HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks News/Notes #10

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 02:30 AM
Inub0i
I will Q

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I want to believe the third player was Marleau, just to troll JR even more.
Marleau? Troll? I'd want to see that!

Old
11-13-2012, 03:33 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...-at?source=rss

Marleau adds a more strongly worded "coda" to his response to JR's book
Quote:
"To say that I don't care about my play or winning or being gutless is absurd," Marleau wrote in a text message. "I wouldn't have left home at 14 years old to play a game I didn't care about. I want to win more than anyone. Just because I don't jump up and down acting like a buffoon on the ice doesn't mean I'm not into it."

Old
11-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 155
Roenick was 10x the player as Marleau when it comes to the amount of effort he put into the playoffs. Roenick single handedly got us into the 2nd round in 2008 with his game 7 performance. Marleau was a -2 no show.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

No one cares about J.R. trying to stay relevant.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
No one cares about J.R. trying to stay relevant.
Don't think he's trying to stay relevant ... I think he's trying to make waves to sell his book

Old
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...-at?source=rss

Marleau adds a more strongly worded "coda" to his response to JR's book

Oh wow. Marleau is pretty steamed about this. Now I'm hoping for a verbal battle between the two.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Don't think he's trying to stay relevant ... I think he's trying to make waves to sell his book
Yeah because people don't give a **** about his book its funny how he talks about Marleau's lack of guts when he pretty much quit while on the Kings.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:

Oh wow. Marleau is pretty steamed about this. Now I'm hoping for a verbal battle between the two.
"For anyone to think they are trying to 'inspire' me by coming to my home and giving me their two cents is comical," Marleau said. "I will always welcome constructive criticism from my teammates, but I don't have time for the ones who have their own agenda or are just trying to make themselves sound better."

I'm sitting here cackling. Oh Patty.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Yeah because people don't give a **** about his book its funny how he talks about Marleau's lack of guts when he pretty much quit while on the Kings.
Is there something I don't know about when JR was on the Kings? As far as I remember, he was severely injured throughout that whole season, as opposed to "bumps and bruises" Marleau.

I don't necessarily agree with Roenick, but I don't disagree with him either. Marleau doesn't have to be physical to show emotion, but he should be more consistent considering his pay grade. Not consistent that he has to score since everyone runs into dry spells, but when he isn't scoring, he can't be a liability, which he was when JR made those initial "gutless" comments (Detroit series).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
And it's working since we're talking about it now.
On a similar note, the title of his book sounds incredibly pompous.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
"For anyone to think they are trying to 'inspire' me by coming to my home and giving me their two cents is comical," Marleau said. "I will always welcome constructive criticism from my teammates, but I don't have time for the ones who have their own agenda or are just trying to make themselves sound better."

I'm sitting here cackling. Oh Patty.
It's almost sad that this is probably the most entertainment the Sharks will give me this "season".

Though I wonder if anyone else on the team is gonna back Patty in the sense of going "JR has no clue" or something.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I don't necessarily agree with Roenick, but I don't disagree with him either. Marleau doesn't have to be physical to show emotion, but he should be more consistent considering his pay grade. Not consistent that he has to score since everyone runs into dry spells, but when he isn't scoring, he can't be a liability, which he was when JR made those initial "gutless" comments (Detroit series).
I actually agreed with JR when he made the gutless comments. Game 5 by Marleau was easily the worst game I have ever watched a top-6 forward play. Horrible. He was personally responsible for two of the goals and was a ghost in the offensive zone. I can agree with that.

But the rest of of the times JR has done things like this? Calling Patty out after '10 Avs Game 1 when there were half a dozen Sharks worse than him? Calling him out after the LA series when he had 5 points in 6 games, including scoring the 1st goal and having an awesome play on the OT goal of that amazing Game 3 comeback?

Quote:
It's almost sad that this is probably the most entertainment the Sharks will give me this "season".

Though I wonder if anyone else on the team is gonna back Patty in the sense of going "JR has no clue" or something.
True. This is the most exciting thing that's happened to the Sharks since they announced that they weren't re-signing Niclas Wallin.

Also, yeah I was wondering about that. I guess most guys are abroad, but still.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:00 PM
wtfisthis

Quote:

Highly doubt anyone on the team would do that, you can already tell by how they play on the ice. Barely anyone standing up for each other when things get rough.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:44 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

I have to say JR is probably right, he'll be in the HOF, don't think Patty ever will be at this rate. Patty is a physical specimen, if he changed his game and became more physical he'd me so much of a better player. Problem is that he's a *****, other teams know it, this is a change he should have made as a younger player and he could play in the area more by reputation now days, etc.

I know that Patty is just saying, i am what i am the way i play, why do i need to change, i'm successful at it, etc.. I think he's just way to comfortable in his environment / own skin. Problem is Patty was the team captain and should have been some kind of leader, at the time (when JR was on the team) i think JR was teaching leadership and guts to players like Patty, results are Patty was no longer team captain. Patty just needs more of a Bowman style coach i believe to achieve all he can with his skills and talents - someone to make him feel comfortable, someone gets him to play more to his abilities.

It appears to me that Patty is somewhat of an underachiever.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I have to say JR is probably right, he'll be in the HOF, don't think Patty ever will be at this rate. Patty is a physical specimen, if he changed his game and became more physical he'd me so much of a better player. Problem is that he's a *****, other teams know it, this is a change he should have made as a younger player and he could play in the area more by reputation now days, etc.
Which is why he's able to absorb large amounts of punishment and for the most part being able to shrug it off, while when Couture gets lit up we all worry that he got sent to the mental Caribbean.

You also didn't watch some of the games last year when all Marleau did was throw his weight around. He's no Thornton sure, but he can take and dish when he needs to.

Oh and the last time "he got fire and brimstone" Bieksa clowned him so hard it made the Ringling Bros blush. I'd rather not have one of our top offensive threats get wrecked like that on top of being out for 5.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:20 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
i know marleau gets a lot of love in there here parts, but i 80% agree with JR on marleau. guy is as inconsistent as you'll find in a highly paid superbly talented first line forward. with no injuries, he'll have wild swings season to season, and he'll have even wilder swings during the playoffs from series to series and even game to game. not just talking about his infamous first round scoring droughts - his defense (which is one of his strengths) will go out the window too sometimes. his performance during game 5 det that got jr's ire was indeed 100% gutless. he wasn't just playing poorly, or playing hurt or tired, it was clear to everyone that he just didn't play with any effort at all that game.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:47 AM
sirMcDuck

Tommy Wingels was selected best player of the month by Jatkoaika.com (biggest hockey website in Finland/biggest forum)

He was interviewed also about this and here is some quotes in english: (http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattelu...uvolaan/108013)

- I wanted to play here (Kouvola) and I talk with Sakari Välimaa (KooKoo gm) and he said I'd be a good addition for the team.

- Playing is of course little bit different 'coz sife of the rink but I enjoy my time on here Mestis (league name)

- I have enjoyed beeing here and team mates and coach are just all great guys. They have helped me a lot and made my time here just great.

- It was fun to visit at home and see family + friends, but it's nice to be here again and play. (Tommy visited in US for a week when the league was having national team break)

- Of course I'm little bit homesick and the eight hours time difference is tough but you just have to live with it.

- I'm very disappointed that I can't play in NHL 'coz of the lockout but it's great way to keep you in shape by playing and practicing here.

- Playing hockey is everything to me. After my career I will probably do some bussiness-stuff

He was also interviewed today by local paper. KooKoo is playing again this night. Tommy has scored 7+7 = 14pts + 9 in 9 games.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
You also didn't watch some of the games last year when all Marleau did was throw his weight around. He's no Thornton sure, but he can take and dish when he needs to.

Oh and the last time "he got fire and brimstone" Bieksa clowned him so hard it made the Ringling Bros blush. I'd rather not have one of our top offensive threats get wrecked like that on top of being out for 5.
I saw most all sharks games last season, he needs to do it all games, not the some games you observed. Some games to me is a one off, not a way of playing.

I think he'd be more of a threat offensively if he played the way JR suggested. Checking is part of the game, any player could get wrecked and be out for 5. I'd take that chance with Patty as he'd be a really great player to watch, and good for the team.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:05 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...89&feedID=5878

With 8 players in Europe and a few others practicing with "pro" squads, Kurz asks if Sharks have an advantage if there's a short season.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...vak-extraliga/

Handzus signs with European team (old "home" team).

Old
11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
If it's true, it was probably to agree with what he just said on TV. Vlasic is still in touch with Blake, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few still talked with Roenick.
I'd guess that one had to be Nabakov. Great goaltender, great guy, but definitely the kind to point fingers at everyone else.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:05 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I'd guess that one had to be Nabakov. Great goaltender, great guy, but definitely the kind to point fingers at everyone else.
Nabokov wasn't close to anyone though, so I'd be shocked if he kept in contact with Roenick. Not to mention Roenick said "Sharks players", and he wasn't a Shark at that point anymore.
Otherwise, I agree with you. Nabby is a great goaltender, but not so much a great teammate. You could tell by the ways the players talk that they prefer playing in front of Niemi a lot more.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I saw most all sharks games last season, he needs to do it all games, not the some games you observed. Some games to me is a one off, not a way of playing.

I think he'd be more of a threat offensively if he played the way JR suggested. Checking is part of the game, any player could get wrecked and be out for 5. I'd take that chance with Patty as he'd be a really great player to watch, and good for the team.
I can agree to the point that he needs to play that way more often but it's ridiculous that JR is singling Marleau out yet is letting Jumbo skate on this same issue. The reality is that Marleau is the more physical player in the context that Roenick is speaking about yet Marleau gets the criticism and Thornton doesn't. Thornton takes a lot of punishment and is physical in that regard but he doesn't throw his weight around like Marleau does and if people are going to throw Marleau under the bus like this, Thornton should be treated the same way.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:33 PM
WTFetus

Has anyone been keeping up with Pavelski in the KHL? Capgeek shows that he has 1 assist in 7 games.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

BMash23: Watching Natures Deadliest Creatures and a lot of snakes are being shown. No way am I going to South America or Africa without @Burnzie88 4:09pm, Nov 16 from Twitter for iPhone

Burnzie88: @BMash23 ha lets go! Some of those guys are pretty dicey I agree! 4:19pm, Nov 16 from Twitter for iPhone

BMash23: @Burnzie88 dicey is an understatement. I would go but you know some of us still have to play hockey for a living!!#scaredtogo #hatesnakes

Burnzie88 5:48pm via Twitter for iPhone
@BMash23 I'm still tryin to get on at @sfzoo as professional pooper scooper ... Maybe we do a tour there and stay alive! #summertime

Old
11-17-2012, 02:59 AM
JayP812
The Fin is In

vCash: 401
Quote:
Has anyone been keeping up with Pavelski in the KHL? Capgeek shows that he has 1 assist in 7 games.
According to Dynamo Minsk's website, he's injured

http://en.khl.ru/clubs/dinamo_mn

Closed Thread