HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness V: Your cable bill is going up|Presser Tue @ 9:30am ET/6:30am PT

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
The Cubs fans and Red Sox fans weren't going for the superstars. It's the same as the leafs. They are storied old teams that have legions of fans
Yeah I know, but the team next door who's contending for the division title can't even attract 75% of the fans they do.

Old
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Honest question, What kind of attendence numbers do you guys think the jays can get with THAT line up?. Is 50000 a night unthinkable?
I don't think the dome can hold that many. I'll say pretty much sold out on the weekends and maybe low 30's during the week. That would be huge for the jays.

Old
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
If they build a winning atmosphere. You could have all these good players but be losing and people won't show up.
Even if they lose, there is enough hype that the first month of attendance is going to be monstrous in my opinion. Will likely taper off as the season progresses but I think the trade and signing has done enough to boost the avg attendance for the whole year.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:08 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Yeah I know, but the team next door who's contending for the division title can't even attract 75% of the fans they do.
Yeah it's just not their team.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
This is what worries me. Buck would be more willing to show d'Arnaud the ropes considering his age and his 1 year contract. JPA might be less willing and see d'Arnaud as a threat to his job and thus wouldn't want to help or mentor the guy. Obviously i don't know the guy but I could see this being someone would do.
It's things like this that just reinforce my respect for Anthopolous.

Buck could easily be dismissed as a throw-in to the deal by Miami to shed more salary. But he may actually end up playing a very important, if behind-the-scenes, role for the Jays in the development of their top prospect.

Same with Bonifacio. He's certainly not the high-profile asset that Johnson, Buehrle and Reyes represent, but his immense versatility, blinding speed and underrated skills will be a significant contribution, whether at 2B or from the bench. And he's cheap to boot (which you can't really say about any of the other guys added this week).

Golf clap, Mr. Anthopolous.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:10 PM
#Chychrun2016

vCash: 50
Acta or Tracy would be awesome, Acta has the Dominican connection, but I just have this gut feeling that Jim Tracy is the right guy for the job.

I've seen some posters putting Bonifacio at 2B, wouldn't Izturis be the starter? Ideally, both should be on the bench as utility players, but if we don't get an upgrade at second who do you think starts come opening day?

I really hope Buehrle gives the dog to some family he has in the States, what would he rather have, another world series championship or a pit bull? I know a dog can become your best friend, but its not like he'd be giving it away, it'd be with his family.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Opening Series will be a sellout... after that I think it tails down for a bit, until the team starts winning (and it will). Then eventually we will get high numbers, Rogers wants.

Honestly, if we show up this season, it will give Rogers more of a reason to possibly give AA more cash to re-up Johnson/bring in another elite pitcher
My wife just asked me what I want for Christmas. Blue Jays 7 game flex pack was my response. About ten years ago I use to buy them regularly, then it was just the toonie Tuesday games, lately it's been 1 game a year. I've never stopped watching the Jays but I've stopped going, I will gladly go and show my support again after these moves and a lot of my buddies are saying the same.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Miami average - 27400
Toronto average - 25921

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

I guess they'll have to play in front of only 5 then.
check the Marlins average attendance before 2012

and then take a quick guess as to what it would be in 2013, considering they had already dumped Sanchez, Infante, Ramirez, etc.

Plus, I was only kidding.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...romises-111612

Reyes and Buehrle were promised by Miami that they would not be moved.
If a team actually meant that, they would put it in writing.

That's what you get for trusting a Jeffrey Loria owned team...

Old
11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
My wife just asked me what I want for Christmas. Blue Jays 7 game flex pack was my response. About ten years ago I use to buy them regularly, then it was just the toonie Tuesday games, lately it's been 1 game a year. I've never stopped watching the Jays but I've stopped going, I will gladly go and show my support again after these moves and a lot of my buddies are saying the same.
Yeah, earlier today, around 3pm, I figured out what my Dad's christmas gift is going to be

Old
11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
No chance in hell.
I agree, not every game for sure. But I could definitely see a good amount of sellouts or close too it dotted throughout the season. Canada day ofcourse and opening week, but then there will be the perfect storm of a weekend game, good matchup, with implications on the standings, etc that will bring the fans out. Even more so into August and September if were really in the mix. The fanbase in energized, and excited about not just the ble jays organization, but the actually on field product, which will bring out the more casual fans.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Opening Series will be a sellout... after that I think it tails down for a bit, until the team starts winning (and it will). Then eventually we will get high numbers, Rogers wants.

Honestly, if we show up this season, it will give Rogers more of a reason to possibly give AA more cash to re-up Johnson/bring in another elite pitcher
Even Game 2 of the season usually drops to the 25,000 range.

I think if the Jays stay in contention all year long, we could be looking at a massive 40-50% raise in attendance.

Maybe 32,000 - 35,000 or so average a night.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Is there a 7 game flex pack?

I've only noticed 10 as the lowest so far.

I sprung for those last night.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:41 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Jays in contention, they'll average 32-35K per game. Those early weekday games still likely will be a tougher draw. I'm guessing 40K+ on most Saturday/Sundays all season though.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Is there a 7 game flex pack?

I've only noticed 10 as the lowest so far.

I sprung for those last night.
I don't know, it's been so long since I've bothered to check them out, for some reason I thought it was 7 game packs that I use to buy.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:52 PM
jbean

Oh man that would be a thing of beauty, I am always so embarrased at how many empty seats there are in the Dome as a Jays fan. With what looks like another mediocre year from the Raptors and no NHL at all the Jays could do very well. Not that these sports compete with them at the same time, just that sports fans will be starved and come out in solid numbers.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:55 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
This is what worries me. Buck would be more willing to show d'Arnaud the ropes considering his age and his 1 year contract. JPA might be less willing and see d'Arnaud as a threat to his job and thus wouldn't want to help or mentor the guy. Obviously i don't know the guy but I could see this being someone would do.
I have no worries at all that either of JPA or TDA or Buck will be more than willing to work together and help eachother all improve. One thing that does worry me about trading JPA before the season starts is having just Buck there to mentor and work with the young guys. Buck has a wealth of knowlege of the catching position, but JPA knows the pitching staff well. His knowlege of how each guy pitchs, there tendencies, stengths and weaknesses, is something I would want to keep around. atleast until around mid season or in that area. It worries me going into a season with three catchers that have little knowlege of our pitchers. I for one would want to see JPA calling the game opening day.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I have no worries at all that either of JPA or TDA or Buck will be more than willing to work together and help eachother all improve. One thing that does worry me about trading JPA before the season starts is having just Buck there to mentor and work with the young guys. Buck has a wealth of knowlege of the catching position, but JPA knows the pitching staff well. His knowlege of how each guy pitchs, there tendencies, stengths and weaknesses, is something I would want to keep around. atleast until around mid season or in that area. It worries me going into a season with three catchers that have little knowlege of our pitchers. I for one would want to see JPA calling the game opening day.
Buck would be familiar with 2 of them

Old
11-16-2012, 11:01 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Yea and spring training would help develop time with the others. Not worried about getting use to a pitchers tendencies.

On a separate note, I have to commend AA on the versatilite that he's given this team. 4 switch hitters. I'm pretty excited about that and the options the manager will have.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:02 PM
ALine

but then there's Morrow and Ricky, not to mention the entire bullpen.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:05 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
With like half the staff yeah, but our staff from rotation to bullpen is largely new guys. Johnson, Buehrle, the abundance of new relief guys. Really, JPA only has more experience with guys that were here in 2011 and 2012. Buck was here with guys like Romero, Janssen, and other pitchers that have been with the club for more than 2 years.

When you look at our rotation, aka the guys that will be pitching the majority of innings, Johnson and Buerhle will have more experience with Buck than JPA, and buck has also caught Romero before as well. So really it's Morrow and ATM Happ, who was here for less than half the year, that JPA has more experience with.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:09 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Even Game 2 of the season usually drops to the 25,000 range.

I think if the Jays stay in contention all year long, we could be looking at a massive 40-50% raise in attendance.

Maybe 32,000 - 35,000 or so average a night.
You can bet that this was the premise behind all of these moves. No team adds Reyes, Johnson, Cabrera and Buerhle to their team without expecting a huge increase in attendance and memorabilia sales.

With no hockey the Jays just became the big ticket in Toronto. These are very good circumstances for ownership to finally spend the big bucks.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:22 PM
mrburke

Cant wait for the press conference for the signing and the trade. Wonder if AA will also have the new manager by then

Old
11-16-2012, 11:26 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
3 of the starters which is just as many as JPA.
He would know Romero from his time here before and the 2 marlins we just acquired.

Edit: fixed mistake

Old
11-16-2012, 11:43 PM
oats
outshot

The Toronto Blue Jays held a dinner in Saskatoon tonight to raise money for an indoor ball park in Saskatoon. Former Jays Gregg Zaun, Roberto Alomar, and Duane Ward were there and so were Jamie Campbell, Sandy Alomar Sr., and Andrew Albers (Saskatchewan Male Athlete of the Year who pitched for Canada in the World Championship). Anyways a few interesting things were said. All of them were ecstatic about the Jays new acquisitions. Roberto Alomar and Duane Ward compared the team the Jays have now to the teams that won in '92 and '93. When Sandy Alomar Sr. was asked if he would become the Jays new manager he never responded. He talked about coaching Jose Reyes previously and said he was the one of the hardest workers he had ever seen. Probably the most interesting thing was Gregg Zaun said John Farrell was terrible. He said he let the players take everything way too easy and had everything unorganized. Anyway, I thought this stuff was interesting at least...

Closed Thread