Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evander Kane leaves KHL team

Old
11-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Dima_BLR

vCash: 500
looks like dinamo sends kane back to na. wasted time and money without decent return...what a huge disappointment!

Dima_BLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:14 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima_BLR View Post
looks like dinamo sends kane back to na. wasted time and money without decent return...what a huge disappointment!
Yea not sure what either side got out of that experiment.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:09 AM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
He was never good, the only reason hes good is because hes an awesome skater, and he always is in the right place, his shot is decent
King, doesn't this from your post = good? Kinda what it takes to score goals (which are a super premium in the NHL - and our team particularly)

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Ziggy66

That's too bad. I was really hoping to see some competivness and drive out of Kane in the KHL. Guess he just couldn't succeed in the KHL which I find a bit confusing with the bigger ice and his speed. Oh well hopefully he comes prepared to play for us whenever the season starts.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Tim Stapleton is the 6th-leading goal scorer in the KHL right now. 11g, 8A, 19 pts in 18 games. Leads Dinamo Minsk in points. (23rd overall in league).

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
That's too bad. I was really hoping to see some competivness and drive out of Kane in the KHL. Guess he just couldn't succeed in the KHL which I find a bit confusing with the bigger ice and his speed. Oh well hopefully he comes prepared to play for us whenever the season starts.
The problem is likely, IMO, that the KHL tends to play a much more system orientated game. Everything is about flow, puck control, lots of "east-west" play out there. With the bigger ice it is extra important you stick to your positioning, since if you don't there is lots of room for the opponent to exploit. Kane's low hockey IQ does not suit him well to this type of game, he is more of a me first explosive balls to the wall player, not suited to the patient passing and set up game it takes to succeed on the big ice. I did think his skating would help him overcome that somewhat, but too much NA mentality in him I guess. Nothing wrong with that, he will continue to be successful in the NHL with his play, he is designed for it. Just like Ricky Williams not able to stick in CFL, but long long successful NFL career since he was designed for that type of game.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:47 PM
almostawake

Something tells me Kane is returning with a new found appreciation for Winnipeg as a city.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:17 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The problem is likely, IMO, that the KHL tends to play a much more system orientated game. Everything is about flow, puck control, lots of "east-west" play out there. With the bigger ice it is extra important you stick to your positioning, since if you don't there is lots of room for the opponent to exploit. Kane's low hockey IQ does not suit him well to this type of game, he is more of a me first explosive balls to the wall player, not suited to the patient passing and set up game it takes to succeed on the big ice. I did think his skating would help him overcome that somewhat, but too much NA mentality in him I guess. Nothing wrong with that, he will continue to be successful in the NHL with his play, he is designed for it. Just like Ricky Williams not able to stick in CFL, but long long successful NFL career since he was designed for that type of game.
Great point. He is perfectly suited to the small ice of the NHL. His failure on big ice may cost him any opportunity at a spot on an Olympic hockey team assuming NHL'ers play in the Olympics in the future.

He may play in the Olympics on a smaller ice surface. Years from now.

It is disappointing that he couldn't adapt. Oh well it is fun watching him skate straight up and down the ice running the net and shooting from poor angles with no one in front or driving the net. that is his game!

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:24 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

That's actually his goal is play in the olympics.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:11 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
That's actually his goal is play in the olympics.
Big ice but its more nature of the systems than the ice, I think HC is trying to point out.

He'd be playing for Canada if he played which would still use a NA style system.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
I came to post about his Olympic chances thinking I had an original thought but it appears this thread has pretty much summed everything up already. I hope he comes back to Winnipeg to train with Ladd or at least a veteran presence somewhere to help him deal with this disappointment. It's important for his maturation to deal with that properly - he probably hasn't been cut from a team in as long as he can remember.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I came to post about his Olympic chances thinking I had an original thought but it appears this thread has pretty much summed everything up already. I hope he comes back to Winnipeg to train with Ladd or at least a veteran presence somewhere to help him deal with this disappointment. It's important for his maturation to deal with that properly - he probably hasn't been cut from a team in as long as he can remember.
It would be great if he had some support from players here - in the end, it might be a good thing for his maturation to have to deal with some failure. Hopefully he uses it as a motivational moment.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:02 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Great point. He is perfectly suited to the small ice of the NHL. His failure on big ice may cost him any opportunity at a spot on an Olympic hockey team assuming NHL'ers play in the Olympics in the future.

