HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Leduc will never make it to the NHL, he was a dumb pick by people who were trying to show the NHL how smart they were.
Bold statement at this point.

I know nothing about the guy. I have that feeling the Isles took him where they did for the same reason they took guys like Anders Nilsson where they did.

Don't know what the reason is myself, but I think it has little to do with trying to show the hockey world how smart they are, at least from the 3rd round on up. I have stated more than enough times what I felt about the de Haan pick and what they went through to make that happen. That gave me that "we know it better than the rest of the league" feeling.

Will be interesting to see where Leduc's at when he's 21/22/23, but like you, I'm not expecting much at this point.

Quote:
The same smart people who took Jason Clark in the 3rd round and Cody Rosen.
Jankowski was still a vital element of that drafting staff. I'm sure most all of us continue to think that his immediate dismissal with little ado had much to do with the latter three picks in that draft, if not the Rosen situation in and of itself.

As for Clark, I thought he looked pretty good in the prospect camp scrimmages this summer, but that said, he's been an absolute nothing of a pick. That the team signed him had me wondering if they weren't on to something for some reason? That he however has only suited up for one game with BPort and none in the ECHL really has to make one wonder what the heck is going on there.

What's so bitter for me personally is that Germany had a couple of kids that summer who I was extremely high on as mid-rounders with real possibilities and they were still on the board. When Clark was taken, I was crossing my fingers that the Isles would take Tom Kuhnhackl (who some felt would go top 60). When Dehart was taken, I was literally praying that we'd grab a guy by the name of Konrad Abeltshauser. These two are definitely the two German boys I've felt the best about since Erhoff and Seidenberg went as mid-rounders back in the day (and Tobias Rieder as well as Leon Draisaitl are worth keeping an eye on in the future as well).

That said, there's still no telling if either of those two will be an NHLer, much less an effective one, and I didn't know anything about Clark and Dehart, so I won't pretend to have been questioning Isles brass after that draft. Nonetheless, I did have a feeling that we had missed out on a couple of kids who were as good a shot as any at that stage in the draft.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-15-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old
11-15-2012, 08:37 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Knitpicking a bit, but Clark actually went in the 4th. Kabanov was our 3rd rounder.
82nd overall, 3rd round. I think that was Phoenix's pick.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
82nd overall, 3rd round. I think that was Phoenix's pick.
Yep, had caught that myself and tried to quickly correct my post before anyone would catch it.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

REMINDER: This is the Bridgeport Thread. Any further discussion about Leduc or other prospects should be discussed in the Prospects Thread. Let's get back on topic. Thanks.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Anyone know if the Port Jefferson ferry has a deal with the SoundTigers? Is there a way to package BST tickets and walkon ferry tickets?

Old
11-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Yes. Call PortJeff Ferry. If you are an Isles season ticket holder, call a rep first and explain you are dying to see hockey and can take the portjeff ferry to bport; you may get hooked up if you play your cards right. I am not saying they will cover everything but they might accomodate you somewhat/somehow.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:12 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Blinkman, a homerun swing actually means that there is a distinct possibility that something good could come of the situation. BUT, there is not one positive in the Leduc situation. He was never even thought of as a player that was going to be drafted, I bet even he was shocked being drafted, let alone being picked at the top of the 4th round. A defenseman, he was -9 in 4 playoff games. That's almost impossible to do, even if you tried to do it on purpose. An alleged 6'5" fighter, who went to the Dale Rolfe school of fighting, basically gets his head handed to him every fight.

Leduc was the 209 rated skater in Central Scouting, and lets not forget, CS does not include European skaters in their list, they are rated separately. So Leduc would probably be rated in the 300 range. We took him 104th overall. I wouldn't call this taking a home-run swing, I'd call this meekingly flailing at strike 3, or striking out looking. A home-run swing would have been someone like Gemel Smith or Anton Zlobin, at least you have a chance at possibly connecting.

Leduc will never make it to the NHL, he was a dumb pick by people who were trying to show the NHL how smart they were. The same smart people who took Jason Clark in the 3rd round and Cody Rosen.
This is a good post and certainly based in fact. I don't think Leduc is going to amount to anything, but I do remember a similar, or worse, uproar when in the 3rd round of the 1996 draft the Isles some 6'9 giant from Solvakia who's most notable visual scouting report was literally a video tape he made of himself taking slap shots....

Let's just see how things turn out, I mean if you had told me Frans Nielson or Andrew McDonald would be as good as they are now even two years after they were drafted I would have told you to stop watching hockey.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:14 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
i dont think a poor mans hall gill would have a place in the nhl
Amazing line and literally what I was thinking.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
NyIsles19

Does anyone know of any safe website(im at work) to watch a stream of the game tonight?

Old
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
I saw the pic of Kabanov's arm, now that he has the cast off.
Anyone know when he is scheduled, to come back into the lineup ?

Old
11-16-2012, 05:34 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyIsles19 View Post
Does anyone know of any safe website(im at work) to watch a stream of the game tonight?
For some reason, it seems that there is never a Bridgeport stream. You can go to AHL Live and listen to it on the radio if you want.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Original Rob

I am debating whether to go ahead and buy the AHL Live package for $199 right now. I just need somebody to convince me to do it... can anybody comment on the quality of the video streams from this service??

Old
11-16-2012, 07:03 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post
I am debating whether to go ahead and buy the AHL Live package for $199 right now. I just need somebody to convince me to do it... can anybody comment on the quality of the video streams from this service??
I'll refer you to this thread about the stream quality.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1270975
I'm not going to be buying it even if the lockout takes the whole season. Just doesn't seem worth the money given the quality. Although, if you like to watch games and AHL is your thing, then it might be worth it for you.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I'll refer you to this thread about the stream quality.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1270975
I'm not going to be buying it even if the lockout takes the whole season. Just doesn't seem worth the money given the quality. Although, if you like to watch games and AHL is your thing, then it might be worth it for you.
Thx for the quick reply. I didn't realize you could purchase one game, so that's what I did - seven bucks. I'll be able to make my own assessment after tonight.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
StumpNYI

How many games so far this year have they let in a goal in the first minute? Geez...

EDIT: 1:32...Close enough

Old
11-16-2012, 07:20 PM
kuwo

stream :

http://atdhenet.tv/52559/watch-bridg...s-w-b-scranton

no sound for me however

Edit : Beautiful PP...

Old
11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
stream :

no sound for me however

Just came to post this. Watching the feed and listening to the radio off of AHL Live and it is pretty close.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:57 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Brock Nelson is a special player, I've been saying it for a couple years now. I'm surprised he's stayed so under the radar considering how similar prospects from other systems have gotten much more hype. He's got every tool you want to see in a top prospect, he just needs some seasoning. Fantastic hands on this kid.
I completely agree. 'Been looking forward to his joining the main team since his draft. He could be the most important addition out of Strome, Nino, etc.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:01 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
stream :

no sound for me however

It wanted to download "ilivid" to stream the game.

My virusware reports Ilivid is a significant threat to your computer.

Just saying.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:08 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It wanted to download "ilivid" to stream the game.

My virusware reports Ilivid is a significant threat to your computer.

Just saying.
I didn't have anything with "ilivid" at all. Are you sure it wasn't an advertisement? For the first 20 secs an ad should pop up.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Anyone going to the game today?

Old
11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Anyone going to the game today?
First game of the year for me.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
NyIsles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
First game of the year for me.
same here

2 questions:

1. Will i have any problem getting tickets there?

2. How are the sightlines for the 18 dollar seats at the top, as good as NVMC??

Old
11-17-2012, 02:56 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
same here

2 questions:

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I've never had an issue with buying tickets right at the box office.

The higher up sections are still very good. You can see pretty much everything. It's not a very tall arena.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Tavares2Hall

Quote:
same here

2 questions:

I go all the time. I buy the cheapest seats in the house and then I go and sit in the first few rows at the first TV timeout. I've never had an issue.

Closed Thread