HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke sleeping on the street to raise awareness for homelessness in Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
hockeyfanz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
When you saw the article did you think oh what a great guy Burke is, or how can I help and where can I donate money to help these homeless youths which is really what this is about?.

There isn't even an address or contact for Covenant House in the article who put on the event to raise money or info for others to help out and donate.

A publicity stunt is more about the individual than the cause as it brings attention to themselves by their actions. Not saying there is anything wrong with supporting a good cause itself, but one can't lose focus about what its really all about.

To fight poverty if that was your charity of choice do you think starving oneself to see what its like to go hungry, or donating $$ to ease their suffering has the greater effect and good for their misfortune is all I'm saying here?.

If your take away from the article was Burke is such a great guy, than perhaps you missed the point of the event itself, as its not about the individual but the cause itself that is supposed to be the one that is intended to be made aware of.
This thread tells you all you need to know how this "helps" homelessness. It helps mostly Brian Burke and his image, IMO. But damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I think it is a nice gesture from a rich man but I agree with you. Money/Food is what helps hungry/homeless people. But perhaps he gave some of that too. To be honest, I don't care what these guys do with their spare time. I really don't. No more than my bosses care if I volunteer at the Hospital For Sick Children or not. And furthermore are any of the millions of volunteers who help the needy, unfortunate any less formidable than Brian Burke...Ummmmm no.

Last edited by hockeyfanz: 11-16-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 01:02 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The thing that homeless people need most is money, as its the lack there of that is forcing them into their current predicament.

Therefore raising awareness for the homeless that benefits them most are actions that provide them with room and perhaps board through financial assistance during their time of need, and not joining them on the streets. IMO

Even handing out blankets and jackets would improve their situation, by improving their comfort levels to raise awareness for their plight.

While its nice Burke is involved, reaching into his own deep pockets would help more.
Why are you assuming he has not? I hate people who come out and say how much they are giving to charity for the publicity. I feel very confident Burke did give some of his own money, and his actions will lead to help for the homeless.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
When you saw the article did you think oh what a great guy Burke is, or how can I help and where can I donate money to help these homeless youths which is really what this is about?.

There isn't even an address or contact for Covenant House in the article who put on the event to raise money or info for others to help out and donate.

A publicity stunt is more about the individual than the cause as it brings attention to themselves by their actions. Not saying there is anything wrong with supporting a good cause itself, but one can't lose focus about what its really all about.

To fight poverty if that was your charity of choice do you think starving oneself to see what its like to go hungry, or donating $$ to ease their suffering has the greater effect and good for their misfortune is all I'm saying here?.

If your take away from the article was Burke is such a great guy, than perhaps you missed the point of the event itself, as its not about the individual but the cause itself that is supposed to be the one that is intended to be made aware of.
Burke didn't write the article buddy. That's the reporter's writing.

And when you have celebrity, you should use it to bring attention to to help others. Is George Clooney a publicity ***** for trying to help his various charities?

Old
11-16-2012, 03:15 PM
EDDIE20*

Clooney would probably be considered one if he worked for the Leafs...

Old
11-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Kingstonian84*

While I don't think Burke has done an overly great job at being a GM, there's no doubt he IS a classy individual, props to him for sticking up for homeless people and helping to bring awarness to a very serious social problem, wish there were more people like him going to bat for the "underdog".

Old
11-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Great on him. If people are asking for him to donate money his presence generates more money than some of those who are complaining. Hell atleast he has done that to get some attention for such a subject. If you want to really help, don't want to give money or you do, join him or others just for the cause instead of criticizing the man.

11-16-2012, 05:35 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
This thread tells you all you need to know how this "helps" homelessness. It helps mostly Brian Burke and his image, IMO. But damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I think it is a nice gesture from a rich man but I agree with you. Money/Food is what helps hungry/homeless people. But perhaps he gave some of that too. To be honest, I don't care what these guys do with their spare time. I really don't. No more than my bosses care if I volunteer at the Hospital For Sick Children or not. And furthermore are any of the millions of volunteers who help the needy, unfortunate any less formidable than Brian Burke...Ummmmm no.
You guys are saying this like they didn't raise money. I don't understand, the whole point is to get publicity and media coverage so that people donate money. Just privately giving money to the cause (which again, I'm sure all these executives were willing to do if they were willing to subject themselves to this) would not have raised as much money or awareness.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Gatorade*

Pure publicity grab by Burke. Very typical of the egomaniac. How many have donated a nickle thanks to his latest little stunt? There isn't even info on how to. Burke loves the cameras.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Pure publicity grab by Burke. Very typical of the egomaniac. How many have donated a nickle thanks to his latest little stunt? There isn't even info on how to. Burke loves the cameras.
Burke's legacy in Toronto will be a man with great community presence and crappy hockey sense. Trips to visit the troops....Supporting the G and L community (very close to home with his son who passed away) and raising awareness for the homeless. All the while the hockey team sucks.....again...good for Burke for doing the community stuff...whether he does it for publicity or he does it out of the goodness of his heart....he does it and the end result is the same. But how about providing the destitute and abused Leafs Nation with some love Burkie? Still waiting. I'm thinking Alex Anthopolous has made Blue Jay Fans very very very happy in the last couple of days for making the Jays a contender (11-1 to win the Series, 4th highest in MLB by Vegas).........Perhaps something to think about while lying on the cold streets of Toronto.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Liminality

You've got to be a really biased person to think Burke is doing something wrong here.

Good on Burke to stay on top of these type of events while he has the time during the lockout.

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...ed-share-video

Last edited by Liminality: 11-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Alain Racette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Guaranteed he got the spot nearest the subway grate. No one messes with Burke.
C'mon, I can't be the only one who laughed at this!

Old
11-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
C'mon, I can't be the only one who laughed at this!
LOL i just saw it that was jokes hahah,

Old
11-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Respect to BB.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:17 PM
htpwn

Good on Burke. You can question his effectiveness in building up the Leafs organization but you can't question his heart. I'm sure the money ($525,000 last I heard) will be put to good use.

Last edited by Fugu: 11-17-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: you may not need that tool much longer
Old
11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Ari91

Burke didn't write that article so I don't know why the contents of that article are somehow related to Burke's intentions. He promoted the cause on the radio station, has provided information on how to donate and has encouraged people to do so. If someone reads that article and thinks 'what a great guy Burke is' rather than 'how can I help'? then that's on the person, not Burke.

The mentality of some of you in this thread is incredibly sad. Not surprising that we live in a society where people jump at the chance to cut someone down rather than give any credit, but just because it's unsurprising doesn't make it less disappointing. I guess all the critics in here can go on living your righteous and saint-like lives.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Good socks are probably the best thing to give homeless people to have an immediate impact. You want to help a homeless person, hand out some warm socks.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Buddio
CFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baun View Post
Great, great... Mayby next year he could find some time to show up at the trade deadline.... you know.... if he's not too busy with the troops and marching in parades. It's all great p.r. to take the focus off of the horrible job that he's done so far. But we hired this guy to do a job. Work first, look for publicity later.
Unreal.

People will do anything regardless of the situation to criticize him.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:15 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baun View Post
Great, great... Mayby next year he could find some time to show up at the trade deadline.... you know.... if he's not too busy with the troops and marching in parades. It's all great p.r. to take the focus off of the horrible job that he's done so far. But we hired this guy to do a job. Work first, look for publicity later.
I didnt even see this one, the best of them all Work first humanity 2nd, i see where your morals are Are you the type of person who works 24, or do you go home to your family after a certain hour? If its the first portion, then id love to see what your wife (if you have one) thinks of you my friend.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:17 PM
ponder

Burke's got nothing on Kessel. Burke may be sleeping on the street, but it's just 1 night, Kessel commits to looking like a homeless man every single day of his life.

For serious though, awesome by Burke, he definitely does seem like a good guy!

Old
11-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
The thing that homeless people need most is money, as its the lack there of that is forcing them into their current predicament.

Therefore raising awareness for the homeless that benefits them most are actions that provide them with room and perhaps board through financial assistance during their time of need, and not joining them on the streets. IMO

Even handing out blankets and jackets would improve their situation, by improving their comfort levels to raise awareness for their plight.

While its nice Burke is involved, reaching into his own deep pockets would help more.
Pretty despicable response.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
I'm a big fan of this cause for going right to the heart of the problem. And good on Burke for associating himself with this.

It's one thing to spare change or something, but it's another thing to take your own time and begin to understand, show compassion, and recognize the homeless as human-beings. It's quite sad to see people refuse to make eye-contact or cross the street to avoid them.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:05 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

We are talking about MILLIONAIRES sleeping on the streets in sleeping bags to raise awareness.

Looks good. The 500K+ they raised is even better.

Granted they only did it for one night and I am sure their sleeping bags were a heck of a lot better than what the homeless have, but to sleep on cold concrete is not fun.

Kudos to the guys who did this.

And again, those of you bashing Burke for his part should be ashamed of yourselves.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:37 PM
EDDIE20*

Here's what I don't get... I live in Ottawa and if Murray or Melnyk ever had the balls to do something similar, they'd be hailed as some of the greatest humaniariants on earth. Have they done anything like this lately?

People just like to bag on this because it's Burke and the Leafs. Say what you want about him as GM, but the guy's heart is in the right place.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:39 PM
RogerRoeper*

He actually bumped John Ferguson junior off his corner.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:40 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Here's what I don't get... I live in Ottawa and if Murray or Melnyk ever had the balls to do something similar, they'd be hailed as some of the greatest humaniariants on earth. Have they done anything like this?

People just like to bag on this because it's Burke and the Leafs. Say what you want about him as GM, but the guy's heart is in the right place.
Exactly. What Burke did was great. A lot better than what that A-Hole owner in Edmonton is doing in his city.

Closed Thread