HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
11-10-2012, 08:14 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
And why is that genius? Did you forget to read anything that was posted?

By far the most corporate support, and on top of that the MASSIVE population advantage. NYR cant even get more people to watch the rangers on tv than the penguins when they have about a 20x population advantage; in a year in which the rangers were better and the penguins were without crosby.

Isles have their lucrative, local cable deal: $425m-$450m remaining.

What the isles need is to put a product on the ice, that fills those 100 luxury suites.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...rclays-center/

IPB visits (at college BB game) and comments on Barclays Center and the potential benefits for NYI fans who'll attend games.

Quote:
As for the arena, which was the the main attraction for me, it is gorgeous, very modern, a stone’s throw from the LIRR, and even closer to a bunch of subway lines (See that big green, grassy hill in the photo above? That’s the backside of an Atlantic Avenue subway entrance). Playing in this arena will finally bring the Islanders into a 21st century sports arena. It’s also for better or worse a lot different than anything Islander fans are used to at the Coliseum.

The arena rises up in the middle of the urban area with one crosswalk between the LIRR’s Atlantic Terminal station and Barclays. The area’s busy, like anything you might expect outside an arena or in downtown Brooklyn. But you quickly step into the corporate arena confines of Barclays Center. If you’ve been to the Prudential Center in Newark, that’s kind of how this arena feels. Right in the middle of the downtown, without the sprawling parking lots that double as tailgate spots you’ll find in a more suburban spot. The most obvious difference between this and Prudential is New Jersey Devils red has been substituted for Barclays Corporation blue. And there’s a lot of blue.
The concourse of the arena was certainly smaller than I expected. Imagine a really nice version of the pre-renovation MSG with Brooklyn-based concession stands and staff everywhere.
Space was clearly a bit of an issue with this arena, otherwise I’m sure the concourses would have been wider. It doesn’t effect the flow much, as there were barely lines for the bathrooms, even at halftime of the sold out Maryland/Kentucky matchup. The lines for concessions and beer did have some length at the half, but that’s something you’ll find at every sold out arena everywhere. That was under the sidelines, too. Under the end zones, the concourse wasn’t crowded at all at halftime.

Inside the concourse and the main atrium, the arena is absolutely gorgeous and shines. It’s a step into the newest of new arenas and a far cry from anything at the Coliseum.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:01 PM
xdl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You are ignoring the fact that since 2007, Wang and Snow have done nothing to bring tix buyers out. Wang's been content to hover around the cap floor.

Last yr, Isles payroll was $36m after taking out unlikely to be reached bonuses. Nino making a base salary of $900,000 and having almost $2m, in unreached bonuses.

You really think, if the isles had used Nino's roster spot on a star player like Ryan at $5m, that would not have effected tix sales ansd the on ice product?
Ryan over Nino is an addition of 3M in salary. At $25 per ticket for 41 games, that is an extra 2700 tickets per game, or at $50, an extra 1350 tickets. Those are the numbers just to break even. Ovechkin or Crosby would sell those seats, but someone at a 5M salary isn't going to bring in those numbers by himself. The team would have to be winning the division, or at the very least be on pace for 100 point seasons.

Edit: I said 3M, and not 4M. It's actually 4M when you consider the performance bonuses that won't be paid to Nino. I left it as is, because the ticket numbers would be even higher.

xdl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey Hanrahan

Quote:

By far the most corporate support, and on top of that the MASSIVE population advantage. NYR cant even get more people to watch the rangers on tv than the penguins when they have about a 20x population advantage; in a year in which the rangers were better and the penguins were without crosby.
I am a Steeler fan living in NY, have been to Pittsburgh several times and have a special affinity for the city. Also, as an Isles fan, I have no love lost for the Rangers. However, not only do the Rangers share the market with 2 other hockey teams, but the New York-area hockey teams compete for fall/winter viewership and dollars against 2 professional basketball teams (especially the Knicks whose viewership is 4x the Rangers), while the Penguins compete with, what, Panthers basketball?

I may agree that NY isn't a big hockey town (owing in large part to demographics, IMO). But it's stupid to say NY isn't a sports town without taking account of viewership of ALL available pro sports.

Hey Hanrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1500
Quote:

The all-mighty sports town of Pittsburgh were willing to let the team move to Kansas City. Great fans.

The Rangers don't have the most fans and it's embarrassing in a market of this size, but we will have this same number no matter how bad we are. They nearly sold out in the years they missed the playoffs for like seven years in a row. Pittsburgh was an embarrassment before Crosby. And like the above poster said, we compete with two hockey teams, two basketball teams, and two football teams, all within the same season. They also compete for about a month with the Yankees and Mets, all while Pittsburgh competes with one football team and the ****ing Pirates, who also have extreme problems attendance-wise. And look how there attendance just magically happened to get better once the team was showing signs of improvement.

I wish NY was more like Pittsburgh.

11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The all-mighty sports town of Pittsburgh were willing to let the team move to Kansas City. Great fans.

The Rangers don't have the most fans and it's embarrassing in a market of this size, but we will have this same number no matter how bad we are. They nearly sold out in the years they missed the playoffs for like seven years in a row. Pittsburgh was an embarrassment before Crosby. And like the above poster said, we compete with two hockey teams, two basketball teams, and two football teams, all within the same season. They also compete for about a month with the Yankees and Mets, all while Pittsburgh competes with one football team and the ****ing Pirates, who also have extreme problems attendance-wise. And look how there attendance just magically happened to get better once the team was showing signs of improvement.

I wish NY was more like Pittsburgh.
If no Mario, no Sid there's no team in Pitt. NY supports SO many teams and other events it's like LA in that it's so big and has so many diverse people that sports is just a part of the big world and many things to do.

Until NYI take over the city, country and world being in Brooklyn that is.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

So this is what it looks like for hockey at Barclays? The jumbotron is not directly above center ice.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:34 AM
CREW99AW

Isles have always been big on community outreach in Nassau County.
Now, it looks like they won't wait until 2015 to start reaching out to their potential new fans in Brooklyn.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...klyn?ref=yahoo
Finally, the Islanders should not forget where they came from. I love that they are already doing school assemblies in Brooklyn to introduce the team to local kids, but that doesn't mean the assemblies, youth clinics, and other very important charitable activities in Nassau and Suffolk should be lost. It would be a crying shame if this move also separated youth hockey players on Long Island from what was an amazing engine for its growth. The Islanders won 4 Stanley Cups on Long Island, and they can't forget that any more than those of us who are no longer living in the area can deny where we came from. Don't blame the local fan base for what politicians did.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Isles Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
So this is what it looks like for hockey at Barclays? The jumbotron is not directly above center ice.

This just looks so bad . I'm not feeling this arena. Pending and major renovations, this is going to be another joke of a move this organization makes. I'm trying to reserve judgement until they actually start playing there but it doesn't look good.

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:22 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Shawn View Post
This just looks so bad . I'm not feeling this arena. Pending and major renovations, this is going to be another joke of a move this organization makes. I'm trying to reserve judgement until they actually start playing there but it doesn't look good.
That's reserving judgement?

So, given the choice of moving to Barclay's and making $35m more on luxury suites alone, Wang should have moved the team out of state?

With $425m-$450m left on the cable deal, he should have sold for $200m-$300m?

Old
11-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I go to a hockey game to watch hockey. It's not friggin' interior design competition - if the symmetry of the scoreboard affects the ability to enjoy the game, you're doing something wrong.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:

So, given the choice of moving to Barclay's and making $35m more on luxury suites alone, Wang should have moved the team out of state?

Looks like Phoenix all over again for hockey.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Isles Shawn

Quote:

I said I was trying to reserve judgement but I can't. I can't comment on what Wang was to do as none of us know all the details in full. Wang didn't help though as no one wanted to work with him. He's no angel here.

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:34 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Looks like Phoenix all over again for hockey.
I've no idea if Phoenix has 100 luxury suites to fill, like Wang has.

I do know, that I've never read about Phoenix having $425m-$450 left on it's local cable deal.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I said I was trying to reserve judgement but I can't. I can't comment on what Wang was to do as none of us know all the details in full. Wang didn't help though as no one wanted to work with him. He's no angel here.
So in 2005, when Wang was awarded the development project, no one wanted to work with him?

After the County's partisan politics and the nimby crowd, derailed that Lighthouse deal, a few pols indicated Wang could build his arena on the Coliseum land if he paid for it. I guess, that's another sign no one wanted to work with him?

Old
11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
I've no idea if Phoenix has 100 luxury suites to fill, like Wang has.

I do know, that I've never read about Phoenix having $425m-$450 left on it's local cable deal.

I think what he meant to say was that it looks like hockey at America West Arena, the Yotes' first home in Phoenix. Very asymmetrical.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:49 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Ratner said Wang had significant offers out of state and chose to stay in NY.

No NYI owner was able to get a new arena deal in TOH/nassau. Politicians are to blame for that not Wang.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:39 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I think what he meant to say was that it looks like hockey at America West Arena, the Yotes' first home in Phoenix. Very asymmetrical.

If he's not trolling, then my bad.
nyrmetros has previously downplayed the possibilty of the isles moving to Queens/Brooklyn.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Nolanitis

I will reserve judgement until I get to see a game there. But it sure as hell beats Quebec, Seattle, KC or any other out of state area. Either way I will enjoy going to games there.

As for Wang building a arena in Nassau, I do believe that it was proposed. No tax help, no major transportation upgrades. It would have been tough to make back the money Wang would have had to put into the arena.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Jester9881

I dunno about you, but I'm going to buy a good seat. I could G.A.S if someone else can't see part of the ice.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Noob616

I don't see the issue here. The scoreboard isn't right over the center ice dot. Wow.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:23 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I don't see the issue here. The scoreboard isn't right over the center ice dot. Wow.
That's just an obvious thing to notice right off the bat that clearly indicates that the arena wasn't built with NHL hockey in mind.

What's going to be a bigger issue is the likely thousands of partially obstructed seats that are likely to exist at Barclays in hockey configuration.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:39 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
That's just an obvious thing to notice right off the bat that clearly indicates that the arena wasn't built with NHL hockey in mind.

What's going to be a bigger issue is the likely thousands of partially obstructed seats that are likely to exist at Barclays in hockey configuration.
Thousands? Exhaggerate much? Where did you get that from? They currently have 14,500 unobstructed seats and plan to add 500-1000 more which that status isn't known now. Do you just make stuff up for fun?

Old
11-19-2012, 11:08 AM
CREW99AW

The NY Post and NY Daily News, are reporting wildly different rent figures.

The Post says the isles will pay more then $14m a yr in rent, while the Daily News says the Isles will pay $6m a yr in rent.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/catego...ork-islanders/
■The Daily News reports that while lease details weren’t disclosed, “the monthly rent is expected to be more than the $14 million a year the Islanders were willing to pay for a new Long Island home.” If so, that’d be a mild coup for the Barclays Center — $14 million a year comes to $350,000 per game, which should be enough to make up for any loss of concerts — though the more interesting question is how and whether the Islanders will share in proceeds from such things as concessions and sale of luxury suites, which currently all go to the arena owners. [UPDATE: As Norman Oder notes below, the New York Post projects the rent as $6 million a year, which is, obviously, a lot less.]

Old
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
KevFu

Quote:
The NY Post and NY Daily News, are reporting wildly different rent figures.

The Post says the isles will pay more then $14m a yr in rent, while the Daily News says the Isles will pay $6m a yr in rent.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/catego...ork-islanders/
■The Daily News reports that while lease details weren’t disclosed, “the monthly rent is expected to be more than the $14 million a year the Islanders were willing to pay for a new Long Island home.” If so, that’d be a mild coup for the Barclays Center — $14 million a year comes to $350,000 per game, which should be enough to make up for any loss of concerts — though the more interesting question is how and whether the Islanders will share in proceeds from such things as concessions and sale of luxury suites, which currently all go to the arena owners. [UPDATE: As Norman Oder notes below, the New York Post projects the rent as $6 million a year, which is, obviously, a lot less.]
I think there's a huge difference between "rent" and "distribution of revenues."

Most likely, Barclays will be making $14 million a season off the Islanders, but only a fraction of that is calculated in rent (perhaps where the estimate of $6 million comes in).

Odds are, they have a "two-way" deal where the arena gets $14 million from hosting Islanders games.
The more revenue the Islanders bring the arena, the lower the rent.
If the Islanders bring in far less than estimates, they have higher rent to cover the difference so Barclays gets their $14 mil.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote