first game at Saputo Stadium and fell in love with the game and atmosphere. It's totally different.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
although i've only lived in montreal for a year for my studies - and that was a bazillion years ago. someone from montreal needs to explain why all that complaining about the olympic stadium. it's not downtown? i used to lived on du fort, near the old forum and i went to many expos games - no hassle! so what would be downtown exactly?

seriously, i never understood that "build a stadium downtown" stuff... someone enlighten me
In today's sports, corporate money is crucial. Expensive tickets, etc.

These guys are mostly downtown and want to walk there or be close and in the action. Most pro teams with their arena/stadium far from their downtown is struggling in that department, therefore struggling financially.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:13 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
A downtown stadium would be better for a few reasons.

1. Accessible for people who are not taking the metro. Not everyone wants to pile into a packed subway car to go see a ballgame. Many people would rather drive there and park their car somewhere safe. That was hardly an option at Olympic Stadium.

2. Walk-ins. If someone is walking around downtown in the summer, and see the stadium, they'd feel more inclined to go to the game, rather than going way out of their way to the east end to see a game, and then come back afterwards. People would like to just go to the bar for a few beers, check out the game, and then head back to the bar, head back home, etc. Olympic Stadium is out of the way.

3. This is more about the stadium itself than it's location, but the place was just an ugly dump. You'd be surrounded by bright yellow seats, and a roof that looked like it was being held up by duct tape. A new ballpark, where you could actually see the Montreal sky, would have really made the experience of baseball way better. I've seen games at Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, Skydome (and soon to visit all three parks in Southern California), and nothing beats sitting outdoors, drinking a cold beer, and watching baseball. This hasn't been possible in Montreal since the Jarry Park days, way before my time.
Saw about ten games at Jarry when I was a kid, it was fantastic fun.

If the spos had played downtown in an open stadium when I was at Uni, I would have gone to min 10 games every summer, with my buddies or my GF. What could be more find than biking or walking 10 minutes to the park , paying 20 bucks for bleacher seats, sitting in the sun, a few beers, and watching the spos play the Mets?

I think the Spos would have survived if they had moved to a downtown 30,000 seat open stadium.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Agreed but I agree with you on experience.

I went to an Impact game at the Big O last April and it was ''alright'' even though they won their first ever MLS game. Two months later I went to the first game at Saputo Stadium and fell in love with the game and atmosphere. It's totally different.
Absolutely the atmosphere isn't even close. Even when my Milan came to town 2 years ago and despite over 50 000 in attendance it just doesn't feel the same. Look at the Pirates ball park, just to go sit there enjoy the view with a beer you don't even care about winning or losing. Hopefully we get them back one day, would love to get my kids into it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Bump.

The guy in charge of the RIO/Olympic Stadium says he`s in talks with Major League Baseball to bring exhibition games to the the Big O. Also mentionned the NFL.

Just now on 98.5 with Paul Houde.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
PernellKarl76

vCash: 50
http://deadspin.com/photos-marlins-p...mpty-472406862

Loria

PernellKarl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesee22 View Post
But it was Montreal's fault, right? We aren't a baseball city, unlike Miami.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
This is a nice stadium

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
This is a nice stadium
True, but built with public money, and then he guts his team? No wonder the fans are pi$$ed...what a bull$hit owner!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:43 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Martinez recalls perfect game in L.A. (video)

Also a lot of Expos fans at Rogers Centre

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...t-game-in-l-a/

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesee22 View Post
This makes me smile. I wish nothing but bad for this *******.

When he comes to the big owe the stadium is just crap. It's falling apart costing the Montreal tax payers millions every year. The roof is full of holes and the city continues to pour millions into that alone. Its located in a bad part of town not close to the downtown core like the Bell center is. Before Montreal should even consider another baseball team a new stadium needs to be built with private funds.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:20 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpatrick View Post
This makes me smile. I wish nothing but bad for this *******.

When he comes to the big owe the stadium is just crap. It's falling apart costing the Montreal tax payers millions every year. The roof is full of holes and the city continues to pour millions into that alone. Its located in a bad part of town not close to the downtown core like the Bell center is. Before Montreal should even consider another baseball team a new stadium needs to be built with private funds.
There are three men I despise in the world of baseball - Jeff Loria, David Samson, and Bud Selig.

These men (and yes, I know they had their helpers) ripped from me a game I once loved. A game I once played. A game which now I hardly pay attention to.

I lived in Montreal for two summers - 1992 and 1994. I have treasured memories of watching the Expos then, and especially in 94.

Nos Expos, Nos Amours.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:06 AM
BLONG7

Private funds...if an owner was found, who built the new stadium, would the city and fans support it? You would need 30,000 per game to make it work? I loved the Expos, but don't think they ever return...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

It would work.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Private funds...if an owner was found, who built the new stadium, would the city and fans support it? You would need 30,000 per game to make it work? I loved the Expos, but don't think they ever return...
Not enough hardcore baseball fans to make it work. You'd occasionally get 30,000 but the season average would be around 18-19,000, which is not enough to compete in MLB.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:14 PM
gee

was there some sort of ticket drive started - or is that old news?

gee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
was there some sort of ticket drive started - or is that old news?
Yep mister!

http://exposnation.com/en/expos-stadium-season-tickets/

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 332
Pretty reasonable prices actually

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote