HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

E. Kane Leaves KHL

Old
11-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
E. Kane Leaves KHL

http://www.thescore.com/home/article...-ways-with-khl

Quote:
Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has parted ways with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL, according to the Globe and Mail.

Kane struggled to say the least, failing to score any goals while adding only one assist in 12 games.

“Unfortunately, Evander Kane could not adapt to hockey in the KHL,” athletic director Igor Matushkin said.
Seems like the right place to put it.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:18 PM
hannes_ko

vCash: 500
It's not just Kane. For every Tim Stapleton and Eric Perrin we've seen guys like John Madden and Bryan McCabe, guys who wouldn't make the team without NHL status.

You just never know with these North Americans. I thought Corey Locke would be a star in Finland, but reportedly he's been terrible: lazy, disinterested soft and slow.

hannes_ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes_ko View Post
It's not just Kane. For every Tim Stapleton and Eric Perrin we've seen guys like John Madden and Bryan McCabe, guys who wouldn't make the team without NHL status.

You just never know with these North Americans. I thought Corey Locke would be a star in Finland, but reportedly he's been terrible: lazy, disinterested soft and slow.
Well Finland plays a very similar style to Canada, the only advantage Locke would've had is Fins' are generally smaller. He ceased being a star when he left the OHL a decade ago.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Not that I support the "lazy Russian" stereotype, but you have to figure...

Canadian guys are over there while their job is on hold.

Russian players come over here and make the NHL their job.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
Well Finland plays a very similar style to Canada, the only advantage Locke would've had is Fins' are generally smaller. He ceased being a star when he left the OHL a decade ago.
He won the AHL MVP 2 seasons ago.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Not that I support the "lazy Russian" stereotype, but you have to figure...

Canadian guys are over there while their job is on hold.

Russian players come over here and make the NHL their job.
So Kane wanted to play bad or didn't have enough heart in it to play for foreign team, and doesn't care now that he has no team no to play for?

Makes sense.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
He won the AHL MVP 2 seasons ago.
I stand corrected.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Chileiceman

being an NHL'er and going to the KHL doesn't mean instant success just because it's a "lesser" league. After having watched a ton of hockey from many different leagues, I think it's safe to say it's undoubtedly the second best league in the world. Better than the AHL by a fair amount. It's not like he failed in the ECHL.

For a crash and bang player like Kane, the style didn't favour him. I still was expecting way more from him. 1 point is inexcusable.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:56 PM
saillias

Happened to a lot of guys in 2004-2005.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

Too bad for winnipeg this didn't happen before they gave him the contract. Not saying he's a bad player, just saying when a player can't adapt to 2nd best league in the world then what leverage does he have? I will go play where i'm not going to have success?

Kane is great in the NHL but apparently not so great in the KHL.

Not uncommon or a shot at Kane, just generally speaking.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
http://www.thescore.com/home/article...-ways-with-khl

Seems like the right place to put it.
Interestingly enough Tim Stapleton is the leading scorer on the team (6th in the league). Kane just got a 6 year $31.5 M contract and is one of the Jets future stars and will potentially be one of the top power forwards in the league while Little Timmy wasn't even offered a contract by the Jets.

No better example on how different the leagues are. Kane is a North-South balls to the wall net crasher with great speed, great shot but borderline hockey IQ.

Little Timmy is the size of a bantom player, plays on the edges, excels with an East-West circling game and has an above average hockey IQ.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Iceonfire

People seriously need to stop doubting the quality of European leagues.
Remember the 2006 Olympics?

Or the recent WC and WJC?

European hockey programs are getting better every year. There are many talented players that simply choose not to play in the NHL. Look at the Super Series. I wouldn't doubt that there are a few KHL teams that would have a great season if they were playing in the NHL.

Iceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

I suspect that this failure is more about attitude than big ice. As powerful as kane is, he's also got some great wheels and a good shot. It's not all about crash and bang with him.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
While maybe he is just bad on the big ice surface in Russia, there could be other reasons too. Culture is vastly different, its not like he knows people on his team like he did in Winnipeg, Simmonds left Europe because of racial discrimination due to the culture so could be the same for Kane.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:17 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Kane, Stapleton, even Pavelec who played in his home country, will all be going back to North America.

Welcome home boys.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:39 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
While maybe he is just bad on the big ice surface in Russia, there could be other reasons too. Culture is vastly different, its not like he knows people on his team like he did in Winnipeg, Simmonds left Europe because of racial discrimination due to the culture so could be the same for Kane.
Simmonds left Europe because of a family issue. I'm sure the discrimination incident was tough on him, but that's not the reason he went home.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:42 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
People seriously need to stop doubting the quality of European leagues.
Remember the 2006 Olympics?

Or the recent WC and WJC?

European hockey programs are getting better every year. There are many talented players that simply choose not to play in the NHL. Look at the Super Series. I wouldn't doubt that there are a few KHL teams that would have a great season if they were playing in the NHL.
I wouldn't consider the Super Series a barometer of competition between the countries.

We aren't sending our best team up against the Russians, we are sending subsets of our best team(s) against them.

That said I don't watch the KHL at all, so has anyone actually seen the games to see what was holding Kane back? Was he not interested? Couldn't cope with bigger ice? Style didn't fit?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Kane, Stapleton, even Pavelec who played in his home country, will all be going back to North America.

Welcome home boys.
Stapler's coming home?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

From what I read he was... fired... Wish we could do the same in the NHL.... to you know who.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
From what I read he was... fired... Wish we could do the same in the NHL.... to you know who.
Maybe the NHLPA will realize how nice the NHL's guaranteed contracts are.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:51 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Too bad for winnipeg this didn't happen before they gave him the contract. Not saying he's a bad player, just saying when a player can't adapt to 2nd best league in the world then what leverage does he have? I will go play where i'm not going to have success?

Kane is great in the NHL but apparently not so great in the KHL.

Not uncommon or a shot at Kane, just generally speaking.
What leverage would Winnipeg have to use his success (or lack there of) in the KHL for a contract to play for them in the NHL. Will he ever have to adapt to the KHL while playing for the Jets?

That makes no sense.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:01 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
What leverage would Winnipeg have to use his success (or lack there of) in the KHL for a contract to play for them in the NHL. Will he ever have to adapt to the KHL while playing for the Jets?

That makes no sense.
I was referring to him(like russians for example) being able to say "I'll get my money here or in the KHL, pay up". Seems like its not his thing there. Just a joke more than anything else.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:02 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Kane is very hyped IMO, hes just fast and his shot is alright, No hockey IQ, hes not even that good, I wanted to trade him before the season, or I should say lockout, we could've gotten alot of value for him, but really the 2009 draft was kind of weak, not very, but a little, Schenn is good but a huge choker, OEL is good, Kadri isn't that good and a little overrated but better offense than Kane, Glennie was built by Schenn otherwise he would've gone late or not even selected at all, Cowen is good but a winner, and Paajarvi, again like Kane, fast but different style, better shot, but worse at timing and no IQ.

So I guess it wasn't a mistake selecting him, but signing him, YES, I wanted to trade him for a good value, or fool a team into making a Phil Kessel like trade.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Kane is very hyped IMO, hes just fast and his shot is alright, No hockey IQ, hes not even that good, I wanted to trade him before the season, or I should say lockout, we could've gotten alot of value for him, but really the 2009 draft was kind of weak, not very, but a little, Schenn is good but a huge choker, OEL is good, Kadri isn't that good and a little overrated but better offense than Kane, Glennie was built by Schenn otherwise he would've gone late or not even selected at all, Cowen is good but a winner, and Paajarvi, again like Kane, fast but different style, better shot, but worse at timing and no IQ.

So I guess it wasn't a mistake selecting him, but signing him, YES, I wanted to trade him for a good value, or fool a team into making a Phil Kessel like trade.
I'm not a big Kane fan, but the implication that Schenn is better and Kadri is offensively superior is frankly ridiculous. Kane scored more goals last season than the career NHL point totals for either of those guys.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:49 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 804
From watching Kane all of last year, I'd say he has one move. When the defense of the other team zeroed in on that move, he was shut down in all of those games. I was not very happy when they didn't keep Stapleton.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote