HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness the 4th: and here we wait in trade-completion limbo

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 08:25 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I thought the same, but an hour and 20-30 mins to work everyday is a bit much. Not to mention some of the traffic back and fourth on a daily basis would get extremely frustrating.

He's going to have to put on his big boy pants and leave the dog behind.
He'd rather live two hours away then leave his dog behind. He adopts rescued dogs. He's not going to abandon one. If he wasn't comfortable making the trip wherever he'd live, he'll request a trade. And I've heard he's very professional, so he'd probably do it behind closed doors so the media doesn't know.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Do you know what an outfielder needs to be to be worth $16 million over two years as a free-agent acquisition? Something in the general neighborhood of league-average. Even slightly worse than that, or league-average and injury-prone. Cabrera was that sort of player in 2009 with the Yankees, when he posted a 94 wRC+. He was just kind of average at everything. If Cabrera could be that guy for two years, the Blue Jays wouldn’t have made a bad investment, and if Cabrera could be better than that guy for two years, the Blue Jays would have made a solid investment.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ns-to-toronto/

Even if he goes back to his '09 season, he's still better than Rajai.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Couple of people on my fb are saying jays looking at marcum anyone else hear of this?
Yes, it's true. No idea if an offer has been placed but Marcum said he was interested in returning and the Jays reached out to find out what kind of value he's expecting a few days ago.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:28 PM
van Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
He'd rather live two hours away then leave his dog behind. He adopts rescued dogs. He's not going to abandon one. If he wasn't comfortable making the trip wherever he'd live, he'll request a trade. And I've heard he's very professional, so he'd probably do it behind closed doors so the media doesn't know.
He's willing to leave when Toronto is a serious contender in the AL east, for his dog?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:29 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority here but I'm not totally crazy about the Melky signing.

Seems like a bit much for a guy that we don't know what he is clean. Also was this really a necessary signing? I think that Davis and Bonafacio was a more than adequate platoon and the money probably could have been better spent elsewhere.
"adequate" doesn't win championships. You're over evlauating Davis, he really isn't that great. Also,Bonifacio more than lieky is playing second base since it looks like Kelly Johnson is on his way out . Besides, depth isn't a bad thing to have

Btw, so what if he was caught? Do you honestly think 90% of baseball players are clean and only a select few aren't?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:31 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

The only reason Josh Johnson may not want to play in Toronto is because it's cold and because of the taxes. He's going to enjoy playing for a winner though!

Old
11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
TieClark

The fact that Cabrera signed here days after the trade when AA said they weren't pushing for a LF a week ago just shows that players want to come here now. It's an exciting team to come to... somewhere players want to jump on board. It's exciting to be a Jays fan right now.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 169
Just sign Johnson up with a few sponsors, he'll make up the lost money from taxes easy.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Lol I did the exact same thing once I heard about the deal, only I also got rid of KJ and added Izturis.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:39 PM
mapes

Rumors are Jays are asking Texas for Ogando for JP. I wouldn't mind signing Marcum though

Old
11-16-2012, 08:42 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
He's willing to leave when Toronto is a serious contender in the AL east, for his dog?
I didn't say that. I said he might suck it up and make the trips. He did it in Miami and from what I read, it was an hour long trip each way.

Obviously you have no idea what people feel for animals. He RESCUES abused dogs. His family has FOUR rescued dogs. People who go about rescuing, don't do it to get rid of them later. They are a part of his family. I'd be like leaving a kid behind.

All the charity work Buehrle does is for animals. He hosts events frequently to donate toys, food, beds, collars, money etc for pets and to increase awareness on adopting.

He's not getting rid of his dog, I can tell you that straight up. And if you don't believe me, maybe this picture will change your mind.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Rumors are Jays are asking Texas for Ogando for JP. I wouldn't mind signing Marcum though
Rumours from where? I've certainly never heard of that.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
weems

Quote:
Wher'd you hear that rumour?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Source?

The only place I've heard that is from fan speculation.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Probably not from a reliable source. Nothing seems to show up for me anywhere.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
The only reason Josh Johnson may not want to play in Toronto is because it's cold and because of the taxes. He's going to enjoy playing for a winner though!
Taxes are a bit if a bummer, but no worse than a number of other big markets. I'm sure he has a good accountant to take care do it. He'll also have better sponsorship/promotion opportunities here on a winning team than in a disinterested Miami market.

But this weather nonsense has to stop. Toronto is warmer, and farther south, than either of Minnesota or Milwaukee. (Farther south than Seattle, too). And last I checked, baseball is played in the summer and fall, when Toronto is mostly warm and pleasant. The climate here is very similar to Chicago - slightly more moderate, in fact, typically avoiding Chicago's nasty hot summers and cold winters. Besides, very few players live here year 'round.

So he won't be surfing, but like you said, hopefully he'll be too busy winning baseball games in front of 40k+ fans to care. In short, he'll be just fine in Toronto.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

I'm not worried about Cabrera's performance next season. It's not like he was suddenly hitting for power. It's perfectly reasonable to expect him to continue hitting somewhere around .300

Old
11-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Source?

Let's hope there are no sources, or it guaranteed won't happen.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Wher'd you hear that rumour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Rumours from where? I've certainly never heard of that.
I literally just read it so trying to find it again. It did say Texas declined (that can change though). I'd rather Marcum for nothing but money. Is there any legit closers with a good history of closing games available in trade or free agency?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:59 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Probably not from a reliable source. Nothing seems to show up for me anywhere.
Might not have been. In not too familiar with many good rumor sites in baseball and frankly I rarely read them. Just had to look at some after the 3 days we had lol. Adding a 5th starter would be nasty (though I do like Happ)

Old
11-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
He doesn't have to live here during the winter.... Toronto is awesome during the summer, and even the fall. Mute point.

Also, if they are that upset about taxes.... i have lost all faith in humanity.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
I literally just read it so trying to find it again. It did say Texas declined (that can change though). I'd rather Marcum for nothing but money. Is there any legit closers with a good history of closing games available in trade or free agency?
we have tons of relief depth right now. I would be open to getting a true stud, but even then we have other holes to fill.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Might not have been. In not too familiar with many good rumor sites in baseball and frankly I rarely read them. Just had to look at some after the 3 days we had lol. Adding a 5th starter would be nasty (though I do like Happ)
MLBTR and some of the baseball analyst's twitters usually give me the lowdown on what's what.

Ogando would definitely be solid, although the East has hurt him a lot in the past.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Nick0930

Problem solved.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:07 PM
canucksfan

One thing to think about, Melky is going from San Fran to Toronto. A poor hitters park to a really good one.

Closed Thread