HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Tell me about Nathan Beaulieu

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2012, 07:54 AM
  #1
Hawks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Tell me about Nathan Beaulieu

Strengths? How good will he be?

Hawks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:00 AM
  #2
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
His strengths are definitely his puck-moving and maneuverability. He's not the greatest skater but he's shifty. He has a very good shot and he can thread some incredible passes. His vision is generally excellent.

His decision-making is his weakness, as well as his general defensive awareness. He'll always be an offense-first type, and he's not physical. A lot of Habs posters like to compare him to Subban when Subban first turned pro, but Subban showed an insane determination to work on the defensive part of his game. I don't know if Beaulieu has that drive.

But you can see he has the raw skills that should make him an NHLer in some capacity. How good he'll be or if he ever reaches his ceiling will be up to him. A comparison I've seen thrown around is Ron Hainsey, and I wouldn't disagree with that.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:37 AM
  #3
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
He's one of the better skaters I've seen

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:54 AM
  #4
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
He's one of the better skaters I've seen
He's fluid going in a straight line, but backwards and pivoting could use some work.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
  #5
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,919
vCash: 133
Reminds me a little bit of Bouwmeester in terms of skating, smooth skater.

Not a defensive d-man at all really, I think he could work out to be a 30-40 point #3 guy with below average defense if everything goes his way.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:00 AM
  #6
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
I like his style, he has great passing ability and can distribute the puck well from the blueline. As others said, his defensive ability is not that good.

He reminds me a little of Mike Green.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:02 AM
  #7
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He's fluid going in a straight line, but backwards and pivoting could use some work.
True. He's very strong going up ice, it's a big plus to his offensive capabilities. Should just make him a winger rly.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:07 PM
  #8
reffree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ste-justine québec
Posts: 1,603
vCash: 500
Like others, I don't like his defensive play and his decision with the puck in th O-zone. He has some tremendous tool but production has never been impressive. I know his fourth season with St-Johns he had a point per game but with that much powerplay time on such a stack team ...

Hope he became something. I like the Hainsey comparaison in potential and time frame to reach that potential.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:23 PM
  #9
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Never been a big fan honestly. Good tools offensively but bad defensively and his production hasnt been great. On that St Johns team he should've been puttingup more points

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
  #10
domdo345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
If Nathan wants to be a good NHLer used on the PP, he will need to learn to place his shot from the point. Maybe his shot was going great in the juniors because he had more time, but in the AHL his accuracy is off as well as he's shooting too high for a tip/rebound.

I disagree with posters saying he's not physical. Maybe he won't be going for the open ice hit, but he's kinda mean in the corners and does not hesitate to give some Sherwood. He's also a pretty good fighter (see youtube).

What I like the most about Beaulieu is his will to do a tape to tape pass when breaking out. You rarely see him rimming the puck along the boards when under pressure. He will accept the hit to make his play. Off course this led to some turnovers, but when he'll adjust to the AHL speed, and taking less time to make his decisions, it will really pays off. I am quite high on Dmans that preach puck possession on breakouts, as it helps forwards big time. Rimming the puck should be your last option.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:09 PM
  #11
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
True. He's very strong going up ice, it's a big plus to his offensive capabilities. Should just make him a winger rly.
With a spot on the point for the PP.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
  #12
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Never been a big fan honestly. Good tools offensively but bad defensively and his production hasnt been great. On that St Johns team he should've been puttingup more points
He's better than Ouellet, deal with it. But we won't know until 2016 when Ouellet plays his first game in the NHL.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
  #13
Plante
Registered User
 
Plante's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,709
vCash: 500
He doesn't have a good head on his shoulders, I personally think he won't be able to keep pace with the decision making at the NHL level.

Hopefully he makes me eat my words.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:44 PM
  #14
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
He's better than Ouellet, deal with it. But we won't know until 2016 when Ouellet plays his first game in the NHL.
Wings fans have been ******** on Beaulieu since day 1 I find it quite hilarious.

Beaulieu had a very very good first camp with the Habs, but right now he's struggling defensively on the 'Dogs. But I'm not worried since they are the second youngest team (and littered with rookies on defense) in a stacked AHL. He will adjust.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:49 PM
  #15
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,210
vCash: 500
From what I've seen, he is a very, very fluid skater that has strong instincts in the offensive zone with excellent puck poise. That alone will allow him to play in the NHL, in a sheltered role if needed. He also has quite some sandpaper to his game, but like it's been said a few times already, he tends to lose control easily, take bad penalties and has trouble with his decision making. He probably won't ever be an effective defensive player, but if he can improve his decision making a bit (quite a bit), I don't see what's stopping him to become an offensive force in the NHL.

He has first pairing / PPQB upside, but I think he's more likely going to end up as a complementary piece on the 2nd pair and be a PP specialist.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:18 PM
  #16
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Wings fans have been ******** on Beaulieu since day 1 I find it quite hilarious.

Beaulieu had a very very good first camp with the Habs, but right now he's struggling defensively on the 'Dogs. But I'm not worried since they are the second youngest team (and littered with rookies on defense) in a stacked AHL. He will adjust.
Wings fans have no reason to **** on Bealieu. Its not for any reason other then the fact that I havent been impressed with him really. Watched him in the AHL last year and have watched him in the world juniors and Q. Lots of raw talent with no tool box

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:00 PM
  #17
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
I am going to hold off judgement. Trust in Timmims instead. Been on this board before and read many fans condeming McDonagh after bad World Junior tourny. It takes extra time for d-men. Not going to make same mistake twice

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:03 PM
  #18
AJMHABS
25days!! New life
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I am going to hold off judgement. Trust in Timmims instead. Been on this board before and read many fans condeming McDonagh after bad World Junior tourny. It takes extra time for d-men. Not going to make same mistake twice
Agreed, we weren't patient enough with McDo, especially Gainey.

We shouldn't make the same mistake with Beaulieu.


Last edited by AJMHABS: 12-16-2012 at 11:18 AM.
AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:08 PM
  #19
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Wings fans have no reason to **** on Bealieu. Its not for any reason other then the fact that I havent been impressed with him really. Watched him in the AHL last year and have watched him in the world juniors and Q. Lots of raw talent with no tool box
Can you explain me how you did that?

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:09 PM
  #20
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Wings fans have no reason to **** on Bealieu. Its not for any reason other then the fact that I havent been impressed with him really. Watched him in the AHL last year and have watched him in the world juniors and Q. Lots of raw talent with no tool box
Just wondering how you were able to watch Beaulieu play in the AHL last year when he wasn't in that league...?

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:10 PM
  #21
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Wings fans have no reason to **** on Bealieu. Its not for any reason other then the fact that I havent been impressed with him really. Watched him in the AHL last year and have watched him in the world juniors and Q. Lots of raw talent with no tool box
Id trust this guy he watched him last year in the AHL.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:12 PM
  #22
AJMHABS
25days!! New life
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Id trust this guy he watched him last year in the AHL.
Beaulieu wasn't in the AHL last year, he was with the Sea Dogs in the Q.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:12 PM
  #23
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Wings fans have no reason to **** on Bealieu. Its not for any reason other then the fact that I havent been impressed with him really. Watched him in the AHL last year and have watched him in the world juniors and Q. Lots of raw talent with no tool box
Right, because a 19 years old defensemen that doesn't put it all together in the AHL from the get go is a disaster. What's important is that, you said it yourself, he has the talent. The next 2-3 years is what is going to define his future career. If he has the work ethic, there's no doubt in my mind he'll become a serviceable defenseman in the NHL. He could also be much more than just "serviceable" if everything goes right.

I can agree with the fact that Beaulieu is raw, but saying he has "no toolbox" is stupid. He has tons of skills, decent size and grit. All he need is to mature and Hamilton is the perfect place for that. Habs fan were so thrilled when we drafted him because none of them expected Beaulieu to fall that far into the draft and I believe some of them expected the kind of development Subban had, but there's what, a chance in a thousand for that to happen? Most of them have come back to earth by now, but it just seems like they're starting to go overboard on the negative side this time.

Let the kid grow.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
  #24
AJMHABS
25days!! New life
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Right, because a 19 years old defensemen that doesn't put it all together in the AHL from the get go is a disaster. What's important is that, you said it yourself, he has the talent. The next 2-3 years is what is going to define his future career. If he has the work ethic, there's no doubt in my mind he'll become a serviceable defenseman in the NHL. He could also be much more than just "serviceable" if everything goes right.

I can agree with the fact that Beaulieu is raw, but saying he has "no toolbox" is stupid. He has tons of skills, decent size and grit. All he need is to mature and Hamilton is the perfect place for that. Habs fan were so thrilled when we drafted him because none of them expected them to fall that far into the draft and I believe and I believe some of them expected the kind of development Subban had, but there's what, a chance in a thousand for that to happen? Most of them have come back to earth by now, but it just seems that they're starting to go overboard on the negative side this time.

let the kid grow.
This.

Defenseman usually take longer to develop, especially offensive defenesman.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:17 PM
  #25
KidLine93
Registered User
 
KidLine93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
ever since he made a lazy *** play in the World Juniors which led to Russia's 6th goal I haven't been a fan, shows the kid has weak mental strength.

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.