HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

OEL to Edm

Old
11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
(Oiler fan)

I would have done OEL for Yakupov on draft day, but after watching Yakupov light it up in the KHL, not to mention OEL's importance to PHX's future, I don't see it.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i was shocked to see a rational quality for quality trade proposal involving upper tier players...actually a really good proposal, though Phoenix would miss OEL more than Edmonton would miss Eberle. Pho has some solid D, but it isn't like they're sending off one of four of his calibre like Edmonton is with Eberle. If OEL doesn't flourish in Edmonton they're worse off, but not as bad off as Pho would be if Eberle fails to ignite. Marincin makes the face value about equal but situationally Phoenix risks more so I don't know if they'd do it.
Good proposal!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:41 PM
zeus3007*

As an Oiler fan, I'll say that guys like OEL don't get moved. Ever. Same with guys like Eberle when a team is building around them. Unless Phoenix decides to move salary and puts Yandle on the block, there's nothing to do between these two squads. Even then, I doubt there would be.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:03 AM
OiledGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i was shocked to see a rational quality for quality trade proposal involving upper tier players...actually a really good proposal, though Phoenix would miss OEL more than Edmonton would miss Eberle. Pho has some solid D, but it isn't like they're sending off one of four of his calibre like Edmonton is with Eberle. If OEL doesn't flourish in Edmonton they're worse off, but not as bad off as Pho would be if Eberle fails to ignite. Marincin makes the face value about equal but situationally Phoenix risks more so I don't know if they'd do it.
Good proposal!
There really isn't a way to send off a player of OEL's caliber without some risk. But with their system and the depth they have in the pipelines (including Marincin being added) I think that a player of Eberle's skillset would help Phoenix immensley.

OiledGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledGun View Post
I personally think OEL is one of the best young defensemen in the game and is poised to develop into an all situations number one defencemen.

My proposal is one that other Oiler fans probably won't like as it is dealing away a fan favorite but here goes:

From EDM:
Jordan Eberle
Martin Marincin

From PHO:
OEL

Is the value fair? This is my first proposal so flame away.
fair value. honestly not sure if phoenix would do it... my impression is with the defensive depth they have, they could as well trade yandle for help up front than trading oliver.

marincin is going to be good, but how good?

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:07 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
As a fan of both teams, I wouldn't do it from either side. The value is very fair though

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Within the next 3 seasons, Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov will be playing top tier hockey and have the Oilers offense ready for playoff hockey.

However, I currently do not see a top-pairing dman ready to blossom simaltaneously w/ "the kids".

Question to Oil fans: IF "OEL" at his current talent level were available to be drafted at this past years draft (2012), would the Oilers still have selected Yakupov?
There's this kid that signed with us as a FA this summer who is currently leading the AHL in scoring right now and is a +8 on a poor ES team, he's a pretty good player IMO. In 3 seasons time he'll be 25 years of age as well.

11-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Morlesio14*

Would edmonton rather have a good offensive puck moving defencemen or a good shut down defencemen to compliment the big 4.

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
There's this kid that signed with us as a FA this summer who is currently leading the AHL in scoring right now and is a +8 on a poor ES team, he's a pretty good player IMO. In 3 seasons time he'll be 25 years of age as well.
He could end up a good player, but putting up numbers in the AHL doesnt impress me much. I personally dont see top-pairing talent in him, he looks like a solid mid-pairing puck moving dman. I dont see a potential #1 guy in Edmontons system is all I'm saying.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
Would edmonton rather have a good offensive puck moving defencemen or a good shut down defencemen to compliment the big 4.
I would say shutdown, as we already have Schultz developing nicely. However, I would also consider Smid a very good shutdown guy, only a notch below a guy like Staal (though some don't see it that way). Therefore, a hybrid guy lik OEL would be perfect (especially in a future pair with countryman Klefbom) as a top unit down the road.

As far as the OP, swap Eberle for Yakupov. You don't deal a guy you just locked up long-term who is also your future captain's BFF. Yak is the more physically talented and dynamic player, but Ebs was just meant to be an Oiler. Ultimately it comes down to the Yotes choice, as they hold the upper hand in a trade negotiation like this (they have the commodity), but you don't trade the Western Canadian kid (and - to some degree - national hero) when there's an equally valuable trade piece that the team and fan base don't have as strong a connection to.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
He could end up a good player, but putting up numbers in the AHL doesnt impress me much. I personally dont see top-pairing talent in him, he looks like a solid mid-pairing puck moving dman. I dont see a potential #1 guy in Edmontons system is all I'm saying.
The style Schultz plays (key word here being style, I don't want people up in arms about a direct player comparison) is quite similar to the most recent Norris recipient. Uses a good stick in the defensive zone, but not very physical. Average/adequate in the defensive zone (much like Karlsson). Very dynamic handling the puck at the oppositions blue line, opens passing lanes most can't, gets shots through others can't, and makes excellent reads on pinching (much like Karlsson).

