HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness V: Your cable bill is going up|Presser Tue @ 9:30am ET/6:30am PT

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
wilner likes boneface batting #2 (wicked obp vs righties
noting cabrera doesnt walk much (although if he hits over .300........
Well one of the benefits for Cabrera in the 2 hole is he gets lots of contact which is ok since Reyes has the speed to still advance on an out if it is put in play rather then what we did this year and that's strike out.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Well one of the benefits for Cabrera in the 2 hole is he gets lots of contact which is ok since Reyes has the speed to still advance on an out if it is put in play rather then what we did this year and that's strike out.
Rasmus hit his best in the #2 slot last season. Spring Training will be to see who hits there I guess

Old
11-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Rasmus hit his best in the #2 slot last season. Spring Training will be to see who hits there I guess
Well if the difference is Rasmus hitting .240 in the #2 hole vs hitting .220 anywhere else I would rather have Cabrera there hitting close to .300. Rasmus' production doesn't matter if the top of the order is getting on base for the core of the lineup.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
It won't be Colby

Old
11-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I hope they name Riggleman today so we can have one hell of a intro press conference with the new players as well.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Well if the difference is Rasmus hitting .240 in the #2 hole vs hitting .220 anywhere else I would rather have Cabrera there hitting close to .300. Rasmus' production doesn't matter if the top of the order is getting on base for the core of the lineup.
It's whatever helps the team. If Rasmus hit's .280 (because he's not having a bad season) in the 2 slot, compared to a lower number at the bottom of the order, Cabrera can hit .300 in the 5 slot as well.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:18 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Agreed. The only benefit I see from alot of Walks from the #2 spot is that it gets the pitcher slightly deeper into the pitchcount earlier, but other than that I'd still rather have a better hitter there. A hit is more demoralizing to the opposition than a walk, and it opens up a stronger chance for a 1st-to-3rd opportunity for Reyes (assuming he's already on). I'm not too worried about a GIDP scenario given Reyes baserunning ability.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:21 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
To be fair, he was an interim coach in 98 and he quit from Washington because they wouldn't talk money.

I'm a little nervous about a coach who coached in the big leagues when we were competitive (given our reliance on statistics as a team).
Bjindaho... want to clarify what you mean by that? I think that Riggleman has likely adapted his style since then. A couple of coincidental examples are Buck Showalter and Davey Johnson (managers of the year ) Both managed back when we were still on top.

And its not about "chances" with coaches (what that other poster said). Coaches get fired and often it doesn't have to do with their skill as a manager. Sometimes a fresh face is needed etc.

Riggleman fits perfect with our #JERKBALL or #SWAGGERBALL theme. Oh you don't want to extend me? See ya later Nats.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:25 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

When the hell is this trade approval?

Old
11-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Bjindaho... want to clarify what you mean by that? I think that Riggleman has likely adapted his style since then. A couple of coincidental examples are Buck Showalter and Davey Johnson (managers of the year ) Both managed back when we were still on top.

And its not about "chances" with coaches (what that other poster said). Coaches get fired and often it doesn't have to do with their skill as a manager. Sometimes a fresh face is needed etc.

Riggleman fits perfect with our #JERKBALL or #SWAGGERBALL theme. Oh you don't want to extend me? See ya later Nats.
A younger manager is more likely to follow some of the stats that are relevant to what the team does (positioning, splits).

Old
11-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

I think we have more pressure to find the right manager now... personally, he's not my first choice, but I think it will be Manny Acta. It just makes too much sense.

Also, people say he has a bad winning % (which he does) but if I remember correctly he had bad teams.

Also, the fact that he has coaached the most games with the lowest win %, is like the Cujo has (well had) the most losses by a goalie.... there is a reason he played all those games (not really explained well, but you guys get my drift)

Old
11-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
When the hell is this trade approval?
It's filed for approval (per Davidi), just need Reyes and one other player ( i think) to finish their physicals

Old
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
A younger manager is more likely to follow some of the stats that are relevant to what the team does (positioning, splits).
I'd be surprised if AA doesn't hire a guy who thinks like he does in terms of statistics.

Thats the one thing through all of this... I trust that AA has done his homework extra thoroughly... Whether its Melky, or one of the Marlins wanting to come to Toronto. AA's got his bases covered.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:30 AM
topched

Quote:
It's filed for approval (per Davidi), just need Reyes and one other player ( i think) to finish their physicals
If its filed it means that Reyes physical is already done. Because all paper work had been filed...

I think its just a matter of does the MLB office approve it on the weekend or wait until they're back in business on Monday.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
If its filed it means that Reyes physical is already done. Because all paper work had been filed...

I think its just a matter of does the MLB office approve it on the weekend or wait until they're back in business on Monday.
Oh okay, that makes sense.

Probably will be done Monday, it's the off-season, so doubt they are in the offices today, for sure not tommorow

Old
11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Does anyone know where I can find the Romero interview from a few days ago?

Old
11-17-2012, 10:40 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

#BlueJays have not contacted Riggleman, according to his agent, Burton Rocks. Would be interested in job. Has always wanted to manage Reyes.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Does anyone know where I can find the Romero interview from a few days ago?
It was on 590 right? so maybe on their site

Old
11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Bjindaho

I'm hoping the next moves are Napoli for DH and Lind+Rasmus traded to make up the money end. At that point, Gose/Bonifacio would be our CF.

It's sad that we are approaching the point where moving a Lind and Rasmus could give us the asset to close our last hole in the lineup.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Jays are close to announcing their next manager. Two of the final names they discussed were Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman.

but

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

#BlueJays have not contacted Riggleman, according to his agent, Burton Rocks. Would be interested in job. Has always wanted to manage Reyes.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
It was on 590 right? so maybe on their site
I believe it was done by the mlb.com crew and I haven't been able to find it there.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwice View Post
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Jays are close to announcing their next manager. Two of the final names they discussed were Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman.

interesting...
No. Just **** no to Jim Tracy. God damn, I would rather see them pick some inexperienced manager over Jim Tracy.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
No. Just **** no to Jim Tracy. God damn, I would rather see them pick some inexperienced manager over Jim Tracy.
You know AA, if those names are being discussed in the media that definitely means that he does NOT have them on his list.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Its gonna be kinda fun when there is a press conference and it includes the manager, players from the blockbuster trade and Melky Cabrera.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Its gonna be kinda fun when there is a press conference and it includes the manager, players from the blockbuster trade and Melky Cabrera.
That's gonna be one crowded table. Might have to do it in shifts.

Closed Thread