HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

During a Q & A makes a scary prediction about Datsyuk

Old
11-16-2012, 05:34 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
During a Q & A makes a scary prediction about Datsyuk

Some of us have feared this. Datsyuk's latest comments about missing Detroit, I took as a positive. But Ansar dropped this in a recent Q & A.

Quote:
Q. I heard several “experts'' predict in September the lockout would end early to mid-December. What is your opinion on when we will see hockey again? Also, I read your report on Pavel Datsyuk and you asked if Pav would be back after his contract expires. I don't believe he will, I think he will return to Russia, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. What do you think Pav will do? --Ben.

A. Your guess on when the lockout will end is as good as mine. I am surprised it has lasted this long. Heading into this mess, I really thought they would be playing by Christmas. They still might get it settled in time to start up in December, but I doubt it. If the season is salvaged I think it would start in January. That's what happened in 1995, when they played a 48-game season.

I share your opinion on Datsyuk's future. I have a feeling he will finish his career in Russia after his contract expires in 2013-14. But, that's just pure speculation on my part. Datsyuk keeps his cards close to the vest.
Rest of the Questions mostly lockout related: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....estions_8.html

We know it is a possability, but it does worry me that someone like Khan truly believes this.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Nothing lasts forever. Pavel Datsyuk retires some day.

And Calle Järnkrok takes advantage of it.

Just like Pavel did when Fedorov left.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
All we can do is pray to every deity we know.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Nyquist

Wasn't there a lot of fear before he signed his last contract as well? I see him coming back, but if he isn't I would like to see much more of a rebuild.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Nothing lasts forever. Pavel Datsyuk retires some day.

And Calle Järnkrok takes advantage of it.

Just like Pavel did when Fedorov left.
Jarnkrok is not even close to being a kind of guy who replaces Datsyuk.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:14 PM
silkyjohnson50

Whether he signs another NHL contract or not, I've come to the realization that his time in the NHL is running short due to age.

I know that Detroit will at some point down the road have another great forward again, but I just don't know when we'll see another player like Datsyuk. Heck, I don't even know when the NHL will again.

And that fact that it's looking like we'll have 2 seasons of his taken away just pisses me off.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:19 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Scary scenario is if they aren't quite as good and he won't commit, he must be traded for assets. I know that will make people unhappy, but that is my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:40 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Scary scenario is if they aren't quite as good and he won't commit, he must be traded for assets. I know that will make people unhappy, but that is my opinion.
I've seen this suggestion before and it makes no sense.

You don't trade away a guy like this. You trade away your second tier guys

Old
11-16-2012, 08:41 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Good point, but I think they'd basically have to have no shot at the playoffs for that to happen. If they have a shot they ain't trading him.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
jroc86

If Pavel re-ups for 4 years and a few prospects pan out we'll be a competitive team for the forseeable future.

If Pavel heads home and we dont get a suprise superstar or two 2014 --> is going harbour a few dark years for sure.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:14 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Jarnkrok is not even close to being a kind of guy who replaces Datsyuk.
It's obviously doubtful that Jarnkrok gets to Datsyuk's level, but when Datsyuk was Jarnkrok's age no one thought Datsyuk would get to Datsyuk's current level either.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:17 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

As for Khan's piece, I don't think it's anything substantial. He admits it's simply speculation, and he adds a valid point about Datsyuk keeping his cards close to the vest. I've had a feeling for a couple years that Datsyuk would leave the NHL after his contract is up. That's what I expect to happen. But I certainly won't be shocked if he signs a new contract.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Not really much new here, we all know that it is a possibility.

"that's just pure speculation on my part. Datsyuk keeps his cards close to the vest."

Kind of a disclaimer at the end there...

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:59 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
It's obviously doubtful that Jarnkrok gets to Datsyuk's level, but when Datsyuk was Jarnkrok's age no one thought Datsyuk would get to Datsyuk's current level either.
That's true.
But when Datsyuk was Jarnkrok's age, there wasn't video all over the internet, few people other than scouts saw international hockey of any kind.

If Datsyuk was 20 years old today, hfboards would be loaded with posts about his "sick dangles"

Old
11-17-2012, 05:08 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
Wasn't there a lot of fear before he signed his last contract as well? I see him coming back, but if he isn't I would like to see much more of a rebuild.
From Dave Kings book 'King of Russia', he draws a picture that makes it seem like it was pretty close that Datsyuk had stayed in Russia. Same with Semin and Kovalchuk, btw.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Holland would never trade Datsyuk. He's too loyal.

Z40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:57 AM
lazerbullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
From Dave Kings book 'King of Russia', he draws a picture that makes it seem like it was pretty close that Datsyuk had stayed in Russia. Same with Semin and Kovalchuk, btw.
Dave King book?

Dave is a good storyteller, but many of his opinions are highly questionable.

As for Datsyuk. Nothing new. I and some others have said the same thing for several years now. Khan is speculating just like many others. I'm sure he has no insider info about this matter. And I'm sure that even Datsyuk doesn't know what he is going to do.

It really depends... how is the situation with his family, how he likes the KHL, how competitive is Detroit, how much more he wants to win another Cup. There will be a lot of variables in his decision.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:04 AM
lazerbullet

Quote:
That's true.
But when Datsyuk was Jarnkrok's age, there wasn't video all over the internet, few people other than scouts saw international hockey of any kind.

If Datsyuk was 20 years old today, hfboards would be loaded with posts about his "sick dangles"
Frankly, I'm not so sure about this. Datsyuk never stood out in Russia. Skilled? Sure, but so were a bunch of other kids playing Russia. Datsyuk had skill, but he didn't set the Russian League on fire. There is a reason why Hakan was the only one who scouted him. And Russia was well-scouted in the late 90s. Jarnkrok for example, has been far more dominant in SEL.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:57 AM
RedMachine87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
This.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:00 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
That's true.

Maybe. But when Datsyuk was 21 years old, he played 15 games in Russia and put up 1 goal and 3 assists. I'm not so sure there would have been a ton of highlights with sick dangles to post in the first place.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:08 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
Frankly, I'm not so sure about this. Datsyuk never stood out in Russia. Skilled? Sure, but so were a bunch of other kids playing Russia. Datsyuk had skill, but he didn't set the Russian League on fire. There is a reason why Hakan was the only one who scouted him. And Russia was well-scouted in the late 90s. Jarnkrok for example, has been far more dominant in SEL.
Hakan wasn't even over there to scout Pavs. He was scouting someone else (forget who) but Pavs caught his attention.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Harnessed in Slums

This is speculation - like everything else on HF Boards. I think Pavs will go out in Nick fashion and not hang around if he can no longer perform at his usual high level. I can't say if this will be his last contract, my guess is it will largely depend on how he plays when NHL play resumes. If he can still play at a high level I can see him following in Nick's footsteps and sign one year deals if he decides to continue playing in Detroit. I do think it's either Detroit or Russia, I have trouble seeing the Wings trade him or him sign with another NHL team.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:46 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
Russia wasn't that well scouted. obviously.
And while my example isn't exactly true, because Datsyuk wasn't drafted until he was nearly 20... the simple fact of the matter is that fans today are far more informed about prospects than ever.
How many Russian Super League games did you watch in 1999?
Right now, you can fire up the net and watch games live. You can watch hours of highlights on youtube. You can access scouting reports all over the place.
In Datsyuk's first game with Detroit, he showed incredible puck skills. It was clear, right from the beginning, that he had special talent -- far beyond anything I'd read up until that point.

Here's an early scouting report on Datsyuk
http://web.archive.org/web/200106300...s/datsyuk.html

Old
11-17-2012, 10:09 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Datsyuk was and still is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. He is not a person who really cares about the celebrity life or the perks you get from it. He plays hockey because its fun and there is no doubt in my mind that he would enjoy playing hockey in Russia just as much as he does in Detroit if the circumstances were right. I hope he doesn't leave because he is the type of player who can still be very effective for several more years. Him leaving would destroy the wings. I really don't see anything in the pipe line that gives me any hope. The drop off from yzerman/fedorov was pretty big from Datsyuk/zetterberg and I think there will be another drop off from the next generation. The late draft picks and the fact that Detroit doesn't own Europe anymore just makes it very hard to believe we have another super star in the making. I see Detroit's drafting philosophy changing the DNA of the wings from elite/super star players to a more gritty every player is similarly skilled system that helped Boston win the cup. Detroit can still draft well, but I don't think the old system is realistic.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:09 AM
lazerbullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Hakan wasn't even over there to scout Pavs. He was scouting someone else (forget who) but Pavs caught his attention.
It was Dmitry Kalinin. As it turns out one of the most important players in modern Red Wings history.