HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Who deserves the #1 pick?

View Poll Results: Who deserves the pick?
New Jersey Devils 5 0.65%
New York Islanders 23 2.98%
New York Rangers 3 0.39%
Philadelphia Flyers 9 1.16%
Pittsburgh Penguins 13 1.68%
Boston Bruins 10 1.29%
Buffalo Sabres 9 1.16%
Montreal Canadiens 37 4.79%
Ottawa Senators 10 1.29%
Toronto Maple Leafs 115 14.88%
Carolina Hurricanes 2 0.26%
Florida Panthers 4 0.52%
Tampa Bay Lightning 2 0.26%
Washington Capitals 7 0.91%
Winnipeg Jets 24 3.10%
Chicago Blackhawks 5 0.65%
Columbus Blue Jackets 262 33.89%
Detroit Red Wings 25 3.23%
Nashville Predators 10 1.29%
St. Louis Blues 8 1.03%
Calgary Flames 34 4.40%
Colorado Avalanche 12 1.55%
Edmonton Oilers 74 9.57%
Minnesota Wild 21 2.72%
Vancouver Canucks 17 2.20%
Anaheim Ducks 7 0.91%
Dallas Stars 7 0.91%
Los Angeles Kings 4 0.52%
Phoenix Coyotes 7 0.91%
San Jose Sharks 7 0.91%
Voters: 773. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
stubbadub

vCash: 500
Sorry if this mirrors anybody else's response, but NOBODY deserves the first overall pick. Not the players, not the owners. These are people who are holding out on US the fans, and some people think that they deserve to gain revenue off and play with a prospect who's making zilch to play the sport that he loves and accelerates at over any other player available? **** THAT!!! Nobody deserves it. They're all a bunch of greedy bums.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Sorry if this mirrors anybody else's response, but NOBODY deserves the first overall pick. Not the players, not the owners. These are people who are holding out on US the fans, and some people think that they deserve to gain revenue off and play with a prospect who's making zilch to play the sport that he loves and accelerates at over any other player available? **** THAT!!! Nobody deserves it. They're all a bunch of greedy bums.
This^ and besides the reasons you stated, nobody had to suffer through a last place finish to get it. Youve got to earn your #1 through pain, suffering, shame, and much mockery.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Homer pick for Jets. I think the fans deserve a game-breaker to build this young team around.

Also would say Columbus. The team gets unfairly **** on. If that team could pick it's management and coaching problems up (they're atrocious) I believe there's a very real possibility for a fanbase in Ohio.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:24 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i gotta tell u, if the Leafs keep losing there not going to have any fans, so many people are so frustrated with the Leafs that if s. ontario gets another team i bet u most casual fans will jump ship, but most loyal fans might too, its getting pretty bad last year when they were out of the playoffs the acc looked dead.
Yet the ACC is sold-out every game with the NHL's highest ticket prices.

Frustration isn't equaling fans bailing on the team.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:25 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Please tell me you're joking. It's ridiculous how leaf fans think they deserve the 1st overall pick
It's ridiculous because you hate them. It seems fine for any oher fan to feel that way.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Sooner or later the leafs fans will leave if a terrible team keeps getting iced. Then the NHL is fu**** Mackinnon can change that. Also it would be nice to see the league giving back to the leafs and the leafs fans for once.
How many more generations will that take?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:28 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Toronto already got what it deserved. Too bad Burkie traded that away. You can start talking about deserving a 1st overall once you finish 30th in the league.
LOL you have to get your shot in, didn''t you?

Old
11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
LOL you have to get your shot in, didn''t you?
He's not wrong. Toronto had the 2nd overall pick in 2010. Should I list the players that could have been? And that's not considering the 2011 pick, which was 9th overall. Wouldn't that be what Toronto deserves? What they've earned with their poor finishes?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:04 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
He's not wrong. Toronto had the 2nd overall pick in 2010. Should I list the players that could have been? And that's not considering the 2011 pick, which was 9th overall. Wouldn't that be what Toronto deserves? What they've earned with their poor finishes?
Not the first overall though. So they won`t lose a ball in the draft if it`s done the same as last time. They never finished 30th.

I don`t see anyone claiming Columbus deserves less because they`ve been rewarded in the past with high picks.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Not the first overall though. So they won`t lose a ball in the draft if it`s done the same as last time. They never finished 30th.

I don`t see anyone claiming Columbus deserves less because they`ve been rewarded in the past with high picks.
I don't think any team deserves anything, but there is clearly a sense of entitlement from some people. Toronto has no one to blame but themselves if they haven't been able to take advantage of high draft picks.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
I think if any team deserves it, it would be Nashville.

Smallish, American southern market, recent (relatively) expansion team, well managed, well coached, fiscally responsible, good loyal fanbase, always try to field a competitive team and often do so successfully.

They could use a break and a first overall pick would be a nice reward for a job well done.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I don't think any team deserves anything, but there is clearly a sense of entitlement from some people. Toronto has no one to blame but themselves if they haven't been able to take advantage of high draft picks.
Columbus too I guess.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
Also, they're one of the only teams who've never had a top 3 pick in their entire history
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Nevermind first, Flames have never selected top five in franchise history.
The Atlanta Flames have and without the players acquired before the move the Flames probably wouldn't have won the cup in 1989. They certainly wouldn't have acquired Kent Nilsson for free like they did. Nilsson was traded for the pick that became Nieuwendyk, who was traded for Iginla. So the Flames owe both their Stanley Cup and run to the finals in 2004 to Atlanta. That would be like a Jets fan saying they haven't picked top 5 despite the presence of Kane and Bogosian. Or Colorado saying they've never pick first overall.

I think the Oilers deserve a top 4 pick (not the top pick) because they have the worst total regular season record of any team lockout to lockout. They also are tied with the Kings for best playoff record.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
The Atlanta Flames have and without the players acquired before the move the Flames probably wouldn't have won the cup in 1989. They certainly wouldn't have acquired Kent Nilsson for free like they did. Nilsson was traded for the pick that became Nieuwendyk, who was traded for Iginla. So the Flames owe both their Stanley Cup and run to the finals in 2004 to Atlanta. That would be like a Jets fan saying they haven't picked top 5 despite the presence of Kane and Bogosian. Or Colorado saying they've never pick first overall.

I think the Oilers deserve a top 4 pick (not the top pick) because they have the worst total regular season record of any team lockout to lockout. They also are tied with the Kings for best playoff record.
Uh... what?

Old
11-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Bluesman91

I think the Blues deserve a cup. Columbus finished last one season boo hoo. The management did this too the team and if anything are the least deserving as a team. To the fan base? Yeah. But as an organization hell no.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Nash

The real answer is no one deserves or is entitled to it. Even doing a weighted average isn't fair. Who knows what might happen to a team if an actual season was played. Philly went from 101 points and a top 5 finish in the East to 56 and last overall in the league the next season. That is a possibility to any team. You never know with injuries or other factors. A lottery is the only truly fair option.

Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I think if any team deserves it, it would be Nashville.

Smallish, American southern market, recent (relatively) expansion team, well managed, well coached, fiscally responsible, good loyal fanbase, always try to field a competitive team and often do so successfully.

They could use a break and a first overall pick would be a nice reward for a job well done.
I came to post pretty much the same thing and surprisingly it's another Oilers fan who's summed up my sentiment on the issue. I'm pretty surprised by the lack of votes for Nashville actually considering it's a who DESERVES the #1 pick poll. As for Columbus, they could use a break but there's a fair bit of bad decision making that has contributed to where they are today. They'd likely be at the bottom of the barrel if the season were played though and didn't get #1 this past year so they can pick #2 again.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:28 AM
ricky0034

nobody "deserves" a first overall pick

but assuming my team doesn't get it i'd like to see Columbus get it

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:31 AM
um

i hate the word deserves, but if it wasn't my team or any team i like id say the blue jackets deserve it

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:44 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This^ and besides the reasons you stated, nobody had to suffer through a last place finish to get it. Youve got to earn your #1 through pain, suffering, shame, and much mockery.
And then lose it to the team who had it two years in a row #OnlyInColumbus

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:53 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
It's ridiculous because you hate them. It seems fine for any oher fan to feel that way.
I don't hate them in any way actually. They're one of my favorite teams out East. I'm just yet to see one valid point for the Leafs deserving it.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:56 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't hate them in any way actually. They're one of my favorite teams out East. I'm just yet to see one valid point for the Leafs deserving it.
They financial give more money than any team in the NHL. Columbus apprently "Deserves" it more. They're a money-bleeding irrlevant franchise.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:00 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
They financial give more money than any team in the NHL. Columbus apprently "Deserves" it more. They're a money-bleeding irrlevant franchise.
That doesn't mean they deserve it though... Quite the opposite in fact. You create revenue for teams like Columbus by them icing a competitive team. Just look at Chicago and Pittsburgh's turn arounds in popularity. The point is to have 30 financially stable teams, not one that makes all the money and pays the others

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:44 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Toronto.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Uh... what?
No one matches the Kings/Oilers .625 winning percentage in the playoffs lockout to lockout. Oilers went 15-9 and the Kings went 20-12.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote