11-17-2012, 04:37 AM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Why's that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Ya not really sure how Minsk would make someone appreciate Winnipeg more. I only went through there but it seemed like quite a nice place to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
It's a reasonably nice place actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjPx4...eature=related
I've been to Minsk a handful of times, both in the summer and the winter. I have a few Belarussian friends (although most live in the US now) and know a number of expats that are, or have, lived in Minsk.

Basically, it boils down to two things, language and climate.

If you don't speak Russian, it is a very isolating place.

Weather wise, in the summer, Minsk is quite pleasant. In the winter it's a completely different story. It is extremely overcast. Not necessarily rainy, just persistently overcast. To the point where you see less sunlight than you do in places significantly farther north.

I'm not saying it's any worse than the majority of other KHL cities, but for a 21 y/o living outside of North America for the first time, it's a pretty hard go. I know career expats that moved there after dozens of years living and working abroad and cracked after 4-6 months.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:44 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
If he can't play systems, he is never playing in the Olympics for Canada with top level coaches with systems. Albeit modified ones on short notice but systems which need to be learned in a short period of time.

Lets not forget Evander qualified to play in the KHL based on his world championship experience. NHL lockout non russian walk-ons have multiple restrictions in the KHL.

You must be a Cup winner, individual trophy winner, or participated in the World championships if I am correct.

Let's see what he does now. Vacation back in Vancouver or train with the guys in Winnipeg.

I hope he is skating at the iceplex next week.

There were other loopholes to get into the KHL (EDIT: HC already showed this)...

But I think you miss my point... I wasn't commenting on whether Kane would or could make the Canadian Olympic team or couldn't play a system at all. I was commenting that, (EDIT)even if he(EDIT) can't effectively play that particular E/W KHL system used by that particular team, if he was to play the Olympics it would be for Team Canada which he could potentially be able to play their type of system. They aren't mutually inclusive.

Last edited by garret9: 11-18-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: terrible grammar
garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
I've been to Minsk a handful of times, both in the summer and the winter. I have a few Belarussian friends (although most live in the US now) and know a number of expats that are, or have, lived in Minsk.

Basically, it boils down to two things, language and climate.

If you don't speak Russian, it is a very isolating place.

Weather wise, in the summer, Minsk is quite pleasant. In the winter it's a completely different story. It is extremely overcast. Not necessarily rainy, just persistently overcast. To the point where you see less sunlight than you do in places significantly farther north.

I'm not saying it's any worse than the majority of other KHL cities, but for a 21 y/o living outside of North America for the first time, it's a pretty hard go. I know career expats that moved there after dozens of years living and working abroad and cracked after 4-6 months.
Well, Kane's from Vancouver, so he probably doesn't mind overcast. He wasn't really there long enough to get bummed out by the weather.

Maybe he missed his GF. Maybe he thought he was going to light up the K and finds out he's 2nd (3rd? 4th?) fiddle to Tim Stapleton (!?). I know last year Kane would sometimes disappear in a game if things weren't going his way - maybe this is that writ large...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:20 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

TBH I didn't really care if Kane did well or not statistically... all I cared about is that this oppertunity would have improved him in the long run... time will only tell if it did, even if it was only through learn experience.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:22 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
There were other loopholes to get into the KHL (EDIT: HC already showed this)...

But I think you miss my point... I wasn't commenting on whether Kane would or could make the Canadian Olympic team or couldn't play a system at all. I was commenting that either can't effectively play that particular E/W KHL system used by that particular team and that if he was to play the Olympics it would be for Team Canada which he could potentially be able to play their type of system. They aren't mutually inclusive.
Fair enough.

I personally do not consider him to be a "smart" hockey player. Which could make it difficult to play many systems. He has played OK at the World Championships so the potential may be there.

Hopefully he learned something from this experience and ready to get to work if the NHL ever starts up again.

Idle time could prove to be damaging for a player allegedly of his character.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

The one thing I wish that NHL players who get released from their teams overseas for non performance would take out of the experience is what an incredible benefit guaranteed contracts in the NHL are.

I don't think it's talked about enough as one of the great things NHL players have in the CBA.

11-18-2012, 06:03 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The one thing I wish that NHL players who get released from their teams overseas for non performance would take out of the experience is what an incredible benefit guaranteed contracts in the NHL are.

I don't think it's talked about enough as one of the great things NHL players have in the CBA.
Pretty sweet isn't it? Most of us know two weeks notice and at best some severance pay. I was told that nothing in life was guaranteed.

Hello Mr. Wade Redden

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote