HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Everybody's talking at me; I don't hear a word they're saying (CBA/Lockout XXIX)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
When guys like Latendresse are cracking, it doesn't matter to the PA. Let me know when a high profile player cracks.
There are a lot more Latendresse's than there are Crosby's & Toew's. Soon the questions are going to be asked of who is Fehr really fighting for? I still think Fehr under estimated the owners & Bettman. I think he thought he would push them around like he did with Selig.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
guyincognito

MLB has double the revenue of the NHL. MLB players average salary is only roughly $700K more. Rosters are roughly the same size.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Now, now, now. You'll all get your turn.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Slads
Can't-stand-ya

Has anyone done the math to figure out what the average salary would be for a MLB player if they were at 50/50 with the league at their current total revenue rate of $7 billion?

50% of $7 billion is $3.5 billion
28-man rosters x 30 franchises = 840 players
$3.5 billion / 840 = $4.16 million per player

The current average is $3,440,000 [http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries/avgsalaries]

Let me know if I am totally wrong. Maybe some math people can fix anything I've done wrong.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:52 PM
JAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Now, now, now. You'll all get your turn.
Hahaha, I was just getting back in line.....but it's getting too long.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:54 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slads View Post
Has anyone done the math to figure out what the average salary would be for a MLB player if they were at 50/50 with the league at their current total revenue rate of $7 billion?

The current average is $3,440,000 [http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries/avgsalaries]

Let me know if I am totally wrong. Maybe some math people can fix anything I've done wrong.
Not sure baseball could even operate linked in the first place, due to bottom feeders using the system to profit.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:55 PM
jeety mcjeet
I know a thing or 2

Quote:
It could have been significantly higher.
@ ~75% teams could have folded too. The good players are always going to get paid well in any system. Less jobs is not better for the players or the game. Less jobs means less total money. Less no good.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:

I'm pretty sure MLB teams play with a 25 player roster.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
They do.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Slads
Can't-stand-ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I read that it was 25 pre-strike then it became 28 but I don't know much about baseball so I'm probably wrong. But that would raise the average even more.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:00 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Why are we even talking about baseball? Ask anyone who is a fan of a team that's not in a big market how they feel about being farm teams for the Yankees & Phillies. The only reason it does as well as it does is because it's Americas game with a strong tradition & fan base built when it use to be fair. Hockey doesn't have that in America.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Slads
Can't-stand-ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Why are we even talking about baseball? Ask anyone who is a fan of a team that's not in a big market how they feel about being farm teams for the Yankees & Phillies. The only reason it does as well as it does is because it's Americas game with a strong tradition & fan base built when it use to be fair. Hockey doesn't have that in America.
My point was to see if MLB players would actually be better with the 50/50 of revenue than without the cap.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Once the NHL lightens its stance on the linked cap, the NHLPA will budge on contracting issues.
The linkage is non-negotiable and for good reason. There is no way the owners can take that risk, especially in the current economy and lockout state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No, it's not. You can make players pay some of the cost of insuring longer term deals or many other things smarter people than I can figure out.
That is going to end up costing them more money. Yeah, try offering that and see what the reply is.

Year limits is the easiest, most efficient and least harmful way of fixing these problems.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Crease

Quote:
I'm not editorializing. The purpose of a cap system is to artificially restrict player salaries, period.
Not entirely correct. The purpose of a cap system (one that incorporates both a ceiling and a floor) is to ensure that team expenditures don't vary wildly. In other words, the purpose is to achieve parity.

A ceiling, alone, artificially restricts player salaries. A floor, alone, artificially raises player salaries. Together? Well, we can look at escrow to see the effect. Someone may have to fact check this for me but I believe I read somewhere that in 5 of the last 7 years, players have received the entirety of their contributions to escrow back. If that was the case, then the league has spent at or below the mandate in 5 of the past 7 years, despite having the flexibility to overspend towards 65% of HRR (i.e. every team spending to the cap ceiling). If the league as a whole was spending above and beyond the mandate, then players would be giving money back to the owners at the end of the season. How many times has that happened in the last 7 years?

What really restricts player salaries is the predefined %, and only if that predefined % is causing the players to leave money on the table. If players were paying back the owners in more years than not then I would agree that theres demand for cap space that's artificially being cut down. But we haven't seen much of that.

Last edited by Crease: 11-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Seriously though, any Pro-NHLPA poster here wanna defend the PA's position on this?

Pay us for a full-year's work when we only play 50 games or so?
The players were being locked out and prevented from earning their contracts, that's going to be their argument anyway.

But that's opening Pandora's Box. Fehr can't argue that in good faith, otherwise MLB players (a union he was a part of) owe the baseball owners a crapload of money for all of their strikes, especially '81 and '94. That's what I would say if I were Bettman or Daly.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:14 PM
PensFanSince1989

Going back to Hostess and those bad bad unions (though I'm generally pro owner here, I do generally support unions),

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...esss-downfall/

Old
11-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Mr V

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The players were being locked out and prevented from earning their contracts, that's going to be their argument anyway.

But that's opening Pandora's Box. Fehr can't argue that in good faith, otherwise MLB players (a union he was a part of) owe the baseball owners a crapload of money for all of their strikes, especially '81 and '94. That's what I would say if I were Bettman or Daly.
Yeah. I'm sure Fehr is going to lose a lot of sleep over that.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:17 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Per Martin Maguire on 98.5FM in Montreal, the players training at the Bell Complex are frustrated with how things are going. Many players are trying to bring the two sides back to the negociating table.

Bettman asking for the moratorium completely crushed the morale of many players.

Fehr is apparently telling players that if they want to go any further, it's going to hurt them.

Latendresse says: "It's like, we're always telling ourselves, let's wait two weeks and see what they add to the deal, and two weeks later, we're like "Crap, we should have taken that deal from two weeks ago..."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is comedy gold. You have to give Fehr credit - he's now spinning it so that the fight that he created was something that the players told him to do.

"Well gee, I just did what they told me, that's why they lost $200M in salary."

Whoa. Man. Gotta catch my breathe here.

You look at those player comments that came out where guys have no idea if "we're in a fight for the sake of fighting" and this is pretty brilliant manipulation.

Too bad his fiscal acumen doesn't match up to his cat herding ability.

Having said that, I"m sure the mandate from the NHLPA (not the players) was to go out and be as intransigent as possible.

I think Fehr missed his calling as a stand-up comic. Best straight man you could get.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

The NHL should require drafted players to complete one year of college.

Some of the things the players say are down right stupid.

Last edited by Qward: 11-16-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 10:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
The NHL require drafted players to complete one year of college.

Some of the things the players say are down right stupid.
Since when? 18 years olds right out of junior to NHL.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:27 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Pretty sure there's a "should" missing in there.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I think he's saying they should require them to go to College/University for a year first. Like the NBA and NFL does. Although, to counter his point more often then not they take the stupidest classes possible when they go to University. I forget who the football player was on Dan LeBatard's show the other day but he has a degree in Poultry Science. Seriously. Poultry Science.

I would agree though that any kid coming into professional sports should have some sort of program required of them so that they understand a few things. 1) Planning for when they aren't playing hockey anymore. 2) Very basic understanding of contract law at minimum 3) Basic public speaking skills (we really don't need another Jeff Friesen coming along and causing paleontologists to wonder if Neanderthals really died off)

Old
11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

NHL players are now ganging up on Dreger. It is quite comical to see the players lash out on a reporter who criticized Ian White (and rightfully so) for making immature statements. Name calling is usually done on school grounds, or on the ice for some of these knuckle draggers.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:32 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 511
Quote:
My point was to see if MLB players would actually be better with the 50/50 of revenue than without the cap.
Everything I've read would suggest that MLB players would be better off if they got 50/50.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...erpaid/255512/

Old
11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
NHL players are now ganging up on Dreger. It is quite comical to see the players lash out on a reporter who criticized Ian White (and rightfully so) for making immature statements. Name calling is usually done on school grounds, or on the ice for some of these knuckle draggers.
What more would you expect from them?

These are the same guys that thought firing Kelly and hiring Fehr was a good idea.

Closed Thread