He may play in the Olympics on a smaller ice surface. Years from now.

It is disappointing that he couldn't adapt. Oh well it is fun watching him skate straight up and down the ice running the net and shooting from poor angles with no one in front or driving the net. that is his game!
Blues, C'mon man don't think Kane would have ever been in the running for a spot on the Olympic team unless it was a sport other than hockey, he might be a good short track speed skater if they didn't have to go around corners.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I never saw kane playing for the olympics
He really needs to get himself in check if he thinks he has a shot

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:34 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Blues, C'mon man don't think Kane would have ever been in the running for a spot on the Olympic team unless it was a sport other than hockey, he might be a good short track speed skater if they didn't have to go around corners.
It was his goal but I don't see him ever cracking Canada's Olympic hockey team unless he can further develop his game, score 70 goals in the NHL or learn to play a team game not an Evander game.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:40 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Big ice but its more nature of the systems than the ice, I think HC is trying to point out.

He'd be playing for Canada if he played which would still use a NA style system.
If he can't play systems, he is never playing in the Olympics for Canada with top level coaches with systems. Albeit modified ones on short notice but systems which need to be learned in a short period of time.

Lets not forget Evander qualified to play in the KHL based on his world championship experience. NHL lockout non russian walk-ons have multiple restrictions in the KHL.

You must be a Cup winner, individual trophy winner, or participated in the World championships if I am correct.

Let's see what he does now. Vacation back in Vancouver or train with the guys in Winnipeg.

I hope he is skating at the iceplex next week.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:45 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
It is one of his goals according some interviews this past summer. I believe it was Chevy discussing it.

I fully believed he only went to the KHL to show he could play on the big ice and accustom himself to Russia in preparation for the Sochi games.

If he had a hot season heading in to the games he could crack the lineup. I think that this may have set him back.

Who knows. I do enjoy EK crashing the net down at MTSC.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Something tells me Kane is returning with a new found appreciation for Winnipeg as a city.
Why's that?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
If he can't play systems, he is never playing in the Olympics for Canada with top level coaches with systems. Albeit modified ones on short notice but systems which need to be learned in a short period of time.

Lets not forget Evander qualified to play in the KHL based on his world championship experience. NHL lockout non russian walk-ons have multiple restrictions in the KHL.

You must be a Cup winner, individual trophy winner, or participated in the World championships if I am correct.

Let's see what he does now. Vacation back in Vancouver or train with the guys in Winnipeg.

I hope he is skating at the iceplex next week.
Your missing the one criteria that makes it so most every regular NHL player qualified...160 games played in the NHL in the last 3 NHL seasons. Kane and almost every regular qualified for that, and if I am not mistaken the KHL waived their criteria to allow Joffrey Lupul...

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 11-16-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:42 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Why's that?
Ya not really sure how Minsk would make someone appreciate Winnipeg more. I only went through there but it seemed like quite a nice place to me.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:13 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Probably wasn't a good experience over there for him. Hopefully he goes to Winnipeg to practice with some his teammates.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Not that i'm disagreeing with you, but i hear a lot about Taylor Hall being a very strong candidate (some think shoe-in) to be on the Olympic team from the hockey experts, yet Evander Kane (in most people's eyes) has no shot or no chance. Honestly, I don't see that big of a difference in their games, though i will say Hall's hockey IQ is a bit better than Kane's.

But neither has done enough to deserve serious consideration to this point, imo. The depth at forward for Canada is just too deep.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Hopefully this experience humbles him and he can become a better human being because of it. His ego has always been out of check IMO and sometimes a bad experience like this can help with that, unless he chooses to blame others instead of taking responsibility for his own actions.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Ya not really sure how Minsk would make someone appreciate Winnipeg more. I only went through there but it seemed like quite a nice place to me.
It's a reasonably nice place actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjPx4...eature=related

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:21 AM
Den

I think we should be easy on Kane, new league and 11 games is not that much... It might take time to asjust or to learn playing on big ice...

Den is offline   Reply With Quote