HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The reason I ask is I've recently found a connection for same day, French style cheese curds. Obviously I can make my own steak fries. I'm known to both roast and smoke entire chickens on a semi regular basis and both my wife and mother are fond of making beef pot roasts. I can most certainly hang onto a bird carcass or two, and boil them (maybe one smoked carcass and one broiled) with some vegetables (standard onion, carrot, and celery) and water, combine with beef roast drippings their and accompanying vegetables(the same standard sort), and blend with flour. Certainly going to make an amzing gravy, but is that authentic, or anywhere near approaching? Maybe add too much pepper?
There's no authentic gravy, per se. All poutine joints have their own recipe. All closely guarded secrets. But i'd say you're on the right track here.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
There's no authentic gravy, per se. All poutine joints have their own recipe. All closely guarded secrets. But i'd say you're on the right track here.
Thanks! Good to know. As soon as my butcher told me he could hook me up with LEGIT curds, I've basically had a one track mind. Haha.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:48 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

The curds however have to be squeaky for it to be a
real poutine.

Last edited by dennilfloss: 11-11-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: ;0
Old
11-11-2012, 02:18 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Thanks! Good to know. As soon as my butcher told me he could hook me up with LEGIT curds, I've basically had a one track mind. Haha.
I know I've used St-Hubert Restaurants poutine sauce (Here) to cook mine.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
calmdown

For the poutine, if it taste good, it's good No special ingredient, I used old cheddar for mine last night and that was super

But to come back on the subject of this thread, I think a new era will begin tomorrow when the last part of the hippodrome will get down... http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam..._pavillon.aspx

And beeing on the same site, I wondered all month (because it opened on october 10th) if people in Glendale were skating outside at this time of the year?
http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam...dyouville.aspx

Just that I found it funny Saturday morning to watch kids playing hockey on that ice

Old
11-11-2012, 10:38 PM
DJ Omnimaga

In their defense, though, that outdoor ice place is refrigerated lol (likewise with the rink in Lévis near the congress center). It has been open since mid October, but normally there are still days in November where it's impossible to make ice.

But I get your point. Also I feel bad for the very true fans of hockey in Phoenix who would like to play hockey, because in Quebec there are plenty of news reports lately about how expensive it is for kids to start playing hockey. If hockey is that expensive to play as kid in Quebec, then imagine how it must be in places where finding hockey equipment and rinks is near impossible.

Does anyone know how much percentage of the hole is done digging for the new arena? I remember reading that it must be done by the end of November or before it starts snowing too much, but I was wondering if they're ahead of time or late?

Old
11-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Matrix78

Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin want NHL back in Quebec City

Old
11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
But I get your point. Also I feel bad for the very true fans of hockey in Phoenix who would like to play hockey, because in Quebec there are plenty of news reports lately about how expensive it is for kids to start playing hockey. If hockey is that expensive to play as kid in Quebec, then imagine how it must be in places where finding hockey equipment and rinks is near impossible.
Many Americans on this board have mentioned this in the past. I remember people saying that hockey is largely a 'rich people sport' almost everywhere in the US.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
For the poutine, if it taste good, it's good No special ingredient, I used old cheddar for mine last night and that was super

But to come back on the subject of this thread, I think a new era will begin tomorrow when the last part of the hippodrome will get down... http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam..._pavillon.aspx

And beeing on the same site, I wondered all month (because it opened on october 10th) if people in Glendale were skating outside at this time of the year?

Just that I found it funny Saturday morning to watch kids playing hockey on that ice
God those pictures make me want to learn french and move to QC. So beautiful!

11-12-2012, 03:17 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
God those pictures make me want to learn french and move to QC. So beautiful!
Not necessary to speak french to visit... Most of us do speak english!

Old
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
(...) And beeing on the same site, I wondered all month (because it opened on october 10th) if people in Glendale were skating outside at this time of the year?

Adding to this, I'm sure there are more kids playin street hockey in summer time here than in Glendale all season long! (no sarcasm).

Old
11-12-2012, 06:01 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

The zamboni is resurfacing the Place D'Youville rink right now.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:15 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
Adding to this, I'm sure there are more kids playin street hockey in summer time here than in Glendale all season long! (no sarcasm).
lol even a circulation problem for car drivers sometimes... But it's normal here So we have signs saying "Protect our children" and speed limit is 30 KM in those zones

Old
11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
The zamboni is resurfacing the Place D'Youville rink right now.

And now a lot of people skating and on Saturday morning, minor hockey teams practicing ;-) And that just outside in the middle of town... Summer it's skateboard, but from October it becomes Ice skating ;-) Where, if you notice, youngers beginning skating with a chair

Old
11-15-2012, 12:32 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam..._pavillon.aspx

Hippodrome is no more !

Old
11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Was about to post that. Good thing I checked to the end of the thread beforehand.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Things looking pretty bleak on both the lock-out and the Glendale front, if you are a Coyotes fan. Pretty good if you a Nordiques fan, though, I suppose. Could be interesting for you fellas if the season gets cancelled and Glendale gives the NHL the boot.

As long as Quebec can convince two key free agents to re-sign, in Mike Smith and Boyd Gordon, you could end up icing a really good team. Especially with all of the UFAs that would flood the market after the lock-out. Some quality Quebec friendly players on the market, too. Former Remparts Simon Gagne(fill the hole left by Whitney) and Mike Ribeiro(address a huge weakness at center), as well as well as former QMJHL stand out Ryane Clowe(help replace Doan), and Quebec native Marty Biron(way, way better than LaBarbera). The Nords would certainly have a ton of money to throw around, considering Phoenix has the fewest committed dollars in the league. That roster would probably be better on paper than the one Tippett just took to the Conference Finals. Assuming, of course, that DT is willing to go to Quebec. There are similar system coaches, though, that could potentially get a lot of miles out of a roster such as that. I wonder if the Hunters could be lured out of London if they were handed the keys to the whole NHL operation (rather than limited to coaching duties like in Washington).

Old
11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Things looking pretty bleak on both the lock-out and the Glendale front, if you are a Coyotes fan. Pretty good if you a Nordiques fan, though, I suppose. Could be interesting for you fellas if the season gets cancelled and Glendale gives the NHL the boot.

As long as Quebec can convince two key free agents to re-sign, in Mike Smith and Boyd Gordon, you could end up icing a really good team. Especially with all of the UFAs that would flood the market after the lock-out. Some quality Quebec friendly players on the market, too. Former Remparts Simon Gagne(fill the hole left by Whitney) and Mike Ribeiro(address a huge weakness at center), as well as well as former QMJHL stand out Ryane Clowe(help replace Doan), and Quebec native Marty Biron(way, way better than LaBarbera). The Nords would certainly have a ton of money to throw around, considering Phoenix has the fewest committed dollars in the league. That roster would probably be better on paper than the one Tippett just took to the Conference Finals. Assuming, of course, that DT is willing to go to Quebec. There are similar system coaches, though, that could potentially get a lot of miles out of a roster such as that. I wonder if the Hunters could be lured out of London if they were handed the keys to the whole NHL operation (rather than limited to coaching duties like in Washington).
No no no no no !

Hunter was a great player, but that's it. I would rather keep Tippett or get another NHL experienced coach and have Patrick Roy as assistant for a few years.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:43 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

One of my friends mentioned Guy Carbonneau and Jacques Lemaire. I felt nauseous.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
one of my friends mentioned guy carbonneau and jacques lemaire. I felt nauseous.
vade retro satana

Old
11-16-2012, 08:23 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
vade retro satana
Tant qu'à y être Mario Tremblay coach et Patrick Roy assistant

Old
11-16-2012, 09:11 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Guess who wore it before :

Hmmm. The wife isn't too appreciative of my new jersey.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:03 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Not sure if I would get Simon Gagné with the team, considering he's at high risk of getting injured it seems. As for the coach I would like if the team hired an English coach because it would be funny if Quebec barely even complained about it (like when Nords had Dave Chambers and Marc Crawford), even though Montreal, which is even less francophone than Quebec City, pulled a big protest in front of the Bell Center against Cunneyworth hiring.

As for the players there are a lot of people in Quebec who speak English decently and many store employees in touristic areas are required to know some English, so it should hopefully not be too bad. Avoiding crappy drivers will probably be a bigger issue, lol.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:29 AM
htpwn

Quote:
One of my friends mentioned Guy Carbonneau and Jacques Lemaire. I felt nauseous.
No worries, Lemaire is retired and has been adamant that he isn't interested in an NHL job.

Carbonneau is another story. Good coach but I can understand the rivalry factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
Not sure if I would get Simon Gagné with the team, considering he's at high risk of getting injured it seems. As for the coach I would like if the team hired an English coach because it would be funny if Quebec barely even complained about it (like when Nords had Dave Chambers and Marc Crawford), even though Montreal, which is even less francophone than Quebec City, pulled a big protest in front of the Bell Center against Cunneyworth hiring.

As for the players there are a lot of people in Quebec who speak English decently and many store employees in touristic areas are required to know some English, so it should hopefully not be too bad. Avoiding crappy drivers will probably be a bigger issue, lol.
Not "crappy," reckless.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:22 PM
calmdown

Interview at 1120 am radio in Pennsylvania
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Sidney Crosby.mp3‎ (216.0 KB, 13 views)

Closed Thread