HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the Maple Leafs REALLY need

Old
11-16-2012, 04:50 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
Reimer never suffered a concussion last season. It was initially suspected, and the media went on a hay-day about it.

But if you check the actual reports, it was eventually clarified that it was a neck injury.

Furthermore, if you watched the actual injury footage, that was going to injure anyone (even Crosby). Really, it should never have happened because the defenceman (can't remember who it was... Gardiner? Komisarek?) was too soft on Gionta and allowed him to crash the crease.

The coach should have benched the player responsible.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Reimer never suffered a concussion last season. It was initially suspected, and the media went on a hay-day about it.

But if you check the actual reports, it was eventually clarified that it was a neck injury.

Furthermore, if you watched the actual injury footage, that was going to injure anyone (even Crosby). Really, it should never have happened because the defenceman (can't remember who it was... Gardiner? Komisarek?) was too soft on Gionta and allowed him to crash the crease.

The coach should have benched the player responsible.
You are buying Burke's sell job. Riemer had 6 concussions prior to last season. The math is not hard here.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I really don't care what you think about his past goalies. What is important is what he has done for the Leafs, and that includes trying like 9 goalies, including a former Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup winner (one of his so-called "terrible" past goalies), a rookie coming off one of the most spectacular half-seasons in recent memory, and an SEL record-setter that was pursued by over half the league.

Gustavsson had a heart condition that was supposed to be over and done with. Wasn't even who I was talking about though. Giguere had groin concerns, but they were supposed to be better when he came over. Most goalies these days have groin concerns. Giguere had 2 injured seasons here, and then went off to another team and had a healthy, great year, so it's not like he was run and done. Riemer is not injury prone, and his injury was a result of an in-game action that would have led to the same result for anybody. Toskala also went through a number of injury problems in his time here.

At the time when we last saw these players play, Kessel was 24, Lupul was 28, Grabovski was 28, Phaneuf was 26, Gardiner was 21, Kulemin was 25, and JVR was 22. Not to mention Reimer who was 23. They have plenty of years left to contribute, and they are significant assets.
Excuses excuses excuses. Gets old.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Yeah....he's tried 9 goalies and none of them have been good for any length of time. Who cares? Its not about trying. Its about succeeding. That is actually what defines a good GM or player or goalie or coach or _______________. Burke has failed so far as the Leafs GM. Undeniably.

hockeyfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Hardly. Burke has never taken advantage of the CBA. Never. It's quite the opposite. He has even testified on behalf of the league against his mentor.
Burke has done everything within the CBA that would not hurt his team going forward.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
You are buying Burke's sell job. Riemer had 6 concussions prior to last season. The math is not hard here.
6 concussions? Where are you getting this from?

Regardless, half the league now has concussion history and Reimer's injury wasn't even a concussion.

Good god, now people are blaming Burke for injuries too.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Pointless comments, pointless comments, pointless comments that don't address anything. Gets old.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:

Regardless, half the league now has concussion history and Reimer's injury wasn't even a concussion.

He had 6 in junior. Well documented. His mother even said so to the Star.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Pointless comments, pointless comments, pointless comments that don't address anything. Gets old.
I provide facts. You provide excuses for a failure.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:

http://m.thestar.com/sports/leafs/ar...s-reimer-s-mom

Old
11-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
He had 6 in junior. Well documented. His mother even said so to the Star.
Sources.

Quote:
I provide facts. You provide excuses for a failure.
I have seen no facts out of you. I don't provide excuses. I provide explanation. God only knows we need more people actually understanding things around here.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
That says nothing about him having 6 concussions, and also makes it clear how little his mom knows about what is and is not a concussion and what to do.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
That says nothing about him having 6 concussions, and also makes it clear how little his mom knows about what is and is not a concussion and what to do.
Reimer has a long history of concussions. Clearly you don't follow hockey.

Of course you don't believe his own mother. What a joke.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Maybe you need to read old threads.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=39175315

Old
11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Hardly. Burke has never taken advantage of the CBA. Never. It's quite the opposite. He has even testified on behalf of the league against his mentor.
Burke is more interested in becoming the leagues' next commissioner more than he is in taking advantage of CBA loop-holes. He has his eye on that seat. When Betman retires Burke will want to look good in the owner's minds, so now way will he circumvent the CBA. It's too bad for the Leafs Burke has this "hidden" agenda. But there will still be the annual lottery picks to be excited about!

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Burke is more interested in becoming the leagues' next commissioner more than he is in taking advantage of CBA loop-holes. He has his eye on that seat. When Betman retires Burke will want to look good in the owner's minds, so now way will he circumvent the CBA. It's too bad for the Leafs Burke has this "hidden" agenda. But there will still be the annual lottery picks to be excited about!
Yep. Burke has ways been a league guy. NHL first and foremost for the ex employee.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:

Reimer has had a concussion in the past, but there is no mention of 6 concussions by anyone. This isn't about believing his mother or not.

Quote:
Maybe you need to read old threads.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=39175315
Yeah, I read most of that thread. I remember no mention of 6 concussions. I am not going to re-read 41 pages to prove something that doesn't even matter.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Reimer has had a concussion in the past, but there is no mention of 6 concussions by anyone. This isn't about believing his mother or not.

Yeah, I read most of that thread. I remember no mention of 6 concussions. I am not going to re-read 41 pages to prove something that doesn't even matter.
He's up to 7 now.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
He's up to 7 now.
And you have still given no proof of that.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:46 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
I agree with everything you said, that's why I feel bad for the leafs fans that have been watching the team for so many years fail. I myself am a bandwagon fan of all the Toronto teams. I started watching the leafs last season because I actually fell into the hype for the first time in about 5 years break. I really wanted to cheer for my home team for a long time and never had the chance. But I feel sorry and also baffled on how some people can watch a team like the leafs fail year after year and still buy tickets and merchandise, supporting mlse failure over and over. MLSE knows they can only spend just so much money to satisfy a fan for a season. They do this every year and nothing ever changes. I'm just glad I have the bandwagon fan mentality and didn't waste years on any of the Toronto teams because till I see some big changes in the organization it's just not worth my time, I have always wished people would do the same to show the rich that they can't just milk them for the same or slightly different garbage product every year.
Did you read any of the other posts? Because that logic makes absolutely no sense. It's actually borderline moronic to even suggest that it does.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:48 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Steve Tambellini has Hall, Yakupov, RNH and Schultz to show for his time in Edm. Burke's biggest trade is a rather questionable one IMO, drafting has been good, but if he wanted to go that route the 2 1s and 2nd should never have been traded. The man is disorganized, and his plans seem to change on a daily basis.
Burke's trade is only questionable to clueless morons who want nothing more than a scapegoat to make them feel better.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:54 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yeah....he's tried 9 goalies and none of them have been good for any length of time. Who cares? Its not about trying. Its about succeeding. That is actually what defines a good GM or player or goalie or coach or _______________. Burke has failed so far as the Leafs GM. Undeniably.
Goalies were only part of the problem, the main one being Wilson.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Actually, I have to disagree with this! While I don't agree with "tanking", Tambellini has a set plan in place which is to draft the best players and hope it pans out, I don't necessairly agree with it but in Edmonton's case its the best option because of an inability to draw in big name free agents. Burke on the other hand really doesn't have any plan in place, he's all over the map with his ideas, one minute its a rebuild the next its a push for the playoffs, say what you want about Tambellini but the man has a goal, so does Burke I suppose but there methods are night and day IMO.
This has everything to do with perception. Tambellini's goal is laughable. Lose to win. Somehow that's seen as an amazing feat of building a team. It's not hard to draft the best player in a draft when you're picking first. Look at all his other moves outside those three first round picks. Very questionable. No trades worth speaking of. No big signings outside Schultz. His plan isn't much of a plan at all.

Burke on the other hand has had two separate plans. It's not his fault that people have ignored those plans.

Burke's original plan was a quick rebuild. That clearly didn't work out. So he switched gears to a rebuild. Trading Versteeg and Kaberle for picks was the first indication of this. Then going after Gardiner in the Beauchemin trade. That was the second sign of things.

People with the idea that Burke doesn't have a plan are stuck in the idea that rebuilding must include tanking or a fire sale of every piece worth something. This isn't the case is a sign of antiquated thinking. Burke is doing a fine job of building the Leafs prospects up and establishing a young core on the big team.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:59 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Are you being intentionally obtuse for giggles? I legitimately can't tell.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Are you being intentionally obtuse for giggles? I legitimately can't tell.
What is obtuse about facts? Are you seriously questioning public record now?