HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness V: Your cable bill is going up|Presser Tue @ 9:30am ET/6:30am PT

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Off-season Madness V: Your cable bill is going up|Presser Tue @ 9:30am ET/6:30am PT

Aaaaaaaaand go.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

haha nice title.

Old
Jerkini

This is the first time in a long while I'm looking forward to a Blue jays season.

Old
NeverGoingToWin

I like it too. Nice one.

Old
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
I was hoping for a play on Melky's name, but this'll do.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Good thing I don't pay for my cable.

Probably a good time to give a shout out to my parents, love ya

Old
11-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Hopefully we can get the presser tomorrow. He'll need more chairs for the players than the reporters

Oh, and I don't have cable so

Old
11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
DeputyMcLaren

lol, awesome thread title.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

great one lol

11-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

you're welcome son

Old
11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Hopefully we can get the presser tomorrow. He'll need more chairs for the players than the reporters

Oh, and I don't have cable so

Sounds like we may not hear anything until monday.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
you're welcome son
My dad's in bed.

Don't even try saying he has an ipad or something that he posted that with. He is hopeless with technology.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Sounds like we may not hear anything until monday.
That's because AA still has a couple more trades and signings to do this weekend

Old
11-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Jim Tracy says hi. Check out his multiple winning record(s).
Bear with me, this is a long one.

Tracy has a few winning seasons with a strong Dodgers roster in 2001-2005, and won Manager of the year for his first partial season with the Rockies. But he is still a career loser with a overall record of 856-880 (.493), and a whopping two wins in 12 playoff games.

Acta's record, meanwhile, is even worse at 372-518 (.418), third-worst in major league history. But it's important to note that in his three seasons in Washington, they had the consensus worst roster in baseball - and he still managed to eke out a surprisingly decent 73-89 record in his first season. He managed to improve the Indians' recor over his tenure there, until the wheels fell off in the second half of this past season. Neither Washington nor Cleveland had close to the talent that Tracy managed with the Dodgers.

The fact is neither coach boasts an auspicious record: we can't look at either guy and say "this guy's a proven winner". So we have to look beyond that, and ask: "How did they do with the talent they were given?". I'd say they've both had their hits and misses, but neither has distinguished himself - or, for that matter, eliminated himself from consideration. And that's fine: a manager typically doesn't win you games, after all - so you really just want one who won't lose you too many, and who can help manage the inmates.

So we ask other questions. "Have they shown that they can communicate with players, generate buy-in and foster a positive, accountability-based team culture?". "Does their coaching philosophy mesh with what the Jays are trying to do, and can they adapt to changing circumstances?". "Can they help young players mature into difference makers?".

These are questions we don't have the answers to, but I'd bet Anthopolous does. Both Acta and Tracy have ties to the Expos, so are likely known quantities to him.

Acta's younger than Tracy (43 versus 56), and is known for embracing Sabremetrics as a tool in managing his clubs. He's also Dominican and (obviously) fluent in Spanish, which should help him connect with the Latin core of this roster. Josť Reyes played for him on the national team in 2006, so no doubt Anthopolous would ask Josť about his experience with Acts, just as he would ask if (God forbid) he was seriously considering Ozzie Guillen. Doubtless Bautista, Encarnacion and Cabrera know him too, at least casually.

So while either guy might be a viable candidate, at face value I'd have to give the edge to Acta. I see no reason to think, given the club Anthopolous is assembling, that Acta would do any worse than Tracy.

I also ask myself this: how exciting would it be if Acta came into his own with this roster? The Jays would have a very good manager who despite his experience is only 43, and so could provide the organization with long-term stability in the Manager's office, something that's been notoriously absent over the past decade. It's doubtless pie-in-the-sky thinking on my part, but an innovative and smart tandem of Anthopolous and Acta in the GM and Manager roles could make the Jays a real model for the way to run a contending franchise in the 21st century.

But really, it comes down to this: do you have faith in Alex Anthopolous? Based on what he's been able to pull off so far in rebuilding this organization from the ground up, and then getting Rogers to ante up at exactly the right time, I'd have to say I do have faith. So whoever he chooses - Tracy, Acta, Wakamatsu or someone else - I'm going to give a very long leash.

(EDIT: ...and before you say it, yes, this is a hella looong post for a Friday night, but the Missus is at a girl's night, so it's just me and the three-year-old at home. Party time! *Zzzzzzzzzz*)

Last edited by Ohio Jones: 11-16-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

I thought we were waiting for Nem. Guess not.

11-16-2012, 09:14 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

And this is why you have to watch what your Dad wants to.

Totally stoked for this year if the deal goes through.

Reyes, Cabrera, Bautista, Encarnacion....

Finally a lineup dangerous from top to bottom, with two guys getting on base ahead of Jose and Edwin.

the pitching rocks.

Hey whats up with Beurhle's(I'm gonna have to learn to spell his name) pitbulls?

A guy at work was saying there is an issue because you can't breed or import them into Ontario.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:16 PM
departures89

For the people suggesting Ogando for Arencibia...

I don't know much about Ogando but would it be worth giving away a catcher for a relief arm when our bullpen is already stacked?

Old
11-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by departures89 View Post

I don't know much about Ogando but would it be worth giving away a catcher for a relief arm when our bullpen is already stacked?
If they consider JPA to be expendable, then extra relief arms can never hurt especially if they are consistent and with talent. it also makes it possible to move some relief arms in other trades possible for a 1b.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:

People think we need a long reliever/spot starter (rightly so). So either find one of those or a 5th starter to push Happ into that roll.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:

Fair question.

Ogando is a swing-man, a long-reliever who can also spot-start for you, and whose long-term potential may well be as a starter. He's young, controllable, has options (IIRC) and improving fundamentals.

So yes, I definitely feel it's worth it, especially as I don't see Arencibia becoming much more than he is now. Great guy, love having him on the team, but if he was the price of getting a guy like Ogando (or Niese from the Mets), I wouldn't hesitate.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:23 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
I would love to get Adam LaRoche for a L power pat behind Joey Batts and EE. I'd rather that than a 5th starter but even still that is probably hoping for way too much.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:24 PM
departures89

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
And this is why you have to watch what your Dad wants to.

Totally stoked for this year if the deal goes through.

Reyes, Cabrera, Bautista, Encarnacion....

Finally a lineup dangerous from top to bottom, with two guys getting on base ahead of Jose and Edwin.

the pitching rocks.

Hey whats up with Beurhle's(I'm gonna have to learn to spell his name) pitbulls?

A guy at work was saying there is an issue because you can't breed or import them into Ontario.
The deal with Buehrle is that his wife is a breeder of pitbulls and Ontario does in fact have restrictions in place. I would imagine AA has had some sort of dialogue internally about this matter and either A) has a solution for the matter or B) has something else going on with him (e.g.; a trade).

Personally I can't see this being a major hang up because most Toronto athletes don't actually live here. And especially giving the amount of time the Jays spend outside of Canada (any road game), I would expect Buehrle would act like a professional about this moving forward.

At the end of the day, if he's going to cause major problems about it, I wouldn't be surprised if AA traded him. He has been known to flip players before...

Old
11-16-2012, 09:34 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Tell me what team had 3+ guys hit 25+ homeruns and drive in 90+ rbis last season?

ok lets look.......
just the american league

yankees had 5 (potentially)

cano granderson swisher texiera a-rod

baltimore has 3 to 5 guys who could
tampa had longoria zobrist upton pena (guys who have in he past
detroit 2 (could use another
texas 3 (beltre hamilton cruz - napoli could have
LA 3 pujols trumbo trout
white sox 4 or 5 - konerko rios dunn pierzynski viciedo

Old
11-16-2012, 09:35 PM
departures89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Fair question.

Ogando is a swing-man, a long-reliever who can also spot-start for you, and whose long-term potential may well be as a starter. He's young, controllable, has options (IIRC) and improving fundamentals.

So yes, I definitely feel it's worth it, especially as I don't see Arencibia becoming much more than he is now. Great guy, love having him on the team, but if he was the price of getting a guy like Ogando (or Niese from the Mets), I wouldn't hesitate.
Im inclined to believe that Arencibia is a team leader which could be invaluable to the chemistry of the team. If another SP was acquired and Happ was made into a LR, I think that works better. (Just my opinion of course).

Obviously pitching is vital to team success (this year made that fact abundantly clear) but I just think that JPA still has some room to develop both offensively and defensively. Isn't he still young and controllable too?

Old
11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
The deal with Buehrle is that his wife is a breeder of pitbulls and Ontario does in fact have restrictions in place. I would imagine AA has had some sort of dialogue internally about this matter and either A) has a solution for the matter or B) has something else going on with him (e.g.; a trade).

Personally I can't see this being a major hang up because most Toronto athletes don't actually live here. And especially giving the amount of time the Jays spend outside of Canada (any road game), I would expect Buehrle would act like a professional about this moving forward.

At the end of the day, if he's going to cause major problems about it, I wouldn't be surprised if AA traded him. He has been known to flip players before...
All true, so I'm not worried. But I admit I hope Buehrle plays here - he's exactly the sort of steadying veteran presence I felt this roster needed, what I thought we might get by signing Dan Haren. He's a true pitcher rather than a thrower, and he can share his experience, insights and (above all) his calm reliability with the rest of the young staff.

As a guy who's provided a home for (to date) two rescue dogs myself, I have great respect for the work he and his wife do, and I'm confident that they will find a way to make it work.

Closed Thread