HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Toronto @ Hamilton | 7:30pm est | TVA Sports

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Sad lineup the Marlies has considering that both Frattin and Gardiner are gone when the NHL resumes....But the boys played great. Keep saying to give Naatinen more icetime and he'll use it fine. Great to see Avtsin on the scoring sheet. Would have love to see Alex be stronger though. That will clearly stopped him from the big league if it doesn't change.

Oh and that Beaulieu fixation is funny. My day was complete when I heard Pedneault that based on what we saw so far, the Habs have to be "worried".....Thanks Yvon, I didn't have a good laugh all day....

Old
11-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Great game by the Dogs. Ellis is finally starting to pick up some steam. Not that he was bad before, but I thought that was his first really good game. Tinordi had a good game too. But to me, the highlight of the game was Desjardins, Nattinen and Avtsin. Great first game for the lanky Russian. He drove the net, played some solid hockey and was very noticeable. His defensive game is subpar though. But his decision making is decent enough that he's not a liability on the ice. Nattinen just keeps impressing me. He should be a leader on this team, please give him more icetime. He does it all.

Amazing work by Desjardins. Great to see him back. That glove save in the first period was epic. He really kept his team in the game.

He didn't see a lot of ice today, sadly, but Holland shined everytime he touched the surface. He's a special talent. Gallagher was obviously all over the place and a pain in the ass to play against. Love that guy. I haven't mentioned him much so far in my game reviews, but Bournival really stood out today. Probably his best game so far.

I thought Beaulieu had a decent first period. I liked that he was paired with Corbin and St-Denis with Ellis. Sadly, he had a really terrible 2nd period. Very, very bad. But he's learning. He's a raw talent. He'll get better. I think he has an overall better attitude than Hainsey at the same age (from what I heard of both, although to be honest, it's not much) so I'm hoping he'll take the criticism and grow from it. I was hoping he'd get everything together quickly, but it will probably a long process. He doesn't have Subban's energy and mental toughness. But he sure has the tools. He really looks like a player with no confidence right now, which is a stern contrast from earlier this season. Once he'll get out of this cold streak, he'll be once again a lot of fun to watch.

And finally, a special mention to Corbin who I thought played a solid game.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Beaulieu just needs what Subban got with a full season in the AHL. It's just a question of how fast he can adjust. Taking stupid penalties though, isn't going to help that's for sure. Hope he gets his "zen" back soon enough.
Beaulieu should spend at least 2 full seasons in Hamilton, same for Tinordi

Old
11-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

My boy Corbin played a good game. Loved him going after the leaf player for the late shot

Avtsin with a goal, an assist and a block. At times he seemed lazy and uninterested but he did well. Team seems to love him.

Nattinen looks like he has the tools to be a bottom 6 guy.

I like Beaulieu to get fired up, but not take a dumb penalty over it.

Gallagher. Nothing I can add

I hope someone drills Kadri today. Guy's a ***** and probably sensing that he's on thin ice with the leafa organization

Old
11-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

And another thing....funny how "stupid penalties" seems to be always worst on players that seemingly has the most attitude issues....I've seen A LOT of stupid penalties taken from almost everybody on the team from lazyness to roughing and all. Yet, when Beaulieu does it.....or Subban....hey shoot the guy. Mind you, I have no problem with Lefebvre sitting a kid who will most likely use that time to reflect on his game. You can even not dress him for 1 or 2 games. But it's the reaction towards a NORMAL development curve for a high-end prospect like him that makes me laugh. Somehow, even your last Norris trophy winner was seen as an incredibly liability defensively (though some will say he still is...), yet, you can improve from that and can make a living out of not being a safe and sound d-man. People one day will realize that players who keeps shooting the puck in the glass and always stay behind will ALWAYS look better. But players, young ones, who you count on to distribute the puck, skate with it and produce, will often be blasted....

Old
11-17-2012, 08:43 AM
domdo345

I thought Avtsin played a real good north american game last night! He dumped the puck when no option, he was forechecking hard, he played good along the boards on the breakout and crashed the net which got him 2 pts. Definitely did not look like a Russian trying to adapt.

Corbin; he played a good game but the praise has to stop here. The guy handles the puck like a grenade in his own zone. Countless of times he just rimmed the puck on the boards hoping for a teammate to be there. He does not have anything else that is elite to the point where it is acceptable to rim the puck like that on breakouts. It gives the other team the puck possession most of the times and personally, I hate when D's do this. It just ruins the progression for a quick attack.

Beaulieu: Good on Lefebvre to give his message. When things are not going too well, showing frustration in your play is the worst thing to do. What I hate from TVA sports and people saying he's playing bad defensively; The last game versus the Americans, he was -3 on two 3vs2 where the forwards didn't read the play well on the backcheck leaving a guy all alone (3vs2 are not Dman's fault because when well executed, they can't prevent a good scoring chance) and his other minus was on a lost draw with a shot from the point. How is that poor defense? I know he hasn't been great, but looking at the numbers really do not tell how the goals were scored. Now, Beaulieu is one of the few (Pateryn was doing it also) to actively trying to reach a teammate's stick on breakouts. He will accept the check to make his play and not make the coward move of rimming the puck not to get hit. However, he holds on a bit to long to be really effective, but he will definitely adapt. What he really needs to work on: his shot accuracy and he needs to shoot it faster.

Gallagher: Love this kid, everything has been said about him. I pity those on his line that constantly have to get him off the opposite goalie in scrums lol.

Bournival: He really got his jump back, particularly in the neutral zone. When the kid is using his speed, we can really see the confidence growing.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And another thing....funny how "stupid penalties" seems to be always worst on players that seemingly has the most attitude issues....I've seen A LOT of stupid penalties taken from almost everybody on the team from lazyness to roughing and all. Yet, when Beaulieu does it.....or Subban....hey shoot the guy. Mind you, I have no problem with Lefebvre sitting a kid who will most likely use that time to reflect on his game. You can even not dress him for 1 or 2 games. But it's the reaction towards a NORMAL development curve for a high-end prospect like him that makes me laugh. Somehow, even your last Norris trophy winner was seen as an incredibly liability defensively (though some will say he still is...), yet, you can improve from that and can make a living out of not being a safe and sound d-man. People one day will realize that players who keeps shooting the puck in the glass and always stay behind will ALWAYS look better. But players, young ones, who you count on to distribute the puck, skate with it and produce, will often be blasted....
If there was NHL hockey right now, nobody would pay attention to Nathan Beaulieu's mistakes since they don't show up on a stats sheet.

He deserved to get benched yesterday. He had a very bad 2nd period and the penalty was the cherry on top of the **** sundae. Those kind of situation, if he has the right attitude about 'em, will make him a better player in the long run. I do agree though that he's not the only one taking dumb penalties. Why Stortini can get away with that ****, never drops the gloves and do nothing else on the ice I'll never understand, but yeah... As you said, it's kind of in the nature of this type of player it seems (Beaulieu's that is).

It's amusing to hear some people panicking about him. There's absolutely nothing to be worried about.

Also, for the love of god please stop pairing St-Denis and Beaulieu together, even on the PP. Those two don't understand one another at all.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somehow, I'd love to see Tinordi way more on the PP. He will do good out there.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Somehow, I'd love to see Tinordi way more on the PP. He will do good out there.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he had some PP time in the third and actually looked good. I'm pretty sure he held the blue line on a very tough play too. His shot is pretty decent. I'd definitely like to see him get some PP time as well, he needs to develop every aspect of his game, or at least be given a chance to show whether he has those tools or not.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
There's a difference, and I'm not going to qualify that gap, between taking a stupid a penalty in the heat of the action and taking a stupid penalty way after the whistle right next to the ref. I hope he gets his cool back, otherwise imho there's no learning going on, only frustration building up.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:37 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Should we start up another GDT for this afternoon's game?

Old
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Should we start up another GDT for this afternoon's game?
I don't mind either way.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
11-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Valois

Is this afternoon's game on Sportsnet Ontario? I'm gonna be mad psyched if this actually comes in on my "plug the cable in and see what happens" student TV plan.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valois View Post
Is this afternoon's game on Sportsnet Ontario? I'm gonna be mad psyched if this actually comes in on my "plug the cable in and see what happens" student TV plan.
yea the game is on TVA and Sportsnet.

Closed Thread