HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
What about Pavelski? He's a little older and a little more expensive than Gagner, but he brings a lot of needed skills (faceoffs, PK). He shoots right, and has enough offence to play the 2C role effectively.

Plus SJ has a ton of centres.

Am I dreaming?
I don't think SJ parts with him, Thornton & Marleau's contracts end in 2014, and I think at that point Pavelski & Couture take over as #1 & #2.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
I feel like theres no way gagner + whitney gets us anything close to a 1a center no matter what picks/prospects we include.

Theres also no way an injury prone declining winger and a prospect struggling to score in the ahl are worth a top pairing Dman
So you dont think Marleau\Getzlaf\Datsyuk can be had for Whitney+Gagner+Klefbom?
We dont need a C in his prime on a long term deal.. Just someone to shelter RNH and help us get to playoffs.

Also, the same goes for the Dman.. Paajarvi has 7pts in 13GP in AHL.. He is not playing great but a case can be made that he is playing behind the likes of RNH\Ebs\Hall and AHL veterans in Green\Arcobello in depth.
It also doesnt have to be Yandle.. just someone who can hold their own now and shelter guys like Petry and Schultz.

I maybe overvaluing our guys a but you are certainly selling Hemsky\Gagner\Paajarvi short in your hopelessness.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
So you dont think Marleau\Getzlaf\Datsyuk can be had for Whitney+Gagner+Klefbom?
We dont need a C in his prime on a long term deal.. Just someone to shelter RNH and help us get to playoffs.

Also, the same goes for the Dman.. Paajarvi has 7pts in 13GP in AHL.. He is not playing great but a case can be made that he is playing behind the likes of RNH\Ebs\Hall and AHL veterans in Green\Arcobello in depth.
It also doesnt have to be Yandle.. just someone who can hold their own now and shelter guys like Petry and Schultz.

I maybe overvaluing our guys a but you are certainly selling Hemsky\Gagner\Paajarvi short in your hopelessness.
I am not giving up that much for to get a 2C for a few years not thank you.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:59 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
I feel like theres no way gagner + whitney gets us anything close to a 1a center no matter what picks/prospects we include.

Theres also no way an injury prone declining winger and a prospect struggling to score in the ahl are worth a top pairing Dman
We don't need a 1A centreman we need a 2C that is it, with a cap you can't afford to have a 1A and 1B centreman because you have to take away from another position.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:05 PM
rockinghockey

When it comes to buying out Horc, I think this year will be lost so his 6mil won't count. Then it is just the other 7mil to buy out.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:14 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd move Gagner and something else of decent value for him (and Detroit would tell me to piss off) but not Klefbom. 3-4 years of Datsyuk to mentor RNH would be amazing and even at the end of those years he'd probably still be better than Gagner.
Datsyuk won't be traded, but the Oilers could definitely use a guy like him even in 3-4 years.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:15 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
so big overpayment for a player who has 1.5 season left
vs
huge underpayment and will need one of the big 5 going the other way..

IMO if DET wants to retool then this could be a good option.
Klefbom is almost NHL ready and a healthy Whitney is as good as anyone they have on D. Shores up the D for them and gets them Gagner and Omark
Unless Datsyuk is extended before the trade, I just don't see a deal that would satisfy both teams. If he would be around for 4 years guarenteed, then it'd be worth it having a veteran 1C along with RNH.

Detroit would be better served dealing with a team looking for the last piece to win it all, and willing to give up some future pieces for the now. Edmonton is still years away from being in that position.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:10 PM
backhandsauce

Noticed Regehr is a UFA after this season. I wonder if he and his family would like to come back to Alberta?

Also, what would it take to get Orpik out of Pittsburgh? Let's say we don't move any defenseman and we add these two guys.

Regehr is getting a bit older so he probably would settle for a 3.3-3.5 cap hit.
Orpik is signed at 3.75 till 2014.

Adding these two guys to our D would make the Oilers that much tougher to play against.

You lose Sutton to reitrement, trade or waive Peckham and Potter with intentions for them to play in OKC.

Whitney is gone as a UFA

edit: and who knows if J-Bo is on his way!

Petry-Smid
J.Schultz-Orpik
N.Schultz-Regehr

Each pair has a physical guy who can play and isn't affraid of the rough stuff.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Mr Sakich

I have always like Regher but he is done. He was interviewed on Calgary Radio and he pretty much admits that he has very little left.

Regher = Sutton

Old
11-16-2012, 02:57 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
What about Pavelski? He's a little older and a little more expensive than Gagner, but he brings a lot of needed skills (faceoffs, PK). He shoots right, and has enough offence to play the 2C role effectively.

Plus SJ has a ton of centres.

Am I dreaming?
I had that dream once.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Unless Datsyuk is extended before the trade, I just don't see a deal that would satisfy both teams. If he would be around for 4 years guarenteed, then it'd be worth it having a veteran 1C along with RNH.

Detroit would be better served dealing with a team looking for the last piece to win it all, and willing to give up some future pieces for the now. Edmonton is still years away from being in that position.
an extended Datsyuk could easily cost us 2 of our fab 5...
DET shouldnt care how far away a team is from winning the cup as long as they get the best return. An EDM 1st > a 1st round pick from a contender.

Giving up non-core yet valuable pieces to get an elite player for 1.5 yrs is a step in the right direction for a team that has aspirations of contending for the cup.
There is plenty of depth in the organization to lose a few of our top prospects.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I don't think SJ parts with him, Thornton & Marleau's contracts end in 2014, and I think at that point Pavelski & Couture take over as #1 & #2.
SJ might trade Marleau before Pavelski. He could also be a good target for us...

Old
11-16-2012, 03:25 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Well. Bob said a deal could happen if the season started December 1st. Looks like that is most likely gone.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
SJ might trade Marleau before Pavelski. He could also be a good target for us...
If SJ was smart, they'd trade all of Marleau, Thornton & Boyle at next years deadline

Old
11-16-2012, 04:37 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
I think a trade that could benefit both team would be something along the lines of

Omark and a 2nd for Matt Martin from Long Island.

Omark could give Tavares and Grabner some support by dishing the puck. The second could turn out to be a diamond, you never know.

Martin comes and slides into our lineup and hits everything in sight. The NW is a lot tougher than than before and having Martin and Eager on a line together may make some noise on the forecheck.
That's not even tempting. C'mon.

Isles have Nino/Nelson/Kabanov/Ullstrom/Cizikas among others, pushing for spots from the AHL and Strome expected to fight for a limited number of roster spot from juniors.

If Omark is shopped, the isles, with their own glut of kids, won't be in the mix.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:52 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Also, what would it take to get Orpik out of Pittsburgh? Let's say we don't move any defenseman and we add these two guys.

Petry-Smid
J.Schultz-Orpik

Each pair has a physical guy who can play and isn't affraid of the rough stuff.

Orpik is interesting. A guy like Orpik or Marc Staal would be huge considering they are d-first players who add size and toughness but can still skate/make a pass. Just like Staal though, why would Pit move him? And what would a team like the Oilers need to send back?

Old
11-16-2012, 04:58 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
I agree. Pavelski is younger and cheaper, so it makes sense.

I don't want Marleau. Doesn't fit with our cap very well, and I don't want to give up the assets it would take to acquire him.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
That's not even tempting. C'mon.

Isles have Nino/Nelson/Kabanov/Ullstrom/Cizikas among others, pushing for spots from the AHL and Strome expected to fight for a limited number of roster spot from juniors.

If Omark is shopped, the isles, with their own glut of kids, won't be in the mix.
Paul Giamatti said Matt Martin's a bum anyway.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:29 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Paul Giamatti said Matt Martin's a bum anyway.
The actor? Is he a Pens fan?

Old
11-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
I agree. Pavelski is younger and cheaper, so it makes sense.

I don't want Marleau. Doesn't fit with our cap very well, and I don't want to give up the assets it would take to acquire him.
Unless the cap drops to less then 60M, we will have plenty of space for Marleau's contract especially if Gagner+ goes the other way.

As for the assets, what is the use of hanging onto prospects like Lander\Paajarvi\ Omark\ Teubert\ Plante etc if they have no hope of playing a significant role on this club long term.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:03 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's cinema wisdom, you wouldn't understand.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:37 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Unless the cap drops to less then 60M, we will have plenty of space for Marleau's contract especially if Gagner+ goes the other way.

As for the assets, what is the use of hanging onto prospects like Lander\Paajarvi\ Omark\ Teubert\ Plante etc if they have no hope of playing a significant role on this club long term.
No hope of playing a role? I see it as the opposite. We have the top 6 pretty much set. What we need are the role players/bottom 6 guys to develop. Omark has no future here but the other 3 you mentioned do.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
No hope of playing a role? I see it as the opposite. We have the top 6 pretty much set. What we need are the role players/bottom 6 guys to develop. Omark has no future here but the other 3 you mentioned do.
unless Lander can be a 55% on the dot, he can be replaced by any other fringe NHLer (VandeVelde?) ..Teubert has been overtaken by Schultz and MArincin in depth already with Musil and Klefbom right behind him. Paajarvi can still be a decent 3rd liner but the organization might prefer someone like Jones\Pitlick\Hartikainen over him due to the make up of our top 6.

Saying there is no hope was a stretch but losing these players wont cripple the organization.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:16 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
unless Lander can be a 55% on the dot, he can be replaced by any other fringe NHLer (VandeVelde?) ..Teubert has been overtaken by Schultz and MArincin in depth already with Musil and Klefbom right behind him. Paajarvi can still be a decent 3rd liner but the organization might prefer someone like Jones\Pitlick\Hartikainen over him due to the make up of our top 6.

Saying there is no hope was a stretch but losing these players wont cripple the organization.
You have some good points. Still, Teubert's role isn't duplicated by anyone but Musil, and Teubert is a couple years ahead in development and willing to fight.

You could also argue MPS is more valuable on the 3rd line because he can PK+ draw penalties, and so far Pitlick hasn't shown he's capable of doing either of those.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
From 30 Rock, Giamatti was a huge Isles fan.

Closed Thread