HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season Madness V: Your cable bill is going up|Presser Tue @ 9:30am ET/6:30am PT

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Bjindaho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I'd have Reyes and Melky 1-2 all season long, especially vs RHP. This is what I'd do all year-

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
EE
Lawrie
Rasmus
Lind/(hopefully Gomes)
Izturis/Bonafacio
D'arnaud(hopefully he's ready)

That's the lineup I'd run out every day, I'm assuming of course that we sign Gomes, there really needs to be a platoon situation with Lind and Gomes absolutely mashes LHP. Ideally, you'd like the DH position, given our two best hitters are right handed, to be a big left handed power bat, but Lind and Gomes in a platoon situation can still provide good offense, somewhere in the ballpark of a .850 OPS is a reasonable expectation. I don't like the idea of having 3 straight right handed bats so maybe switch Lawrie with someone but still, The top 4 shouldn't be touched. The lineup really is molding into a legit scary offense. Two switch hitters who get on base and one who provides plenty of speed, big time power at 3 and 4, and a good mix of power, switch hitting ability and speed from 5-9.
1) I like the idea of a rollover offense. Once you escape the first 4 or 5, I'd like to bring up another top of the order and some guys to drive them in.

ie:

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
EE
Lind
Izturis
Rasmus
Lawrie
Arencibia

vs RH

and

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
EE
Davis
Izturis
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia

vs LH

Our lineup seems to support this kind of setup and it would essentially allow big innings to start anywhere (note: I have Lind/Davis at DH with Davis providing a different type).

2) I think a Gomes is unnecessary. Sure you get a bopper, but Davis is good vs LHP and provides an extra speed demon. Heck, a Bonifacio/Davis DH would create nightmares for opposing teams if we went that way. Power isn't that important with this lineup, because we have more than a couple guys who will be turning their singles into doubles via the stolen base.

On second thought, I'd LOVE a:

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
EE
Izturis
Bonifacio
Lawrie
Rasmus
JPA

lineup vs RHP

Old
11-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I'd have Reyes and Melky 1-2 all season long, especially vs RHP. This is what I'd do all year-

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
EE
Lawrie
Rasmus
Lind/(hopefully Gomes)
Izturis/Bonafacio
D'arnaud(hopefully he's ready)

That's the lineup I'd run out every day, I'm assuming of course that we sign Gomes, there really needs to be a platoon situation with Lind and Gomes absolutely mashes LHP. Ideally, you'd like the DH position, given our two best hitters are right handed, to be a big left handed power bat, but Lind and Gomes in a platoon situation can still provide good offense, somewhere in the ballpark of a .850 OPS is a reasonable expectation. I don't like the idea of having 3 straight right handed bats so maybe switch Lawrie with someone but still, The top 4 shouldn't be touched. The lineup really is molding into a legit scary offense. Two switch hitters who get on base and one who provides plenty of speed, big time power at 3 and 4, and a good mix of power, switch hitting ability and speed from 5-9.
Doesn't really work as you have 3 consecutive RH hitters followed by two consecutive LH hitters (Rasmus and Lind). They need to be more staggered in order to protect the lineup from late inning specialsits.

P.s. Gomes was traded........

Old
11-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
If you disagree with the premise of the question (which both your original answer and this one make clear), the answer should have been one which pointed out the flaw in the original question. Given the original question, the answer is 0. Of course, the original question uses arbitrary limits to make the answer 0.

Not only that, the other problem is who cares?

What some don't understand is that AA has essentially built the moneyball lineup. We have two mashers, but we also have guys with speed who get on. There is a decent chance we could lead the league in runs scored and only have 2 such players (because while homers are important and automatically score all runners on base plus the hitter, the feast or famine approach of the past has led to a lot of Ks when a single would score at least one runner). The reason RBIs don't matter is because while you expect your mashers to contribute a lot of them, depending on who gets on, you could easily see a guy like Reyes or Melky (or Lawrie) have a ton of them without many homers.
Do you understand the moneyball concept? It is about acquiring players whose statistical strengths are undervalued in the baseball market place.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:04 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Miami average - 27400
Toronto average - 25921

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

I guess they'll have to play in front of only 5 then.
You think the Marlins are going to draw that this year with the roster they have? Factor #1 - all the new players they had. Factor #2 - new stadium. Result is inflated attendance numbers. The Jays were only drawing flies after August. I wouldn't doubt the Jays attendance doubles the Marlins attendance this season.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Do you understand the moneyball concept? It is about acquiring players whose statistical strengths are undervalued in the baseball market place.
Izturis, Melky, and Bonifacio would be that or damn close. Especially with the lineup we have outside of those three. We are now a high OBP team with a couple of guys who can slug.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Doesn't really work as you have 3 consecutive RH hitters followed by two consecutive LH hitters (Rasmus and Lind). They need to be more staggered in order to protect the lineup from late inning specialsits.

P.s. Gomes was traded........
He's talking Johnny Gomes, who's a FA who mashes LHP

Old
11-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
1) I like the idea of a rollover offense. Once you escape the first 4 or 5, I'd like to bring up another top of the order and some guys to drive them in.

ie:

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
EE
Lind
Izturis
Rasmus
Lawrie
Arencibia

vs RH

and

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
EE
Davis
Izturis
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia

vs LH

Our lineup seems to support this kind of setup and it would essentially allow big innings to start anywhere (note: I have Lind/Davis at DH with Davis providing a different type).

2) I think a Gomes is unnecessary. Sure you get a bopper, but Davis is good vs LHP and provides an extra speed demon. Heck, a Bonifacio/Davis DH would create nightmares for opposing teams if we went that way. Power isn't that important with this lineup, because we have more than a couple guys who will be turning their singles into doubles via the stolen base.

On second thought, I'd LOVE a:

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
EE
Izturis
Bonifacio
Lawrie
Rasmus
JPA

lineup vs RHP
You are going to protect EE with Izturis????????

He won't see a fastball all season long.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:19 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Maybe CV changes his mind now and wants to stay at reasonable rates? I'd hate to let him go.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Bjindaho

The first question any managerial candidate needs to be asked is how they'd make a lineup out of the above guys.

If the answer is some combo that does a rollover then fine.

But if the answer is something like:

Reyes
Melky
Bautista
EE
Lind
Arencibia
Rasmus
Lawrie
Izturis/Bonifacio

then they have no business managing this team

While Arencibia has his flaws, in the rollover lineup, he gets extra opportunities with guys on, where his approach seems to be a lot better (82 wRC+ with no one on base, 101 with guys on (above average), and 157 (elite) with guys in scoring position) last year.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
You are going to protect EE with Izturis????????

He won't see a fastball all season long.
1) Protection is a myth. Having a good hitter behind you doesn't give you better pitches. Having guys on base for you does.

2) Izturis excels at getting on base. If you are dumb enough to pitch around EE to get to Izzy, then we'll start moving the line.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
1) Protection is a myth. Having a good hitter behind you doesn't give you better pitches. Having guys on base for you does.

2) Izturis excels at getting on base. If you are dumb enough to pitch around EE to get to Izzy, then we'll start moving the line.
Protection certainly is not a myth. It has a direct effect on what type of pitches are thrown to a hitter. While Encarnacion would see an increase in walks his power numbers would suffer because pitchers would be far less likely to challenge him with fastballs with a vastly inferior hitter behind him.

The idea of a roll over lineup is what is far fetched. It is simply something that is not used and is just a pipe dream of over enthusiastic fans. The idea when filling out a lineup is to give your best hitters as many at bats as possible. The only reason that the #3 and #4 hitters aren't leading off is because they would be guaranteed 1 at bat per game with no baserunners on base. Once the first two hitters of a ball game have hit the concept of a leadoff hitter is obsolete. You really don't want to leave a superior hitter in the on deck circle at the end of a game in order to perpetuate this roll over premise.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:41 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Has anyone made a joke about the only way jays could assemble a winning team was to sign someone who cheated yet?
worked for the yankees and I don't see them complaining too much about it.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Nobody has mentioned the fact that neither Reyes or Cabrera have ever played their home games in a hitter's park. The Rogers Center is one of the best hitter's parks in baseball, especially when the roof is closed. If they can remain healthy it is very possible that they can put up the best numbers of their respective careers.

People may point to the short right field porch in Yankee Stadium but Cabrera is a switch hitter and he was just a kid while playing in New York.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Protection certainly is not a myth. It has a direct effect on what type of pitches are thrown to a hitter. While Encarnacion would see an increase in walks his power numbers would suffer because pitchers would be far less likely to challenge him with fastballs with a vastly inferior hitter behind him.

The idea of a roll over lineup is what is far fetched. It is simply something that is not used and is just a pipe dream of over enthusiastic fans. The idea when filling out a lineup is to give your best hitters as many at bats as possible. The only reason that the #3 and #4 hitters aren't leading off is because they would be guaranteed 1 at bat per game with no baserunners on base. Once the first two hitters of a ball game have hit the concept of a leadoff hitter is obsolete. You really don't want to leave a superior hitter in the on deck circle at the end of a game in order to perpetuate this roll over premise.
Protection is a myth
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ion-look-like/

The above uses Miguel Cabrera as an example (and Prince Fielder who was "protected" by Delmon Young).

An objective definition of best hitter says that our top 4 are our best 4, but that our next best could easily be guys like Izturis, Bonifacio and Lawrie.

Add to that your comment at the end is absolutely impossible to predict (in fact, it is actually more common to have your 5-7 hitters up in the 9th than your top 3).

Lineup analysis is hard to do when every team fields the same type of lineup every game. FWIW, according to baseball musings lineup analysis tool (using last year's OBP and SLG) and my 9 guys, our best lineup is Melky - EE - Lawrie - Bautista - Reyes - Rasmus - Izturis - Arencibia - Bonifacio.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
You think the Marlins are going to draw that this year with the roster they have? Factor #1 - all the new players they had. Factor #2 - new stadium. Result is inflated attendance numbers. The Jays were only drawing flies after August. I wouldn't doubt the Jays attendance doubles the Marlins attendance this season.
But that's not what was stated by the poster. He said they WERE playing in front of X number of fans. I just showed that Miami had more fans on average than Toronto through the whole year. It is pretty obvious that Toronto will draw bigger names with big names being put in our line up and Miami pulling less as they pretty much got gutted.

11-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Nobody has mentioned the fact that neither Reyes or Cabrera have ever played their home games in a hitter's park. The Rogers Center is one of the best hitter's parks in baseball, especially when the roof is closed. If they can remain healthy it is very possible that they can put up the best numbers of their respective careers.

People may point to the short right field porch in Yankee Stadium but Cabrera is a switch hitter and he was just a kid while playing in New York.
Applies to Bonifacio and Izturis as well. Neither are power hitters, but they should see a modest bump. Izturis in particular is a much better for his career on the road away from Angels Stadium and its 0.812 runs factor (4th lowest in the majors).

Interesting side note: the new Marlins Park ranked very similar to the Rogers Centre in 2012 - both middle-of-the-road with 1.005 and 1.008 runs, good for 16th and 15th overall, respectively. But RC boasted 1.03 homers to Marlins Park's 0.72, so the former Marlins players should all see a few more dingers this year.

(What's strange is that in 2011, the RC ranked 4th highest in park factor with 1.152 runs... So what happened last season?)

Old
11-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
If you want to get into lineups and 'protection myths', then Bautista really should not be hitting 3rd. In fact, you should probably put Lind in the 3rd spot.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
If you want to get into lineups and 'protection myths', then Bautista really should not be hitting 3rd. In fact, you should probably put Lind in the 3rd spot.
We have a dynamic that hasn't really existed before. Most lineup theories are based on the idea that a lineup can only have 5 guys in it who excel with the bat in any facet. Depending on what we do, we could easily have two good leadoff hitters (Reyes, Izturis), two good #2s (Melky, Bonifacio/Davis), and the makings of two middle of the orders (Bautista, EE, Lawrie, Arencibia). Rasmus is the only guy that is tough to slot in this order (which is why he is 2nd half and in a projected run driving spot). If Rasmus were moved and that became, say, Gose, the lineup would be infinitely easier to craft (though at that point, we'd definitely be wanting a Johnny Gomes to have a DH that can drive people in).

We are going to have the kind of lineup where we move the line, steal some bases, and watch runs be more a product of good at-bats with guys on than hitting homers all the time. Essentially, we'll be a better NL team.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Protection is a myth
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ion-look-like/

The above uses Miguel Cabrera as an example (and Prince Fielder who was "protected" by Delmon Young).

An objective definition of best hitter says that our top 4 are our best 4, but that our next best could easily be guys like Izturis, Bonifacio and Lawrie.

Add to that your comment at the end is absolutely impossible to predict (in fact, it is actually more common to have your 5-7 hitters up in the 9th than your top 3).

Lineup analysis is hard to do when every team fields the same type of lineup every game. FWIW, according to baseball musings lineup analysis tool (using last year's OBP and SLG) and my 9 guys, our best lineup is Melky - EE - Lawrie - Bautista - Reyes - Rasmus - Izturis - Arencibia - Bonifacio.
The stats completely support my points. Cabrera hit 14 more hr's and walked 40+ fewer times with Fielder protecting him..........huge differentials. Fielder can't be used in this comparable as he didn't have sufficient protection in Milwaukee either. I don't want to hear about OPS in Cabrera's case as it is a very flawed stat as it weighs OBP as having equal value as SLG PCT which is absolutely wrong. Both the oldtimers and the geek squad are wrong in their analysis of baseball stats. The answer lies somewhere between the two albeit closer to the stat nerds than the dinosaurs.

I can't tell you how many times ex pitchers have admitted to protection factoring into their approach to dealing with the hitter that they are facing. It is ludicrous that the nerds try to disprove something that the athletes freely admit to doing. Don't get me wrong, I tend to side with the modern approach of stat analysis versus the Joe Morgan's of the world but there are too many variables to be accounted for by only looking at stats.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Bjindaho

It should be noted that almost any lineup I could generate using simply OBP and SLG stats from last year (which completely undermines the speed element and the fact that we could get 30+ steals from our SS, 2B, and DH positions in my lineup) is projected to score 5+ runs per game as long as JPA doesn't lead off (which no one in their right mind would suggest).

Old
11-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
We have a dynamic that hasn't really existed before. Most lineup theories are based on the idea that a lineup can only have 5 guys in it who excel with the bat in any facet. Depending on what we do, we could easily have two good leadoff hitters (Reyes, Izturis), two good #2s (Melky, Bonifacio/Davis), and the makings of two middle of the orders (Bautista, EE, Lawrie, Arencibia). Rasmus is the only guy that is tough to slot in this order (which is why he is 2nd half and in a projected run driving spot). If Rasmus were moved and that became, say, Gose, the lineup would be infinitely easier to craft (though at that point, we'd definitely be wanting a Johnny Gomes to have a DH that can drive people in).

We are going to have the kind of lineup where we move the line, steal some bases, and watch runs be more a product of good at-bats with guys on than hitting homers all the time. Essentially, we'll be a better NL team.
All of Izturis/Bonifacio/Davis are poor #1/#2 hitters as not one of them has a career OBP of .330. Ideally they are all #8/#9 hitters as they are all slap hitters. If any of these three are at the top of a teams order it is a red flag that you have a serious hole in your lineup.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
The stats completely support my points. Cabrera hit 14 more hr's and walked 40+ fewer times with Fielder protecting him..........huge differentials. Fielder can't be used in this comparable as he didn't have sufficient protection in Milwaukee either. I don't want to hear about OPS in Cabrera's case as it is a very flawed stat as it weighs OBP as having equal value as SLG PCT which is absolutely wrong. Both the oldtimers and the geek squad are wrong in their analysis of baseball stats. The answer lies somewhere between the two albeit closer to the stat nerds than the dinosaurs.

I can't tell you how many times ex pitchers have admitted to protection factoring into their approach to dealing with the hitter that they are facing. It is ludicrous that the nerds try to disprove something that the athletes freely admit to doing. Don't get me wrong, I tend to side with the modern approach of stat analysis versus the Joe Morgan's of the world but there are too many variables to be accounted for by only looking at stats.
No, just no...

There's a reason why sabrmetrics exist. It's because players always used to stick to their pre-conceived notions and refuse anything that didn't fit in. Protection is one of those myths.

If you had actually bothered to read the article, you'd see that both Cabrera and Fielder got the same percentage of fastballs, similar percentages of strikes, and while Cabrera's IBBs went down, he still got intentionally walked quite a bit. The big difference is that Miguel hit the ball harder when he hit it. That isn't protection, that is Miguel Cabrera having a good year.

Did a little looking and while 2011 Prince may not work, 2010 Prince had Jimmy Edmonds who posted a great year. That Prince saw 1% more fastballs than last year, saw more strikes than 2011 Prince (.3% less than 2012 Prince), and since you like basic stats, he also walked more and homered about the same despite his "protection".

Old
11-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Applies to Bonifacio and Izturis as well. Neither are power hitters, but they should see a modest bump. Izturis in particular is a much better for his career on the road away from Angels Stadium and its 0.812 runs factor (4th lowest in the majors).

Interesting side note: the new Marlins Park ranked very similar to the Rogers Centre in 2012 - both middle-of-the-road with 1.005 and 1.008 runs, good for 16th and 15th overall, respectively. But RC boasted 1.03 homers to Marlins Park's 0.72, so the former Marlins players should all see a few more dingers this year.

(What's strange is that in 2011, the RC ranked 4th highest in park factor with 1.152 runs... So what happened last season?)
Nothing strange at all.......simply proves that these are useless stats. Miami has a huge pitchers park and the Roger Center is a great hitters park. These are facts supported by comments from the players who actually play in them.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
All of Izturis/Bonifacio/Davis are poor #1/#2 hitters as not one of them has a career OBP of .330. Ideally they are all #8/#9 hitters as they are all slap hitters. If any of these three are at the top of a teams order it is a red flag that you have a serious hole in your lineup.
So the .337 beside Maicer Izturis's career OBP is a mistake? Also should point out that the reason I suggested a platoon is because Davis/Bonifacio have fairly skewed splits. Bonifacio has a .337OBP versus righties and Davis has a .349 OBP versus lefties.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Nothing strange at all.......simply proves that these are useless stats. Miami has a huge pitchers park and the Roger Center is a great hitters park. These are facts supported by comments from the players who actually play in them.
It's one thing to argue with people and make a sound argument (or to use subjective measures and suggest that the statistics are incomplete). It's another altogether to suggest that the statistics are completely useless because they don't agree with your notions. Rogers Center varies from year to year, and a large part of that is the strength of the home team.

Closed Thread