HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 10:59 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Elliot took an elbow to the head, give him a break.
Stats like that are still unacceptable. Maybe if it was in the NHL, but this is the minors. Kind of disappointed in Elliot at this rate. Hope he can get back in game.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
Stats like that are still unacceptable. Maybe if it was in the NHL, but this is the minors. Kind of disappointed in Elliot at this rate. Hope he can get back in game.
He produced in the NHL just fine. His main job right now in the minors is to work on his defensive game which was sorely lacking at the NHL level. It seems we overreact here a bit or a lot.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:17 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
I missed most of the game except for the overtime, what were Stollery and Elliott doing on that goal?

Old
11-17-2012, 01:11 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I missed most of the game except for the overtime, what were Stollery and Elliott doing on that goal?
Nothing; absolutely nothing!

Tyson Barrie was extremely impressive. His drive with Pickard pulled and the pass to Lerg was amazing. They literally stopped skating at the end of the 2nd period and that cost them the win. We drove 3 hours for the game and got a bit lost on the way there...and on the way home!

Old
11-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
He produced in the NHL just fine. His main job right now in the minors is to work on his defensive game which was sorely lacking at the NHL level. It seems we overreact here a bit or a lot.
Well if he's going to work on his defensive game at the cost of his offensive game then that doesn't help his chances to make the jump. We needed him on the Avs as a puck moving offensive defenceman. From what I saw in the few LE games I've watched he hasn't been impressive on either side of the ice. Perhaps he needs the NHL skill around him to put up points? He did look real good when he cam cup last year.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:53 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
Well if he's going to work on his defensive game at the cost of his offensive game then that doesn't help his chances to make the jump. We needed him on the Avs as a puck moving offensive defenceman. From what I saw in the few LE games I've watched he hasn't been impressive on either side of the ice. Perhaps he needs the NHL skill around him to put up points? He did look real good when he cam cup last year.
I hope it's some kind of sophomore slump. I'm not worried at all. He's young.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:40 AM
klozge
Avs

Just watched the highlights of the game. What a play by Barrie on that last Monsters goal. Amazing.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Link kloz?

Old
11-17-2012, 01:54 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Link kloz?
http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

Just go to "Free Highlights".

Old
11-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Skating Tripods

Was sitting a lot lower than I liked yesterday with some tickets given to me for the third row, so it was a little bit harder to make some observations, especially in the defensive zone.

But, one thing I can say, no matter where I was sitting, Stefan Elliott was AWFUL. He totally got worked on the GWG, bumped off the puck in the corner with ease. He looks like a guy playing with zero confidence right now. He's regressing, and it's disappointing.

On the positive side, though, as you guys mentioned already, Barrie's play on the GTG was incredible. I was right behind the attack twice net, so I had a bird's eye view of that one. Just a great, great play.

As I've mentioned with Bordeleau before, just no hockey IQ. The two little guys, Olver and Sgarbossa, drop the mitts while all Bordeleau does is take a very undisciplined penalty when down a goal with five minutes left. Earlier in the game, he let his man beat him off the faceoff to make the backdoor pass that gave Grand Rapids an easy goal.

Growing trend with Chynoweth that I haven't liked is that the opposition always seems to make more adjustments. That's the third or fourth time that the Monsters have gotten out early in a game and really dictated the pace for the first period and then failed to adjust to their opponent the rest of the game.

As far as Pickard goes, I don't think he was terrible, but he wasn't great either. Far too many rebounds from him last night. With a defense unit that isn't very physical, he has to freeze those or focus on directing them to low-traffic areas. That's definitely a work in progress for him and something I hope we see progress with throughout the season. In his defense, and Mrazek's defense for Grand Rapids, both teams struggled with defensive zone coverage yesterday.

How far has Mark Olver fallen? Not only has his play been inconsistent, he wasn't on the ice when the Monsters went 6-on-5. As far as I can remember, Luke Walker, who has hands of stone and minimal talent, was on the ice. I give him credit for the fight, which he won, but he really needs to get motivated and be involved. He used to play fearless. Now he wants to loiter around in the slot and wait for someone else to do the work.

Another criticism of Chynoweth: The Monsters have been a very bad neutral zone team in the games I've seen. They started the year playing well in transition, but that was in the full ice/top of the circles game. In the neutral zone, it's just a lot of weaving with no passing - too much carrying. They've become too easy to defend and they are allowing too many puck carriers to enter the offensive zone without much resistance.

If you're not a physical team, you need to force the issue with speed and pressure. They're playing far too passive at their own blue line. Teams are starting to exploit that and they have yet to adjust. That's back to the point I made about not making adjustments. The opposition is picking up on this in a hurry and controlling the tempo and possessing the puck.

Just some thoughts. First game I've been to in nearly a month, so it was nice to see some live hockey.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:35 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Wow what a play by Barrie, IMO that was better than Landeskog's rush.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Wow what a play by Barrie, IMO that was better than Landeskog's rush.
easy now, Barrie wasnt playing against the Buffalo Sabres.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
easy now, Barrie wasnt playing against the Buffalo Sabres.
Oh I know that, just saying that Barrie's "looked" better.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:57 PM
GamingGiant

Elliott just got worked on the GWG.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think most are patient with Elliott. We saw in the NHL that he has plenty to work on. That doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with the way he's started this season. He's a 21 year old professional hockey player. If anything this board is one of the more patient on HF (when we don't draft grinders 2nd overall).

Old
11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
Was sitting a lot lower than I liked yesterday with some tickets given to me for the third row, so it was a little bit harder to make some observations, especially in the defensive zone.

But, one thing I can say, no matter where I was sitting, Stefan Elliott was AWFUL. He totally got worked on the GWG, bumped off the puck in the corner with ease. He looks like a guy playing with zero confidence right now. He's regressing, and it's disappointing.

On the positive side, though, as you guys mentioned already, Barrie's play on the GTG was incredible. I was right behind the attack twice net, so I had a bird's eye view of that one. Just a great, great play.

As I've mentioned with Bordeleau before, just no hockey IQ. The two little guys, Olver and Sgarbossa, drop the mitts while all Bordeleau does is take a very undisciplined penalty when down a goal with five minutes left. Earlier in the game, he let his man beat him off the faceoff to make the backdoor pass that gave Grand Rapids an easy goal.

Growing trend with Chynoweth that I haven't liked is that the opposition always seems to make more adjustments. That's the third or fourth time that the Monsters have gotten out early in a game and really dictated the pace for the first period and then failed to adjust to their opponent the rest of the game.

As far as Pickard goes, I don't think he was terrible, but he wasn't great either. Far too many rebounds from him last night. With a defense unit that isn't very physical, he has to freeze those or focus on directing them to low-traffic areas. That's definitely a work in progress for him and something I hope we see progress with throughout the season. In his defense, and Mrazek's defense for Grand Rapids, both teams struggled with defensive zone coverage yesterday.

How far has Mark Olver fallen? Not only has his play been inconsistent, he wasn't on the ice when the Monsters went 6-on-5. As far as I can remember, Luke Walker, who has hands of stone and minimal talent, was on the ice. I give him credit for the fight, which he won, but he really needs to get motivated and be involved. He used to play fearless. Now he wants to loiter around in the slot and wait for someone else to do the work.

Another criticism of Chynoweth: The Monsters have been a very bad neutral zone team in the games I've seen. They started the year playing well in transition, but that was in the full ice/top of the circles game. In the neutral zone, it's just a lot of weaving with no passing - too much carrying. They've become too easy to defend and they are allowing too many puck carriers to enter the offensive zone without much resistance.

If you're not a physical team, you need to force the issue with speed and pressure. They're playing far too passive at their own blue line. Teams are starting to exploit that and they have yet to adjust. That's back to the point I made about not making adjustments. The opposition is picking up on this in a hurry and controlling the tempo and possessing the puck.

Just some thoughts. First game I've been to in nearly a month, so it was nice to see some live hockey.
Thanks for the update, I always enjoy reading your posts.

I think it's too early to say that Elliott is regressing. For sure, as you mentioned, his confidence is probably shaken but I think that kind of assessment can only come after more games have been played. Besides, he played the first 10 games of the year with "Mr. Brutal Sean Sullivan" and has just gone through a period with I believe a death in the family?? (not sure though)

He should be ok but I'd still really like to see him paired up with Gaunce instead.

As far as Chynoweth goes, I haven't been very impressed with him either.

Growing trend with Chynoweth that I haven't liked is that the opposition always seems to make more adjustments.

I guess he figures that if he also coaches like Sacco, he'll be the next head coach of the Avalanche for sure!

Old
11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Elliott stats remind me of Shattenkirk going 10 games without a point before his called up

Old
11-18-2012, 10:15 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Elliott stats remind me of Shattenkirk going 10 games without a point before his called up
The problem with Elliott is that he needs a specific kind of dman as a partner. Thats why we need to get Siemens partnered up with Elliott ASAP so they can develop together.

Elliott needs a classic stay at home, very good defensive partner, to cover up for his "short comings" which are lack of strength and tendency to be overly aggressive offensively which leads to big risks and leaving his partner out to dry. This is where Seimens comes into play as he is real strong and very strong in his own end. Hence why those two both had career years together a few years back. .

I think once those two get paired up we will be looking at our future middle pairing, hopefully with a strong first pairing with Johnson and whoever we can find, maybe even Barrie as the top pairing.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
The problem with Elliott is that he needs a specific kind of dman as a partner. Thats why we need to get Siemens partnered up with Elliott ASAP so they can develop together.

Elliott needs a classic stay at home, very good defensive partner, to cover up for his "short comings" which are lack of strength and tendency to be overly aggressive offensively which leads to big risks and leaving his partner out to dry. This is where Seimens comes into play as he is real strong and very strong in his own end. Hence why those two both had career years together a few years back. .

I think once those two get paired up we will be looking at our future middle pairing, hopefully with a strong first pairing with Johnson and whoever we can find, maybe even Barrie as the top pairing.
If Barrie can continue to play like he has played this year then I have no problem with him on the 1st pairing.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Except Shattenkirk has produced lots of points at the NHL level almost immediately upon arriving.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:33 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Except Shattenkirk has produced lots of points at the NHL level almost immediately upon arriving.
possibly because he was two years older than Elliott.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Elliott produced well for awhile too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
If Barrie can continue to play like he has played this year then I have no problem with him on the 1st pairing.
I wouldn't be against this or Elliott with EJ, if both could handle the left side.

But I think Hejda + one of them is the ideal situation.

Wilson - EJ
Hunwick - O'Byrne
Hejda - Elliott/Barrie
O'Brien - Zanon

That's just my two cents.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

From Friedmans 30 thoughts:

"That Lake Erie team is fast. "They play at NHL speed," said one opponent. The Monsters are Colorado's guys."

Old
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Elliott produced well for awhile too...

I wouldn't be against this or Elliott with EJ, if both could handle the left side.

But I think Hejda + one of them is the ideal situation.

Wilson - EJ
Hunwick - O'Byrne
Hejda - Elliott/Barrie
O'Brien - Zanon

That's just my two cents.
This I think too many people forget about wilson, and the upside he was showing at the start of the season. His breakout passes are underrated and when hes on his game the other teams fowards will learn to be distracted by his physical play.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
This I think too many people forget about wilson, and the upside he was showing at the start of the season. His breakout passes are underrated and when hes on his game the other teams fowards will learn to be distracted by his physical play.
The Avs will be in serious trouble if Wilson spends significant time as a first pairing defenseman. There is no upside left with him, he's a third pairing defender.

Closed Thread