HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Blake Geoffrion Crunched by Jp Cote, Suffers Fractured Skull

Old
11-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Clowe Me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Huge hit. Wish players would stop retaliating afterwards though.
They see a teammate get hurt from a huge hit, they aren't watching from their couches using slo-mo and multiple angles.

As long as big hits are thrown at top speed, there will be retaliation. And I love it.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:11 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

horrifying injury. but if you are going to hit to hurt, not hit to separate the man from the puck - the reason why there's contact in hockey in the first place - then i hve no problem with a you getting a little retaliation

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Standard body checks shouldn't be starting fights (and they rarely do)
COOL! I wanna watch the games you've been watching!! The 90 or so games I see every year routinely feature bearhug scrums after clean hits. I'd say it happens about 5 to 8 times a game on average, although that is going purely on memory and my perception obviously. Doesn't add anything to the game, and doesn't send any messages to the other team that they don't know already.

Total waste of everyone's time, and it's sad because it doesn't have to be that way. Refs just have to enforce the actual rules, is all.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
COOL! I wanna watch the games you've been watching!! The 90 or so games I see every year routinely feature bearhug scrums after clean hits. I'd say it happens about 5 to 8 times a game on average, although that is going purely on memory and my perception obviously. Doesn't add anything to the game, and doesn't send any messages to the other team that they don't know already.

Total waste of everyone's time, and it's sad because it doesn't have to be that way. Refs just have to enforce the actual rules, is all.

just don't watch if you don't like it. Each time a scrum start, the fan in the building stand up and get crazy.

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
This is part of the issue. That was 100% clean. An awesome, textbook hit. WHY should anyone have to defend themself after throwing that hit? Thats ridiculous.
Because it was a damaging hit? You can throw big body checks and let it go but if your teamate stays on the ice, you better defend him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
sunnyvale420

I think scrumming after a hit is nothing more than posturing BS that is a waste of time and energy for the players involved, the refs who have to break up the smelly glove pansies who usually wont drop the gloves yet will delay the game for the rest of us.

My view on 'standing up for your teammates' is that it is very selfish. What if you cause a whistle when your team is on an odd man rush? Does the coach care that the rookie got knocked down because he doesnt keep his head up, or does he care that you just ruined a scoring chance and now may be in the penalty box for 2-5?

The team thing should be playing hockey. Save the scrum energy for your next shift (which will be a lot sooner than being in the box or having a seat next to the backup)

I loathe scrums to the point of thinking 90% of players have glove sweat fetishs

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:07 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
I think scrumming after a hit is nothing more than posturing BS that is a waste of time and energy for the players involved, the refs who have to break up the smelly glove pansies who usually wont drop the gloves yet will delay the game for the rest of us.

My view on 'standing up for your teammates' is that it is very selfish. What if you cause a whistle when your team is on an odd man rush? Does the coach care that the rookie got knocked down because he doesnt keep his head up, or does he care that you just ruined a scoring chance and now may be in the penalty box for 2-5?

The team thing should be playing hockey. Save the scrum energy for your next shift (which will be a lot sooner than being in the box or having a seat next to the backup)

I loathe scrums to the point of thinking 90% of players have glove sweat fetishs
Most coaches and everybody who has played hockey on a competitive level would disagree with you. One lost rush is nothing in comparison to the specter of having an important player out for a prolonged period of time, which one guy taking a run on someone on your team frequently does. Which is why it must be answered immediately. Not so a player can prove something to himself. To change a future outcome.

Now, a scrum probably isn't the right thing to do. The right thing to do is to drop your gloves and clobber the offending guy so he, and everybody on the ice, know not to ever try something like that again, whether he's willing to go or not. You'll notice nobody finishes a check on Lucic. And you'll notice Lucic isn't on IR very often. It's because Lucic reacts to someone taking liberties with him like this

I'd bet money that that mutant on the rangers never punches Karlsson in the face again after Neil injured him on purpose with a legal check and Carkner rode him like a donkey in front of 500k viewers.

Or, if you know the guy will just turtle like a rat, you can go the Gonchar/Gilmour/Kovalev/Keith route of just putting him out of the game on purpose and taking the 5 and possible suspension.

Vancouver fans will be here shortly to scream bloody murder. But what they fail to understand is that due to Keith's actions, Sedin (and any other Canucks who were wondering) will have learned never to hit Duncan Keith in the head again, just like Clutterbuck never hit Gonchar late and high after Gonchar did the same thing to Clutterbuck that Keith did to Sedin, Tucker never hit Kovalev high again after Kovalev did the same thing, and Kasparaitis never went low on Gilmour after DG took his knee out behind the play, screwing it up permanently (etc etc). Whether it's right or not is irrelevant, when the idea is to effect a particular outcome. And in that sense, this response is effective.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post

If I was a coach I would hate it if my players would not retaliate. This is your comrade in arms laying on the ice.

I'm not talking about normal hits here. I'm talking about punishing dangerous hits whether they are clean or not.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:35 AM
sunnyvale420

I would agree that massive hits that have obviously hurt/shook the hitee could deserve a pummeling. With that however as weve seen, players may fake or overstate injuries so that hitter does get a lesson, or even better a penalty.

I like big clean hits, even just good clean checks. What happened to hipchecks? They seem to have almost dissapeared. Im a canucks fan with a slight homer view however they are just the team im able to watch most. It did seem odd that the quiet NHL crackdown on hipchecks coincided with the canucks getting great hipcheckers in Hamhuis and Ballard, conspiracy i know right. Conversely it seems that hipchecks started getting lower and lower with some players even getting reputations for clipping. I just miss the days of Rob Blake checks.

In summary i believe players have less respect for each other these days and are just waiting for an excuse to blow up on someone. Whether in the form of a dangerous hit, or looking for a fight. You can hate your opponent and respect them

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote