HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

U of Denver S&E Law Journal: Examining MLBPA History to determine Fehr's motivation..

Old
11-17-2012, 01:43 AM
htpwn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
He just doesn't care...the players are foolish to keep this guy...he has 0 interest in the game, or his players...the koolaid is tasty though...
Was Fehr not in Barcelona earlier this year at the IIHF Conference, speaking about how the NHL and the PA should more of an active interest fostering growth abroad? He certainly didn't come across as someone who was disinterested in the game, but for sake of argument, let's say he is...

If Fehr doesn't care about the players, why did he come out of retirement to do the job? Why have both MLB and NHL players said nothing but positive things about his stewardship? It isn't about money; Fehr has lots of it and could still have the MLB job if he wanted. I'd like to think it is bigger than some ego.

The fact is, Fehr does care. He does care about the players, he's at the very least pretended to be interested in the game as a whole, and quite frankly, the best way to help the players is ensure continue growth of the league and sport.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:53 AM
HockeyShack

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Was Fehr not in Barcelona earlier this year at the IIHF Conference, speaking about how the NHL and the PA should more of an active interest fostering growth abroad? He certainly didn't come across as someone who was disinterested in the game, but for sake of argument, let's say he is...

If Fehr doesn't care about the players, why did he come out of retirement to do the job? Why have both MLB and NHL players said nothing but positive things about his stewardship? It isn't about money; Fehr has lots of it and could still have the MLB job if he wanted. I'd like to think it is bigger than some ego.

The fact is, Fehr does care. He does care about the players, he's at the very least pretended to be interested in the game as a whole, and quite frankly, the best way to help the players is ensure continue growth of the league and sport.
If it's not about the money, then wouldn't EGO be the next biggest thing? The guy wants to WIN. (If I didn't care as a player about playing this season, I would have hired him too)

HockeyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:16 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyShack View Post
If it's not about the money, then wouldn't EGO be the next biggest thing? The guy wants to WIN. (If I didn't care as a player about playing this season, I would have hired him too)
I guarantee that nearly every single player cares about playing this season. Most owners too, for that matter.

There probably a fair amount of ego involved in the negotiations on both sides but I highly doubt that is why Fehr came out of retirement to take the job. I doubt he was sitting at home, got the call, and said to himself 'Yeah, I want crush the NHL after what happened in 2004-2005.'

What likely happened and I know this won't be popular among the very pro-owner BoH boards is that Fehr was offered the job, saw the disarray the PA was in, and wanted to help. That's all.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:12 AM
rockinghorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Nobody cares. Owners, Bettman, Fehr. Its all about $$$ and thats how its always has been.
It may be all about the money for owners and therefore Bettman.

After reading the 70 pages of the U of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal about the history of MLB's union and ownership struggles and that Fehr was a part of that for 32 years somehow I think, for him, it is much more than money for the players that he is in this for.

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Because the man ruined baseball. His track record means nothing but trouble for hockey and here we sit with nearl a third of the season wasted and we aren't very close to a deal.

Why would players be afraid to speak up? You'll have to ask them. It is impossible that 700 players - many of them making under $1 million/season - are all happy about not getting paid right now. I bet, if it went to a vote, you would probably see the latest NHL offer ratified.
I guess we'll never know. This is OT-ish for the thread though. Speculating about the status of the talks and who likes whom and whatnot has been moved to the NHL Talk board.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote