HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Albany Devils Games

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

vCash: 500
I think this team needs to practice shootouts in practice. They have some similarities of last year's NHL Devils early in the season. Only reverse with shootouts. The Devils were winning many of their games by shootout early last season. This team has been losing a few games by shootout in the last week. I kinda had a feeling if they tied it up they would just be getting a point. That's why I really wanted to see them win in OT.

I also love how Albany's PP is so non existent, when they took a penalty on the PP yesterday, they scored a 4 on 4 goal immediately after. They also seemed to be getting a PP yesterday before Larsson's goal, but then it looked like it was coincidental minors. Then Larsson scored!

Old
11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I like having Larsson in the shootout. Not because I think he's the best option or anything, but because I think it's good experience.
Experience for what? I don't think he's likely to see shootout action at the NHL level, and how often do defencemen get breakaways in game action?

I guess scoring on a shootout attempt would be good for his confidence, but otherwise I don't see the purpose of it.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

D men just really don't work in shootouts. Niedermayer probably could have. By the way did he take shootouts in Anaheim? I can't remember. I remember Toronto trying it with Kaberle a few times, and Nashville with Zidlicky.

When was the last time a Devil defenseman was in a shootout? It had to be that long shootout against the Thrashers back in 08. Marty vs Moose. It went like 8 or 9 rounds, and we used Rachunek. Not sure if it's been done since by us. Or before for that matter.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Experience for what? I don't think he's likely to see shootout action at the NHL level, and how often do defencemen get breakaways in game action?

I guess scoring on a shootout attempt would be good for his confidence, but otherwise I don't see the purpose of it.
Putting him in pressure situations, breakaways, making him think about offense, building up his confidence...

Old
11-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Putting him in pressure situations, breakaways, making him think about offense, building up his confidence...
Yeah I agree with this. The advantages might be arguable, but I can't think of any possible disadvantages.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
D men just really don't work in shootouts. Niedermayer probably could have. By the way did he take shootouts in Anaheim? I can't remember. I remember Toronto trying it with Kaberle a few times, and Nashville with Zidlicky.

When was the last time a Devil defenseman was in a shootout? It had to be that long shootout against the Thrashers back in 08. Marty vs Moose. It went like 8 or 9 rounds, and we used Rachunek. Not sure if it's been done since by us. Or before for that matter.
The Penguins use Letang as their first shooter in the shootout normally. He is at something like 30% for his career.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
The Penguins use Letang as their first shooter in the shootout normally. He is at something like 30% for his career.
Alright that's a good example I guess. Most D men though are just different kinds of shooters. Letang does have certain element that makes him good in the shootout. Let's face it though no one is shooting from the circle in the shootout like most D men would! It's probably happened though, so anything is more than possible.

One of the annoying things about Rolston in the shootout was he would always fire a slapshot back in the early days of the shootout when he was with Minnesota. He wasn't even a D man, but he sometimes thought he was on the point on a PP during a shootout! I don't remember him scoring much on it though. It gives the goalie time to prepare to stop it from that far out!

Old
11-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Yeah I agree with this. The advantages might be arguable, but I can't think of any possible disadvantages.
Albany winning fewer games that are decided by shootout? Of course, we don't much care about that, but the coaching staff might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Larsson isn't really that kind of defenceman though. He has enough offensive skill to chip in with a goal every now and then, but I think the overwhelming majority of his points will be assists, especially if he plays on the PP. I don't see him having reliable shootout moves.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Perhaps this team needs more Zharkov? He did score like 20+ goals last year in the AHL right? I know he's gone now to the KHL, and I really don't know how he's doing. Gelinas had a chunk of scoring last year, and Whitney made up a good chunk, but I don't think Whitney has a goal this year yet outside of the shootout. I'm not sure he's played every game either though.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:

We used Scotty. I imagine Fowler will see more opportunities there in the future.

Jack Johnson was also used across town in all of the Kings shootouts.

I think it depends on the toolkit more than it does the position.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
We used Scotty. I imagine Fowler will see more opportunities there in the future.

Jack Johnson was also used across town in all of the Kings shootouts.

I think it depends on the toolkit more than it does the position.
You're right, and I figured there was more D men in shootouts than I would have thought at first. We'd have to see some more Larsson to get a better picture of how he would be in a shootout. Only a year of watching him play isn't enough.

I remember Paul Martin getting a breakaway goal for us once!

Old
11-14-2012, 09:08 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
I remember Paul Martin getting a breakaway goal for us once!

Old
11-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Zippy316

Albany plays at St. Johns tonight at 7:30. All the IceCaps games are broadcasted on TV so even if we don't find a feed (we should though), it's likely the IceCaps game is somewhere.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Albany plays at St. Johns tonight at 7:30. All the IceCaps games are broadcasted on TV so even if we don't find a feed (we should though), it's likely the IceCaps game is somewhere.
Just wanted to note it's actually 6:00 PM our time. We're an hour, and a half behind them! I always knew there was one time zone in far eastern Canada an hour ahead of us! Not two though, with one being 90 minutes ahead!

Old
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Just wanted to note it's actually 6:00 PM our time. We're an hour, and a half behind them! I always knew there was one time zone in far eastern Canada an hour ahead of us! Not two though, with one being 90 minutes ahead!
That's upsetting, I'm going to be working for most of it. Might catch the last period though. 730 would've been perfect, I would've only missed 20-25 minutes.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
That's upsetting, I'm going to be working for most of it. Might catch the last period though. 730 would've been perfect, I would've only missed 20-25 minutes.
Yeah tomorrow night at 6:00 PM our time too I believe. That trip for an AHL team has gotta be as bad as the southeast teams commuting to Winnipeg that many times a year. It's what I'm assuming is the only plane trip they take a year. It's obvious why when they go there, they play 2 straight games back to back there too.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:22 PM
VaxjoDevil

This might work, we'll see:

http://www.usagoals.com/live/259652-...ivo/tv/gratis/

Old
11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I remember when Buffalo used Tallinder in the shootout against us and he made Marty look silly.

Alex Edler was 4/8 last year. Kulikov, Letang, Shattenkirk, and Burns got quite a few shootout attempts last year too.

I was always curious to see how Rafalski would do in the shootout.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I remember when Buffalo used Tallinder in the shootout against us and he made Marty look silly.
LOL I remember this too. I might be wrong, but wasn't he the first ever defenseman to score in the shootout after that goal? Man Marty has been good for a lot of first ever goals for many players. Wouldn't surprise me if the first ever defenseman to score in an NHL shootout scored on him too haha.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
I miss Martin, but not at his current price tag but we talked that to death by now

Old
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
VaxjoDevil

Edit.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Parise9Crosby87

martin played solid for us wish he didn't get injured so much

Old
11-16-2012, 06:28 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Radio broadcast on thisisnewfoundlandandlabrador.com

Old
11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Radio broadcast on thisisnewfoundlandandlabrador.com
Thanks a lot! I'll try to check this out, because the AHL.com one isn't working.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Zippy316

Henrique scored, and so did Jay Leach

Even more shocking, THEY SCORED A PP GOAL.

Closed Thread