11-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
To me, my priorities go (skip down a step if tied):
1) BPA
2) Top end skill (we have a lot of bottom6 guys but need more top6 skill guys)
3) Organizational needs (RW and LD and maybe another top6 C to not put eggs in one basket)

If we need to trade up for those, lets do it... but if we can be bright with those 2nd picks we may even score better.

The organization has done well picking guys that fell to third or fourth rounds but were expected to go much higher originally and fell due to "shiny new toy" end of the season risers pushing them aside (examples: Kosmachuk, Lowry, Telegin and Olsen were all considered late 1st-mid 2nd rounders at mid-season). If we could catch some early-mid 1st rounders that fall instead of taking a chance on a "shiny new toy" *cough* Sutter *cough* I don't think a trade up is needed... but may help!
Kosmachuk is the only one you listed that was considered a late 1st-mid 2nd rounder BTW. The others were all mid round projections. It's not always a good idea to select sliders either IMO. If we used that type of draft understanding then we probably would have draft Kabanov(2010) Pulkkinen(2010), Galiev(2010), Ambroz(2011), Ebert(2012), etc. I'm not saying that those players won't make the NHL either, but most fell due to character issues, which the Jets brass ranks very highly. All were considered 1st's-mid 2nd's at mid season during their draft years. I understand what you mean by the shiny new toy, but it's usually easier to evaluate a player when you've seen more of his work IMO.

BTW I was high on Kosmachuk long before we drafted him and really disliked the Sutter pick.

Last edited by Paradise: 11-15-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Paradise, what do you think of Nurse? I admit to only putting his name out there based on what I've read. I haven't seen him play.

I was just trying to think of a guy that Grind and Hansen Brother were talking about (big, tough, lefty D man).

Old
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
If anything trade down to get more picks. Not a big fan of trading picks to move up unless its for a superstar

Old
11-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Paradise, what do you think of Nurse? I admit to only putting his name out there based on what I've read. I haven't seen him play.

I was just trying to think of a guy that Grind and Hansen Brother were talking about (big, tough, lefty D man).
I like him as a prospect. He's still a bit raw, but one of the best d-men defensively. Scouts questioned his offensive ability and he's seemed to answer some of those questions with positive results. Could turnout in a few years to be a home run pick if he continues his improved development. As it stands right now, he's probably a top 20 pick.

The other big D-man is Nikita Zadorov, 6'5" 228lbs. He's played in the SSS, game 3, the 2-1 Russia win over the OHL. He could be the top defensive D-man in this draft. A true shutdown D. Good shot, good first pass and uses his body to be very physical. His point total's won't wow you, but that's because he seldom receives PP time playing in London. Hopefully he plays tonight vs. the WHL, so we can get another viewing of him.

Last edited by Paradise: 11-15-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added info
Old
11-15-2012, 02:59 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Kosmachuk is the only one you listed that was considered a late 1st-mid 2nd rounder BTW. The others were all mid round projections. It's not always a good idea to select sliders either IMO. If we used that type of draft understanding then we probably would have draft Kabanov(2010) Pulkkinen(2010), Galiev(2010), Ambroz(2011), Ebert(2012), etc. I'm not saying that those players won't make the NHL either, but most fell due to character issues, which the Jets brass ranks very highly. All were considered 1st's-mid 2nd's at mid season during their draft years. I understand what you mean by the shiny new toy, but it's usually easier to evaluate a player when you've seen more of his work IMO.

BTW I was high on Kosmachuk long before we drafted him and really disliked the Sutter pick.
Throughout the year some of them were a lot higher. Olsen was considered 51 in Oct looking at consensus made by Copper and Blue (combining Bob McKenzie, ISS, Scouting Report, Button and Future Considerations). Lowry fell through the year due to mono. Telegin with Russian factor.

I didn't mean the rankings just before the draft but talking about throughout the year and obviously there are some that fall for good reason... But this is all probably a wasted post, sinceI think you know what I meant when I mean the ones that fall due to "shiny new toy" syndrome, not for legitimate reasons/concerns.

I just meant some people fall for a reason but some don't actually have a good reason, and those are the ones to capitalize on if they are BPA.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:00 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
If anything trade down to get more picks. Not a big fan of trading picks to move up unless its for a superstar
There's only so many prospects you can have signed at one time. There is such thing as too much, so TNSE would have to balance that.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

2 things

Quote:
Throughout the year some of them were a lot higher. Olsen was considered 51 in Oct looking at consensus made by Copper and Blue (combining Bob McKenzie, ISS, Scouting Report, Button and Future Considerations). Lowry fell through the year due to mono. Telegin with Russian factor.

I didn't mean the rankings just before the draft but talking about throughout the year and obviously there are some that fall for good reason... But this is all probably a wasted post, sinceI think you know what I meant when I mean the ones that fall due to "shiny new toy" syndrome, not for legitimate reasons/concerns.

I just meant some people fall for a reason but some don't actually have a good reason, and those are the ones to capitalize on if they are BPA.
totallly agree with this, these are the fallers you should be targeting (not skaters who have "fallen", but more so skaters who have been "passed"). This is what it seems we have been doing, and if two of the three (Lowry, Kosmo, Tele) turn into full time players our record in 3rd/4th round will look fantastic (vs statistical expectation). Obviously true north has shown an aversion to any sort of "questionable" player qualities what so ever so i have no concerns about them gambling on young "head case" that's just not their style.

Quote:
There's only so many prospects you can have signed at one time. There is such thing as too much, so TNSE would have to balance that.
not to mention the rate of return (statistically, so YMMV) does not drop off steadily and is really a gamble in all rounds after the second.

based on 1990's drafting, about 63% of first round picks become "career" nhl'ers, or play more then 200 games in the show, and 50-60% of those play 500 +.

the drop off from the first round to the second round is intense, it drops to approx 25% chance of playing 200 games if taken in the second round.

from the 3rd to the 7th its statistically a crap shoot: so few picks make it that they could almost all be from the same round.

so really, the only place it seems to make sense to trade back in, is the later rounds. if you can flip a fifth for a 6th and a 7th you might as well, but in general, the odds definitely favor trading up into tthe first to rounds, and back from the middle two (4th-fifth)

Old
11-15-2012, 04:49 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Quote:
Right now the Jets currently have the least amount of players under Nhl contracts in the league.

The Jets currently have 40 players under contract ( as per cap geek) . I believe they are allowed 50 Nhl contracts.

The next lowest team NYL has 43 players under contract Coldorado and San Jose have 44 players under contract, Washington and Anaaheim have 45

23 teams have over 47+ players under contract......Ottawa 51 ? Buffalo 52? and Dallas 53? ...as per cap geek. ( I dont Know how these 3 teams are allowed more than 50 ?)

Last edited by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17: 11-15-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 05:00 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
Right now the Jets currently have the least amount of players under Nhl contracts in the league.

The Jets currently have 40 players under contract ( as per cap geek) . I believe they are allowed 50 Nhl contracts.

The next lowest team NYL has 43 players under contract Coldorado and San Jose have 44 players under contract, Washington and Anaaheim have 45

23 teams have over 47 players under contract......Ottawa 51 ? Buffalo 52? and Dallas 53? ...as per cap geek. ( I dont Know how these 3 teams are allowed more than 50 ?)
Of all our current prospects

2011 chl draft picks have to be sisigned june 2013
-Zack yuen
-Dave Lowery
-Austen Brassard

2012 Chl draft picks need to be signed by june 2014
-luke Sutter
-Scot Kosmachuk
-R Olson

The only college prospect I see signing is Jacob Trouba and Brendan Serville is not progressing very quickly ( IMHO)

I think the Cupboard is a little bare from our Atlanta years and we need to trade Hainsey and maybe some other pending UFAs at the deadline if we are out of it ... Hainsey for sure another 2nd and 3rd in this deep draft would be awesome

Old
11-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Unlike oduya last year I think we have no way to replace hainsys minutes internally his season if we trade home at the deadline. That does concern me come deadline e if were in the mix, because I think trading him could really take us out of it, unless some players show remarkable improvement or we acquire a younger replacement

Old
11-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

23 teams have over 47+ players under contract......Ottawa 51 ? Buffalo 52? and Dallas 53? ...as per cap geek. ( I dont Know how these 3 teams are allowed more than 50 ?)
Signed junior aged players (18-19) returned to their teams (CHL, Jr A, Europe) do not count towards their contract limit. So for us, Mark Scheifele does not count as a contract against the Jets for this year or last.

Quote:
Of all our current prospects

2011 chl draft picks have to be sisigned june 2013
-Zack yuen
-Dave Lowery
-Austen Brassard

2012 Chl draft picks need to be signed by june 2014
-luke Sutter
-Scot Kosmachuk
-R Olson

The only college prospect I see signing is Jacob Trouba and Brendan Serville is not progressing very quickly ( IMHO)

I think the Cupboard is a little bare from our Atlanta years and we need to trade Hainsey and maybe some other pending UFAs at the deadline if we are out of it ... Hainsey for sure another 2nd and 3rd in this deep draft would be awesome
Those are the CHL picks. Lowry and Yuen will get contracts no problem, IMO, as will likely Sutter and Kosmachuk. Toss up for Brassard and Olsen, right now I bank no on both, but we'll see. For CHL, Vinny Saporani needs to be signed by Aug 15, 2013, but I agree he is unlikely. Both Jordan Samuels-Thomas and Yasin Cisse have outside chances at contracts as well, due Aug 15, 2014. The Aug 15, 2015 crowd includes Aaron Harstad, Peter Stoykewych and Brennan Serville, little early to be projecting them, but all have mediocre to decent chances at securing a contract. The Aug 15, 2016 ones are Tanner Lane, Jacob Trouba, Jason Kasdorf, Jamie Phillips, Connor Hellyebucyk, much too early to say on any of them, although I'd only bet that Trouba and one of the goalies end up with contracts.

But the fact is, we have too many picks in this draft already. You cannot restock a system in one draft, since then you have too many players at the same age, which will create problems 2-3 years down the road when they face the bottleneck moving into the NHL-AHL system. That's where you get problems with contracts, roster spots, etc. Jets already have 6 picks in the first 91, even if only 4 of those get contracts you likely have 1-3 from the last 4 rounds getting a deal as well, all at the same time, you are introducing too many players at the same time. There is no room to add more picks at this time, IMO. You need quality selections(first rounders), or selections from further down the road(2014+).

And really the cupboard is not as bare as many make it out to be. It's just that many of the youngsters in the system are already in the NHL. It makes it look artificially bare. There is quality youth in the system, it just happens that there was little actual skill so it mostly got forced into top level very fast.

All this, we must deal away all talent for picks attitude, it will get us NOWHERE. This team has languished at the bottom of the standings for far too long, we need to start making progress, 2/3 round picks are not going to be making an impact for 2-4 years, not a huge impact until 3-5 years down the road. That is far far too long, if the team is waiting on that they are doomed, since are core talent will have moved on by then. Another extra 2/3 rounder this year would do nothing (except perhaps cause problems down the line), a playoff berth would be beyond instrumental in learning to win for the young guys like Little, Burmistrov, Bogosian, Kane, Pavelec, etc. Time to step up, we are not an expansion team, this team CANNOT languish and wait for talent, the window to improve with this core will not be open much longer.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

https://www.isshockey.com/scouting/news?news_id=64

ISS Top 30 NHL Draft Eligible Players 11/15/12

1 - MacKinnon, Nathan - C - Halifax - QMJHL
2 - Jones, Seth - D - Portland - WHL
3 - Barkov, Sasha - F - Tappara - FinE
4 - Drouin, Jonathan - F - Halifax - QMJHL
5 - Monahan, Sean - C - Ottawa - OHL
6 - Lazar, Curtis - C - Edmonton - WHL
7 - Shinkaruk, Hunter - F - Medicine Hat - WHL
8 - Ristolainen, Rasmus - D - TPS Turku - FinE
9 - Nurse, Darnell - D - S.S. Marie - OHL
10- Lindholm, Elias - C - Brynas - SweE
11- Burakowsky, Andre - F - Malmo - SweAl
12- Nichushkin, Valery - F - Chelyabinsk Chelmet - RusS
13- Lehkonen, Artturi - F - Kuopio - FinE
14- Dickinson, Jason - F - Guelph - OHL
15- Pulock, Ryan - D - Brandon - WHL
16- Santini, Steve - D - USA U18 - NTDP
17- Hagg, Robert - D - Modo - SweJE
18- Erne, Adam- F - Quebec - QMJHL
19- Zadorov, Nikita - D - London - OHL
20- Rychel, Kerby - F - Windsor - OHL
21- De La Rose, Jacob - C - Leksands - SweAl
22- Thompson, Keaton - D - USA U18 - NTDP
23- Kujawinski, Ryan - C - Kingston - OHL
24- Fasching, Hudson - F - USA U18 - NTDP
25- Morrissey, JT - D - Prince Albert - WHL
26- Gauthier, Frederik - C - Rimouski - QMJHL
27- Crus-Rydberg, Viktor - C - Linkoping - SweJE
28- Theodore, Shea - D - Seattle - WHL
29- Compher, JT - C - USA U18 - NTDP
30- McCoshen, Ian - D - Waterloo - USHL

Old
11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Holden: so you feel that the Jets should be looking at packaging players and picks for upgrades to compete in the next year or 2, as the current players hit their peaks? Given how many 2nd and 3rd round picks the Jets possess in the next draft, that would still leave them with a few selections in those rounds, if an appropriate deal could be made.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Holden: so you feel that the Jets should be looking at packaging players and picks for upgrades to compete in the next year or 2, as the current players hit their peaks? Given how many 2nd and 3rd round picks the Jets possess in the next draft, that would still leave them with a few selections in those rounds, if an appropriate deal could be made.
I feel right now we should be looking a real balanced approach right now. I disagree that we should be fire saleing by dealing Hainsey, Antropov, Ponikarovsky etc for yet more 2nd to 4th round picks. With a 2nd rounder your looking at around a 25% chance you come up with an impact NHLer (top 9 fwd, top 5 D) at best, 3-4 years down the road. The team needs to start taking steps forward now to help the young core.

I do NOT advocate selling the farm at the current time. I think we are sitting very well in terms of picks, and the farm is being built nice and slowly. But we are not right now at the start, or even in the middle of rebuild. We should be starting to come out of the rebuild. There is little need to be going out and throwing money around that might be used elsewhere down the road, or selling off young assets for immediate help, but there is equally little need to sell valuable players for marginal young assets. Core veteran guys like Hainsey and Antropov can be very valuable for the leadership and talent to take us into playoffs. This year, and next year we should be a borderline playoff team (7-9 this year, 5-8 next year), likely to lose first round.

If we start selling assets like Antropov and Hainsey off, we end up back in the bottom of the standings and by the time we might see any results from the 2nd to 4th round picks we would get for them, the core of this team will be moving on, IMO. So right now, we should not be selling picks, nor talent, IMO. Antropov and Hainsey are guys like Handzus and Scuderi for the Kings. Signed at the peak of the rebuild, these guys lasted the tough times and helped LA climb out of the basement with solid leadership and effective if unspectacular play. In 2-3 years, when we have the talent to replace them, or have the resources to look elsewhere, they can move on.

Now, that being said there is always exceptions. If you can get a first round pick for Antropov/Hainsey, you probably have to take it. You'd have to feel the market out.

Thing is though, if this core cannot make playoffs this year, then struggles at all in 13-14, you might need to start looking to torpedo the whole core. This group has languished at the bottom of the standings for far too long. We need to start making improvements, they will not be made by selling players, and it will not be intact long enough for the Jets to suddenly decide to sell everyone for another rebuild while trying to hold onto our core assets. Honestly I am ok if the Jets wanted to completely rebuild, but if they don't (and they have shown that they clearly do not want to go that direction) they need to start making progress with this core now, not in 3-4 years, since we will have no chance of holding onto this group that long. It's not ok to have guys like Kane, Pavelec, Ladd, Little, Bogosian hung out to dry for the next 2-4 years while they wait for reinforcements, those guys will not be in Jets uniforms if that is the case.

This is why I LOVED our off season so much, we made all the right moves going forward with the plan I thought we should be taking. Honestly this lockout might be the absolute WORST thing for the Jets franchise, this was a KEY year moving forward with this team. It might kill any chance we had with this core of guys. At very least, if we lose the season, it makes 13-14 a beyond huge year, since a failure to make playoffs in that year will pretty much end any chance of competing with these guys, IMO.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Holden, I don't think there is a single word written by you there that I could possibly disagree with. You and I are on identical pages on this topic.

11-16-2012, 12:57 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Holden, I don't think there is a single word written by you there that I could possibly disagree with. You and I are on identical pages on this topic.
Agreed with both. For people against think about this...
Let's consider a rebuild getting two top5 picks in a three year span, where the start of the rebuild is the first year you get a top5 pick. If that is the case, then we have been rebuilding for one year less than the Kings. Look:

PIT - 2002 - 5 top5 picks
CAR - 2003 - 3 top5 picks
WAS - 2004 - 3 top5 picks
CHI - 2004 - 3 top5 picks
PHO - 2004 - 2 top5 picks
StL - 2006 - 2 top5 picks
LAK - 2007 - 3 top5 picks
ATL - 2008 - 2 top5 picks
NYI - 2008 - 5 top5 picks
COL - 2009 - 3 top5 picks
EDM - 2010 - 3 top5 picks
FLO - 2010 - 2 top5 picks

Old
11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
jetkarma

I think the lockout helps the Jets as I have mentioned previously.

The Jets have not cut back on scouting but put more focus on it , that is a strong plus imo. Having Charlie Huddy scout defensemen is a positive , having Pascal Vincent scout his home turf and stomping grounds in Quebec is a big plus. Just two examples.

Plus if the lockout ensues and the season is lost the chance for a high draft slot increases and while we may not get a top 3 pick , this years draft is very strong and deep so a high draft pick should produce a very good draft choice.

I believe the added picks with the added scouting is something the Jets organization will profit by , I am not worried about too many picks at all . Lower picks will generally incubate longer and some may be going the US University route ala Trouba and Serville.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I have to agree, there's no such thing as "too many picks" unless you see them all to maturation. Good picks are a very tradeable asset.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I have to agree, there's no such thing as "too many picks" unless you see them all to maturation. Good picks are a very tradeable asset.
Disagree. When you have too many players coming into the pro game at the same time, you have a logjam. You would then get talented players playing 3/4 line in AHL, or even sent to ECHL...which will completely kill any possible value they will have. This is even more prominent with a farm team like St. John's which wants to win games, therefore they WILL be using their veteran spots all up, thereby forcing players down even further. The guy might be talented, but will never have the chance to prove it. They would have no chance of advancement in the organization, no chance to increase their value, they end up having to move on to find a chance...and no team is going to pay you to give them that chance.

You never bank on them all becoming top end players, but fact is you only have so many developmental spots. And players that have proven nothing, are worth nothing.

People are talking about adding ANOTHER 2nd and 3rd pick to this draft. Let's think this through for one second. That would be 5 picks in the top 61, 8 in the top 91, and 12 in the draft. Based on current drafting treads from the team, you are looking at likely 9-10 picks out of the CHL. All needing to turn pro in 14-15/15-16 depending on age. Out of the 5 in the top 61, you expect all of those to be signed and playing AHL hockey. I'd say you'd expect 2 of the 3rd rounders to be signed, and 1-2 of the late rounders.

Let's look at 15-16, so all the 2013 picks are going junior (except 2 college players, but again if those college players are 1/2 round picks they will be in their as well, as most top round college players only play 1-2 years college). Let's say 6 players on the low side turning pro out of this draft in 15-16 (or are 1 year of AHL under them, still new pros). Now remember that there is an additional 1-2 coming from the 2014 draft (remember late birthdays only need one year junior before turning pro). So let's add just 1 there. Remember that we still have college aged Harstad, Stoykewych, Serville looking to turn pro that year. So be conservative, just 1 gets signed. From the 2012 draft, we have Sutter, Kosmachuk, Olsen who are only 1 year into AHL service, let's say Olsen is left unsigned.

That's an influx of 11 players onto the AHL roster RIGHT THERE, half the roster overturned in one year all with a year or less AHL experience, with another crop of 4-5 rookies coming in the next year. That's NOT including guys who still be 21-23 years old and therefore legitimate prospects in Lowry, Yuen, Melchiori, Klingberg, O'Dell, etc who'll have 2-4 years AHL experience or any college/CHL undrafted FA's, of which there are lots of good prospects. And that's the worst case scenario, that your drafting was terrible. You cannot possibly have enough icetime for these prospects to develop, therefore killing any possible value. You will have to give up on them and ship them out for nothing, or hold on to them while they ruin their development chances. Remember that St. John's will always have their 7 veterans gunning for a championship as well, that's how they are, this is not going to be an ideal development only squad like Grand Rapids or Manchester.

You need to space out your draft selections to ensure the best system which has a constant steady stream of prospects to develop and help move onto the team. It is not good to have 12-15 picks in one draft, it creates too many problems. If the Jets do end up acquiring more picks for this draft they should be shipping them out for later years or packaging them to acquire more quality than quantity, IMO, 10 picks is plenty in any one draft.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

If we are way out by the deadline, you may as well trade hainsey, and such for draft picks rather then lose them for nothing.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

"Maturation" meant before they hit AHL age. Not all of the picks will take a linear path.

I do agree with you on getting later (but higher up) draft picks. If we trade Hainsey or Antropov before the deadline when we're out of the playoff picture, I wouldn't mind 2014 picks.

You also have to consider those picks can be traded for our needs as well. You are right our system cannot handle a flood of draft picks coming in, but it certainly isn't stocked with high end talent like other teams.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
"Maturation" meant before they hit AHL age. Not all of the picks will take a linear path.

I do agree with you on getting later (but higher up) draft picks. If we trade Hainsey or Antropov before the deadline when we're out of the playoff picture, I wouldn't mind 2014 picks.

You also have to consider those picks can be traded for our needs as well. You are right our system cannot handle a flood of draft picks coming in, but it certainly isn't stocked with high end talent like other teams.
My main point is, if we are out of the playoff picture there is serious problems that trading Hainsey and Antropov will not fix at all. If this core at this point cannot compete with this roster, we may as well blow up the whole thing and try again.

And prospects are generally not traded before they hit pro unless they are packaged for a proven player (ie Esposito as part of the Hossa trade) or refuse to sign (ie Tim Erixon to NYR). Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Rundblad to OTT one year after his draft for an equivalent pick, but I gotta think that you won't get fair value trying to trade a 2nd rounder one year removed from his draft.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I'm not saying it's a "fix" but rather a good move overall, just like moving Oduya was last year. Especially if they don't want to extend their contracts for a reasonable amount. In fact I'd be disappointed in Chevy if we didn't make the playoffs, didn't extend either of them, and just lose them at free agency. Ryan Suter anyone?

I have a high opinion of Chevy with team management moving forward. I also like his drafting. In fact I can't think of anything negative he's done except maybe for the Aliu - Negrin trade which may not amount to anything anyways.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Huffer

I agree with your reasoning Holden. But with a couple of caveats:

1) Getting a pick for a guy who is 100% not going to resign, and when you are not going to make the playoffs seems like a good move to me. This would be the "get something for nothing clause". Of course you need to A) speak to the player and know for sure that he's not coming back, and B) be far enough out of the playoff race that trading the player for a pick doesn't cause a bubble team to fall out of the race and have the team thinking you are not trying to win.

2) Not all players drafted need to be held on to until they get to the AHL / NHL. I would guess that we could always deal a pick from the 2013 draft in 2-3 years or so if we have the good fortune of too many guys all being AHL quality.

From the 2009 draft Kassian, Rundblad, Ashton, Morin, Dumoulin, and Eakin are all examples of guys that were either traded before either playing in the NHL at all, or before making much of an NHL impact.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:16 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I'll talk first and second round since after its confusing, but I'm guessing we'll be in top ten if its a lockout for the year,

If we have second-seventh overall, take Jones or Drouin, more likely Drouin since he is amazing, and with our second rounders, I'd say if they're there, potentially Madison Bowey since hes a Winnipegger and has potential to be a top four defenseman, other than him, Eric Roy, Saku Salminen and Lukas Wallmark aren't bad ideas.

Closed Thread