I tend to agree with you that an offence first Dman isn't as ideal on a top pairing as a Weber/Chara/Pietrangelo type, but if Karlsson can be voted the league's best defenceman, I don't know why a player with similar skill set couldn't develop into a first pairing guy.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:56 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Phoenix needs to add considerably, because Eberle is untouchable.

Yes, I love OEL.

He's for real.

He's a damn fine first pairing d-man, but Eberle is a hockey god.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:24 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Sounds like you haven't seen him play much, if at all.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:13 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

Yes, I love OEL.

He's for real.

OK, so who would you compare Eberle to - absolute best projection - as a player?

Reason I ask is OEL has been compared - max potential - to Niklas Lidstrom. There are very few players in the last 25 years or so I would have to add "considerably" to Lidstrom to aquire. Gretzky, Lemieux. Not sure of any others.

Last edited by ducky: 11-17-2012 at 02:04 PM.
ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:29 PM
avsman

What about Hall+Klefbom for OEL

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:04 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
What about Hall+Klefbom for OEL
The Oilers would want OEL + for Hall. The Coyotes would want Hall + for OEL. That's the pattern, and that's why this is a non-starter.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:

Yes, I love OEL.

He's for real.

Edmonton needs to add considerably because OEL is untouchable.

Yes, I love Eberle.

He's for real.

He's a damn fine top line winger, but OEL is a hockey god.

Look, two can do that!! Seriously? You think PHX has to add just because you think Eberle is untouchable? What if PHX thinks OEL is untouchable? I guess the Oilers need to add significantly now??

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:11 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Well then, what does he have to do to impress you?? 20 points in 14 games in the AHL is astounding for a D-man...
He's been the Barons' best player, best offensive player, best defensive player... Take it from someone who's watched all but two Barons games this year.

Putting up numbers in the CHL is even less impressive... Dougie Hamilton = way overrated.

Just kidding, he's a potential #1 D-man in my eyes.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:15 PM
franfrey*

Quote:

Yes, I love OEL.

He's for real.

This post is an embarrassment.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:21 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Edmonton needs to add considerably because OEL is untouchable.

Yes, I love Eberle.

He's for real.

He's a damn fine top line winger, but OEL is a hockey god.

Look, two can do that!! Seriously? You think PHX has to add just because you think Eberle is untouchable? What if PHX thinks OEL is untouchable? I guess the Oilers need to add significantly now??
No, seriously. In Canada, Eberle is a hockey god. Any gm who trades him is pretty much guaranteed to be out of a job within the year. He pisses excellence.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Reign Nateo

I wouldn't do it if I'm Phoenix. A guy that is looking like he'll be a legit number one hold more value than a scoring winger. Not a bad thought, but Phoenix gives up the more irreplaceable asset.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
No, seriously. In Canada, Eberle is a hockey god. Any gm who trades him is pretty much guaranteed to be out of a job within the year. He pisses excellence.
You mean Edmonton, right? And um so? Just because some people think he is a hockey god does NOT mean he is worth more than OEL. Saying he is worth more because of that, or because Edmonton thinks he is untouchable, so therefore PHX has to add significantly, is beyond stupid reasoning. Thadd, I've seen your previous posts, and I think your an excellent poster...but that one post made me

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
You mean Edmonton, right? And um so? Just because some people think he is a hockey god does NOT mean he is worth more than OEL. Saying he is worth more because of that, or because Edmonton thinks he is untouchable, so therefore PHX has to add significantly, is beyond stupid reasoning. Thadd, I've seen your previous posts, and I think your an excellent poster...but that one post made me
He's a Canadian hockey god because of his WJC heroics. That's part of the reason why so many people LOVE him on these boards (and that's how he became my favourite player even before he made it to the NHL).
But it doesn't change the fact that OEL is worth a bit more, and I would trade Eberle for OEL, as much as it hurts to say it.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:58 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Fair value, maybe add a 3rd from our (Edmonton's) side just to toss a bit more value in.

I still don't see either team doing it. Just because of the names both players have.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:58 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
No, I mean Canada. It would take a huge overpayment to get Edmonton to trade him simply because he is so well-liked. He's kind of a big deal.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote