HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

assuming there is no season where do the top ufa's go?

Old
11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Yes but Clowe can bring the same at a smaller price tag.
Clowe will likely be overpayed. Players of his skill set are rare. IMO anything over 4mil is an overpayment for Clowe. I have a feeling though someone will give him 4.5+.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:31 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Clowe will likely be overpayed. Players of his skill set are rare. IMO anything over 4mil is an overpayment for Clowe. I have a feeling though someone will give him 4.5+.
he is basically a 50 point winger with a specific kind of a skill set. i think he will get closer to $5 million outside of san jose. he might sign for less in san jose. the only way he is closer to $4 million is if someone offers him term in the 5 year range. id think at his age he would take the sure contract at a slightly discounted rate.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Violent By Design

I would love the Pens giving Iginla a retirement contract to finish his career on Sid's wing. That said I think Iginla retires a Flame.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Sutter16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
I would love the Pens giving Iginla a retirement contract to finish his career on Sid's wing. That said I think Iginla retires a Flame.
Yeah i'd love that too but i think your right. Unless Calgary realizes it's time to rebuild and trade him

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:52 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Ottawa will let Gonchar walk. Would like to pitch a substantial offer Edler's way, but they may just try and find another top-4 guy instead. Alfredsson will either re-up or he'll retire.

Edmonton will re-sign Smid and make an offer to Whitney. Khabi is let go. If Whitney walks, they'll try and find another D. They'll probably pursue a second young goalie to push Dubynk or a veteran backup who can take the reigns when Dubnyk struggles.

11-17-2012, 11:11 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Under the current CBA, if salary cap is reduced than expect it to go down a bit.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:13 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Ottawa will let Gonchar walk. Would like to pitch a substantial offer Edler's way, but they may just try and find another top-4 guy instead. Alfredsson will either re-up or he'll retire.

Edmonton will re-sign Smid and make an offer to Whitney. Khabi is let go. If Whitney walks, they'll try and find another D. They'll probably pursue a second young goalie to push Dubynk or a veteran backup who can take the reigns when Dubnyk struggles.
i rhink backstrom is the perfect goalie for edmonton also perfect for the Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
seanlinden

From a Leaf standpoint, they should be throwing the world at Ryan Getzlaf, however our inability to sign both him & Perry combined with the fact that he wouldn't be joining a good team I think would put that out of the running.

At that point, I think you're stuck with the status quo. Connolly/Lombardi go, Lupul stays, MacAthur probably 50/50, and try to sign a blueliner or entice Nicklas Backstrom to Toronto.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:48 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
From a Leaf standpoint, they should be throwing the world at Ryan Getzlaf, however our inability to sign both him & Perry combined with the fact that he wouldn't be joining a good team I think would put that out of the running.

At that point, I think you're stuck with the status quo. Connolly/Lombardi go, Lupul stays, MacAthur probably 50/50, and try to sign a blueliner or entice Nicklas Backstrom to Toronto.
signing even 1 of them MAKE us a good team hell just signing backstrom makes us a good team I believe 90% of this teams issues stem from no goalie

Old
11-18-2012, 01:18 AM
nmbr_24

I was looking over what the salary and cap space would be for teams after this season. Looking at committed salary, RFA's who will be getting raises and the sheer amount of players a few teams need to sign, if the salary cap goes down you can pretty much cross out Boston, Minnesota, Philly, Vacouver, Chicago, NYR, Montreal, Tampa, Pittsburgh, San Jose as teams who will sign any premium UFA's.

You have a team like Boston who have most of their players signed except for a couple of guys all the way to Pittsburgh who will need to either sign, re-sign or promote around 6-8 players for what might be $8 million if the cap goes down.

All of those teams could trade players for prospects or picks to free up salary as well, but they will have a much harder time than a team like St Louis would if they decided to go after any of these players.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:50 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Minnesota re-signs Backstrom to a 2 year agreement. Not going to rush Hackett and Backstrom has been a pretty good goaltender.

PM Bouchard retires. Too many concussions, too much of a risk.

Matt Cullen retires and takes a job within the Wild organization.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:17 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
signing even 1 of them MAKE us a good team hell just signing backstrom makes us a good team I believe 90% of this teams issues stem from no goalie
Yet if there's no season, the only objective way to look at the Leafs is that they're the 5th worst team in the league.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Sutter16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I was looking over what the salary and cap space would be for teams after this season. Looking at committed salary, RFA's who will be getting raises and the sheer amount of players a few teams need to sign, if the salary cap goes down you can pretty much cross out Boston, Minnesota, Philly, Vacouver, Chicago, NYR, Montreal, Tampa, Pittsburgh, San Jose as teams who will sign any premium UFA's.

You have a team like Boston who have most of their players signed except for a couple of guys all the way to Pittsburgh who will need to either sign, re-sign or promote around 6-8 players for what might be $8 million if the cap goes down.

All of those teams could trade players for prospects or picks to free up salary as well, but they will have a much harder time than a team like St Louis would if they decided to go after any of these players.
The Penguins have moves they can make. Trading Paul Martin and his 5 million dollar cap hit. Letting Tyler Kennedy walk away and another 2 million gone. Maybe Orpik gets traded too but i doubt that happens.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:48 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Yet if there's no season, the only objective way to look at the Leafs is that they're the 5th worst team in the league.
you look purely at numbers but numbers can be manipulated. Here is a number for you 10th that ix where the leaf offense ranked. If you have a top 10 offense and you are still losing more then are winning it does't mean you have a bad roster you can't with a top 10 offense.

What it means is you have WAY WAY below average goaltending as any romotely compotent goalie can get a team that featured an all rookie team d man in gardiner, one of the most dangerous 1-2 punches on wing last season in Kessel and Lupul and an all star D in Phaneuf to the playoffs.

Sloution add backstrom the roster has some holes but isn't bad the goaltending is disgraceful fix it and the team will be solid especially given we have a top coach imo in carlyle

Old
11-18-2012, 12:14 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
If the whole season is wiped out, no team will trade for Antropov when they can get him as free agent in July. Just saying because the OP suggested "if the entire season were to be wiped out".
I didn't fully read the OP, either way I just don't see Antropov as a Jet next year.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:42 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
you look purely at numbers but numbers can be manipulated. Here is a number for you 10th that ix where the leaf offense ranked. If you have a top 10 offense and you are still losing more then are winning it does't mean you have a bad roster you can't with a top 10 offense.

What it means is you have WAY WAY below average goaltending as any romotely compotent goalie can get a team that featured an all rookie team d man in gardiner, one of the most dangerous 1-2 punches on wing last season in Kessel and Lupul and an all star D in Phaneuf to the playoffs.

Sloution add backstrom the roster has some holes but isn't bad the goaltending is disgraceful fix it and the team will be solid especially given we have a top coach imo in carlyle
There is absolutely no way to manipulate the fact that based on the most recent history, there are 25 teams better than the Leafs.

Sure, you could start hyping up how some players may improve and how you're going to fix the problems, but every team is going to do that. At the end of the day you resort to the undisputable things.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:29 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:

i think most people would agree that adding getzlaf and perry to the leafs would go a significantly long way into making them a good team. just because the leafs arent good before they get here doesnt mean they cant be good after.

maybe im an optimist but i think if burke pulled off a miracle the leafs would be very exciting and have a pretty good chance to make the playoffs and possibly win a round or so as well.

lupul-getzlaf-kessel
jvr-grabs-perry
kulemin-bozak-fratin/kadri
brown-mclemment-komorov

phaneuf-gunnarson
liles-gardiner
komisarek-holzer/franson

reimer/scrivens

obviously the goalie situation is weak and our defense depends on gardiner getting even better, holzer being able to hold his own and komisarek getting his **** together. either way it is a formidable forward squad that it is as good as any in the league in terms of depth.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
Datsyuk with Perry would be so ridiculous.
Fight!

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Devils overpay for Perry.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
There is absolutely no way to manipulate the fact that based on the most recent history, there are 25 teams better than the Leafs.

Sure, you could start hyping up how some players may improve and how you're going to fix the problems, but every team is going to do that. At the end of the day you resort to the undisputable things.
Having a shoddy goaltender has a huge affect on the rest of the team. Dmen start to play 'safe' & second guess themselves, forwards tend to play deeper in their own zone. Playing in front of weak goaltending forces these guys to play less confidently, and that in itself puts the Leafs as a team at a major disadvantage.

IF Burke brought in a Luongo, Backstrom, Thomas, etc.. IMO you would see the Leafs players playing a lil more confidently just knowing they didnt have to constantly cover their goalies 'arse'.

Burke's Checklist:

#1 goaltender

Top-6 center (not neccesarily a #1 center, just a solid top-6 guy, ex.Weiss, Krejci, Roy, etc)

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
oilersfan11

Oilers sign Ryane Clowe
Oilers sign Niklas Backstrom
Oilers sign Ryan Getzlaf
Oilers sign Alex Edler
Oilers sign Nathan Horton

Done,anybody got a problem with that!

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
EDM sign Clarkson to add size and toughness in the top 6, then sign Zajac to be the 2C that this team needs and Edler say wow this is a cup team and sign. Can you say welcome cup.
Clarkson; RNH; Eberle
Hall; Zajac; Yak
Very nice top 6
Schultz; Schultz
Smid; Edler
Petry; Klefbom
I would like that dmen core.
Since when does Clarkson play left wing?From what I've seen,he is only able to play right wing.The best player that fits long term for the Oilers is Ryane Clowe.

Trade Ales Hemsky
Trade Sam Gagner
Sign Ryane Clowe
Sign Travis Zajac

Ryane Clowe-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Nail Yakupov
Taylor Hall-Travis Zajac-Jordan Eberle

Perfect top 6 .

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Having a shoddy goaltender has a huge affect on the rest of the team. Dmen start to play 'safe' & second guess themselves, forwards tend to play deeper in their own zone. Playing in front of weak goaltending forces these guys to play less confidently, and that in itself puts the Leafs as a team at a major disadvantage.

IF Burke brought in a Luongo, Backstrom, Thomas, etc.. IMO you would see the Leafs players playing a lil more confidently just knowing they didnt have to constantly cover their goalies 'arse'.

Burke's Checklist:

#1 goaltender

Top-6 center (not neccesarily a #1 center, just a solid top-6 guy, ex.Weiss, Krejci, Roy, etc)
just me or are we agreeing A LOT lately?

Old
11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcanuck View Post
If Streit does become UFA, why would he leave a young team with to join another team that similar to the Islanders?? makes no sense at all. He's 34 yrs old I doubt he would like to spend the last couple of years in his career watching young players develop...

I could see him in Anaheim, Detroit or take a paycut and play for contenders like Pitt, SJ and..............................Vancouver
dont underestimate the jedi powers of Ralph Kruger. He may convince Streit to come and play for him again.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
IF this season gets wiped out the 2013 NHL free agent class will be the deepest it's been since 2002 when belfour cjuo geruin holik amonte and ritcher headlined free agencey. Names like getzlaf perry zajac clarkson weiss iginla rebeiro backstrom howard simth thomas regehr and edler lupul all set to hit free agency.

with that in mind where do you think the top names end up?

for us I see us resigning lupul and going HARD after the likes of clarkson howard getzlaf perry obiviously not ending up with all 4 but I think those would be the 4 targets and I do think that if he hits free agency clarkson will end up in Toronto.

who will your team target? who goes where?
Who the heck are geruin and cjuo, and who are Howard Smith and Thomas Regher?

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote