HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Everybody's talking at me; I don't hear a word they're saying (CBA/Lockout XXIX)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Langdon Alger*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
Just like in 2004, after the first wave of players defecting to Europe... we're now seeing the first wave of players coming right back home once they realize just how horrible playing 2nd tier hockey in front of 3000 people a night who don't speak any English really is... not to mention having to eat strange food and sleep in the roach motel without any of their NHL staff members to wait on them hand and foot. What's the per diem in Prague?

Simmonds, Stewart, and Kane have all quit... and they won't be the last.
Of course the players shouldn't expect the Ritz if they're playing in second-tier leagues. However, I would think that, in the year 2012, a black player should be able to take for granted the fact that he will be allowed to play wherever he wants without being subjected to blatant racism.

What happened to Simmonds over there was deplorable.

Old
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Per Martin Maguire on 98.5FM in Montreal, the players training at the Bell Complex are frustrated with how things are going. Many players are trying to bring the two sides back to the negociating table.

Bettman asking for the moratorium completely crushed the morale of many players.

Fehr is apparently telling players that if they want to go any further, it's going to hurt them.

Latendresse says: "It's like, we're always telling ourselves, let's wait two weeks and see what they add to the deal, and two weeks later, we're like "Crap, we should have taken that deal from two weeks ago..."
Thats a good sign. Maybe the players will finally cave.

Old
rdawg1234

Quote:
Per Martin Maguire on 98.5FM in Montreal, the players training at the Bell Complex are frustrated with how things are going. Many players are trying to bring the two sides back to the negociating table.

Bettman asking for the moratorium completely crushed the morale of many players.

Fehr is apparently telling players that if they want to go any further, it's going to hurt them.

Latendresse says: "It's like, we're always telling ourselves, let's wait two weeks and see what they add to the deal, and two weeks later, we're like "Crap, we should have taken that deal from two weeks ago..."
First sign of the PA cracking?

Old
11-16-2012, 07:26 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I didn't know Darren Dreger was Ian White's mother. She raised a hell of a hockey player.
doesn't take a mother to realize someone has no class

Old
11-16-2012, 07:26 PM
ranold26

Dear PA, the sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll get back to work.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Ari91

Dan Boyle's comments are exactly the kind of comments I think Bettman wants to hear from the players. While they're solidarity is willing to lose pay cheques for so long, it was predictable that none of them would piss those pay cheques away with an agreement to simply not talk for the next two weeks and lose their pay cheques and more games without even talking.

If I have Bettman's intentions correctly, he's going to just sit back and fold his hands behind his desk like Mr. Burns and wait for the PA to come to him with something he determines is substantial enough to get back to talks over.

Old
wilty00

Quote:

Glorious.

That brought a massive, massive smile to my face.

Old
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post

Simmonds, Stewart, and Kane have all quit... and they won't be the last.
While your point still stands that some players are finding out how different things are, I thought Kane was released.

Also, hard to tell what Latendresse is saying without full details (for all we know his next line could've been "but we're still united"), but I wonder if Montreal will soon have a meeting with Fehr like those Minnesota players did.

Finally why would Bettman's idea of two weeks off have killed any hope for players? Daly had been saying they were not close, if they had any hope, where was it coming from?

Last edited by KaylaJ: 11-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

Just go back to 2004 and revisit history boys...it is what it is...Recchi of all people the other day, told ya, sign sooner than later...

Old
11-16-2012, 07:30 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

When guys like Latendresse are cracking, it doesn't matter to the PA. Let me know when a high profile player cracks.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:31 PM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Just go back to 2004 and revisit history boys...it is what it is...Recchi of all people the other day, told ya, sign sooner than later...
And yet they will just wait and time will pass and the season will pass. Your right they should revisit history.. but also history does repeat itself.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:

At least some players are starting to get it!

Old
11-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Shwag33

Quote:

Looks like the players are starting to fold.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Guess you weren't listening to him at the start of this lockout. He was toiling the nhlpa line, saying it isnt fair, blah balh blah
Of course he's going to say that. You can't expect the players to simply be okay with giving money back or giving anything back for that matter. What sets some of these players apart from the majority of them is that some of them can be honest about ther feelings, they can support the PA message but they can also speak with perspective on the situation. Boyle addressing his own personal concerns regarding how the lockout will affect him, addressing the 'it's my way' mentality that he says BOTH sides were using - you don't have to agree with everything he says to see that he hasn't ignored reality of the situation.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
When guys like Latendresse are cracking, it doesn't matter to the PA. Let me know when a high profile player cracks.
Tender will be getting a call from the Don...

Old
11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Freudian
Still here O'Reilly?

vCash: 102
I think it's safe to say once players starts telling the media they are tired of the situation, they have been telling each other the same thing for a while.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Players have been free to speak this entire time, yet this is somehow newsworthy.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Players have been free to speak this entire time, yet this is somehow newsworthy.
A player saying the deals havent gotten better like fehr has told them isn't newsworthy to you?

Clearly not everyone in the PA is against the NHL's proposal by this quote.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
driver3000

Quote:
Because it's different from the garbage that comes out of their mouths most of the time.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:37 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Old
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver3000 View Post
Because it's different from the garbage that comes out of their mouths most of the time.
If they agree with you, they are smart. If they disagree with you, they are stupid morons that only graduated high school because they called in a favour.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Ari91

Quote:

If that's true and Fehr thinks that the PA has finally pushed the league as far as they will be pushed, it makes me question even more the timeline set up by the PA - it seems horrible. Getting proposals to the table faster could have potentially saved a reworked 82 game season.

I'm curious to know how the PA will decide but if they do decide that now is the right time to make a deal, I hope they get to the table and offer up the linkage in exchange for some contracting requests to be stricken off the league's list. At least that's what I would do. If the PA does that and the league decides they're willing to lose the rest of the season because they want ALL of their contracting demands, then they may be a bunch of fools.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Gotaf7

vCash: 127
Quote:

To bad he did'nt tell them that back in october!!!!

Old
11-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

http://www.985sports.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=154018

The Maguire segment. In French.

"Players who've lost money in 2004 have made it all back and then some. They had no choice but changing the system in 2004." - MATHIEU DARCHE

So, I guess Fehr's line about the players having lost so much in 2004 no longer sticks if Darche doesn't parrot.

Maguire says that players feels it is time to bring new people to the table who are not as sour about the negociating process.

Fehr's leadership is not in question because he is telling them: "Guys, this is where were at...if you want to keep pushing...it's gonna keep hurting..."

So, Fehr is pretty much ready to go all Pontius Pilate on this and clean his hands of the mess.

Last edited by Phil Parent: 11-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Stuck in Socal

Once again, there will be no season this year.

I'm just hoping this gets resolved before next season....

Closed Thread