HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIV - November Rain

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 02:21 PM
VaxjoDevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Wow that's a joke. That's their fault those suckers. Again this isn't cap circumvention? Both of these contracts were not cap circumvention?
No, signing bonuses are included in the cap.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
No, signing bonuses are included in the cap.
Yeah, but in the same vein as the Kovalchuk contract, these guys are making a HUGE chunk of their 14-year contracts in the first couple of years. The league really screwed up by allowing an acceptable framework. I just don't get why punishing the Devils was necessary after saying they would allow these contracts.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
CerebralGenesis

The problem here was that the NHL drew the line in the sand for everyone with the Kovalchuk penalty. Teams knew how far they could go without getting a penalty afterwards. Before hand, taems were just pushing the envelope further and further. The Devils and Kovy happen to be the ones with the speeding ticket.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Yeah, but in the same vein as the Kovalchuk contract, these guys are making a HUGE chunk of their 14-year contracts in the first couple of years. The league really screwed up by allowing an acceptable framework. I just don't get why punishing the Devils was necessary after saying they would allow these contracts.
This is what I'm talking about. Weren't those contracts front loaded like Kovalchuk's? Also where is the cutoff too on what's acceptable, and what's circumvention? I think the NHL just makes up the rules as they go.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:58 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
If there is a full season lockout, Minnesota will pay 20 million to Parise and Suter for doing nothing.

If you really think of it, the numbers, and what people make in average for working a full year, that is just absolutely ridiculous.

Poor players.
That fact, and the concurrent fact Leipold's one of the hard-liners in negotiations make no sense. You would think he'd want a season to get some value for his $20 million and keep the momentum the Wild had from their offseason splurge.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

This league is a Joke.

That is all.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

A bad joke too cause it ain't got me laughing.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Nick0930

So this league is Dane Cook?

Old
11-16-2012, 07:03 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Just realized, if the NHL cancels out the season and I get angry enough to never go to another game... the last one I saw was a Devils SCF win. Granted it wasn't winning the Cup, but still.

I actually think I might be okay with that.
I talked with a colleague tht was excited over the "progress" last month and got to say "i told you so."

The fans pay a disproportionate amount of league revenue compared to other sports and we get treated like total **** with lockouts and ever rising ticket prices.

They dont seem to care much about me so here I am caring...or not.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

it's just depressing at this point.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:55 PM
hlaverty06

Old
11-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Seems to me like Fehr thinks can bully himself out of this. Thing is he can't. Bettman is way too tough.
And the owners have more "survivability" to last through an extended lockout. They aren't the ones losing the prime of their careers, and most of them will be fine financially too.

Quote:
If there is a full season lockout, Minnesota will pay 20 million to Parise and Suter for doing nothing.

If you really think of it, the numbers, and what people make in average for working a full year, that is just absolutely ridiculous.

Poor players.
That was something they negotiated in their contracts because they knew a long lockout was a possibility. I don't begrudge them for having the foresight to get lockout "insurance", I begrudge a broken CBA for allowing such travesties of contract structures to begin with.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

This has got me more mad than ever thinking about this again, but who is the MORON(S) that decided September 15th was a good day for the CBA to expire? Who's responsible for this? A week before training camps start. That's just beautiful man beautiful.

It should have expired June 15th immediately following the conclusion of the SCF. Last person who tried to justify it expiring in mid September said it would be a mess with free agents not signed if it expired before free agency started.

I say to hell with the free agents, and let the deal get worked out first. It's like whoever proposed it to expire in mid September knew exactly what they were doing. Who could have possibly thought this was a good idea? That's when it expired the last two lockouts too.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:11 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
This has got me more mad than ever thinking about this again, but who is the MORON(S) that decided September 15th was a good day for the CBA to expire? Who's responsible for this? A week before training camps start.
The NHLPA Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
And the owners have more "survivability" to last through an extended lockout. They aren't the ones losing the prime of their careers, and most of them will be fine financially too.
Yet another reason why the Union is so stupid.

They thought they were all clever timing the lockout to occur riggggggggghhhhhtttttttt before the start of the season to maximize leverage.

Which makes perfect sense in a purely cutthroat fashion...........

except that it has one rather significant major flaw.

If the owners decide to call your bluff (which they did) not only do you now not have ANY leverage, but with each and every passing day you lose leverage. With every day, every week, every month cancelled, the owners have less and less incentive to have a season. In fact, I'd say mathematically we're getting close to the point where you might make the argument that the owners would probably be stupid to even bother with a 2012-2013 season.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:32 AM
CerebralGenesis

What's that sound? Oh the sound of the NHLPA's union breaking. If only someone would just take a chisel to it and speed this thing up.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Tedenboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
What's that sound? Oh the sound of the NHLPA's union breaking. If only someone would just take a chisel to it and speed this thing up.
See, this is what I was saying a while back. If a majority vote could be forced on the PA over the last league proposal, the "yes" votes would win by a landslide. But until the more vocal players stop representing their own interests, it's never going to happen.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:13 AM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
See, this is what I was saying a while back. If a majority vote could be forced on the PA over the last league proposal, the "yes" votes would win by a landslide. But until the more vocal players stop representing their own interests, it's never going to happen.
Fehr and Bettman both run dictatorships pretty much, Bettman can quash a deal with just eight of thirty votes iirc - and doesn't allow the owners to speak publicly during a lockout - while Fehr I don't believe 'ever' has to bring a deal to the players for ratification. What worries me about Fehr (among other things) is he probably got ironclad promises when the NHLPA begged him to take over that they wouldn't overthrow him and his brother the way they sacked any number of union heads in the past.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 11-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old
11-17-2012, 07:16 AM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Yet another reason why the Union is so stupid.

They thought they were all clever timing the lockout to occur riggggggggghhhhhtttttttt before the start of the season to maximize leverage.
I think it's just so their FA's can get contracts before the CBA expires under an old system. So now it causes a schism when the owners want to immediately slash HRR and the players have already been paid 57% of HRR under the old system.

Honestly I don't think it would make a hoot of a difference if the CBA expired on June 30, the two sides would basically ignore each other for three months (especially with the kings of obstructionism negotiating this deal) since neither side would have any incentive to negotiate.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:34 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

this league is quickly becoming the Dane Cook of sports

Old
11-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Same thing with the owners. It's a small junta of owners that are forcing the lockout to continue. If you took a simple majority vote of them, it would end tomorrow.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Tedenboozled

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...HL_talks_.html

aaand there ya have it.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:37 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Bill Clinton as a mediator. That could be interesting.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Bill Clinton as a mediator. That could be interesting.

And while we`re at it: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/1...hlpa-for-free/

Old
11-17-2012, 12:06 PM
VaxjoDevil

I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton would not use his time to be a mediator. If they think he will, they need a reality check of how important they are not.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Let the fans mediate.

Closed Thread