HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 01:04 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
This was by FAR Nichushkin's best game of the series. If he plays like this constantly, he'd go top 10. He was actually passing the puck as well as grinding it out a bit. He still showcased his high end skill with a nifty move against Reilly to get a pretty good shot off.
It was most definitely his best game.
Hell, he probably made more passes in the first period alone than he had in the previous nine periods combined.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Qrispy

He is a power forward in the making. Forget about using teammates. He just needs to keep working on is his strength, speed, and shot/stickhandling to be a force in the NHL.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:27 AM
ponder

I was at the game today in Vancouver. I went in planning to watch a bunch of Canadians and Yakupov, but couldn't take my eyes off Nichushkin. He was the best forward on either team imo. Kid definitely has all the tools, he's big, strong, a great skater, and very talented/dynamic with the puck. I get the hype, I have to think that if he was Canadian he would go VERY high in the draft, but the Russian factor is scary. Have only seen a few games of his, hard to comment on the selfish/low iq comments. The Rick Nash comparison seems pretty good.

Last edited by ponder: 11-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 01:32 AM
EvoLu7ioN

So I was at game 6 of the WHL v Russia super series tonight, and let me just say this guy played like an absolute beast.

He was all over the ice, defensively responsible, constantly attacking the net, slippery in traffic, willing to drive to high traffic areas, lighting up the WHL D with tricky little passes that were so damn effective, demonstrating poise and patience, hard to contain along the walls, explosive in the open ice, quick release.

I saw a glimpse of this guys potential, and wow, was it ever special. He was excellent skating mechanics, a silky smooth stride, and he's built like an athlete with long legs and strong physique.

He's got this unique ability when he accelerates, he sort of stutter steps between strides every 3rd or 4th time, and he generates a strong burst using this technique. I've seen Kuznetsov use this technique as well, thought Nichushkin is more effective with it.

It may have been the fact he's been playing against men for awhile, but wow, I saw a guy with the potential to achieve the same level as a player like Malkin tonight.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Is he going to end up falling like Kuznetsov did? I'd really hope we take a flyer on him if he's available to us at the draft, but unfortunately Gillis has been avoiding Russian players like the plague.

He's big, he's skilled, he's everything. If he were Canadian/American I think he'd easily be a top-5 pick.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:13 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Is he going to end up falling like Kuznetsov did? I'd really hope we take a flyer on him if he's available to us at the draft, but unfortunately Gillis has been avoiding Russian players like the plague.

He's big, he's skilled, he's everything. If he were Canadian/American I think he'd easily be a top-5 pick.
Like I said earlier, I think he goes 15-20 range. He looks like one of those players who will need to add another element to his game in order to dominate anything more than a junior level.

I bet Tampa scoops him up if they have a pick in that range.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Like I said earlier, I think he goes 15-20 range. He looks like one of those players who will need to add another element to his game in order to dominate anything more than a junior level.

I bet Tampa scoops him up if they have a pick in that range.
He needs to improve his passing/awareness game. It's pretty clear that it's his weakness.

It would also help him dominate if he improved his 1v1 game, beating guys on the outside is already running out for him in VHL and only works in juniors.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:33 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
It may have been the fact he's been playing against men for awhile, but wow, I saw a guy with the potential to achieve the same level as a player like Malkin tonight.
Buchnevic played?? (Bragin´s words not mine)

Old
11-16-2012, 08:51 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
well, 95 is the most talented year Russia has had in a while. Performance at the Glinka tournament wasn't good though, but the amount of very good quality players in 95 for Russia is STUNNING.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well, 95 is the most talented year Russia has had in a while. Performance at the Glinka tournament wasn't good though, but the amount of very good quality players in 95 for Russia is STUNNING.
Who else is upper end talent for 95? Any other top 60 talents?

Old
11-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Nikita Zadorov is supposed to project to be a solid shut down defenseman, would probably go somewhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd round.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
This is only true if he stays in Russia. Those skills that Nichuskin has can only be learned in Russia. If he leaves Russia until he is 19 or 20 he will not perfect those skills and he will not reach his full potential.

Right now he is a great junior player, but far from a fully developed adult player. He needs to stay in Russia until he has reached his peak development level, may that be the level of Malkin or Kuznetsov.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
This is only true if he stays in Russia. Those skills that Nichuskin has can only be learned in Russia. If he leaves Russia until he is 19 or 20 he will not perfect those skills and he will not reach his full potential.

Right now he is a great junior player, but far from a fully developed adult player. He needs to stay in Russia until he has reached his peak development level, may that be the level of Malkin or Kuznetsov.
Sounds like Star Wars kind of thing. Only in the dark side can Anakin reach his full potential.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
cska78

Quote:
top end? Dikushin (stupid for moving to NA), Vorobiev (see dikushin), Lisov, Ilyin, Serbrennyakov (see dikushin), Barbashev (see dikushin), Zykov (see dikushin), Tolchinskiy (see Dikushin) just can't name all of them out of the top of my head, but there's a lot of good talent there, just look up the team that won the worl-challenger in Canada last year.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:29 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Nikita Zadorov is supposed to project to be a solid shut down defenseman, would probably go somewhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd round.
had he been a Canadian, top-3 selection, the guy is a wall and a future star-shut down d-man, too bad they all keep making this mistake leaving to NA.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:30 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post

signed!

Old
11-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Sounds like Star Wars kind of thing. Only in the dark side can Anakin reach his full potential.
Well, in this case it is the bright side.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
signed!
Why bother playing in North America at all?

Old
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
exactly my point, ruin what you had been taught all your life, to play on puny ice, risking a career threatening injury in a meet-grinder called NHL....Money comes to mind.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Why not to choose to play where you develop the best and thus give yourself a chance to have the best possible hockey career?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:08 PM
arsmaster

He sure is hard to contain going to the net against this level of competition.

Really good player, top 15 talent for sure.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:18 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
top end? Dikushin (stupid for moving to NA), Vorobiev (see dikushin), Lisov, Ilyin, Serbrennyakov (see dikushin), Barbashev (see dikushin), Zykov (see dikushin), Tolchinskiy (see Dikushin) just can't name all of them out of the top of my head, but there's a lot of good talent there, just look up the team that won the worl-challenger in Canada last year.
this ... sad story

Old
11-17-2012, 09:12 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
this ... sad story
well even sadder is best of CSKA's 97's being lured away from home to some midget Canadian leagues....some left a year ago, some a rebeing worked on to leave (Kashtanov primarily a rising star) This has got to stop and will stop. a lot of things I don't like about medvedev/efimov, but one thing is certain, they are TRYING to keep our prospects from wasting away the talent.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:27 AM
thrillhous

Saw some new posts in the Nichushkin thread so I was hoping I'd be able to read more impressions of his subway series performance. Instead I have to read yet another series of posts about Russians coming to NA to develop vs. staying in Russia. Seriously, please put your agendas aside and talk about the player.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Saw some new posts in the Nichushkin thread so I was hoping I'd be able to read more impressions of his subway series performance. Instead I have to read yet another series of posts about Russians coming to NA to develop vs. staying in Russia. Seriously, please put your agendas aside and talk about the player.
Agreed.

Closed Thread