HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Just got home from our new arena.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:15 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
Wonder where the Isles will end up after 2040. Will the Barclays go through a major renovation to accommodate hockey, or will the Isles move elsewhere? I hope the Isles stay in the New York City side of Long Island.
The least of our worries now. Do you realize that at least a handful of us won't be alive in 2040?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

The hockey setup will be fine. An accidental gem. Have you been to Barclay's yet?
I haven't but I have no doubt it's first class as a bball/entertainment arena. I even like that it is more intimate than these sterile, cookie-cutter arenas that have popped up over the past decade.

However if the pictures of the hockey setup are true then behind one of the nets you will not be able to see that net and they won't sell most seats. Looks like they're even going to put a black curtain behind the net so that we dont see the unsold seats.

Therefore the entire vibe will change when a significant part of the arena is unsold and noise isn't generated by fans not there.

I'm happy the isles are staying in the area, but this isn't an ideal scenario.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I haven't but I have no doubt it's first class as a bball/entertainment arena. I even like that it is more intimate than these sterile, cookie-cutter arenas that have popped up over the past decade.

However if the pictures of the hockey setup are true then behind one of the nets you will not be able to see that net and they won't sell most seats. Looks like they're even going to put a black curtain behind the net so that we dont see the unsold seats.

Therefore the entire vibe will change when a significant part of the arena is unsold and noise isn't generated by fans not there.

This Arena is IDEAL. Better ice for hockey, better atmosphere, transportation, food, experiences for the family. All the way around great!

And it seems loud enough for Hockey! I live in Florida, originally from Jersey and have never been to the Rock or the Clay! I have gone to the dump called the Mausoleum.

http://thisisham.com/2012/11/04/jay-...ants-brooklyn/

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Islanders1932

If there is no one sitting on one side of the arena, there could be a goal and the fans reaction would be so delayed. Sometimes the people on one side of the ice only know there is a goal because the fans on the other side stand up

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Is this the same as Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn? If so, the last time I had that spumoni was probably 35 years ago, and I still remember it. The best dessert food I've ever eaten.
Yes, it's the same.

11-17-2012, 09:21 AM
kpap57

I have to think they will do some renovations to that side in the future. I mean the team will be there for 25 yrs, if not more. Plus hopefully the better ice will cut down on freak injuries for our team. I think these things will work out in the coming years. Deff have to get my one year old son down to the old barn, before it closes for good. I am very happy that there will be the islanders for my son to watch growing up. Unless he is like me and become the opposite fan of all his fathers teams. Lol.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:51 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
I have to think they will do some renovations to that side in the future. I mean the team will be there for 25 yrs, if not more. Plus hopefully the better ice will cut down on freak injuries for our team. I think these things will work out in the coming years. Deff have to get my one year old son down to the old barn, before it closes for good. I am very happy that there will be the islanders for my son to watch growing up. Unless he is like me and become the opposite fan of all his fathers teams. Lol.
I found it interesting that you became a fan of the "opposite" teams of your father. I, for one, followed in my father's path. Thanks dad...for making me an Isles, Jets and Mets fan. It's been great for the past 38 years! LOL

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:45 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
I found it interesting that you became a fan of the "opposite" teams of your father. I, for one, followed in my father's path. Thanks dad...for making me an Isles, Jets and Mets fan. It's been great for the past 38 years! LOL

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:05 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

Ideal? Beggars can't be choosers. They just escaped Quebec, Seattle and worse nassau. Not many people support this franchise so they got lucky staying local. Why don't you wait until you see what it's like for hockey and the total vibe before pre-judging? 3 years can bring a lot of changes. They'll be there for 25 years so accept it or move on.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:05 PM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Hahahaah this is great!

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:14 PM
potvins4cups

I have to go to our new arena on day very soon.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:16 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I guess I'm a YIJ? Or a JIY?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:29 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yes, it's the same.
Great, thanks! Yet another reason to get to a game.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Chardo

Just wondering, center ice is not exactly center arena. Will there be any problem positioning the TV camera on the red line?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Just wondering, center ice is not exactly center arena. Will there be any problem positioning the TV camera on the red line?
Man I love reading these threads, you guys think of everything. This is now my number one concern. However I have to imagine they are already working on this

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
blitzkriegs

There's three years to figure out how this whole thing works. I highly, highly doubt the NHL would approve the Isles moving to Brooklyn with LESS seats, yet more luxury boxes and in NYC and signing a 30yr lease without knowing what the plans are for the rink, etc. in 2015.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Bossyfan71

I would also think it would depend on Wang. Would he stay in NVMC until they are able to add the seats or will be try and get to Brooklyn before the contract is out and just have Barclays put in the seats in the offseason?

Mike

Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
There's three years to figure out how this whole thing works. I highly, highly doubt the NHL would approve the Isles moving to Brooklyn with LESS seats, yet more luxury boxes and in NYC and signing a 30yr lease without knowing what the plans are for the rink, etc. in 2015.
25 year lease. They know and will investigate to add.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote