Notices

Stan Jonathan charged in hunting death

Old
11-16-2012, 08:33 AM
DaaaaB's

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Tragic news, but now people know how the deer feel.
Guns and humans, just not a good combo.

btw, this is defo not a "sport".
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
yes, it is quite bloodthirsty when you think about it, if it was being done for survival it would be one thing and understandable, but to get enjoyment out of killing and make a hobby out of it is another
Do you not realize how big of a problem it is to have deer overpopulated. Destroying forestry and crops is one thing but causing car accidents and human deaths is a bigger problem. Spreading disease is another issue as already mentioned. As someone who had a good friend killed in a car accident caused by a deer, I will say that you two are absolutely clueless.

Oh and btw, hunters don't just kill for enjoyment. They eat the kill too, saving money while helping the ecosystem. BTW again, I've never hunted in my life, I'm just smart enough to realize that it's a necessity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
People are allowed to have guns in Canada?
I'm pretty sure hunting is more popular in Canada then it is in the US. But yeah, we do have some retarded gun laws. The laws don't actually stop criminals from getting guns but they sure make it a hassle for law-abiding hunters and other citizens. As long as guns are being made, criminals will always get their hands on them.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

I'm heading to northern Wisconsin tonight (along with about 450,000 other hunters)
for deer hunting season. Seems like every year a handful of people are killed during
the hunt. Almost always an accident, but tragic none the less.

Didn't Bobby Knight shoot someone a few years back?

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Reading the articles, it does seem like street/truck hunting.

Must be laws about shooting from/on a public way.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post

Do you not realize how big of a problem it is to have deer overpopulated. Destroying forestry and crops is one thing but causing car accidents and human deaths is a bigger problem. Spreading disease is another issue as already mentioned. As someone who had a good friend killed in a car accident caused by a deer, I will say that you two are absolutely clueless.

Oh and btw, hunters don't just kill for enjoyment. They eat the kill too, saving money while helping the ecosystem. BTW again, I've never hunted in my life, I'm just smart enough to realize that it's a necessity.

I'm pretty sure hunting is more popular in Canada then it is in the US. But yeah, we do have some retarded gun laws. The laws don't actually stop criminals from getting guns but they sure make it a hassle for law-abiding hunters and other citizens. As long as guns are being made, criminals will always get their hands on them.
I didn't think to film it w/ my Iphone, and was killing myself after the fact for not doing it. I rolled up on the aftermath of a so called "smart" car (glorified golf cart) that had hit a young buck near my home. Poor thing was still trying to walk. It's likely starving to death somewhere as we speak. Not so smart car? Front end demolished, windshield smashed, airbag deployed, roof damaged. Looked like it went completely over the car. Occupant was ok, but the irony was completely off the hook. Speed around here at night you take your life into your hands, and I'm only a half hour (wife driving) to 20 mins (me in wicked smart car) outside of Boston.

Wait til the wolves are back!

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:

Just some FYI's...

First, people don't just go out to shoot deer for the heck of it. People shoot deer
for food. Here in Wisconsin, if someone gets a deer and doesn't want it, they can
even donate the deer to help feed the homeless (I read somewhere that about 700
tons had been donated over the years). That's pretty awesome!

Second, for years our deer population had limited real natural predators - mainly
bobcat and bear (although our wolf population is finally coming back). This means
that the deer population has exploded over the last 50 or so years. This has lead
to numerous problems such as car strikes (our state averages over 18,000 per year -
in fact my insurance company states that yearly odds of hitting a deer are 1 in 78),
chronic wasting disease and even mass starvation during harsh winters.

Third, our DNR have a pretty comprehensive "deer management" program. They
can somewhat dictate how many deer are killed each year (by issuing different
types of hunting permits). This is all done to ensure a healthy deer population.

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:21 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post

It was ever thus, something that gun control supporters refuse to grasp.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:22 AM
8thRoundPick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
People are allowed to have guns in Canada?
Not sure if you are asking seriously or not? I'll assume you are.

Up here in Canada we are allowed to own both long guns (rifles, shotguns) and hand guns, but both require a Possession Acquisition License. For long guns, you need the "Restricted" P.A.L., whereas for hand guns you need the "Non-Restricted" version. Both versions require a written and practical exam be passed, the RCMP does a background check, there is a cool-down waiting period and then finally the license can be issued. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm fairly certain the background check is much more thorough for the non-restricted license, and you need a viable reason to obtain one (officer of the law, member of a gun club, etc).

For hunting, there is an additional license required. You must pass a Hunter Safety course in order to obtain it, called the "H1" license (there are a few other variations, but the majority of adults obtain the H1) which comes in the form of an Outdoors card.

On top of all that, hunting is controlled and you must purchase and have in your possession a game seal in order to hunt. Some game animals have a lottery in order to get a seal, and this is in place to only give out so many seals in order to maintain proper game populations.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

What MNIM said is more true about fishing than hunting TBH. Trophy hunting is the minority.

Even in the case of trophy hunting, that should be fine as long as you're hunting an overpopulated species because quite frankly, nature doesn't run on mercy.

If you're going to use an environmental standpoint, the environment is very efficient about these things. No part of the deer is "wasted" even if you kill it and just let it lie -- anything that's left over from what you kill just goes back into the environment and goes back into the life cycle. As long as you leave enough individuals to keep a breeding population and keep numbers steady, it really is fine.

The only people who care about the lives of any one individual deer are humans too isolated from said cycle for their own good. If you eat meat, you have no business complaining about the "cruelty" of hunting. Quite frankly, from a cruelty perspective, farm animals have it much worse, especially on modern industrial farms and ranches. At least these guys get to run around and be actual deer in their actual environment until the hunter bags them.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
8thRoundPick

Quote:

I don't call it a sport either. But there is nothing wrong with hunting IMO. If you kill a deer and use it to feed your family, it is just like that ground beef you ate the other day - an animal was killed to make that, and it was prepared for you to eat.

At least here in Canada (I assume the US is very similar), you are taught and trained before you can hunt how to humanely kill game - where to shoot, when to shoot, and what calibre of weapon you should use to effectively and humanely kill it.

There is also no shame in enjoying the hunt itself. We have always been predators by nature, so there is a certain satisfaction that comes with hunting and killing your own meal. As long as the rules are followed and the hunter is being responsible, there is nothing wrong with hunting.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thRoundPick View Post

Up here in Canada we are allowed to own both long guns (rifles, shotguns) and hand guns, but both require a Possession Acquisition License. For long guns, you need the "Restricted" P.A.L., whereas for hand guns you need the "Non-Restricted" version. Both versions require a written and practical exam be passed, the RCMP does a background check, there is a cool-down waiting period and then finally the license can be issued. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm fairly certain the background check is much more thorough for the non-restricted license, and you need a viable reason to obtain one (officer of the law, member of a gun club, etc).

For hunting, there is an additional license required. You must pass a Hunter Safety course in order to obtain it, called the "H1" license (there are a few other variations, but the majority of adults obtain the H1) which comes in the form of an Outdoors card.

On top of all that, hunting is controlled and you must purchase and have in your possession a game seal in order to hunt. Some game animals have a lottery in order to get a seal, and this is in place to only give out so many seals in order to maintain proper game populations.
This is similar to the US as far as hunting licenses. However, the US doesn't require a license for long arms. Handgun laws vary wildly from state to state.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
I don't call it a sport either. But there is nothing wrong with hunting IMO. If you kill a deer and use it to feed your family, it is just like that ground beef you ate the other day - an animal was killed to make that, and it was prepared for you to eat.

At least here in Canada (I assume the US is very similar), you are taught and trained before you can hunt how to humanely kill game - where to shoot, when to shoot, and what calibre of weapon you should use to effectively and humanely kill it.

There is also no shame in enjoying the hunt itself. We have always been predators by nature, so there is a certain satisfaction that comes with hunting and killing your own meal. As long as the rules are followed and the hunter is being responsible, there is nothing wrong with hunting.
Exactly. I've never hunted in my life, but that's simply because I'm a wuss about going deep into the trees for any reason -- ironic, considering I live in Maine, but there ya go. I would never deny someone else the right to go do that if that's what they wanted to do.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
BergyDGD
Gurley 4 Heisman

Quote:

I loathe hunting but this sentiment may be a little extreme.

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:11 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Here in America, we're told every other country has "banned" guns, so we can feel like we're unique.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:47 PM
BergyDGD
Gurley 4 Heisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Here in America, we're told every other country has "banned" guns, so we can feel like we're unique.
It's not that we are taught we're unique , it's the fact that death caused by firearms in the US is so high compared to other civilized countries that it is sickening. 9,000+ firearm deaths in the US compared to about 150 in Canada. Among the 23 richest countries in the world the US makes up 80% of the total of firearm deaths. So ya we are unique in the fact that we are so reckless with our guns, but we gotta protect our rights!

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:27 PM
double5son10

Sorry to read about this tragedy. Reading that the victim has a new-born makes it doubly sad, as his kid will never know him.

Always admired Stanley, he was the epitome of Cherry's Lunch-Pail A.C. What he didn't have in talent he made up for in toughness and determination.

Sad news all around.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:

Thanks tree hugger. How about this....Deer suck. They spread lyme disease and they cause accidents because they are too effing dumb to stay in the woods.

Cull the herd

Reality.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:03 AM
nonoffensiveusername

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Shame, Shame. Ban Hunting! Let the deer live and procreate.
Spoken by someone who doesn't know anything about conservation and forestry.

nonoffensiveusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoffensiveusername View Post
Spoken by someone who doesn't know anything about conservation and forestry.
I think Ratty may have been sarcastic there.

Just a hunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Thanks tree hugger. How about this....Deer suck. They spread lyme disease and they cause accidents because they are too effing dumb to stay in the woods.

Cull the herd

Reality.
Agreed. Real environmentalism is managing the environment correctly using best practices. This is to be contrasted with the so called green movement that has screwed up the environment at least as much as anyone else by refusing to tolerate said best practices.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

wow, this thread is going downhill fast.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Strafer

Suddenly I'm craving Deer meatloaf with smashed pota-ta's!

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Ratty

Git me some ven-i-son! And a little to-bas-co!

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
wow, this thread is going downhill fast.
So's the site.
Wait till March. Right now, hope still flickers. I check in once in a while for the CBA thread, and the Europe stats.

It's ovah.

Sam the Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:14 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Git me some ven-i-son! And a little to-bas-co!
I think there's a reason venison isn't carried as a regular product in US supermarkets. It ain't that good!

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Fenway

vCash: 700
update

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...xDN/story.html

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Come on guys... you all know there's a special board for political talk. We let a lot of borderline stuff stand in this thread but it's really degenerating now.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote